03/14/10 12:27 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Hi guys!

I have a few rare cars that I will be restoring in the following years.

Cars such as an original all numbers matching 69 HEMI Charger, a 4406 pack shaker Challenger 4 speed plum crazy, a Lemon twist 71 cuda 440-6 4 speed BB go wing car, a couple 71 cuda verts, a TA Challenger, etc.

I nam really torn in between going after

A) an OEM correct resto on all of them (with primered underbodies with overspray, bare metal surfaces, paint drips, etc), OEM steel exhaust systems, steel brake lines, etc.
B) an over restored look with paint as nice as the outside on the undeside as well, inner body panels, 3 stage paint all over. Detailed components,upgrade to stainless steel fuel and brake lines that are exact in appereance and function to the originals but polished stainless to keep them loking great forever, etc.

Problem is I do want to drive this cars some (I will care for them and only drive em occassionaly, but stillwant to enjoy them) and also I want them to keep looking nice, clean and fresh for as long as possible...something that cant be possible if shoting for an OEM resto where unpainted surfaces and primered undercarriages are bound to deteriorate QUICKLY if the cars arent treated like a full time trailer queen.

Problem is I might not keep them all ( I bought too many). I want to restore them all and sell some when the oportunity arises or after I decide which to keep and which not. But that may take a while and I do want to be able to recoup or make it as profitable as it could be when I sell...

So, do you think if I over restore the cars I might HURT their resale vale later on, or if they are done tastefully and extremely nice it should not matter much really even if they are not 100% OEM correct but made a little "better than new"?

Please not I would not use aftermarket parts, or cobble up stuff thats not supposed to be there from the factory. Im just talking about coating the whole body inn 2 stage urethane paint. Painting driveshafts and steering and suspension compoenents that are supposed to be bare metal, making the complete exhaust systems including the tips and mufflers in stainless steel resembling the originals in construction completely, stainless steel brake and fuel lines, etc.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639625
03/14/10 01:08 PM
03/14/10 01:08 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
domingo,
In looking at your list of cars, I would do OE resto's on at least some of them, since the values are quite high. What people don't realize, is that you CAN do an OE resto and drive them-just keep them out of the rain! No seriously, todays catalyzed primer is nothing like the old school stuff and holds up very well. We have some customers who drive their cars several times a month-even the OE ones.
If the bare metal treated parts are treated CORRECTLY, they too will look new for a long time. Doing this right can sometimes be tricky. If you see small surface rust developing, some 0000 steel wool and cosmoline fixes it quickly. While I understand some people want no maintenence, I hate going to shows and seeing a very rare car sitting in some restoration booth with a bunch of painted or powdercoated suspension parts. If that is what an owner wants I'm all for it-but for an ultra rare car it seems like a shame. Whatever you do, ultimately you must be happy. You seem very knowledgable so I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

Last edited by Paul Jacobs; 03/14/10 01:09 PM.
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639626
03/14/10 01:26 PM
03/14/10 01:26 PM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
It is a little unpredictable as to how much the total of a complete rotisserie restoration will end up costing. I'm working on one now that I would be lucky to break even on if I sold it when it's done. However, I am not fixing it to sell but restoring it to enjoy driving it often for a few years. It may still be break even at best if I ever sell it. You have all very desireable cars. If you are mostly just restoring your cars to ultimately sell, you could end up with more invested than you can get out of them, especially your time? You will probably be just as well off to restore only the car(s) that you might want to keep and do nothing to the cars that you want to sell. My personal preference on cars like you have is not over-restored. You can restore the parts to original and treat them so they do not rust and typically, you just need to be concerned with a good cleaning up after driving in bad weather. How you store them is also a factor. You can probably still make the same or a reasonable amount of profit without all the cost, time and trouble of doing so many restorations. Whomever you sell the cars to can then have the option of restoring their cars to their own liking. If you sell them for a profit without doing anything to them, at least you know you made a profit. It may not be that easy to ensure that you make a profit by the time you have all that time and money invested in them?

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639627
03/14/10 02:02 PM
03/14/10 02:02 PM
Detroit
Kidsixpack Offline
master
Kidsixpack  Offline
master

Detroit
I have yet to meet anyone that has gone for an OE gold rsto. and drives their car. The two don't mix! I restored mine the way the factory would have done it if they took two years to do it. Drivability and durability.
KID

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639628
03/14/10 08:57 PM
03/14/10 08:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

...an over restored look ......I do want to drive this cars some

Definition of Restore: return to its original or usable and functioning condition.

Definition of Modification: alteration - the act of making something different.

There is no such thing as "over-restoring" anything. If you make it different than original it is modified. For some reason many folks have a problem with the correct definition so they re-label it with verbiage they can live with. Cars that are changed or altered from original are simply "Modified".

On a personal note, every OE restoration I have been involved with WAS restored as a daily driver. Whether it is being used for show or is to be driven everyday, the restoration is the same. It is important to have a vehicle that functions like a new car AND appears like new. There is nothing worse than having a nice looking piece of junk! How many of you have seen cars that look nice but when the show is over it takes 30 seconds of cranking to start them, they billow black smoke out of the exhaust, you can't breath within ten feet of them and they can't idle unless they are continuously brake torqued? If a car is "restored" correctly it can be driven any time and anywhere. Isn't that what these cars were capable of when they were brand new?! ALL of these vehicles were manufactured as "Drivers"! Just because someone chooses to let them sit doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't function properly!!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639629
03/14/10 09:41 PM
03/14/10 09:41 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

Quote:

Definition of Restore: return to its original or usable and functioning condition.

There is no such thing as "over-restoring" anything. If you make it different than original it is modified. For some reason many folks have a problem with the correct definition so they re-label it with verbiage they can live with. Cars that are changed or altered from original are simply "Modified".

On a personal note, every OE restoration I have been involved with WAS restored as a daily driver. Whether it is being used for show or is to be driven everyday, the restoration is the same. It is important to have a vehicle that functions like a new car AND appears like new. There is nothing worse than having a nice looking piece of junk! How many of you have seen cars that look nice but when the show is over it takes 30 seconds of cranking to start them, they billow black smoke out of the exhaust, you can't breath within ten feet of them and they can't idle unless they are continuously brake torqued? If a car is "restored" correctly it can be driven any time and anywhere. Isn't that what these cars were capable of when they were brand new?! ALL of these vehicles were manufactured as "Drivers"! Just because someone chooses to let them sit doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't function properly!!

I agree on your point of view. But I would not call a car with a fully painted ubibody underside and components that are supposed to be bare iron or steel painted to appear correct but avoid corrossion a "modified" car.

Nobody will argue that keeping the underisde of a restored car clean and nice is a lot easier when you are dealing with a clearcoated surface vs. a primered surface.

If you drive the car somewhat often the "correctly" done car will look like a used car pretty fast, unless you are really a slave to the car about keeping it super clean after each drive. But on the other hand, Oh well, I guess thats what you have to do when you drive a 200k car down the road that you spent 2 years restoring. It should not bother you.

Man o man. Im kinda torn in between what to do.

I think I will probably perform a full OE restoration on the most valuable cars and then on the clones or lesser valuable cars (or cars I intend on driving more often) Ill go for the "over restored" look.

-------------But getting back to the main question: Will a correctly restored car always bring more money or have more potential buyers and/or interested parties than an "over restored" car?-----------

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639630
03/14/10 10:27 PM
03/14/10 10:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If people were doing true OEM restos there would be surface rust on many of the under body componants just like the cars were when they were new sitting on the dealers lots.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639631
03/14/10 10:36 PM
03/14/10 10:36 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree on your point of view. But I would not call a car with a fully painted ubibody underside and components that are supposed to be bare iron or steel painted to appear correct but avoid corrossion a "modified" car.

Nobody will argue that keeping the underisde of a restored car clean and nice is a lot easier when you are dealing with a clearcoated surface vs. a primered surface.

If you drive the car somewhat often the "correctly" done car will look like a used car pretty fast, unless you are really a slave to the car about keeping it super clean after each drive. But on the other hand, Oh well, I guess thats what you have to do when you drive a 200k car down the road that you spent 2 years restoring. It should not bother you.

Man o man. Im kinda torn in between what to do.

I think I will probably perform a full OE restoration on the most valuable cars and then on the clones or lesser valuable cars (or cars I intend on driving more often) Ill go for the "over restored" look.

-------------But getting back to the main question: Will a correctly restored car always bring more money or have more potential buyers and/or interested parties than an "over restored" car?-----------

To answer your question. NO.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639632
03/14/10 10:40 PM
03/14/10 10:40 PM
Hiram, Georgia
474218 Offline
super stock
474218  Offline
super stock

Hiram, Georgia
Quote:

If people were doing true OEM restos there would be surface rust on many of the under body componants just like the cars were when they were new sitting on the dealers lots.

Like I said before: When I bought my new 69 RR it took me three weekends for remove all those annoying grease pencil marks that they put all over it.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639633
03/14/10 11:04 PM
03/14/10 11:04 PM
KY USA
mopargem Offline
master
mopargem  Offline
master

KY USA
Domingo, I think the best advice is to listen to RoadRunnerJD. Myself I have always been loaded up with more projects than a typical lifetime can complete no matter how deep the pocketbook. Half my cars are pretty nice and I may never finish the others before I trade them away for something different,but I'm ok with that,its a hobby for me. The fact of the matter is each car takes incredible effort and $$ to complete and you have to be honest with yourself and ask how many projects have I finished in how many years? can I really finish this many cars? I know your primary question was to what level of refurbishment to take your cars to but if resale is in mind, I think you would do well to sell some of them in as is condition and concentrate on the keepers.

68 Polara 500...LL1 Y7 M6X
69 Hemi road runner...X9 X9 M6X
69 A12 road runner....R4 R4 M6X
69 ModTop FLORAL Super Bee...F6 M6W
70 AAR 'cuda...EW1 EW1 H4X9
71 Duster 340...FJ6 V24 L6X9
71 road runner FC7 V1X M6X9

72 Rallye Charger B5 V1W

74 'cuda 360...KB5 V1X A6X9
08 SRT Challenger #234

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639634
03/14/10 11:38 PM
03/14/10 11:38 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
Quote:

For sure that they were indeed like that very soon after they left the factory, but the objective in an OE restoration is best case scenario the day it left the factory. Also in that all date codes/part numbers/factory procedures were duplicated as original to that car.
As stated by Dave, OE cars don't have to be dogs and should be as functional as they are beautiful. If you saw us at the 2009 Nats award ceremony, you would have seen us in the 1 of 12 HEMI GTX convert. slamming gears and getting rubber! If you can't do both, it's just a dog & pony show!
As for your question of getting the most $$$ out of which one, all I can say is the "prettier" of the 2 will appeal to more people. Many can't appreciate or even care what it takes to make a car OE correct-and that's fine. I actually overheard a guy laughing at an OE car, saying how sloppy the paint looked on the negative battery cable.. To each his own.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: Paul Jacobs] #639635
03/15/10 01:32 AM
03/15/10 01:32 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

For sure that they were indeed like that very soon after they left the factory, but the objective in an OE restoration is best case scenario the day it left the factory. Also in that all date codes/part numbers/factory procedures were duplicated as original to that car.
As stated by Dave, OE cars don't have to be dogs and should be as functional as they are beautiful. If you saw us at the 2009 Nats award ceremony, you would have seen us in the 1 of 12 HEMI GTX convert. slamming gears and getting rubber! If you can't do both, it's just a dog & pony show!
As for your question of getting the most $$$ out of which one, all I can say is the "prettier" of the 2 will appeal to more people. Many can't appreciate or even care what it takes to make a car OE correct-and that's fine. I actually overheard a guy laughing at an OE car, saying how sloppy the paint looked on the negative battery cable.. To each his own.

However many of our more beloved high dollar Mopars were sales bank cars such as A12s, AARs, T/As, Superbirds, and Daytonas and they sat there for a long time rusting long before they got to the dealer lots.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: HPMike] #639636
03/15/10 01:50 AM
03/15/10 01:50 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

It is not my point of view! I quoted the definition of each descriptive EXACTLY as they were taken from the dictionary. Whether you choose to accept or ignore that fact does not change reality one bit. If it is not restored to original specifications then it is modified. Plain and simple! Trying to decide which method will bring more money is like debating which color is prettier....Red or Blue? Facts are Facts and opinions are opinions. Do what you want and hopefully it will appeal to a buyer that has similar taste. As soon as you make a move either way, someone will always take the other side and come back with the typical, "Yeah but what about..... ".

Besides....people can't even convey a 100% non-opinionated FACT without someone responding with a contradicting phrase such as:

"But I would not call a car with a fully painted ubibody underside and components that are supposed to be bare iron or steel painted to appear correct but avoid corrossion a "modified" car."

Like it or not, if it didn't originally come like that from the factory then it has been Modified!!

Restore: Return to its original or usable and functioning condition.
Modification: Alteration - the act of making something different.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639637
03/15/10 02:03 AM
03/15/10 02:03 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

If people were doing true OEM restos there would be surface rust....

....and acid rain spots AND scratches that were caused by belt buckles of potential buyers that leaned over the cars AND salt corrosion from the salt trucks as they scattered salt when they passed by in the Winter AND on AND on. I guess one could come up with infinite scenarios in order to hide or excuse their inability to make an OE part look brand new again! I'll go out on a limb here to say that no metal part on a car was ever extruded, forged or stamped with deliberate or "built in" rust.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639638
03/15/10 02:10 AM
03/15/10 02:10 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

If people were doing true OEM restos there would be surface rust....

....and acid rain spots AND scratches that were caused by belt buckles of potential buyers that leaned over the cars AND salt corrosion from the salt trucks as they scattered salt when they passed by in the Winter AND on AND on. I guess one could come up with infinite scenarios in order to hide or excuse their inability to make an OE part look brand new again! I'll go out on a limb here to say that no metal part on a car was ever extruded, forged or stamped with deliberate or "built in" rust.

Yeah, that is all true but my post about the rust was written in the same flavor of your restored vs. modified post. You will never get 10 people to agree on where to draw the line on what they think is the difference between the two regardless of what the dictionary says.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639639
03/15/10 06:52 AM
03/15/10 06:52 AM
midwest
I
intragration Offline
enthusiast
intragration  Offline
enthusiast
I

midwest
It's only new once. Technically, if it's a 100% survivor with brake job, it's been modified. Having said that, I think it's kind of dumb to put all that time and money into a car that's purposely being restored in a way that is more prone to deteriorate. There will always be SOMETHING that the OE purists will complain about. There will ALWAYS be something that is not OE correct. A nice looking car stands on its own.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: intragration] #639640
03/15/10 07:39 AM
03/15/10 07:39 AM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

It's only new once. Technically, if it's a 100% survivor with brake job, it's been modified. Having said that, I think it's kind of dumb to put all that time and money into a car that's purposely being restored in a way that is more prone to deteriorate. There will always be SOMETHING that the OE purists will complain about. There will ALWAYS be something that is not OE correct. A nice looking car stands on its own.

That is a good point...

There are a couple of problems with going OEM route. To do a "true" OEM job, you really need assembly line or "lunch pail" parts at this point as the bar has been raised so high that the level is almost unobtainable at this time. It's gotten to where just NOS is no longer good enough in most cases. Where are we going to find all of the original dated exhaust, glass, and countless other misc parts to perform a job to achieve a true OE standard? Don't misinterpret what I am saying by thinking I don't like or respect the effort that goes into an OEM job. I do, and hats off to all that achieve that level. It is a Herculean effort at times.

I have seen time and time again where cars that had exceptional detail, yet weren't OE level, or were even very tastefully modified were reaching the highest levels of value. As Paul stated above more seem to focus on how "pretty" the car is rather than how correct it is.

MB

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: HPMike] #639641
03/15/10 10:14 AM
03/15/10 10:14 AM
NotRussia
2fast4yourBrain Offline
Whack top Dodger
2fast4yourBrain  Offline
Whack top Dodger

NotRussia
Redo to OEM specs for the cars you're going to flip.

Redo for lasting durability for the ones you're going to drive/keep.

Wasn't OEM using lacquer paint? Anyone still paint w/that?

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: intragration] #639642
03/15/10 10:27 AM
03/15/10 10:27 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

It's only new once. Technically, if it's a 100% survivor with brake job, it's been modified.

Not true! You have just changed and diverted the conversation from something "restored" versus it's "originality". Two completely different subjects! No one ever argued that it can only be original once. You CAN give a car a "brake job" and the vehicle can STILL be correct with regards to what it has been "restored" with. The vehicle originally came with specified "brakes". (Did the tie rods or other suspension pieces originally come with cast blast paint or powder coating?) If you change the brakes from drum to disc or from 10 inch to 11 inch, THAT is a different story. My only point was that in order to be a "Restoration" liberties cannot be taken that alters the appearance or specifications that originally came on a vehicle. Once again, if you replace the "brakes" with an exact duplicate of what it came with then you have "restored" that particular aspect of the vehicle. No one is debating whether it is still "original".

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: RoadRunnerJD] #639643
03/15/10 12:23 PM
03/15/10 12:23 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

It is a little unpredictable as to how much the total of a complete rotisserie restoration will end up costing. I'm working on one now that I would be lucky to break even on if I sold it when it's done. However, I am not fixing it to sell but restoring it to enjoy driving it often for a few years. It may still be break even at best if I ever sell it. You have all very desireable cars. If you are mostly just restoring your cars to ultimately sell, you could end up with more invested than you can get out of them, especially your time? You will probably be just as well off to restore only the car(s) that you might want to keep and do nothing to the cars that you want to sell. My personal preference on cars like you have is not over-restored. You can restore the parts to original and treat them so they do not rust and typically, you just need to be concerned with a good cleaning up after driving in bad weather. How you store them is also a factor. You can probably still make the same or a reasonable amount of profit without all the cost, time and trouble of doing so many restorations. Whomever you sell the cars to can then have the option of restoring their cars to their own liking. If you sell them for a profit without doing anything to them, at least you know you made a profit. It may not be that easy to ensure that you make a profit by the time you have all that time and money invested in them?

Yes, you are very right with what you say. However, some of these cars I got at a very good price, and they are pretty nice, they are not rustbuckets. I have a fully implemented shop of my own so I can do the work myself and not spend much on labour....besides I enjoy it and it is a hobby I can do parallel to other activities.

Yes, some I will try to sell without putting a dime or a minute of my time on them, others I will restore and sell, others I will keep. I have restored a few already so I know aprox how much iut takes to do each of them depending on their actual condition.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639644
03/15/10 12:48 PM
03/15/10 12:48 PM
West Coast, CA
T
Troy Offline
master
Troy  Offline
master
T

West Coast, CA
(....I'm looking for the beating a dead horse icon but I can't find it...)

With all that being said I think I have an answer for you. I live very close to some restorations shops and the norm today is for cars that will be sold is a nice restoration......using many repop parts....gray, painted undercarriages, keeping overspray to an minimum. Keeping the cost low so the profits are high. NOS parts cost a lot of money....repop parts are not original but costs a lot less. Once a NOS part is installed, it's no longer a NOS part so what's the point???

The 2%ers will NEVER get all the money out of the cars that they put into it. There even worse off if they paid somebody else to do the work. The market is just not there today.

There is one shop here that has got this down to a science. He makes the paint real nice....powder coats many of the parts for longevity, applies many of the inspection marks....he make the cars look good and sorry to say, that is where the money is AND you can drive the daylights out of it.

....there is nothing like driving my 1968 Hemi Dart around town and having people looking at you like you're nuts!!
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639645
03/15/10 12:56 PM
03/15/10 12:56 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

Quote:

It is not my point of view! I quoted the definition of each descriptive EXACTLY as they were taken from the dictionary. Whether you choose to accept or ignore that fact does not change reality one bit. If it is not restored to original specifications then it is modified. Plain and simple! Trying to decide which method will bring more money is like debating which color is prettier....Red or Blue? Facts are Facts and opinions are opinions. Do what you want and hopefully it will appeal to a buyer that has similar taste. As soon as you make a move either way, someone will always take the other side and come back with the typical, "Yeah but what about..... ".

Besides....people can't even convey a 100% non-opinionated FACT without someone responding with a contradicting phrase such as:

"But I would not call a car with a fully painted ubibody underside and components that are supposed to be bare iron or steel painted to appear correct but avoid corrossion a "modified" car."

Like it or not, if it didn't originally come like that from the factory then it has been Modified!!

I think its a bit too generic to put the so called "over-restored" cars into the same bag as the a "modified" car with 20" wheels,a viper drivetrain and a custom interior with a monster tach atop the dashboard.

Thats what there are also cars called "day 2 modified" which have era correct aftermarket modifications like ET II wheels, cable drive aftermarket tach, vintage milodon HEMI valve covers, etc. while everything else is restored to BONE STOCK SPECS...even down to the bare steel driveshaft with a thin coat of oil and heat marks. I would NOT put those in the same bag as a Chip Foose creation.

So, yes, I wont argue. YOU ARE RIGHT. Painted undercarriage, its been modified. Heck...restore it to OEM specs and by that line of thought it has been modified too!!! I dont think yu will be able to find the crrect laquer paint anywhere nowadays. So, a 100% survivor would be the only thing that would be OEM correct. Im not nkocking down the guys who turn out the most AWESOME OEM restos though....it takes a LOT to achieve the level which we have been seeing in recent years...my hats off to all those guys out there!!

But thats why I think its OK to label the different "rebuilds" (lets not call it restorations to initiate another discussion) and just put em in only 2 separate bags.

My persnal opinion and TASTE (not everybody has to agree) is that I would do an absolute correct OEM resto only on cars which will be full time trailer queens. Museum pieces basically, which yes, can be driven, and will get driven, but only in VERY SPECIAL OCCASSIONS. I would not take all my buddies for a spin around the block every time they drop by my shop. For everything else, I will always prefer the over restored route. Its a car that wont stress you out about using!!! Its not the money, its all the effort and time that goes into an OEM restoration. Those cars are mainly for admiring and displaying, not for driving the snot out of them!!!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639646
03/15/10 01:05 PM
03/15/10 01:05 PM
Nashville, TN
M
MOPARMIKE69 Offline
master
MOPARMIKE69  Offline
master
M

Nashville, TN
"I dont think yu will be able to find the correct laquer paint anywhere nowadays."
None of the car you listed came from the factory with laquer painted exteriors. Specific parts maybe but not the exterior paint.

69 Road Runner vert
69 GTX hard top
70 Road Runner 4 speed
70 Hemi Cuda vert
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: Troy] #639647
03/15/10 01:11 PM
03/15/10 01:11 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

With all that being said I think I have an answer for you. I live very close to some restorations shops and the norm today is for cars that will be sold is a nice restoration......using many repop parts....gray, painted undercarriages, keeping overspray to an minimum. Keeping the cost low so the profits are high. NOS parts cost a lot of money....repop parts are not original but costs a lot less. Once a NOS part is installed, it's no longer a NOS part so what's the point???

The 2%ers will NEVER get all the money out of the cars that they put into it. There even worse off if they paid somebody else to do the work. The market is just not there today.

There is one shop here that has got this down to a science. He makes the paint real nice....powder coats many of the parts for longevity, applies many of the inspection marks....he make the cars look good and sorry to say, that is where the money is AND you can drive the daylights out of it.

Im starting to think we have a winner. However, I would only use repro parts when they are really nice repros. Poor fitting or easily visible "off" repros would be ruled out on my cars. I absolutely hate that!!!! How about when you see a cuda with a repro shaker bubble where they never took the time (because they are lazy or they just ingore it) to trim out the extra resin casting flas on the shaker grille openings. Man o man!!! That makes me cringe everytime!!!! Or what about when they use repro quarter panels and they dont trim out the excess lip off them. Or when they install one of those JUNK Challenger rear valances that are way too wide and they just shove em in without modifying them so they fit like OEM and they bow and look like they are sagging.

You see a lot of cars built like that on ebay. You can clearly see when a car was built to be flipped and just make a buck. Regardless if its an attempt to an OEM resto, or a so called "over-resoration".

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: MOPARMIKE69] #639648
03/15/10 01:16 PM
03/15/10 01:16 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

"I dont think yu will be able to find the correct laquer paint anywhere nowadays."
None of the car you listed came from the factory with laquer painted exteriors. Specific parts maybe but not the exterior paint.

OK whatever the original paint was called, you cant get it nowadays. Thats what I was trying to convey.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639649
03/15/10 01:41 PM
340dart4spd Offline
Parts Problem
340dart4spd  Offline
Parts Problem

They are only Original Once...Anything after that is Over restored in my book..

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: Kidsixpack] #639650
weymouth,mass.
M
meepmeep70 Offline
master
meepmeep70  Offline
master
M

weymouth,mass.
Quote:

I have yet to meet anyone that has gone for an OE gold rsto. and drives their car. The two don't mix! I restored mine the way the factory would have done it if they took two years to do it. Drivability and durability.
KID

i second,i'm happy with the same,just what makes ya happy,i like crusing and hammering it from time to time,not so upsetting when something brakes,then you would have to search for an nos part. good luck

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639651
03/15/10 02:02 PM
03/15/10 02:02 PM
Nashville, TN
M
MOPARMIKE69 Offline
master
MOPARMIKE69  Offline
master
M

Nashville, TN
Quote:

Quote:

OK whatever the original paint was called, you cant get it nowadays. Thats what I was trying to convey.

Paul Jacobs, since you are reading this.... Wasn't it single stage enamel?
Can't you still get it from PPG?
What do you use on your OE restorations?

69 Road Runner vert
69 GTX hard top
70 Road Runner 4 speed
70 Hemi Cuda vert
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639652
03/15/10 02:03 PM
03/15/10 02:03 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Deuces-Wild Offline
Deuces-Wild  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Warning... Following this definition means that you need to use a single stage paint system (acrylic enamel). A clear coat/base coat paint is not original factory specifications....

also, if metallic paint, the suspended flakes in a base/clear will be much more noticeable which can even slightly change the shade.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639653
03/15/10 02:25 PM
03/15/10 02:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I think its a bit too generic to put the so called "over-restored" cars into the same bag as the a "modified" car with 20" wheels,a viper drivetrain and a custom interior with a monster tach atop the dashboard.

I don't recall expressing boundaries or degrees as it relates to being modified. While there are certainly degrees of being modified, just because one level (or extent) exceeds another doesn't take away from the fact that a car is "modified". Calling something "over-restored" is similar to stating that there are "Super Duper Mega-Virgins"! Something is simply "Virgin" or it is not! It is either restored (which means to original specs and appearance) or it is modified. It doesn't change a thing because some misuse or do not understand the definitions that they use on a daily basis. Reality is what it is!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: Deuces-Wild] #639654
03/15/10 02:26 PM
03/15/10 02:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Warning... Following this definition means that you need to use a single stage paint system (acrylic enamel). A clear coat/base coat paint is not original factory specifications....

also, if metallic paint, the suspended flakes in a base/clear will be much more noticeable which can even slightly change the shade.

Correct!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639655
03/15/10 02:34 PM
03/15/10 02:34 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Deuces-Wild Offline
Deuces-Wild  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Im starting to think we have a winner. However, I would only use repro parts when they are really nice repros. Poor fitting or easily visible "off" repros would be ruled out on my cars. I absolutely hate that!!!! How about when you see a cuda with a repro shaker bubble where they never took the time (because they are lazy or they just ingore it) to trim out the extra resin casting flas on the shaker grille openings. Man o man!!! That makes me cringe everytime!!!! Or what about when they use repro quarter panels and they dont trim out the excess lip off them. Or when they install one of those JUNK Challenger rear valances that are way too wide and they just shove em in without modifying them so they fit like OEM and they bow and look like they are sagging.

You see a lot of cars built like that on ebay. You can clearly see when a car was built to be flipped and just make a buck. Regardless if its an attempt to an OEM resto, or a so called "over-resoration".

Domingo,
For what its worth, I recently went through a very exhaustive rotissery restoration process. I started out restoring to factory spec but many hours/$$/FRUSTRATIONS later, I changed my game plan to BASF (I didnt make the car just made it better.. and to my liking). You can say I now have a near original factory with 10% overrestore (painted underside) and 10% equip. modify.

IMO, No car is ever a perfect resto and for the ones that are close, owners sweat hoping that one of the few deep pocket individuals will help them get their $$ back out of it.

Lastly, keep in mind that when many folks got their new factory spec cars home, they quickly modified them with "go-faster" engine/suspension modifications... Have fun with it...

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639656
03/15/10 02:46 PM
03/15/10 02:46 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

Quote:

I don't recall expressing boundaries or degrees as it relates to being modified. While there are certainly degrees of being modified, just because one level (or extent) exceeds another doesn't take away from the fact that a car is "modified". Calling something "over-restored" is similar to stating that there are "Super Duper Mega-Virgins"! Something is simply "Virgin" or it is not! It is either restored (which means to original specs and appearance) or it is modified. It doesn't change a thing because some misuse or do not understand the definitions that they use on a daily basis. Reality is what it is!

Ok well, thats a whole different discussion. We are not discussing if the term "over restored" is really worded right for what it refers to. I used the "over restored" term to try to convey what I was thinking because it is generally accepted to use that term on cars that have been generally upgraded for "extra protection", durability, better driveability in some cases, and beauty (of course beauty is on the eye of the beholder). In my case I think watching a concourse resto is impressive and very interesting to look at, and very fun to perform regarding research and execution experimenting with different ways of replicating the factory finishes. It is FUN to REALLY restore stuff. But to me, a nicely detailed and over restored musclecar with perfect paint and no drips oversprays or messy stuff is by far more beautiful. And Im sure the general public (non car buffs) will agree.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639657
03/15/10 03:20 PM
03/15/10 03:20 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Here is one option.

This is a legit, numbers matching X9 A12 that I "restored" for a local guy here. It's not perfect, from a detail standpoint, but it's pretty close.

Very sharp car.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: HPMike] #639658
03/15/10 03:25 PM
03/15/10 03:25 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
With a 600 HP factory appearing wedge that I built similar to the one I did for Ed Cook's black A12 RR. I didn't want to use the original block, but that was his choice. This one is a litle bit toned down from Ed's so that it can be driven on the street.

Run a low 11 second 1/4 @ 125MPH on the redlines. And scare the living hell out of you on the street.

I hate it when a nicely restored car barely runs. That is really weak. I had a V code Cuda ragtop at the shop that was done by a prominent resto shop that looked awesome and had great detail, but ran like crap and had several little operational issues. When the guy called the shop on it they told him that the cars they do only get driven on and off the trailer, so they didn't put much effort into those things.

MB

5866903-petex9BEE@.jpg (67 downloads)
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: HPMike] #639659
03/15/10 03:26 PM
03/15/10 03:26 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
please show us more and give us some more details on what you did and what did you not! Looks really nice.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639660
03/15/10 03:39 PM
03/15/10 03:39 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
underside. Obviously not OEM.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: HPMike] #639661
03/15/10 03:47 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Car was painted by Walt Natskakula in PA. Single stage urethane that came out very nice, but admittedly "too" nice.

MB

5866933-X9BEERear.jpg (79 downloads)
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: HPMike] #639662

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Absolutely Beautiful work Mike. It looks Fantastic!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639663
03/15/10 03:57 PM
03/15/10 03:57 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
It looks great man. That 600 hp engine isnt stock...but who cares!!!! Id rather have good stuff in it than what it left the factory with (not that the factory stuff was lame, but you get my drift)!!!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639664
03/15/10 04:05 PM
03/15/10 04:05 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Absolutely Beautiful work Mike. It looks Fantastic!

Thanks Dave

When considering value, all I can add is that I did another R4 red A12 car that was a 4 speed some time back for the same guy. This car was modified and had headers and frame connectors, among other things but was a very nicely done car that also ran pretty hard, but not quite as hard as the black car runs. Like the black car, it had some very nice paint and body work.

That car wound up in the hands of Colin Comer, who sold it a few years back for 150K at the BJ circus. The motor and trans were not #'s matching. And he didn't do anything to it from when I had it in my shop. i thought that was pretty steep for a non #'s car that was modified, but it looked, ran, and sounded good.

Who knows what the future holds, but perhaps the correctly restored OEM cars will be the heavies, now that the uneducated buyers with the loose wallets have faded into the background.

MB

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: MOPARMIKE69] #639665
03/15/10 05:20 PM
03/15/10 05:20 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Paul Jacobs, since you are reading this.... Wasn't it single stage enamel?
Can't you still get it from PPG?
What do you use on your OE restorations?

Yes it was single stage enamel, and yes, that is what we use in our OE restorations.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: Paul Jacobs] #639666
03/15/10 06:33 PM
03/15/10 06:33 PM
west kentucky
G
gomangoRTSE Offline
pro stock
gomangoRTSE  Offline
pro stock
G

west kentucky
All these posts defining, refining, and offering underlying definitions of over restored vs. OE concours hasnt answered the mans initial OPs requestion on resale. The man asked about resale.

Paul Jacobs reply on pg 1 noted that "the prettier would appeal to more people." I agree with this. Todays Concours restored car isnt driven, albeit a few will chime in and say "Mine is, mine is." Believe me, few are ever driven more than on and off their enclosed trailers.

I have restored Chevelles and Corvettes and too many times I avoided driving my car 50 to 100 miles to a car show we wanted to go to but feared rain, or the potential for rain so we didnt go. Alot here can relate to this. We have missed out on alot of fun with the line of thinking. Plus todays OE restoration is year of nexts tired looking restoration. Despite being garage kept, nuts, bolts, and any bare metal starts rusting, it mushrooms even more, and then still more, then 3 years from now your OE looked very very tired.

In restoring my Mopar, Im going to paint my entire undercarriage, my paint isnt going to have drips or runs, my fenders and door are going to have nice body lines, not sag or be poorly aligned then tell everyone "hey thats the way the factory did it." Only 1 in 200 people will know and/or appreciate your poor body alignment, your unpainted parts, your poor paint techniques, whereas the majority of people will ask, why did you go so far and do it so poorly. Even today, I had to answer the question a 1000 times "why did you have overspray on your exhaust manifolds?" on my Chevelle, geez man that looks tacky....duh well "they came that way from the factory" was my standard lame reply.

Resale: The primary buyer who will pay $30,000 or more for a car wants a done car with fine lines, nice paint, fully detailed, clean looking car. He wants a nicely done car with FIT AND FINISH! Some call it the "over restored" car. There is a cottage industry for the OE restoration cars, and the expensive parts that are hoarded up by cottage vendors who sell parts that were originally $200 now for $2000. Because a small amount of people will spend far more money on a car than its worth for that coveted recognition and $9.00plastic crystal looking trophy or cheap ppewter pie plate. Finally I have an issue with the description of modified. I have participate in the judging and being judged end of car shows. Many shows allow up to 3 modifications before you were put into the modified class. For example headers, mag wheels etc.

In the end, I prefer an over restored car because its indeed more appealing to more people including myself. Its more durable, easier on the eyes, and much less maintenance.......much less. In the end "Fit and Finish" sells cars, always has always will.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: gomangoRTSE] #639667
03/15/10 06:46 PM
03/15/10 06:46 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
You guys are funny. You might be surprised to see what I prefer. This is my build-for me. I would never actually OWN an OE car. Let the games begin...

Last edited by Paul Jacobs; 03/15/10 06:47 PM.
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: gomangoRTSE] #639668
03/15/10 06:50 PM
03/15/10 06:50 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
An 'over restored' car will have a larger target audience and chances are will sell faster and maybe even for similar amounts. Thus creating a better chance to recoupe the investement verses and OE level done car

case in point - my former car. It is not, was not, nor was it ever intended to be an OE level car in any way shape or form from the very beginning.
This has to be a record for a single 4 barrel 340 challenger hardtop
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/applicati...;pop=0&it=1

to the OP, do what makes you and/or your intended client market happy and run with it

ps
PJ, I call shotgun

Last edited by gtx6970; 03/15/10 06:52 PM.
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: gomangoRTSE] #639669
03/15/10 07:04 PM
03/15/10 07:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

All these posts defining, refining, and offering underlying definitions of over restored vs. OE concours hasnt answered the mans initial OPs requestion on resale. The man asked about resale.....
In the end, I prefer an over restored car because.....

His question WAS answered quite a few times within this thread! Ignoring the responses because they do not correlate with your particular view does not qualify the oversight. There is no defining line within this subject matter. I commented in an earlier post: "Do what you want and hopefully it will appeal to a buyer that has similar taste. As soon as you make a move either way, someone will always take the other side and come back with the typical, "Yeah but what about..... ".

There are pros and cons for each side. The subject matter is completely pursuant to a person's likes or dislikes. I doubt anyone will find a book or manual that provides that proverbial "line in the sand" as to what is better or which style brings more $$$.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: Paul Jacobs] #639670
03/15/10 07:34 PM
03/15/10 07:34 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

I would never actually OWN an OE car. Let the games begin...

Me neither.

MB

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: gomangoRTSE] #639671
03/15/10 07:35 PM
03/15/10 07:35 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

The man asked about resale.

I gave my opinion at least twice in this thread

I know, I am irrelevant

MB

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: gtx6970] #639672
03/15/10 07:38 PM
03/15/10 07:38 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

An 'over restored' car will have a larger target audience and chances are will sell faster and maybe even for similar amounts. Thus creating a better chance to recoupe the investement verses and OE level done car

case in point - my former car. It is not, was not, nor was it ever intended to be an OE level car in any way shape or form from the very beginning.
This has to be a record for a single 4 barrel 340 challenger hardtop
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/applicati...;pop=0&it=1

to the OP, do what makes you and/or your intended client market happy and run with it

ps
PJ, I call shotgun

Bill

That car looks awesome! I would have passed on it because of the master cylinder. J/K, of course.

MB

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: HPMike] #639673
03/15/10 08:01 PM
03/15/10 08:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I know, I am irrelevant MB

You are being much to modest Mike! I know that some consider these posts to be but the concepts and opinions are what provides substance to the original question. There will always be small subdivides that constitute a general theme. I find it comical that some STILL continue to ignore reality and fight the obvious truth. For instance consider the comment, " I have an issue with the description of modified...... Many shows allow up to 3 modifications before you were put into the modified class."

If you repeat that over and over, it's contradictory content becomes clearer and clearer. For the purpose of illustration lets rephrase that concept in a different manner. Suppose a teacher tells her students that they can miss up to 3 days of school and STILL be awarded a "Perfect" attendance award! Or can you imagine asking an old girlfriend/boyfriend if they are still a Virgin and they reply, "Why of course!!! I have only had Sex three times in my life!"
It is a riot the acceptable contradictions that have made their way into this Hobby. We continue to lower the bar to make others feel comfortable or justified for their incorrect deviations. Does anyone else ever wonder why so many areas of our Hobby seem to digress?!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: HPMike] #639674
03/15/10 10:04 PM
03/15/10 10:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Here is something else for the original poster to consider. This is a condition guideline for a collector car value guide note what they have to say about originality and modified cars. The tide is changing. Often times resto mods are selling for more money than original example cars

Last edited by 696pack; 03/15/10 10:05 PM.
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: Paul Jacobs] #639675
03/15/10 10:23 PM
03/15/10 10:23 PM
Tenn.
jrwoodjoe Offline
master
jrwoodjoe  Offline
master

Tenn.
Quote:

You guys are funny. You might be surprised to see what I prefer. This is my build-for me. I would never actually OWN an OE car. Let the games begin...

Bill, you can have shotgun if I can ride in the back. Heck, I'll take the trunk. Very cool.

Joe

65 Barracuda
70 Challenger
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: jrwoodjoe] #639676
03/16/10 01:50 AM
03/16/10 01:50 AM
San Antonio, TX
CurYellowBird Offline
mopar
CurYellowBird  Offline
mopar

San Antonio, TX
I'm am in the same boat with my 71' Roadrunner. Problem is NO TWO cars were ever alike out of the factory. You have to think in the mind of a factory worker of that era. They did not give a sh** and wanted to just get the job done with a minimal amount of effort.

Therefore, there is no specific undercoating or spray pattern to follow, nor chalk lines. I've looked over my car that is a survivor and it has no chalk marks at all. The whole underbody is undercoated, not bare metal.

With that being said, make it to what you want it to be. Our cars are NOT OE anymore, that time has past. Sure I've spent plenty of time going over part numbers on my car to verify what it is, but I am not going to stress my life away over a part number or a chalk mark. Sorry but these cars are a waste of money if you go for that gold OE resto crap instead of driving like it was built for.

Project War Bird: 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 4 speed with air conditioning GY3 Curious yellow All original
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: CurYellowBird] #639677
03/16/10 02:29 AM
03/16/10 02:29 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

You have to think in the mind of a factory worker of that era. They did not give a sh** and wanted to just get the job done with a minimal amount of effort......Our cars are NOT OE anymore, that time has past. ....Sorry but these cars are a waste of money if you go for that gold OE resto crap instead of driving like it was built for.

Hi Pat,
It is really neat that you have an older car for being a relatively young man. I am sure that you are just as sincere as the next guy but where did you come up with your information? Do you really think that NONE of the employees had a positive work ethic or that EVERY person working for Chrysler was determined to do the worst job they possibly could? You obviously have your opinion regarding these cars being "driven" but what about the guy who isn't worried about the monetary aspect? What about those who document and research them so the history and heritage of these cars are not forgotten? We don't live in the 1700's but I would guarantee that those who attended school HAD to take History courses which referenced that particular century. For what purpose? We no longer live in the 1700's! Why does it have to be one way or the highway in this Hobby?

Isn't the diversity the primary aspect that makes this Hobby interesting? I would think that this World would be a horribly boring place if everyone thought and acted exactly like I did. Going on Vacation (to a new Country for instance) is exciting because it gives one the opportunity to experience things beyond our normal everyday lives. You might believe that driving these old dinosaurs is the next best thing since sliced bread! I would MUCH rather climb behind the wheel of a new Viper, Z06 Corvette, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.... but would never tell you that you are wrong for the way you feel! I appreciate the old cars because they WERE the preclude to the Super-cars that we drive today. Differing views should not make us enemies within the same automotive fraternity. While I don't necessarily like every vehicle on an equal basis, I have a respect and admiration for the entire automotive industry. Some people "hate" certain makes and models of cars. The fact is, that without the introduction of some of those "hated" cars, YOUR favorite model might never have come to fruition! Don't be too dismissive of the views and opinions of others. You will become a grouchy old man way before your time!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639678
03/16/10 03:00 AM
03/16/10 03:00 AM
San Antonio, TX
CurYellowBird Offline
mopar
CurYellowBird  Offline
mopar

San Antonio, TX
My thoughts on the factory line worker is that of any person who is earning a basic minimum wage working in an industrial type environment. That being said, it was very hard to find people that were positive about their work.

If they were so positive about their work, then why would their be dripping spots of primer underneath the body of our cars, build sheets put wherever they wanted, or paint jobs that fall short of current standards of today? My point being is that they did not care. Just wanted to get the job done and earn their wage to support their families just like any person today wants to do.

My issue with the hobby are the types where they have a heart attack over a starter relay not having the right part number on it. Or I'll drive my 80' malibu and older guys are like " Why did you stick with iron heads, for an extra 200$ you could have had aluminums". The problem that makes me stay away from car shows so much is that the "older crowd" critiques and bashes on the younger guys so much that the hobby no longer becomes fun. It makes us think that no matter what we do, we will never gain respect from the past generation. Can't blame some of the other kids my age for driving ricers, cause all it does is piss the last generation off.

Project War Bird: 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 4 speed with air conditioning GY3 Curious yellow All original
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: CurYellowBird] #639679
03/16/10 03:25 AM
03/16/10 03:25 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

If they were so positive about their work, then why would their be dripping spots of primer underneath the body of our cars, build sheets put wherever they wanted, or paint jobs that fall short of current standards of today? My point being is that they did not care. Just wanted to get the job done and earn their wage to support their families just like any person today wants to do.....Can't blame some of the other kids my age for driving ricers, cause all it does is piss the last generation off.

Hold your horses there Pat! No one has blamed you or anyone else posting here. First of all the underside primer drips were due to the vehicles coming out of a Dip Tank, not sloppy employees. This process is STILL being done the exact same way today! Many of the broadcast sheets were left in an inconspicuous, out of the way place....not out in the open! You have to disassemble certain parts of a car just to find them. As far as the paint jobs "that fall short of current standards of today" you have to remember that they are no longer painted by factory employees. They are painted by computerized robotics that are consistent to the exact millimeter. Technology and time has allowed for the improvements. Would you criticize the advancement of modern day surgeries because 30 years ago they were archaic in comparison with today's technology? Gall bladder surgery used to lay you up for DAYS now it can be performed as an out patient procedure. The "old" procedures were NECESSARY for these advancements to take place.
Don't listen to anyone who gives you grief about your opinions as they relate to your era or interests. If you look at my original post, I commended you on your interest regarding these old cars! Enjoy this Hobby for what it means to you and have fun.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639680
03/16/10 04:01 AM
03/16/10 04:01 AM
San Antonio, TX
CurYellowBird Offline
mopar
CurYellowBird  Offline
mopar

San Antonio, TX
Let me retract my previous statement. I had totally forgotten that they dipped our cars in primer. Doesn't make sense to me but its what they did. I just got caught in a rant.

There is a show down here next sunday and they had over 20 classes. Well guess what wasn't there...mopar. Their excuse was that the camaro, corvette, and mustang guys wanted all there genI, genII, and whatever gen classes for their cars. Then they proceeded to make the comment that I was just some kid who knew nothing about organizing a car show or cars. So I got the mopar club that I'm affiliated with down here involved and turns out they "somehow" have extra trophies and are going to have a mopar class.

BTW I thank you for your compliment. I was just off the deep end and thought you were being sarcastic. Kind of hard to tell now a days when a guy gives a compliment and is being sarcastic.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: CurYellowBird] #639681
03/16/10 03:24 PM
03/16/10 03:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Doing an OEM restoration can be far more discouraging than rewarding. First of all unless you win 1st place in your class and sell it before the next years winner there is no chance that you will ever get your investment back if that is important to you. It is a labor of love for most people.

The problem is that if you follow and reproduce all the things that are original to your car, such as the undercoating mentioned above, the judge may not think it is right based on others he has seen, even though it is right for your car.

Many don't know that there was a hugh migration of iliterate people from the south back in the 60s seeking the better paying union jobs in the auto plants. This along with people that just didn't care and the lack of factory QC, there are a lot of differences in these old cars when they were new. Sure, there were exceptions with people that did care but all of them had time limitations on an assembly line that did not stop.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639682
03/16/10 04:37 PM
03/16/10 04:37 PM
KY USA
mopargem Offline
master
mopargem  Offline
master

KY USA
Quote:

Many don't know that there was a hugh migration of iliterate people from the south back in the 60s seeking the better paying union jobs in the auto plants. This along with people that just didn't care and the lack of factory QC, there are a lot of differences in these old cars when they were new. Sure, there were exceptions with people that did care but all of them had time limitations on an assembly line that did not stop.

Hmmm

68 Polara 500...LL1 Y7 M6X
69 Hemi road runner...X9 X9 M6X
69 A12 road runner....R4 R4 M6X
69 ModTop FLORAL Super Bee...F6 M6W
70 AAR 'cuda...EW1 EW1 H4X9
71 Duster 340...FJ6 V24 L6X9
71 road runner FC7 V1X M6X9

72 Rallye Charger B5 V1W

74 'cuda 360...KB5 V1X A6X9
08 SRT Challenger #234

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: mopargem] #639683
03/16/10 04:43 PM
03/16/10 04:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm

Sorry if I offended you but it is a fact.

No slight on those people just a fact that the uneducated were looking to better themselves. Many of those assembly line jobs did not require the ability to read or write and were very repetitive simple jobs. Unfortunately, sometimes a supervisor would switch them to a job that did require it without knowing they couldn't and it caused problems until straighted out.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: CurYellowBird] #639684
03/16/10 06:19 PM
03/16/10 06:19 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Deuces-Wild Offline
Deuces-Wild  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

My thoughts on the factory line worker is that of any person who is earning a basic minimum wage working in an industrial type environment. That being said, it was very hard to find people that were positive about their work.

If they were so positive about their work, then why would their be dripping spots of primer underneath the body of our cars, build sheets put wherever they wanted, or paint jobs that fall short of current standards of today? My point being is that they did not care. Just wanted to get the job done and earn their wage to support their families just like any person today wants to do.

My issue with the hobby are the types where they have a heart attack over a starter relay not having the right part number on it. Or I'll drive my 80' malibu and older guys are like " Why did you stick with iron heads, for an extra 200$ you could have had aluminums". The problem that makes me stay away from car shows so much is that the "older crowd" critiques and bashes on the younger guys so much that the hobby no longer becomes fun. It makes us think that no matter what we do, we will never gain respect from the past generation. Can't blame some of the other kids my age for driving ricers, cause all it does is piss the last generation off.

Right you are about the extremists who frown on non OE cars but you have that in any hobby, sport, passion, etc... Whats great about our passion is that the majority of folks LOVE cars (esp. MOPARS) and can appreciate a survivor, a perfect 100 pt. resto, a resto-Mod or even a custom. This keeps the fun in it.. And at the end of the day the true "value" of any car is purely subjective and is meaningless until someone is actually writing a check!

Ps. Its good to see the next gen stepping in to keep the passion for early muscle alive...

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: Deuces-Wild] #639685
03/16/10 07:29 PM
03/16/10 07:29 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Right you are about the extremists who frown on non OE cars but you have that in any hobby, sport, passion, etc... Whats great about our passion is that the majority of folks LOVE cars (esp. MOPARS) and can appreciate a survivor, a perfect 100 pt. resto, a resto-Mod or even a custom. This keeps the fun in it.. And at the end of the day the true "value" of any car is purely subjective and is meaningless until someone is actually writing a check!

Ps. Its good to see the next gen stepping in to keep the passion for early muscle alive...

Well said.

I enjoy going to the weekend all models parking lot shows. i could care less about watching an OEM judging show. I appreciate the time and effort that go into those type cars but would never do one myself.

I can appreciate most any old muscle car be it original or modified.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639686
03/16/10 08:00 PM
03/16/10 08:00 PM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
I think it's the other way around? You have way more extremists who frown on those striving for an OE car. The OE guys I meet are generally all enthusiasts with varied experience. Just because they prefer what they're doing doesn't mean they frown upon anyone elses likes. There are plenty of guys who get on here that are trying to present their cars as restored that just open themselves up to constructive criticism. Some are looking for it and some resent it. Most of the time, it's a misunderstanding by the rest of the participants who don't even have a dog in the fight!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: RoadRunnerJD] #639687
03/16/10 09:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I think it's the other way around? You have way more extremists who frown on those striving for an OE car. The OE guys I meet are generally all enthusiasts with varied experience. Just because they prefer what they're doing doesn't mean they frown upon anyone elses likes. There are plenty of guys who get on here that are trying to present their cars as restored that just open themselves up to constructive criticism. Some are looking for it and some resent it. Most of the time, it's a misunderstanding by the rest of the participants who don't even have a dog in the fight!

The only people I notice snubbing anyone in the hobby are the purists that turn their noses up at the clone cars. It reminds me of the upper crust socialites that snub the regular working man. It is like everything there are always exceptions.

I do hear the regular guys remarking that they think the OEM guys are nuts with some of the extremes they go to and the money they spend but they still appreciate the good looking end result. It is more of a failure to understand why they aren't into the cars for their original purpose--to drive and beat on.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639688
KY USA
mopargem Offline
master
mopargem  Offline
master

KY USA
Quote:

Sorry if I offended you but it is a fact.

No slight on those people just a fact that the uneducated were looking to better themselves. Many of those assembly line jobs did not require the ability to read or write and were very repetitive simple jobs. Unfortunately, sometimes a supervisor would switch them to a job that did require it without knowing they couldn't and it caused problems until straighted out.

it ok darel me no fended i just borned hear an a prawd southner

Seriously, I was kidding with my first reply, you made it sound like the Grapes of Wrath migration, you're probably right but I bet it started after the war when car sales started to boom late 40's

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: mopargem] #639689
03/16/10 09:47 PM
03/16/10 09:47 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
I have to wonder if ones background has anything to do with our opinions on this subject? I grew up pretty poor and scraped for every penny I had to fix up my cars. I was mostly just into street racing until I got bored doing that and then got into the show car thing. I built a killer show car for myself, and after 4 years of not driving it much, I sold it. I would not build another stock OE car for myself, but I can see why some people do. It's no different for them than it is for someone to buy an old house and restore it to it's original beauty. It's very much about the journey than the destination-they love the hunt and the challenge. As far as economics, I don't think ANYONE OF US are in our right minds. Some of you guys don't realize that while the OE crowd may have a lot of money in their cars, you probably have years of work into your cars. So if you took the hours you have in your car, and figured an hourly rate, you too would have a tin of money in your car. Some people say "well my time is free" I say is it really? Maybe it is, but to some people time is more of a valuable asset than money as that is the time they are withh their family. To me, money building my car is no object-not because I have much of it but I'm spanning it over 4 years! I just guess I love cars so much I appreciate anyones creativity-even drag cars.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: mopargem] #639690
03/16/10 09:48 PM
03/16/10 09:48 PM
missouri, USA
moparmojo Offline
master
moparmojo  Offline
master

missouri, USA
Well I for one dont but the resto vs modified argument. For one, both terms can be used and applied by the particular individual and mean different things to different people. I dont think what where talking about here is a seriously modified car with a blower sticking out the hood or obviously wrong coil etc. Were talking about cars that are restored and those restored to "as close" condition as it would have come off the line. However, just about all cars now can technically be called modified if one wanted to narrow it down enough. Whether the car has "flat unfolded" carpet or not it's still not original unless it was NOS. I mean who wants everything original anyway. I suppose everything has it's place but for me I would rather have a new correctly restored Ebody dash pad made with better materials than the old original junk which faded and cracked. Techology is much better now. We have better materials, better techniques, etc.
So whether it is restored or modified is really how narrow you apply the definitions.
As for the poster, value is always going to be up to the particular person looking to buy an item. Value generally is what the average person would be willing to pay for something. With that in mind is there really value is paint drips, unfolded carpets, overspray, and paint dabs? Not sure. One could argue that to correctly repeat those processes correctly is time consuming and therefore time= equals money. But then on the other hand, better paint jobs,no overspray, improved materials, and better products might appeal to someone else. It is all in the eye of the beholder. I prefer to straddle the line a bit. I would like my convertible to better than it came from the factory, with paint dabs, the correct appearing stickers/labels, maybe even "better fitting flat carpet", but not so far as to reproduce the overspray and drips. That's just not my thing. So in the end, no one can really tell you what is more valuable. Some of these high dollar guys will try to convince you that YOURs is not as valuable as theirs because you don't have the appropriate drip marks but I think that is more of someone trying to feel good about themselves. But with all fairness I can say this. A concourse OE restoration will not devalue your car, but that cannot always be said for every restoration.

It is kind of like finishing a basement. The appraisers have to value it based on averages on what everyone does. Some basements are great and some remodeled basements are awful. Thus everyones average perceived apprasial values suffer.

In the end, do what you like that is where the real value lies.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: moparmojo] #639691
03/16/10 11:26 PM
03/16/10 11:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

seriously modified car with a blower sticking out the hood or obviously wrong coil etc. Were talking about cars that are restored and those restored to "as close" condition as it would have come off the line......Whether the car has "flat unfolded" carpet or not it's still not original unless it was NOS.

Wow! This really can't be that difficult to understand....can it?! Exactly what does "seriously modified" actually mean? Is it similar to being a little bit or lot-ta bit pregnant? The definition of "Restore" is definitive, not relative to the subject matter! It is what it is!!! People choose to compromise and dilute it's meaning to facilitate their particular agenda.

And concerning your remark about, "flat unfolded" carpet or not it's still not original".... Did we just change trains of thought again? Restoring something has nothing to do with it's "originality".

To answer your question, "I mean who wants everything original anyway." That is very easy to answer! Anyone who still wants it original.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639692
03/17/10 12:19 AM
03/17/10 12:19 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

seriously modified car with a blower sticking out the hood or obviously wrong coil etc. Were talking about cars that are restored and those restored to "as close" condition as it would have come off the line......Whether the car has "flat unfolded" carpet or not it's still not original unless it was NOS.

Wow! This really can't be that difficult to understand....can it?! Exactly what does "seriously modified" actually mean? Is it similar to being a little bit or lot-ta bit pregnant? The definition of "Restore" is definitive, not relative to the subject matter! It is what it is!!! People choose to compromise and dilute it's meaning to facilitate their particular agenda.

And concerning your remark about, "flat unfolded" carpet or not it's still not original".... Did we just change trains of thought again? Restoring something has nothing to do with it's "originality".

To answer your question, "I mean who wants everything original anyway." That is very easy to answer! Anyone who still wants it original.

I think there are too many things being discussed In this thread and is way off track from the original post. However I don't think anyone has a problem understanding the difference between a modified car and an original car.

Your freaking out over an absolute definition here. I get it, others get it, but I just don't think most of us really care about the exact absolute definition. A totally original car with tires, belts, and hoses is not safe to drive and is very impractical for anything other than viewing. Is this what the vast majority of us want? i don't think so.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639693
03/17/10 01:56 AM
03/17/10 01:56 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Your freaking out over an absolute definition here.....I just don't think most of us really care about the exact absolute definition. A totally original car ....

What definition do you assume I have "freaked" out over Darryl? You guys can't seem to understand the difference between the words "restore" and "original". You STILL confused the two in your response to my last post! First of all, a car can be restored using 100% reproduction parts. That doesn't mean that it is still considered to be original! Why is it so hard to understand the difference between the two? You obviously believe that it is insignificant to use these words according to their literal definitions. If I have one minuscule variation in any of my products (from the original examples) I guarantee you that I will hear about it. They are accurate reproductions but we never say they are original. They are original IN APPEARANCE. I spend every minuet of the day trying to make sure that our products exhibit the very details that you deem as insignificant and trivial! There are MANY people who have been slighted and cheated when they show their cars in "Restored" classes. Is it fair to have cars compete in a "factory restored class" when some cars adhere to strict exacting details and others are allowed certain minimum modifications? Separate them and put them in a different class! We have now come full circle. (Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value.)

This reminds me of a story about a Policeman who pulled a Motorist over for slowly rolling through a STOP sign instead of coming to a complete halt. The Motorist became frustrated and asked the officer, "Whats the big deal?....I slowed down and proceeded cautiously when I saw there were no other cars around!" With that comment the Officer pulled his night stick out and the Motorist became very nervous. The Motorist asked, "What are you planning to do with your night stick?" The Policeman replied, "I want to help you understand the difference between the words STOP and SLOW. As I start to beat you with my night stick, I want you to tell me to either SLOW down or STOP!"

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639694
03/17/10 02:04 AM
03/17/10 02:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As I said, I don't think anyone has a problem understanding the difference between a modified car and an original car. I just really don't care about what your ranting about.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639695
03/17/10 02:08 AM
03/17/10 02:08 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I just really don't care about what your ranting about.

So did we just switch topics of discussion again?

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639696
03/17/10 05:03 PM
03/17/10 05:03 PM
west kentucky
G
gomangoRTSE Offline
pro stock
gomangoRTSE  Offline
pro stock
G

west kentucky

I think there are too many things being discussed In this thread and is way off track from the original post.

Thats what I said earlier when I made my post. Apparantly you feel the same way. By and large the answer still hasnt been addressed. The arguement about modified and what it is or isnt is just not to relevant. Again all this defining, refining, modifying wasnt the subject of the OPs post.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639697
03/17/10 06:21 PM
03/17/10 06:21 PM
Caledon, Ontario
smac77 Offline
mopar
smac77  Offline
mopar

Caledon, Ontario
Quote:

Hi guys!

I have a few rare cars that I will be restoring in the following years.

Cars such as an original all numbers matching 69 HEMI Charger, a 4406 pack shaker Challenger 4 speed plum crazy, a Lemon twist 71 cuda 440-6 4 speed BB go wing car, a couple 71 cuda verts, a TA Challenger, etc.

I nam really torn in between going after

A) an OEM correct resto on all of them (with primered underbodies with overspray, bare metal surfaces, paint drips, etc), OEM steel exhaust systems, steel brake lines, etc.
B) an over restored look with paint as nice as the outside on the undeside as well, inner body panels, 3 stage paint all over. Detailed components,upgrade to stainless steel fuel and brake lines that are exact in appereance and function to the originals but polished stainless to keep them loking great forever, etc.

Problem is I do want to drive this cars some (I will care for them and only drive em occassionaly, but stillwant to enjoy them) and also I want them to keep looking nice, clean and fresh for as long as possible...something that cant be possible if shoting for an OEM resto where unpainted surfaces and primered undercarriages are bound to deteriorate QUICKLY if the cars arent treated like a full time trailer queen.

Problem is I might not keep them all ( I bought too many). I want to restore them all and sell some when the oportunity arises or after I decide which to keep and which not. But that may take a while and I do want to be able to recoup or make it as profitable as it could be when I sell...

So, do you think if I over restore the cars I might HURT their resale vale later on, or if they are done tastefully and extremely nice it should not matter much really even if they are not 100% OEM correct but made a little "better than new"?

Please not I would not use aftermarket parts, or cobble up stuff thats not supposed to be there from the factory. Im just talking about coating the whole body inn 2 stage urethane paint. Painting driveshafts and steering and suspension compoenents that are supposed to be bare metal, making the complete exhaust systems including the tips and mufflers in stainless steel resembling the originals in construction completely, stainless steel brake and fuel lines, etc.

To get back to the original question... I don't think you'll find any difference in re-sale value between a nice OE type restoration and a "better than factory" built car. The only guys who aren't going to like the fully painted undercarriage are the die hard purists, and you wouldn't want to sell a car to them anyways, they are a pain in the a$$........ just kidding guys

Restoration, Sales and Canadian Distributor For:
AMD Sheetmetal
Wizzard Direct Fit, Bolt In Aluminum Radiators
Legendary Interiors
SSBC & Wilwood Brakes
Control Freak Suspensions
Fine lines Tubing
and many more...
www.macleanclassics.com
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: smac77] #639698
03/17/10 07:16 PM
03/17/10 07:16 PM
Manhattan, IL
SixPackRT Offline
mopar
SixPackRT  Offline
mopar

Manhattan, IL
I think everyone in this forum has there own favorites as far as oem, over restored, modified, or whatever you want to call them. But as much as I commend the people that go the oem route, I think they are under appreciated the minute they leave the judging field. I think there works of art, but most purchasers don't look at the level of detail or appreciate the work that is involved during the restoring process, unless they done it themselves. Thats why in my opinion the cars with nice paint that yeah might be modified from the original and over restored but catch everyones eyes are the cars that bring the most when it comes time to sell.

But my thoughts are if you enter into any restoration type trying to figure out what someone else is going to like your doomed from the start

Scott

70 Coronet RT 440+6
64 Dodge 330 - Future Hemi Clone
17 Challenger Hellcat - Green Go Driver
86 Buick T-Type Turbo V-6
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639699
03/17/10 07:23 PM
03/17/10 07:23 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Quote:

I just really don't care about what your ranting about.

So did we just switch topics of discussion again?

I'm sure you will until you feel that you have the last word, or whatever measure it is this week you are going by to feel superior to others.

Maybe you will quit the board again.

I want my fair share
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: SomeCarGuy] #639700
03/17/10 08:34 PM
03/17/10 08:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

feel superior

Hey....its my good old buddy from way back when! Maybe your lack of self esteem (or identity) is what causes you to feel I that am somehow "superior." I am just a RegularCarGuy! Nothing special with or about me! You might try to at least mask your personal insecurities rather than expose them with opinions on how others must feel! Good to hear from you!!!! I hope you have been doing fantastic!!! What a WONDERFUL Surprise!!!!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: SixPackRT] #639701
03/17/10 08:35 PM
03/17/10 08:35 PM
Harleysville PA
M_code_Coop Offline
master
M_code_Coop  Offline
master

Harleysville PA
Great thread with good insight from all sides.

I have the deepest respect for Dave Walden and others who go the extra several miles to bring a car to the closest version of perfection. Say what you want, their efforts help us all in more ways than one.

Along those lines I'd have to say what everyone already understands... serious multi car collectors, who make the 'high end' market, will almost always prefer OE standards. I'm guessing the occasional O.R. car that makes it into a collection is bought as a daily driver or some sort of sacrificial toy.

I'd add that below that upper end market 'factory appearing' 'FAST' cars have had an impact on the everyday enthusiast considering a resto. To ratchet on the initial question... what level of performance, if any, increases resale value? Do buyers prefer bone stock specs, high compression whiplash, or somewhere in the middle?

If you lean towards higher performance in your resto effort you're generally leaning away from OE.

Link to Slideshow...turn the music up. http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/F39VvCq5/1/1491997 ...So when does government's A12 welfare start?..
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639702
03/17/10 08:41 PM
03/17/10 08:41 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
I want the last word, so here it is:ZYZZYVA
the last word in the dictionary is zyzzyva. It is a South American weevil that infects plants.
Of course some will say it's ZZZ-to sleep...or where this thread should go

What were talking about again??

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639703
03/17/10 08:56 PM
03/17/10 08:56 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Quote:

feel superior

Hey....its my good old buddy from way back when! Maybe your lack of self esteem (or identity) is what causes you to feel I that am somehow "superior." I am just a RegularCarGuy! Nothing special with or about me! You might try to at least mask your personal insecurities rather than expose them with opinions on how others must feel! Good to hear from you!!!! I hope you have been doing fantastic!!! What a WONDERFUL Surprise!!!!

Good to see you back looking for something to hold over others. Board wasn't the same w/o you

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: Paul Jacobs] #639704
03/17/10 10:26 PM
03/17/10 10:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

What were talking about again??

"OVER"
Restored! You see Paul when you place, hold or position the word "OVER" above something or "others", you can then consider it as being "OVER" Restored. When you move or store something from one location to another, that ALSO can be classified as being "Re-Stored"!
Brother Paul.....will you please be so kind as to lead us in a verse of Kumbayah?!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: M_code_Coop] #639705
03/17/10 10:32 PM
03/17/10 10:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Great thread with good insight from all sides.

I have the deepest respect for Dave Walden and others who go the extra several miles to bring a car to the closest version of perfection. Say what you want, their efforts help us all in more ways than one.

Along those lines I'd have to say what everyone already understands... serious multi car collectors, who make the 'high end' market, will almost always prefer OE standards. I'm guessing the occasional O.R. car that makes it into a collection is bought as a daily driver or some sort of sacrificial toy.

I'd add that below that upper end market 'factory appearing' 'FAST' cars have had an impact on the everyday enthusiast considering a resto. To ratchet on the initial question... what level of performance, if any, increases resale value? Do buyers prefer bone stock specs, high compression whiplash, or somewhere in the middle?

If you lean towards higher performance in your resto effort you're generally leaning away from OE.

I would think that any gearhead looking to buy a car that had a ride in 11-10 second F.A.S.T. car would be sold instantaniously. A show car that runs like a Super Stocker would be hard to turn down, at least for me.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639706
03/17/10 10:46 PM
03/17/10 10:46 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All silliness aside, the red car like Paul Jacobs posted are the finest engineering, works of art on wheels. You can always find a buyer for either side of the equation but the better value is probably with a vehicle that has been built to perfection. Nine out of 10 people probably look at the cars "my" group of guys work on and think we are crazy. They exhibit all the signs of shoddy work and most think it is ridiculous to put it back that way. I think it is MUCH more difficult to put it back with those horrific traits but CERTAINLY not as appealing to the eye.
I just started another vehicle (a 1969 Ram Air IV Pontiac Trans Am) and it will be restored to factory appearance and specs but will definitely be "Over-Restored" when completed.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: moparmojo] #639707
03/17/10 11:27 PM
03/17/10 11:27 PM
missouri, USA
moparmojo Offline
master
moparmojo  Offline
master

missouri, USA
First off let me start by saying, you single handedly brought us to this definition discussion. Secondly, I am well aware of what the definitions are but wanted to point out that their usage varies.

So using your definitions:

(Definition of Restore: return to its original or usable and functioning condition.)
So what did you restore. Restore the finish of the car, restore the shine to the paint, restore working power and function to non functioning parts, restore the appearance, etc etc.

(Definition of Modification: alteration - the act of making something different.)
So what does modified refer to? Modified using parts that did not come on the car?? For instance, in discussing the flat unfolded carpet you replied "They are accurate reproductions but we never say they are original. They are original IN APPEARANCE."- So technically since this was not an original part of the car you did not restor it, but rather replaced it. Is it now modified according to your very strict definition?
Or can we imply that the understanding of the words "to restore a car" is generally meant to bring back in appearance what was originally there. I think the honest intent is in general appearance. Otherwise buying a replacement carpet instead of restoring the original (to the car) carpet would be considered modified.

This was my point earily. The definitions are understood but how they are applied is still up to opinion. So when you blasted someone for saying something was "over-restored" and got on your soap box to educate us all you opened the conversation up for debate, thus taking all of us off course. And for the record I believe 99% of us here understand what someone means when they say over-restored. In most cases they are saying to bring back to an original look in appearance with some deviations for personal preference to improve the car. Maybe a better quality paint job, maybe a nicer carpet that doesnt fade with UV rays, or a dash pad that doesn't crack after a year in the sun. It is personal taste on what the perceived improvement is. However, the OP was not saying I want to over restore the car with glass packs, shag carpet, and fuzzy dice. Im sure that was not his intent. I think he just wanted to say, will I get the most resale by sticking 100% to what the factory did in appearance (paint dabs, decals, drips, overspray etc) or can I do things like spray color on the underside, use stainless steel brake lines and go base coat clear coat and what kind of money can I expect?

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: moparmojo] #639708
03/18/10 12:13 AM
03/18/10 12:13 AM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

First off let me start by saying, you single handedly brought us to this definition discussion. Secondly, I am well aware of what the definitions are but wanted to point out that their usage varies.

(Definition of Restore: return to its original or usable and functioning condition.)
So what did you restore. Restore the finish of the car, restore the shine to the paint, restore working power and function to non functioning parts, restore the appearance, etc etc.

(Definition of Modification: alteration - the act of making something different.)
So what does modified refer to? Modified using parts that did not come on the car?? For instance, in discussing the flat unfolded carpet you replied "They are accurate reproductions but we never say they are original. They are original IN APPEARANCE."- So technically since this was not an original part of the car you did not restor it, but rather replaced it. Is it now modified according to your very strict definition?
Or can we imply that the understanding of the words "to restore a car" is generally meant to bring back in appearance what was originally there. I think the honest intent is in general appearance. Otherwise buying a replacement carpet instead of restoring the original (to the car) carpet would be considered modified.

This was my point earily. The definitions are understood but how they are applied is still up to opinion. So when you blasted someone for saying something was "over-restored" and got on your soap box to educate us all you opened the conversation up for debate, thus taking all of us off course. And for the record I believe 99% of us here understand what someone means when they say over-restored. In most cases they are saying to bring back to an original look in appearance with some deviations for personal preference to improve the car. Maybe a better quality paint job, maybe a nicer carpet that doesnt fade with UV rays, or a dash pad that doesn't crack after a year in the sun. It is personal taste on what the perceived improvement is. However, the OP was not saying I want to over restore the car with glass packs, shag carpet, and fuzzy dice. Im sure that was not his intent. I think he just wanted to say, will I get the most resale by sticking 100% to what the factory did in appearance (paint dabs, decals, drips, overspray etc) or can I do things like spray color on the underside, use stainless steel brake lines and go base coat clear coat and what kind of money can I expect?

Thats the whole point of this post.

After reading all the responses, I suppose it doesnt matter much really.

I guess the potential market for an over restored car is bigger than for an OEM concourse resto.

However, when we are talking about RARE & EXPENSIVE cars...do the people that want those cars are always more inclined towards OEM correctness or not necessarily???

I know that for a clone car or a specially optrioned car but not necessarily mega rare or expensive over restoreing is the way to go.

But what about when you are talking about cars that surpass the 100k mark in value? Im taking about the 71 4406 shaker 4 speed bb go wing cuda, or the 69 HEMI charger, or lets say a cuda vert or something like a HEMI Daytona???? Should it be any different or not??? Will over restoring actually HURT cars like these???

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: moparmojo] #639709
03/18/10 02:01 AM
03/18/10 02:01 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

First of all, they were never "MY" definitions. They were taken straight from Websters Dictionary. Second, you have (once again) twisted the definition of "Restore" to accommodate YOUR particular agenda. Why did you decide to ONLY grasp the "original" part of the definition? Didn't you notice that it ALSO referenced "usable" and "functioning condition" in CONJUNCTION with with the word "original". If anyone used your twisted rationale, the word "Restore" contradicts it's own definition and meaning! Maybe the expanded definition will make it a little easier to understand.

Main Entry: re·store
Pronunciation: \ri-ˈstȯr\
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): re·stored; re·stor·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French restorer, from Latin restaurare to renew, rebuild, alteration of instaurare to renew
Date: 14th century

1 : to return (something, esp a work of art or building) to an original or former condition.
2 : to bring back to or put back into a former or original state.
3 : return to its original or usable and functioning condition.
4 : to put someone or something back in a former position.

Now is that simple enough? Is a different color or slick paint job the "former condition/original state" of an OE car? Is painting or powder coating bare metal components considered the "former condition/original state" of an OE car? Is a different tire size than the factory size considered the "former condition/original state" for an OE car? Do you understand the concept of "former condition/original state" as it is used in the definition "Restore" or do you want to play semantics, parse and twist those particular meanings too? Like I stated earlier, under your logic the word "Restore" is an illogical moot point and should be completely removed from the English language. Your logic would make it impossible to "restore" anything! "Restore" has nothing to do with something maintaining or keeping it's "originality". You might want to consider going back in history to argue and change those definitions. I can assure you they were established in the English language LONG before I was born. I had absolutely nothing to do with their inception!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639710
03/18/10 02:30 AM
03/18/10 02:30 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I apologize if I sent your thread in a different direction Domingo. In some aspects it was only a matter of time before it splintered off into specifics that were related to your original inquiry. No "restored" car can ever be original again or even perfectly emulated to represent what it "originally" was. (I do like to try and get as close as humanly possible though!) You most likely know which direction you will proceed and hopefully it will offer you the best opportunities. Good Luck and take care!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639711
03/18/10 10:39 AM
03/18/10 10:39 AM
minnesota
Kirby Offline
pro stock
Kirby  Offline
pro stock

minnesota
Dom- your never gonna sell any of your cars anyhow- so? And we'd have to pay all the import costs too- to get them back in the states where they belong!

And to Dave- You have to be a little "special" to do what you do. I could never possess the amount of patience that you have to have to do what you have done-

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: Kirby] #639712
03/18/10 11:01 AM
03/18/10 11:01 AM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

Dom- your never gonna sell any of your cars anyhow- so? And we'd have to pay all the import costs too- to get them back in the states where they belong!

And to Dave- You have to be a little "special" to do what you do. I could never possess the amount of patience that you have to have to do what you have done-

Hi Kirby!

I cant really keep em all!!!

And going back to the states its not that hard...since they were US manufactured, there are no import fees to pay because they are going back to origin. Its just freight and related shipping costs.

Yes, OEM takes lots of time in execution (maybe the same as a totally custom off the wall show car), research, and $$$$ in getting the mega rare and expensive NOS & date coded muffler bearings.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639713
03/18/10 02:55 PM
03/18/10 02:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Thats the whole point of this post.

After reading all the responses, I suppose it doesnt matter much really.

I guess the potential market for an over restored car is bigger than for an OEM concourse resto.

However, when we are talking about RARE & EXPENSIVE cars...do the people that want those cars are always more inclined towards OEM correctness or not necessarily???

I know that for a clone car or a specially optrioned car but not necessarily mega rare or expensive over restoreing is the way to go.

But what about when you are talking about cars that surpass the 100k mark in value? Im taking about the 71 4406 shaker 4 speed bb go wing cuda, or the 69 HEMI charger, or lets say a cuda vert or something like a HEMI Daytona???? Should it be any different or not??? Will over restoring actually HURT cars like these???

Dom,
It will always be a personal choice as to what one guy will pay vs. another for the same car.

A few good examples are a couple of B-J cars that sold several years ago.

1. 1969 A12 SB that sold for $216K including the buyers fee that was a resurrected, totaled, burned car with NOM and disc brakes upgrade. It set a record for money paid for an A12 that still stands.

2. A Black 1970 Hemi Cuda that was disclosed on national TV as a rebody PRIOR to bidding that sold for $648K including buyers fee. It too had been a burned car.

So, as you can see at any given time when two buyers are on the same car they will pay for what they WANT regardless if it is "correct" or not. I think that more attention is paid to the quality of the restoration more so than if it is the original engine etc. The current trend of what resto mods are bring today bear this out. It may be a fad that will fade but I doubt it, as many want the convenience and saftey items that are being added to these old cars as long as they LOOK original driving down the street.

Regardless of what everyone else's OPINION is, these are hard sales facts that can't be argued with.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639714
03/18/10 04:09 PM
03/18/10 04:09 PM
Harleysville PA
M_code_Coop Offline
master
M_code_Coop  Offline
master

Harleysville PA
I'm curious to see if anyone has ever restored an OEM winner with a stealth 'over performance' drivetrain. I'm thinking no, but curious.

As I said, FAST has impacted restoration preferences. Yes PSMCR has been around longer but FAST, due to smart promotion, friendly media coverage, and incredible ETs, benefits considerably at internet car forums... where restoration plans are hatched.

FAST show cars have now branded the thought of 'over performance' on the mind. Those who plan on restoring beyond trailer ramp capabilities see 'over performance' as something to marry with 'over restored'.

It seems unless you're starting out definitively targeting high end collectors for unloading.... you'll likely end up over restoring.

Yes? No?

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: M_code_Coop] #639715
03/18/10 05:12 PM
03/18/10 05:12 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I'm curious to see if anyone has ever restored an OEM winner with a stealth 'over performance' drivetrain. I'm thinking no, but curious.

As I said, FAST has impacted restoration preferences. Yes PSMCR has been around longer but FAST, due to smart promotion, friendly media coverage, and incredible ETs, benefits considerably at internet car forums... where restoration plans are hatched.

FAST show cars have now branded the thought of 'over performance' on the mind. Those who plan on restoring beyond trailer ramp capabilities see 'over performance' as something to marry with 'over restored'.

It seems unless you're starting out definitively targeting high end collectors for unloading.... you'll likely end up over restoring.

Yes? No?

As I stated in my post above, it all depends on who is buying on any given day and if there is competition for the car for sale.

As far as over performance drivetrains, I think that for most people they love it as long as it has the factory "look." That is what has made the F.A.S.T. cars so popular. When you think about it, most of us buy these cars out of a love for nostalgia. When we knew of or owned them new we typically wanted them to perform at there modified best but still wanted them to look stock. That was the street racers thing, let everybody you were racing think they were out of the box stock until the competition got the surprise in the 1/4 mile. I don't think that has really changed for the collector/buyer today. This is also why day 2 wheels, tachs, and a few other items are perfectly acceptable to most buyers. After all, they just bolt on anyway.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639716
03/18/10 07:12 PM
03/18/10 07:12 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Quote:

quote]

You might want to consider going back in history to argue and change those definitions. I can assure you they were established in the English language LONG before I was born. I had absolutely nothing to do with their inception!

Actually Dave, there is no "governing body" for the English language. Language is what we as a society make it. That is why you see new words added to dictionaries. For instance, you can look at old laws and see that "idiots" was a term for the mentally challenged. Today we use the new terminology and idiots applies to who people feel the term fits. it is no longer the "legal" term.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: SomeCarGuy] #639717
03/18/10 07:24 PM
03/18/10 07:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

"idiots" was a term for the mentally challenged.

You certainly don't have a problem relating to or translating that particular definition do you? Keep on spinning and twisting!!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639718
03/18/10 08:18 PM
03/18/10 08:18 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

Quote:

Yes? No?

As I stated in my post above, it all depends on who is buying on any given day and if there is competition for the car for sale.

As far as over performance drivetrains, I think that for most people they love it as long as it has the factory "look." That is what has made the F.A.S.T. cars so popular. When you think about it, most of us buy these cars out of a love for nostalgia. When we knew of or owned them new we typically wanted them to perform at there modified best but still wanted them to look stock. That was the street racers thing, let everybody you were racing think they were out of the box stock until the competition got the surprise in the 1/4 mile. I don't think that has really changed for the collector/buyer today. This is also why day 2 wheels, tachs, and a few other items are perfectly acceptable to most buyers. After all, they just bolt on anyway.

I really like that approach. In fact, with the rare cars I plan on putting the original engine blocks aside for safekeeping, and I will build the engines using a brand new block with stroker cranks and some ooomph to them. Im also steering towards over restoring them a little. Thats my personal taste on these cars.

I like to drive them without regrets, show them, and keep them looking nice and FRESH for as long as possible. I also want em to be realiable.

I hope that people find that appealing if it ever comes a time to sell.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639719
03/18/10 08:53 PM
03/18/10 08:53 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Quote:

"idiots" was a term for the mentally challenged.

You certainly don't have a problem relating to or translating that particular definition do you? Keep on spinning and twisting!!

Twisting? Dave, you always are changing the subject in order to get away from yourself being wrong.

Are you really trying to say that definitions are static and that there is some sort of group that regulates them?

Let's see if you can stick with this or skirt the subject again.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639720
03/18/10 09:40 PM
03/18/10 09:40 PM
N.E.Ohio
P
pacifica Offline
mopar
pacifica  Offline
mopar
P

N.E.Ohio

I really like that approach. In fact, with the rare cars I plan on putting the original engine blocks aside for safekeeping, and I will build the engines using a brand new block with stroker cranks and some ooomph to them.

I don't get it You're gonna spend all this time and money on OEM/RESTORE/OVER RESTORE [whatever you do] and you're gonna give the numbers match block/engine to the buyer so they can pay some more to make it right? Why bother???? Don't tell me your afraid to blow up the original block!

Im also steering towards over restoring them a little. Thats my personal taste on these cars.

Sounds like your mind is made up

I like to drive them without regrets, show them, and keep them looking nice and FRESH for as long as possible. I also want em to be realiable.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: pacifica] #639721
03/18/10 10:22 PM
03/18/10 10:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I really like that approach. In fact, with the rare cars I plan on putting the original engine blocks aside for safekeeping, and I will build the engines using a brand new block with stroker cranks and some ooomph to them.

I don't get it You're gonna spend all this time and money on OEM/RESTORE/OVER RESTORE [whatever you do] and you're gonna give the numbers match block/engine to the buyer so they can pay some more to make it right? Why bother???? Don't tell me your afraid to blow up the original block!

Im also steering towards over restoring them a little. Thats my personal taste on these cars.

Sounds like your mind is made up

I would do the same thing with the original engine because I would drive the snot out of it. I think that most buyers that plan to drive the car would also appreciate that. With the value of an original engine it is taking a big change of throwing a rod through the side of the block and ruining it. I have found that a lot of people would like to have the original engine but a different ORIGINAL appearing engine in the car to drive with.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: SomeCarGuy] #639722
03/18/10 10:42 PM
03/18/10 10:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Twisting? Dave, you always are changing the subject in order to get away from yourself being wrong.

You are absolutely right! That must be what I am doing to hide my obvious pitfalls as they relate to the World of Restorations. Rather than just keep going back and forth here SomecArGuy, why not share with us the vehicles that you have in your portfolio!?! This is a Mopar Automobile Restoration forum right? I for one choose to "see" a Sermon rather than "hear" one any day of the week. You DO have a car or something associated with these opinions that you constantly argue about....right? Why not compare and show the results that have factored into your "correct" efforts versus mine? You can display how it should be done and I can show myself being "wrong" as usual! Are you Game SomeCarGuy or will you spin the challenge and come back with your usual irresolute rhetoric? This is your chance to really put me in my place and expose my true ignorance! A simple YES or NO will suffice. I'm ready when you are. Lets Go Big shooter!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639723
03/18/10 10:52 PM
03/18/10 10:52 PM
missouri, USA
moparmojo Offline
master
moparmojo  Offline
master

missouri, USA
Dave, what's funny is out of the blue you dug up these definitions to educate us all on the proper usage of the words. No one asked you to and to me is shows just a bit of arrogance on your part for you to sit and judge everyone for how they decide to apply terms as they find fit. Now Im certain this must be due to the circles you run in but we really dont need your smug soap boxing here. I think you wanted to make your point and blast the previous poster to get YOUR agenda out. As I said no one here turned this post south until you did. Take a little ownership and stop trying to pretend your any smarter than anyone else here.
I appreciate you again reaching into the dictionary and providing me the definition of those terms but I guess you just will not get it. (Notice I said will not instead of don't) This is where I reference the intellectually dishonest people out there that stick by their opinion even when proven wrong. You made a point to say how I misused or twisted the definition to fit my agenda, please do tell. Give me one example of how I miss used the word. Please do. The word can be used exactly how I descibed. You may not appreciate my usage but that does necessarily mean they are wrong. You can quote from the dictionary all day long and you wont sound any smarter. Matter of fact, I feel dumber for actually having read your reply. And then to top it off after trying to give everyone a verbal smackdown, you claimed to just be the common everyday guy...lol. You might need to hop off that horse a bit and stop looking down your nose at us. Now sure, you certainly arent going to like my response, and rightfully so, but in the spirit of Moparts instead of trading verbal jabs back and forth, I would rather drink beer and trade good car stories. You trade in your Zima and I'll trade in my Stag and we will meet in the middle aroud some Bud Light.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639724
03/18/10 11:03 PM
03/18/10 11:03 PM
Columbia, Maryland
G
GTSGTXCUDA2 Offline
GTSGTXCUDA2  Offline
G

Columbia, Maryland
I think the guy in Kentucky just enjoys trying to get a rise out of you Dave, and is really not talking about restoration. When I first saw your Challenger in a magazine article it looked great, but I really did not understand the depth of the restoration until I read the thread here on Moparts. Your effort on that car not only set a high bar, but gave others ideas for their own projects. Good luck on the Trans Am, I'm only hoping that I will find a interesting post on another forum describing your efforts.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: moparmojo] #639725
03/18/10 11:31 PM
03/18/10 11:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Jeff, you are right about everything! Sleep well tonight.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: GTSGTXCUDA2] #639726
03/18/10 11:32 PM
03/18/10 11:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks Don! I have fun here. It gets silly sometimes but I don't let it get a "rise" out of me. I always thought that this part of the forum WAS actually related to Restoration and associated concepts/techniques?! Silly me...

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639727
03/19/10 04:46 AM
03/19/10 04:46 AM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Advice that someone gave me years ago was
Quote:

The best thing you can do is build the cars to a level that makes "You" happy.
If you build it as perfect and correct as you can, if you decide to sell it there will always be a buyer.

It still stands true today.

If you're a perfectionist (like Dave Walden ) that helps and is good thing.

Although I think Dave is going out of his way to keep raising the bar on what classifies as an O.E. restoration is to make it tougher on everyone else when your car is being judged.

If you build them right, there will always be a buyer, it's just a matter of getting the money you want out of it then.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639728
03/19/10 10:16 PM
03/19/10 10:16 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Quote:

You are absolutely right! That must be what I am doing to hide my obvious pitfalls as they relate to the World of Restorations. Rather than just keep going back and forth here SomecArGuy, why not share with us the vehicles that you have in your portfolio!?! This is a Mopar Automobile Restoration forum right? I for one choose to "see" a Sermon rather than "hear" one any day of the week. You DO have a car or something associated with these opinions that you constantly argue about....right? Why not compare and show the results that have factored into your "correct" efforts versus mine? You can display how it should be done and I can show myself being "wrong" as usual! Are you Game SomeCarGuy or will you spin the challenge and come back with your usual irresolute rhetoric? This is your chance to really put me in my place and expose my true ignorance! A simple YES or NO will suffice. I'm ready when you are. Lets Go Big shooter!

A simple yes or no? From Dave Walden this comes?

I drive my cars Dave, you can't compete with me. You are the guy that had to have little baggies on your cars tires so they wouldn't get dirty, right? White '70 Challenger that isn't driven correct?

I modify, restore, rebuild, use, abuse, and generally enjoy my cars. If you think that anything you have done or will do with a car even remotely matters to me, you would be sadly mistaken. You know, just like always.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639729
03/19/10 10:20 PM
03/19/10 10:20 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Thanks Don! I have fun here. It gets silly sometimes but I don't let it get a "rise" out of me. I always thought that this part of the forum WAS actually related to Restoration and associated concepts/techniques?! Silly me...

Says the guy that proceeded to chastise others over definitions and other pointless stuff.

Does that mean that you are fed up again and are going to start your own board...again?

Thanks for the free entertainment Dave. I'm glad you are back. Really I am.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: SomeCarGuy] #639730
03/19/10 10:41 PM
03/19/10 10:41 PM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A simple yes or no? From Dave Walden this comes?

I drive my cars Dave, you can't compete with me. You are the guy that had to have little baggies on your cars tires so they wouldn't get dirty, right? White '70 Challenger that isn't driven correct?

I modify, restore, rebuild, use, abuse, and generally enjoy my cars. If you think that anything you have done or will do with a car even remotely matters to me, you would be sadly mistaken. You know, just like always.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: SomeCarGuy] #639731
03/19/10 11:44 PM
03/19/10 11:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Why not compare and show the results that have factored into your "correct" efforts versus mine?

I didn't think so little InsignificantCarGuy.....I didn't think so!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639732
03/19/10 11:55 PM
03/19/10 11:55 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Cool, I own Dave Walden.

He feels the need to compete with me.

I'm somebody.

Till next time Dave. Think of me next time you are worrying about a carpet or duplicating rust in a door.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: SomeCarGuy] #639733
03/20/10 12:25 AM
03/20/10 12:25 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Think of me next time......

You are absolutely the Best....my Hero! I only wish I was worthy to look upon the shadow that you cast as you drive your Ford Pinto down the street!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639734
03/23/10 05:47 PM
03/23/10 05:47 PM
west kentucky
G
gomangoRTSE Offline
pro stock
gomangoRTSE  Offline
pro stock
G

west kentucky
It had been a week or so since I last read this post. Goodness it did go downhill. It seems it has fallen far off the original question of the OP. Alot of interesting posts and points of view. I have done my share of OE restorations in the past. By and large I found out the money spent didnt value up to the money secured from the sale. In short "by and large" the OE restorations dont return the money on investment. I was in the world of Concours Corvette restorations, then Chevelle restorations, and now back home to my roots in Mopars. That crowd was much like this in the bickering about whats correct, which research is most accurate, which application is "currently" accepted as accurate and correct.

As to the point of the OP which is has higher resale value. Its some of both. The public will pay a premium for a car that is correct appearing in terms of originality, however in simple terms FIT and FINISH has always, still is, and will always be the final judgement of the buyer in terms of what he considers value. Its true whether your buying a muscle car, used car, new car or any car. I dont know anyone who has deducted dollar value for something that has been improved upon while keeping the car OE in terms of "general" yes I said general appearance. In the world of OE restorations correct finish and finsh is synonomous with the term over restoration.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6