Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: Quicktree] #626226
02/28/10 11:13 AM
02/28/10 11:13 AM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
While I think any forward progress is good, I agree with most of the posters about it helping but only at the level you're at now. Something else too... How sure are you that the springs are good? That might explain the "wandering" you feel in your seat. Not traction, just not good suspension control at higher speeds. That is a sing of bad springs too. The deal with the lack of traction bars on mopars comes from having a snubber that's properly set up and traction bars, which can interfere with each other. I also agree that a Glide with 4.10s will hit much softer than a 727 with the deeper first. I think you would go faster with 3 gears providing you can actually hook it with the extra torque that gives.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: Quicktree] #626227
02/28/10 11:18 AM
02/28/10 11:18 AM
Sherman Texas
T
The Shocker Offline OP
mopar
The Shocker  Offline OP
mopar
T

Sherman Texas
Quote:

Quote:

Such negativity. The OP spend $30 which led to a huge improvement to his car. He can now move forward from this point ( with all the great info found here on Moparts) to replace springs and/or shocks as he deems necessary.

how do you know there was a huge improvement? I think they could help him at his level but he didn't give us before and after numbers? no negativity I amm all for it if it helped him no matter if it wouldn't work for everybody

Heres a vid of my car the last time i ran before the slapper bars.Notice how it comes off the line and jerks to the right .No lift on the rear of the body and this was with the springs clamped in three spots on the front segments.It still wrapped the springs bad ,so bad that the shocks had dents in them from rolling into the rearend housing.My 60 foots ranged anywhere from 1.65 most of the time to 1.71.Best 60 at that point was 1.638 once on a well prepped track.Now my 60's are 1.60 or 1.61 everytime and it lifts the front and back of of the car evenly with no spring wrap ,and pops the wheels off the pavement.My point is that noone said before that slapper bars work in sum applications on Mopars.I always heard a blanket statement that "They just dont work on Mopars".All im trying to say is that they do work if setup right ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIIyWUefEYQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykcsXMV3vfg My Dart ,and im just getting started...
Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: The Shocker] #626228
02/28/10 12:11 PM
02/28/10 12:11 PM
D
dulcich Offline
super stock
dulcich  Offline
super stock
D

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Such negativity. The OP spend $30 which led to a huge improvement to his car. He can now move forward from this point ( with all the great info found here on Moparts) to replace springs and/or shocks as he deems necessary.

how do you know there was a huge improvement? I think they could help him at his level but he didn't give us before and after numbers? no negativity I amm all for it if it helped him no matter if it wouldn't work for everybody

Heres a vid of my car the last time i ran before the slapper bars.Notice how it comes off the line and jerks to the right .No lift on the rear of the body and this was with the springs clamped in three spots on the front segments.It still wrapped the springs bad ,so bad that the shocks had dents in them from rolling into the rearend housing.My 60 foots ranged anywhere from 1.65 most of the time to 1.71.Best 60 at that point was 1.638 once on a well prepped track.Now my 60's are 1.60 or 1.61 everytime and it lifts the front and back of of the car evenly with no spring wrap ,and pops the wheels off the pavement.My point is that noone said before that slapper bars work in sum applications on Mopars.I always heard a blanket statement that "They just dont work on Mopars".All im trying to say is that they do work if setup right ...

Nice results! I had a set of HD Lakewoods that had been on my shelf for 20 years after pulling them off a 69 Super Bee project car. I figured what the heck and put them on my Plymouth and they really work great.

You guys that say they just stiffen the front segment are wrong; they act as a lever to apply lift at the front spring eye. Most of the info in those old Mopar manuals shouldn't be taken for gospel. The traction bars can be very effective with some combinations, but of course there are other and sometimes better ways to get the job done.
-dulcich

Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: The Shocker] #626229
02/28/10 12:14 PM
02/28/10 12:14 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

in that video it looked like the car went where it was aimed and then you corrected it. it didn't jerk right it just drove where it was headed. there are way to many varibles that can effect traction. so only a back to back same day same conditions could prove it helps one way or the other. you will hear some people say snubbers don't work also, and yes they are both band aids to weak or bad springs. but they can help prevent spring wrap if adjusted right just like your slappers. but add another 100hp then come back and tell us if they will work.

Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: The Shocker] #626230
02/28/10 12:49 PM
02/28/10 12:49 PM
Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
gregsdart Offline
I Live Here
gregsdart  Offline
I Live Here

Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
Shocker, they are working well if you have no spin off the line. Might require some better shocks down the road to expand the range of hp and torque they can control.
I wouldn't worry too much about those that want to pick apart what you are doing. Just refine your data recording for your own purpose, keep an eye on what out there works, and how. With enough shock control and travel, combined with front suspension tuning, you might not need to upgrade till you need a full cage!
I

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky
Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: gregsdart] #626231
02/28/10 01:04 PM
02/28/10 01:04 PM
McGregor,Iowa 52157
500ciDuster Offline
top fuel
500ciDuster  Offline
top fuel

McGregor,Iowa 52157
Years a go I used them on my duster mainly to prevent the windup which worked great for that but I took it a step further and shimed the right side so it would hit first kinda like the same theory used with SS springs.

Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: Sport440] #626232
02/28/10 02:18 PM
02/28/10 02:18 PM
Southwestern Ontario Canada
racealittle Offline
pro stock
racealittle  Offline
pro stock

Southwestern Ontario Canada
Slapper bars are just like any suspension mod. They either work for you or they don't, for what ever reason. Find the reason, make the adjustment , or modification, and it can work.

The only drawback from using a slapper that I saw, happened to my buddy. He ran an AMC rear end from a AMX in his 343 powered Spirit.

First time out at the track he broke the spring perches off. Had that repaired.

The next time out, he spun the center of the axle housing, causing the tubes to break the factory welds. The driveshaft took a beating and he also broke the rear tailshaft housing of the 4 gear trans.

Well, he had all that repaired and switched to an automatic AMC 727.

He has no issues now. The car hooks hard and fans the rear segment of the springs like a peacock. It was something to see. I wish I had a camera with me that day.

The only concern about slappers has always been breakage somewhere in the suspension, etc.

He is planning on upgrading to Cal Tracs eventually.

Too many cars, too many parts, too little coin, too little space to work in, too little time left to make it all happen! Update: down to one ride, still too many parts, a little more jingle in the pocket, gaining space, and it's going to happen this year!
Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: Quicktree] #626233
02/28/10 03:34 PM
02/28/10 03:34 PM
Sherman Texas
T
The Shocker Offline OP
mopar
The Shocker  Offline OP
mopar
T

Sherman Texas
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

in that video it looked like the car went where it was aimed and then you corrected it. it didn't jerk right it just drove where it was headed. there are way to many varibles that can effect traction. so only a back to back same day same conditions could prove it helps one way or the other. you will hear some people say snubbers don't work also, and yes they are both band aids to weak or bad springs. but they can help prevent spring wrap if adjusted right just like your slappers. but add another 100hp then come back and tell us if they will work.

Your right the car picked up and i learned my lesson about how slapper bars wont work on a Mopar .Im not saying that slapper bars are the only option or the best ,but they are very cost affective .Please keep in mind that we are just a bunch good old boys having fun at nostalgia drags ,not a bunch gold chainers that just sit back and throw money at are cars .If a cheap solution is solving the spring rap problem on my car (which is the only car im concerned with at this point ),then i will take it.If you want to send me a set of Caltracs and mono leafs for free ,i will be glad to give them a try for you ,and let you know what happens .Till then i will use whats working now .BTW i have never heard the statement that "slapper bars will work fine on a Mopar up to a certain hp ",i have always heard the blanket statement "they wont work on a Mopar ".I was just trying to show that they can work is all ,but anything can be picked to death ,and what if'd to death as well ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykcsXMV3vfg My Dart ,and im just getting started...
Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: gregsdart] #626234
02/28/10 03:39 PM
02/28/10 03:39 PM
Sherman Texas
T
The Shocker Offline OP
mopar
The Shocker  Offline OP
mopar
T

Sherman Texas
Quote:

Shocker, they are working well if you have no spin off the line. Might require some better shocks down the road to expand the range of hp and torque they can control.
I wouldn't worry too much about those that want to pick apart what you are doing. Just refine your data recording for your own purpose, keep an eye on what out there works, and how. With enough shock control and travel, combined with front suspension tuning, you might not need to upgrade till you need a full cage!
I

Thanks for the support man ... Im gunna get a set of adjustable shocks for it next .I only race the car a half a dozen times a year proly ,but i always want to go a little faster each time out (who doesnt).She will come around a little at time ,solving one problem at a time...

Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: The Shocker] #626235
02/28/10 04:13 PM
02/28/10 04:13 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

I am not saying they will not work but side by side runs would give better info. the point I was trying to make is that at your power level it doesn't take much to get a handle on traction. imo a good set of shocks would probably help more than the slappers. I ran snubbers for years and adjsuted properly I know they can work at a mild power level. I am a fan of your car and it's good to see you have it performing better know matter what you had to do.

Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: Quicktree] #626236
02/28/10 04:36 PM
02/28/10 04:36 PM
okla.
sam64 Offline
pro stock
sam64  Offline
pro stock

okla.
his biggest limiting factor is the 8" slicks,they are only going to take so much.

Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: Quicktree] #626237
02/28/10 04:39 PM
02/28/10 04:39 PM
new jersey usa
11secdart Offline
master
11secdart  Offline
master

new jersey usa
I can top that! I bought a pair for $20 at Carlisle last year for my 92 D150. I race it occasionally and didn`t want to spend the $ for Cal-Tracs, I couldn`t leave over 1,600 with out wheel hop and tire spin. I put the bars on , clamped every leaf in front of the rear housing and replaced the air shocks with a set of B body Ranchos I had on my Dart when I had S/S springs and now I can leave at 2,000 with out spinning. It only runs low-mid 15s but its not spinning anymore.

68 Dart 410 / 904
92 D150 original owner
21 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Big Horn , Hemi ,4x4
23 Audi Q5
16 Honda HRV
Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: 11secdart] #626238
02/28/10 05:13 PM
02/28/10 05:13 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

I can top that! I bought a pair for $20 at Carlisle last year for my 92 D150. I race it occasionally and didn`t want to spend the $ for Cal-Tracs, I couldn`t leave over 1,600 with out wheel hop and tire spin. I put the bars on , clamped every leaf in front of the rear housing and replaced the air shocks with a set of B body Ranchos I had on my Dart when I had S/S springs and now I can leave at 2,000 with out spinning. It only runs low-mid 15s but its not spinning anymore.

Did you make all those changes at one time, if so
I'll bet the biggest factor was the adjustable shocks
that didnt let them hit the end to cause the lift
on the axle.
Anything that helps the car is worth the price, but
every thing DOESNT work on ALL cars

Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: MR_P_BODY] #626239
02/28/10 09:06 PM
02/28/10 09:06 PM
new jersey usa
11secdart Offline
master
11secdart  Offline
master

new jersey usa
I know that! I`ve been flogging my Dart for 28 years and have made a lot of changes that didn`t help/work. I did the mods in stages, I think the shocks helped as I can adjust them and they have to be better than stiff air shocks. I was pretty happy with the minimal investment in the setup as its not my primary race vehicle. If I ever get a few extra bucks I`d like to try a drag radial or some type of dot legal race tire I can drive to the track with. As I said its not real fast but everytime I race it I go rounds.

Last edited by 11secdart; 02/28/10 09:09 PM.
Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: 11secdart] #626240
02/28/10 11:12 PM
02/28/10 11:12 PM
north cakalaky
I
instigator Offline
super stock
instigator  Offline
super stock
I

north cakalaky
My homemade traction bars worked for me when I added about 600 more horsepower...from roughly 450 hp NA..... Hope they will take about 300 more...we'll see soon enough

65 Barracuda
All aluminum Indy HEMI with some boost!
COMING TO A TRACK NEAR YOU!

Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: instigator] #626241
03/01/10 01:12 PM
03/01/10 01:12 PM
organ
M
maximum entropy Offline
master
maximum entropy  Offline
master
M

organ
i had slappers back in the day- the good ones that replace the spring plate, and they worked fantastical! the only reason i got rid of 'em was they hung down just a little too low, and the policia took exception. they really do work. in your application and mine, anyway.

for what is the good life if not doing things thoughtfully?
Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: maximum entropy] #626242
03/01/10 01:38 PM
03/01/10 01:38 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
Mike Miller Offline
enthusiast
Mike Miller  Offline
enthusiast

Fort Worth, Texas
I ran slapper bars on the Spirit with great success. A friend of mine has a Spirit also (a little quicker and lighter than mine) that had slapper bars on it too. He bought CalTracs and installed them on his and didn't pick up anything at all.... we had the slappers dialed in that good. Mine was preloaded a bit on the right side and the car launched straight and level and would get a couple of inches of air every time and it seemed to launch good no matter how bad the track was.

Both of our cars had a little problem when shifting into second on marginal tracks though. You could feel the rear end lift, but not bite.

My 60's were right at 1.58/1.59 when it was a good day and the car was running 7.25 or so.... that was in real good air at Ennis.

Here is a video of the car launching against another car I built. the wagon is using Cal Tracs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOE6iwt9Dao I fixed this...... DOH!

Last edited by Mike Miller; 03/01/10 06:12 PM.
Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: Mike Miller] #626243
03/01/10 02:04 PM
03/01/10 02:04 PM
organ
M
maximum entropy Offline
master
maximum entropy  Offline
master
M

organ
Quote:

the wagon is suing Cal Tracs.

why, because he lost?

for what is the good life if not doing things thoughtfully?
Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: The Shocker] #626244
03/01/10 05:31 PM
03/01/10 05:31 PM
Burlington,Ont.
77DragracerR/T Offline
top fuel
77DragracerR/T  Offline
top fuel

Burlington,Ont.
It's nice to try and improve the performance of your car with simple fixes just to see if it works or not.I know todays traction aids are way better then what we had years ago and in fact i'm still running a snubber on my and i have no reason to spend the big $ for Cal Tracs when the car works just fine.
Here's a vid of my car with a fresh 408 in the beginning of last year.It was opening day and the traction was almost non existant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS8MPzDurYk

I think my 60' that day was 1.50
I run a 9X30 slick with 4.30 gears
Have fun with what you're doing!

77 Aspen R/T 60'@1.41 10.76 @ 123.26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eya3Ue8KoZk
Re: For all of you that think slapper bars dont work ... [Re: maximum entropy] #626245
03/01/10 06:09 PM
03/01/10 06:09 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
Mike Miller Offline
enthusiast
Mike Miller  Offline
enthusiast

Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:

Quote:

the wagon is suing Cal Tracs.

why, because he lost?