02/23/10 01:15 PM
02/23/10 01:15 PM
Houston Texas
PAINT IT BLACK Offline
Got a CHIP on my shoulder
PAINT IT BLACK  Offline
Got a CHIP on my shoulder

Houston Texas
I've had my FBO ECU go out on me, my reluctor, and a balast. All probably within 6K miles. Don is always good to deal with, but I sure wish the reliability were better. As far as performance goes, it runs GREAT. But it is a good idea - no, essential in my opinion - to have a complete set of spares in the trunk regardless of what you are running.

Re: FBO Ignition [Re: sogtx] #620530
02/23/10 02:20 PM
02/23/10 02:20 PM
Washington State
70Duster440 Offline
super stock
70Duster440  Offline
super stock

Washington State
Quote:

so... do you guys run ported or unported vacuum advance ?

Unported. Everything works as it should for me.

Re: FBO Ignition [Re: moper] #620531
02/23/10 02:37 PM
02/23/10 02:37 PM
the house on the left.
C
cogen80 Offline
master
cogen80  Offline
master
C

the house on the left.
Quote:

Nothing he does is special, and he get s alot of money to do it. For the total investment of about $80 and a couple hours or an afternoon anyone can duplicate the work and "special" parts.

i agree. a new mp dist. has an adjustable advance built in. play around with it here and there and you not only can duplicate what he does but you may just understand the timing a little better.

Re: FBO Ignition [Re: cogen80] #620532
02/23/10 02:44 PM
02/23/10 02:44 PM
IL, Aurora
A
ademon Offline
master
ademon  Offline
master
A

IL, Aurora
plus don't the new MP dist have the adj slots and are made by Mallory? i've been using the MSD blaster coil and msd .8 ohm ballast with a chrome box for years, no problems at all

Re: FBO Ignition [Re: cogen80] #620533
02/23/10 03:26 PM
02/23/10 03:26 PM
O
OLD318 Offline
super stock
OLD318  Offline
super stock
O

Quote:

Nothing he does is special, and he get s alot of money to do it. For the total investment of about $80 and a couple hours or an afternoon anyone can duplicate the work and "special" parts.

Sorry to offend you, but that statement is ignorant and completely FALSE!

The heart of his system is a distributor that
has been recurved to your exact setup.

Further, it is also setup to run off of a manifold vacuum source, not port. Which is what
your stock out of the box MP elect setup tells you to do...

Out of the box, your MP distributor is barely
above junk....

Quote:

i agree. a new mp dist. has an adjustable advance built in. play around with it here and there and you not only can duplicate what he does but you may just understand the timing a little better.

Not to offend you either sir, But your dreaming
if you think you can tweak an out of the box
MP Electronic setup and duplicate his work..

Instead of sitting on here making these ignorant statements. Why don't you two educate yourselves and spend $20.00, buy his e-book and READ IT..

It is an excellent read.

Re: FBO Ignition [Re: OLD318] #620534
02/23/10 04:28 PM
02/23/10 04:28 PM
Indiana
Y
YO7_A66 Offline
master
YO7_A66  Offline
master
Y

Indiana
I have used the FBO ignition system now for four years with absolutely no problems on the street. This FBO system can handle 8.5-11.0 volts at the coil. I do not believe that the MP system can. More voltage to the coil is more juice to the plugs.
How many of us can say that we have worked with a company to develop our own ignition system to sell it under "our own" company name? That takes allot of time and effort, so hats off to Don.
I can't wait for Don to release his new non-ballast coil for our Mopars. Getting rid of the ballast is one more thing to make the ignition system more dependable on the street.
Maybe Don can confirm if his new coil will be stock appearing or not, and how is the FBO coil versus the other name brand coils for non-ballast ignitions.

Last edited by YO7_A66; 02/23/10 08:48 PM.

1970 YO7 A66 [Canadian Export] F8 Challenger
340 (Currently in shop for stroker assy.)
Re: FBO Ignition [Re: YO7_A66] #620535
02/24/10 09:52 AM
02/24/10 09:52 AM
N.E. England
Roppa440 Offline
super street
Roppa440  Offline
super street

N.E. England
My FBO ECU failed within a few miles. It started cutting out after 20 mins and would not allow the car to start again until everything had cooled.

It was not even getting hot. I had it mounted correctly and even had the hood up so it was not subject to high engine bay temps. But if failed every time after the same time interval.

The local FBO supplier sent me a new ECU and a new coil and ballast with no extra charge! Which was very good service.

After that I have done about 1500 miles on the new unit and all seemed fine.

But the other day the engine would not start from hot. No spark again. I tested everything and could not find a problem? Then when it was cold I tested again I had a spark. Then I was able to fire the car up as normal.

So far this has not happened again but the weather has prevented me from getting out in the car.
But just in case it does occur again I have ordered an aftermarket HEI module and if I have any more problems I am going to fit that to the coil and be done with it.

Sorry to offend you Mopar purists.

2002 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7 LS1 2011 Alpha Romeo Giulietta Veloce 1.6 JTD Because running a Mopar in the UK is getting TOO expensive!!
Re: FBO Ignition [Re: Roppa440] #620536
02/24/10 12:23 PM
02/24/10 12:23 PM
Wpg, Mb, Canada
S
six-barrel Offline
six-barrel  Offline
S

Wpg, Mb, Canada
Is there something special about the coil and ECU?

I understand the tweaking of the distributor and such, but whats special about the coil and ECU?

Re: FBO Ignition [Re: OLD318] #620537
02/24/10 01:36 PM
02/24/10 01:36 PM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
No offense taken. I see a difference of opinon between us, no more, no less, and I'd like to see if you can make a valid arguement for them...

"that statement is ignorant and completely FALSE!"

How so?

"The heart of his system is a distributor that
has been recurved to your exact setup. Further, it is also setup to run off of a manifold vacuum source, not port. Which is what
your stock out of the box MP elect setup tells you to do..."

The heart is a factory Mopar distributor that has a special curve to it. In otherwords, nothing fancy and the same thing in my hands when the car is right in my shop. So lets say I chose to curve it having the car present. Would you say there's a chance the thing will run as good or better than someone hundreds or thousands of miles away working off a spec sheet?

above junk....
It's no better or worse than any Mopar distributor. I'm not defending MP quality. I'm simply saying there's nothing FBO knows that the world doesn't.

"Not to offend you either sir, But your dreaming
MP Electronic setup and duplicate his work.."

I'm not dreaming if that poster was. Give me a some technical reason why I can't duplicate his work.

"Instead of sitting on here making these ignorant statements. Why don't you two educate yourselves and spend $20.00, buy his e-book and READ IT..
It is an excellent read."

I started clearly understanding ignition theory before Reagan was elected... The first time. Well enough that I was ASE certified back when these cars were still coming with these distributors and carburetors. So I'd prefer not spending the $20 to re-hash. Why don't you explain why manifold vacuum helps in a street car vs ported, and what makes the physics of FBO so unique that it can't be duplicated. You gave your $.02. I'm looking for the paper money...

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: FBO Ignition [Re: moper] #620538
02/24/10 02:23 PM
02/24/10 02:23 PM
Hunt Valley, Maryland
1fastrunner Offline
top fuel
1fastrunner  Offline
top fuel

Hunt Valley, Maryland
So, is the FBO set up for port? or Manifold?
Jim

Re: FBO Ignition [Re: 1fastrunner] #620539
02/24/10 02:34 PM
02/24/10 02:34 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline
I Live Here

the boonies
HAHAHAHA, i agree with Moper. recurving a distributor is not rocket science. recurving it to your exact combo is funny. he uses the same techniques that everyone else uses. to be able to tune to your exact combo, he'd need to have your motor and a dyno and knock sensors and such and a bunch of info.

all he does is get a warm feeling about what your motor should have and then throws in some springs, adjusts the amount of mech advance and adjusts the vacuum pod but without knowing when YOUR car will ping- which is based on a LOT of factors such as cam, compression, cylinder heads, mixture, timing, engine temp, vacuum level from idle thru part throttle cruise per rpm, combustion chamber design and piston design, and more- adjusting a distrib curve without knowing those factors is just a good guess.

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
Re: FBO Ignition [Re: 1fastrunner] #620540
02/24/10 02:37 PM
02/24/10 02:37 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline
I Live Here

the boonies
Quote:

So, is the FBO set up for port? or Manifold?
Jim

what happens when to your idle vacuum from neutral to in gear? it drops and varies as you idle. so if you have it connected that way with a big cam, your timing will jump all over the place as the vacuum changes. then the idle will change as the timing changes.

go with ported vacuum. there are reasons why this is better

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
Re: FBO Ignition [Re: aarcuda] #620541
02/24/10 03:06 PM
02/24/10 03:06 PM
ILL
G
Greentween Offline
enthusiast
Greentween  Offline
enthusiast
G

ILL
You need to adjust the vac can so it will stay pulled in with the lower vacumme your engine has while it is in gear. If the cam is too big, probably wont pull enough, but a nice street cam should still be able to work.

I've experimented with both. My engine likes 20-22 degrees initial for a very nice smooth idle, but will kick the starter at over 16 degrees. I use manifold vacumme and the timing stay's steady at idle in gear. It worked once I adjusted the vac can.

I'm using the FBO stuff, but I have changed the springs and added a vacumme can since I got it from Don. His setup worked, and didnt ping, but with the stiffest springs in there, I could have guessed that that would work. Not really on the edge max performace setup that way.

Re: FBO Ignition [Re: Greentween] #620542
02/24/10 04:06 PM
02/24/10 04:06 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline
I Live Here

the boonies
my timing is locked out at 32. starts fine. runs like a beast and doesnt ping

Re: FBO Ignition [Re: aarcuda] #620543
02/24/10 04:09 PM
02/24/10 04:09 PM
Indiana
Y
YO7_A66 Offline
master
YO7_A66  Offline
master
Y

Indiana
I changed my springs too because my spec card showed 3180rpms. I now have it at 2400rpms.

1970 YO7 A66 [Canadian Export] F8 Challenger
340 (Currently in shop for stroker assy.)
Re: FBO Ignition [Re: OLD318] #620544
02/24/10 04:49 PM
02/24/10 04:49 PM
NE Oklahoma
V
Von Offline
master
Von  Offline
master
V

NE Oklahoma
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry to offend you, but that statement is ignorant and completely FALSE!

The heart of his system is a distributor that
has been recurved to your exact setup.

Further, it is also setup to run off of a manifold vacuum source, not port. Which is what
your stock out of the box MP elect setup tells you to do...

above junk....

Quote:

Not to offend you either sir, But your dreaming
MP Electronic setup and duplicate his work..

Instead of sitting on here making these ignorant statements. Why don't you two educate yourselves and spend $20.00, buy his e-book and READ IT..

It is an excellent read.

The above post is an example of why numerous of the good tech guys have left this forum......and wont come back.

Moper knows his stuff, end of story. And yes I agree with him, nothing special to setting a curve..............

72 RR, Pump gas 440, 452s, 3800 lbs, Corked, ET Radials,. 11.33@117.72. Same car, bone stock 346s, 9.5 comp, baby solid. 12.24@110.
Re: FBO Ignition [Re: Von] #620545
02/25/10 02:05 AM
02/25/10 02:05 AM
Beaverton, OR, USA
Alikazam Offline
super gas
Alikazam  Offline
super gas

Beaverton, OR, USA
I can say from having dealt with Don in person, as to the quality of his stuff, he does his best to do right by his customers and is good at what he does.

That being said, I love my MSD Billet Distributor that I curved, my MSD 6A ignition and my other MSD electronics. *shrugs* Is it that important it appear stock? Not to me... to each their own.

Re: FBO Ignition [Re: aarcuda] #620546
02/25/10 03:11 AM
02/25/10 03:11 AM
Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
dave571 Offline
master
dave571  Offline
master

Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
Quote:

all he does is get a warm feeling about what your motor should have and then throws in some springs, adjusts the amount of mech advance and adjusts the vacuum pod but without knowing when YOUR car will ping- which is based on a LOT of factors such as cam, compression, cylinder heads, mixture, timing, engine temp, vacuum level from idle thru part throttle cruise per rpm, combustion chamber design and piston design, and more- adjusting a distrib curve without knowing those factors is just a good guess.

Yup those are all factors.

Factors in what is a guess to some, experience and knowledge to others I suppose.

I know when Don and I "guess" at a curve we get info like, compression, head type, cam specs, weight, gear, tire diameter, stall speed, carb type, intake manifold, etc.. and a whole apge of stuff from the customer.

From there, we "guess", and usually get it right the first time.

There's no question it's not magic, but let's be honest here... what exactly is magic on hotrods that are 30 to 50 years old? Not much.

In the same breath, most modern techs have never worked on a carb OR a distributor, so when you talk about a timing curve to them, they have no idea what you even mean, let alone what would be a good one.

For many, trial and error works well for something like this too(and that is great), for others, they'd rather not mess around with it. That can be said about anything done to a car, or done to anything else, for that matter too

Re: FBO Ignition [Re: dave571] #620547
02/25/10 09:19 AM
02/25/10 09:19 AM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
Quote:

There's no question it's not magic, but let's be honest here... what exactly is magic on hotrods that are 30 to 50 years old? Not much.

In the same breath, most modern techs have never worked on a carb OR a distributor, so when you talk about a timing curve to them, they have no idea what you even mean, let alone what would be a good one.

For many, trial and error works well for something like this too(and that is great), for others, they'd rather not mess around with it. That can be said about anything done to a car, or done to anything else, for that matter too

Dave, Thanks for putting the real reason many guys choose FBO out there. It's not the voodoo or anything unique. It's easy and convenient, and for that, they pay what I consider a hefty premium. But if they pay, like the result, and come back, god bless... Happy and satisfied can encompass ignorance...lol The opposite end of the spectrum are those who posted they bought it, installed it, and then as their experience got better, they changed away from what the spec sheet result was. Because they had the car there and understood how it all worked. Dave (Y07) is one of those. Never have I known someone so diligent and tenacious. What I typically see in this industry are not techs per se, but hobbyists. Who for the most part at least initially believe the hype they are fed. In regard to modern techs I have to disagree. The modern techs I know are concerned with cylinder to cylinder timing curves and injector pulse widths. It takes a key stroke to change the values, but you really have to KNOW what that keystroke is doing in the engine. Most put guys that deal with carbs and distributors to shame when it comes to the "whys" rather than the "hows".

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: FBO Ignition [Re: moper] #620548
02/25/10 11:24 AM
02/25/10 11:24 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
also, don't forget, that the ECU isn't some parts store ECU, it's one he designed and manufactured, and doesn't pull timing out at high RPM like most chrysler ECU's...

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3