02/02/10 11:48 PM
02/02/10 11:48 PM
acworth / N. georgia - south e...
cheapstreetdustr Offline OP
master
cheapstreetdustr  Offline OP
master

i got in a good discussion last night with a friend about deep stage-ing vrs shallow staging..
it was interesting ...although i couldn't get him to understand or agree with my philosiphy

basically..i feel/hypothisize
if you shallow stage..
1st... it gives you a "constant" or consistant point of reference to your cars location..
and can be repeated easily..with alot of accuracy or way to remove variables..
for instance ..your roll out equates to time.
lets say your roll out is 6"..
if you pull in lightly and just trip the beam going in..perfectly ..
you now have 6" ahead of you to roll before you trip the clock
but if you just pull in without discipline.
you could be 5"-4"-3" ect..from tripping the beam when you launch.
this will effect your reaction time from/according to each of these examples..
changing consistancy from @ launch/reaction time to another launch/reaction time. assuming you staged differently each of these times

next..

since the clock doesnt start until you break the beam...if you have adiquate roll-out...
technically you could start moving sooner..
have a technical advantage over the other lane.
of course youll have to time it properly as reaction time to tripping the light still applies to the other lane...
but for instance...my arguement was.
if i shallow stage with good rollout..agaist an opponent who deep stages...
i get a head start..with momentum in my favor.
his arguement was et ...is still et...?

anyone have an opinion..?
cheapst

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: stage-ing advantages..whats your opinion? [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #602221
02/02/10 11:56 PM
02/02/10 11:56 PM
master
master

My other aguement ..
was against deep staging a car that has a slow reaction time...or slow lauch..(like those clunker street cars that show up on the money nights...4 instance.

my point is..if the car leaves slow..
then shallow stage..or set the 2nd yellow stage the way i mention'd earlier..
by just bearly bumping in..to put the car exactly in the same spot. each time
then JUST FIND A EARLIER REFERENCE POINT to leave off of..
you will have the running start i refered to earlier...
and actually make up for a slow reacting car.
?
for instance..if you could enlarge the roll out of a slow reacting car.say from 6" to like 9"
.then leave earlier (off a good reference point...ie..2nd to last bulb)
technically you could make up for the slow reacting of you car...
and get the head start i am refering to...?

cheapst

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: stage-ing advantages..whats your opinion? [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #602222
02/03/10 12:09 AM
02/03/10 12:09 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
I'll take the biggest rolling start I can get everytime
as long as you can figure out when to hit it

Re: stage-ing advantages..whats your opinion? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #602223
02/03/10 12:22 AM
02/03/10 12:22 AM
upstate, New York
jvcuda Offline
enthusiast
jvcuda  Offline
enthusiast

upstate, New York
I always stage shallow, because I like seeing the quicker et's.

Re: stage-ing advantages..whats your opinion? [Re: jvcuda] #602224
02/03/10 12:44 AM
02/03/10 12:44 AM
PA
moparacer Offline
master
moparacer  Offline
master

PA
There are 2 points in the staging beams that you know exactly were you are at every time. When the stage light comes on, and when the stage light goes out, and you are deep.

I see guys stage then give it a few extra bumps for better RT and I have no idea how they do that consistently every pass.

I know I cant.

67 Barracuda street/bracket car 11.27-119
68 Dart 502 BB 8.70s-152
414 cid SB Dragster 7.65-174
Re: stage-ing advantages. on the tree...whats your opinion? [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #602225
02/03/10 08:12 AM
02/03/10 08:12 AM
Backwater, PA
B
bwdst6 Offline
Bob George Racing #1 Fan
bwdst6  Offline
Bob George Racing #1 Fan
B

Backwater, PA
Quote:

anyone have an opinion..?
cheapst

1. Maybe he couldn't get you to understand or agree with his philosophy!
2. If you just trip off the pre-stage light you can then be deep staged and also do so consistently!
3. I would think the most important thing you can do to win a race would be for the car/drive to react quickest after the green light and run closest to their indicated dial at the finish line. Could work?

This post is available in double vision where drunk.
Re: stage-ing advantages. on the tree...whats your opinion? [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #602226
02/03/10 08:30 AM
02/03/10 08:30 AM
N.W. Indiana
DblOJoe Offline
mopar
DblOJoe  Offline
mopar

N.W. Indiana
If you have a running start as you put it, it's going to effect et. The best way for me is to shallow stage and do the same thing every time. I'd find a way to make the slower car have the ability to go red before trying to deep stage but that's just me.

Re: stage-ing advantages. on the tree...whats your opinion? [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #602227
02/03/10 03:12 PM
02/03/10 03:12 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Don't know if this will answer any of your questions, but last year I bought a practice tree. Mine is a little pocket unit that I can take with me ( Pocket Pal portatree ). It has definitely improved my consistancy. Their factory setting for roll out was .320. I called them and asked them what I should set it for - for a heavy car that typically has 1.60 60 foot times. They suggested .370, so thats what I practice at. I stage the same way all the time ( shallow ) - don't know if thats good or bad for a slow foot brake car, but I can at least make that consistant. I try to keep the rest of my routine the same. I often don't know the car I am racing against - couldn't pick him out in a crowd most of the time. I don't care who stages first. If I go in first, I do wait for him to light his top bulb before I move in. I seldom even look over to see where he is at. I dial in what I think my car is going to run based on my last run and the outside temperature. I don't sandbag or play any braking games - I'm not that good. I do ok - for an older guy

Fastest 300
Re: stage-ing advantages. on the tree...whats your opinion? [Re: Crizila] #602228
02/03/10 03:21 PM
02/03/10 03:21 PM
organ
M
maximum entropy Offline
master
maximum entropy  Offline
master
M

organ
ime shallow is the way to go. practically speaking, in et racing it doesn't matter how you stage, as long as you stage consistently, and your car reacts consistently. btw, if you stage deep, some racers will get their panties bunched up. "yeah, he stages deep." whatever. do what you want, so long as it's consistent!

for what is the good life if not doing things thoughtfully?
Re: stage-ing advantages. on the tree...whats your opinion? [Re: maximum entropy] #602229
02/03/10 03:49 PM
02/03/10 03:49 PM
Rock Springs
Bob_Coomer Offline
master
Bob_Coomer  Offline
master

Rock Springs
Routine rouine routine..In bracket racing people who goes more rounds than not, and win often have a routine....You can bet they stage the same way every single time...Or try too. I love it when I stage so shallow that the stage light flickers on and off a few times, I know I done my job...I set the brake load the car and go racing...

But as far as consistency goes people have there reasons to deep stage, this might be nothing more than trying to make the other guy red light. Or he might be after Reaction time who knows...But deep staging the same way one shallow stages should produce the same consistency either way.

[color:"red"]65 Hemi Belvedere coming soon [/color]
[color:"#00FF00"]557" Indy engine 1.07 60ft 144mph in the 8th 2100 lbs package [/color]
Re: stage-ing advantages. on the tree...whats your opinion? [Re: Bob_Coomer] #602230
02/03/10 07:50 PM
02/03/10 07:50 PM
Columbus, Ohio
wheelsup68dart Offline
master
wheelsup68dart  Offline
master

Columbus, Ohio
I too use the shallow stage routine when I run, but of course with a box it is pretty much pointless where I am in the beams as long is it is consistent, but when I run my buddies cuda I do have to bump, bump, bump the car in to trim the reaction time down, this is leaving where I feel comfortable on the tree i.e. last amber. In a perfect world I would have 3 sets of diff diameter tires to accomplish this for my driving style or track conditions, or a front end that has the ability to have some stagger set into it. The one thing I have not heard mentioned is that a deep stager has an advantage over really good finish line racers. I say this because the last thing I do before I stage is look over and pick a spot on my opponents car just before staging to use at the finish stripe for narrow MOV. If the car in the other lane is deep staged when doing this then you must remember to account for that extra 6 inches that they are in front of your stage point.

Oh BTW ask Brian Henderson how he does it, probably the best deep stage racer I have ever seen.

Re: stage-ing advantages. on the tree...whats your opinion? [Re: wheelsup68dart] #602231
02/03/10 07:57 PM
02/03/10 07:57 PM
BROOK PARK, OH
WILD BILL Offline
Senior Member of the Junior Dragster Club
WILD BILL  Offline
Senior Member of the Junior Dragster Club

BROOK PARK, OH
I prefer to just bump the stage beam so I know I'm in the same spot everytime.

Re: stage-ing advantages. on the tree...whats your opinion? [Re: WILD BILL] #602232
02/03/10 08:10 PM
02/03/10 08:10 PM
central ohio
N
nss guy Offline
pro stock
nss guy  Offline
pro stock
N

central ohio
I race on an index, if I know I'm too quick by .01-.03, rolling in deep will kill some ET. Just have to adjust for the difference in reaction time. But I'm usually late so this will help...

Re: stage-ing advantages. on the tree...whats your opinion? [Re: WILD BILL] #602233
02/03/10 08:15 PM
02/03/10 08:15 PM
aotearoa
rebel Offline
master
rebel  Offline
master

aotearoa
depends on what car is in the next lane. if it's a V8 i'll deep stage first & put out the top white. get good reaction times doing this. if it's a Turbo import i stage last. i wait till they're fully staged & hit the brake limiter while i'm still in pre stage. because they can't hear their own car due to my cars thunder they spool up quickly but i'm not in stage yet so they soon back off. normally i count to 8 & then drop into stage, generally deep since my A&A ultimate brake lets me stop where ever i want, hit the limiter & pow i'm gone. turbo import in the next lane doesn't have time to spool up properly & so they get a bad start. we have a 10 sec autostart on our pro tree so if we're both in pre stage, as soon as the first car goes into stage the auto start counter starts the count down. this is why i feel its important to be in pre stage first coz as soon as the second car comes into pre stage i roll in deep & i've got more time to position myself than my opponent. rushed staging for some racers i race generally makes them go red or bad reaction time.

Re: stage-ing advantages. on the tree...whats your opinion? [Re: rebel] #602234
02/04/10 12:13 AM
02/04/10 12:13 AM
master
master

consistancy is obviously a key part to being successful.
i only mention'd it to clearify....
3rd
but i am mostly thinking the mathmatics or mechanics..of one way being an advantage over the other..
a long roll out..built in vrs. normal stagger.
since the back of your front tire trips the start of the clock..
and the front of your front tire trips the stop of the clock/ end of pass.
i am/was focusing on the an advantage..
let me ask this...for the sake of arguement.
if you light the 2 stage bulbs ..
does the clock start when the first stage light goes out..or when the last 2nd light goes out..
i understood it was the first bulb goes out and the second bulb goes out and that trips the clock to start?

cheapst.

[image][/image]
Re: stage-ing advantages. on the tree...whats your opinion? [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #602235
02/04/10 12:29 AM
02/04/10 12:29 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

consistancy is obviously a key part to being successful.
i only mention'd it to clearify....

but i am mostly thinking the mathmatics or mechanics..of one way being an advantage over the other..
deep vrs shallow..
since the back of your front tire trips the start of the clock..
and the front of your front tire trips the stop of the clock/ end of pass.
i am/was focusing on the an advantage..
let me ask this...for the sake of arguement.
if you light the 2 stage bulbs ..
does the clock start when the first stage light goes out..or when the last 2nd light goes out..
i understood it was the first bulb goes out and the second bulb goes out and that trips the clock to start?

cheapst.

Second light goes out.... remember you have guys that
deep stage

Re: stage-ing advantages. on the tree...whats your opinion? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #602236
02/04/10 12:39 AM
02/04/10 12:39 AM
master
master

oh iam with you the second bulb starts it....

with this in mind..then the deep stage shouldnt
create a need to find a that reference point on the car next to you when you go to the stripe

in fact if you actually need to find a point farther forward..at the stripe...
forward of what your seeing..at the starting line.
...no ?

i worked late and am running out of steam...but ill be back..later..
i am interested in this subject..ive run my theories...over the yrs..and its been fairly good for me..
but i am bored..not being able to race.
and would like to keep a dialogue going on on this topic..
i might learn a new perspective...
i have other points to make..
but i cant keep my eyes open right now..

till later..
cheapst.

[image][/image]
Re: stage-ing advantages. on the tree...whats your opinion? [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #602237
02/04/10 12:46 AM
02/04/10 12:46 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

oh iam with you the second bulb starts it....

with this in mind..then the deep stage shouldnt
create a need to find a that reference point on the car next to you when you go to the stripe

in fact if you actually need to find a point farther forward..at the stripe...
forward of what your seeing..at the starting line.
...no ?

i worked late and am running out of steam...but ill be back..later..
i am interested in this subject..ive run my theories...over the yrs..and its been fairly good for me..
but i am bored..not being able to race.
and would like to keep a dialogue going on on this topic..
i might learn a new perspective...
i have other points to make..
but i cant keep my eyes open right now..

till later..
cheapst.

If you see that same angle on his car at the finish
line, your loosing, I forget the distance between
the stage and pre-stage lights... I think its 8"
could be 6" but you need to change that angle by the
distance of the stage pre stage lights

Re: stage-ing advantages. on the tree...whats your opinion? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #602238
02/04/10 12:59 AM
02/04/10 12:59 AM
Oakland, MI
D
dizuster Offline
master
dizuster  Offline
master
D

Oakland, MI
You're exactly right thinking that just barely putting the car in to light the stage bulb is most repeatible for the car.

But what I've found is that my brain/body has a comfortable spot on the light. Meaning that I am most repeatable when I "see" the bulb fully on.

Unfortunately for me, that means thatshallow staging the car just means repeatable, but poor reaction times. I've found that when I try to adust myself to the shallow stage, my reaction times are all over the map. (Because I'm trying to anticipate "seeing" that bottom bulb on. I have a better time rolling the car in a little further, and hitting the bottom bulb in my comfort zone.

If you do it all the time, you can get a pretty good feel for how far the car rolls in. The other thing that is nice is by having a good feel for rolling the car in, is that you can adjust your lights from track to track. Some tracks are just fast/slow, so it's nice to be able to adjust accordingly.

As for shallow staging and getting a run at beam, this will make the car ET better, but hurt the reaction time. When my light is good/bad, I can always tell if it was really me or not by the 60' time. If I'm .03 slow on the light, but the 60' picks up .03, it's because I had the car in too shallow. If I have a .50x light, and the 60' is slow, it's because I had the car in too deep.

Anyway, just my

Re: stage-ing advantages. on the tree...whats your opinion? [Re: wheelsup68dart] #602239
02/04/10 01:11 AM
02/04/10 01:11 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Quote:

I too use the shallow stage routine when I run, but of course with a box it is pretty much pointless where I am in the beams as long is it is consistent, but when I run my buddies cuda I do have to bump, bump, bump the car in to trim the reaction time down, this is leaving where I feel comfortable on the tree i.e. last amber. In a perfect world I would have 3 sets of diff diameter tires to accomplish this for my driving style or track conditions, or a front end that has the ability to have some stagger set into it. The one thing I have not heard mentioned is that a deep stager has an advantage over really good finish line racers. I say this because the last thing I do before I stage is look over and pick a spot on my opponents car just before staging to use at the finish stripe for narrow MOV. If the car in the other lane is deep staged when doing this then you must remember to account for that extra 6 inches that they are in front of your stage point.

Oh BTW ask Brian Henderson how he does it, probably the best deep stage racer I have ever seen.

I agree Brian is tough. I've had some tight races with him. Staging is a function of where you can get the car and driver to cut a good reaction time. Most good drivers are pretty consistent on the the tree. Its the cars that are different. I agree I've driven cars that cut a good light dead shallow. I've also driven street cars that you had to turn the top bulb out. The most difficult is a car that leaves in between. This is a category where a lot of cars fall into. It is tough to be consistent bumping in,but not impossible. I'd rather vary .020 to.040 bumping in than be consistent .080. It's all practice.
Doug.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3