01/30/10 12:13 AM
01/30/10 12:13 AM
MARYLAND
69Cuda340S Offline
master
69Cuda340S  Offline
master

MARYLAND
Glad to hear you found some good metal to put on that car. A '68 Charger is a good car to save and you will be learning a lot along the way.

Re: My '68 Charger restoration [Re: 67Charger] #587456
02/05/10 03:59 AM
02/05/10 03:59 AM
Erda, UT
67Charger Offline OP
master
67Charger  Offline OP
master

Erda, UT
Got the dash out... No surprises underneath, just tons of dust and dirt. I also removed some of the bad 1/4 panel, and saw just what I suspected. Dirt and crap has built up in the bottom of the panel joints and rusted them out. The dirt in the last pic is a typical example of what I have been finding.

11.33 @ 118.46 on motor
10.75 @ 125.35 w/ a little spray
Now, high Speed Open Road Racing - Silver State Classic Challenge, Nevada Open Road Challenge, Big Bend Open Road Race
Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020, 2022 2.0, Sick Week 2023
Re: My '68 Charger restoration [Re: 67Charger] #587457
02/05/10 10:39 AM
02/05/10 10:39 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are you still happy the wife bought you the car.

Re: My '68 Charger restoration [Re: ] #587458
02/05/10 11:35 AM
02/05/10 11:35 AM
Erda, UT
67Charger Offline OP
master
67Charger  Offline OP
master

Erda, UT
...ummm, yeah. Why do you ask? She knows I love working on them, and while a finished one would be instant gratification, it would be missing 2 things: the challenge of making a derelict cast-off a piece to be proud of, and the personal connection that makes it "mine" instead of something I happened to have enough cash to buy.

Don't worry, I don't take any offense at your question, I think I understand where you're coming from. Your sig line says a lot. "Too much to do and not enough time to do it." To me, that time spent "doing it" is part of the fun. This car is plenty saveable, it just takes more time tham most are wanting to commit.

My dad asked me the same thing. He feels that anything car related that is rusted is trash, yet ironically, he loves to collect antique engines and machinery. He is a perfectionist by nature, so there is some sort of a mental block preventing him from being able to actualy start a project unless he knows it will be as good as new when he is done. As a result, he has tons of restorable machines that just sit there. I don't think he likes the process of doing the restoration, just the end result. The trouble is his standard is somewhere around OE Gold level. Few things are actually worth the cost to get to that level. He doesn't understand that I enjoy the process as much as the result.

I don't get frustrated with my '67, and I've been playing with it for 10 years now. It started at about the same point as the '68, but without the rust. No interior, dead engine/trans. Paint was mostly baked off or worn away by the elements. It had dents. LOTS of them. I built the motor and trans first and drove it around and raced it in it's various states of disrepair. The trouble with it now is that every "improvement" at this point is getting expensive. The car is basically done, and at this point all I'm doing is making it faster.

The '68 needs lots of labor (free) and a few $1000 in reproduction panels. There is a ton of clean up to be done and then the refinishing process will begin. Let's not forget I now have an excuse to build another motor. Yes, there will be lots of money needed, no way around that, but since I'm not rushed for the finished product, I can take my time and spread the purchases out. It will be done right, no sloppy jimmy-rigs or unnecessary body filler to cover up shortcuts. I simply don't need the car finished to enjoy it. I have my prize and one day I'll get to drive it. In the mean time I still get to be the proud owner of a '68 Charger.

I ses Jake71's progress, the Barrelcuda, and others like that and am inspired. Others see them and ask "...but why?!?"

11.33 @ 118.46 on motor
Now, high Speed Open Road Racing - Silver State Classic Challenge, Nevada Open Road Challenge, Big Bend Open Road Race
Re: My '68 Charger restoration [Re: 67Charger] #587459
02/05/10 12:56 PM
02/05/10 12:56 PM
Loveland Colorado
J
jake71 Offline
enthusiast
jake71  Offline
enthusiast
J

Loveland Colorado
Right on the head! Just last night I had a discussion with my very understanding wife about the fact that I'm a little torn on how I feel about being finished. On one hand I want to see how I did and on the other hand I don't want the journey to end. She said quite simply " Well, just get get another one, when THIS one is done".
Carry on and enjoy the ride. As you said, some don't see it. I believe it is a hobby within a hobby. The challenge is where it's at. Think of it like going back to 3rd grade once earning your diploma-boooring! This is more like going to college from 3rd grade, quite an accomplishment and requires a lot of studying and self discipline.
Have fun and keep the updates coming!-Jake

Re: My '68 Charger restoration [Re: 67Charger] #587460
02/05/10 04:16 PM
02/05/10 04:16 PM
N.Wilkesboro,NC
D
DusterKrazy Offline
master
DusterKrazy  Offline
master
D

N.Wilkesboro,NC
Quote:

...ummm, yeah. Why do you ask? She knows I love working on them, and while a finished one would be instant gratification, it would be missing 2 things: the challenge of making a derelict cast-off a piece to be proud of, and the personal connection that makes it "mine" instead of something I happened to have enough cash to buy.

Don't worry, I don't take any offense at your question, I think I understand where you're coming from. Your sig line says a lot. "Too much to do and not enough time to do it." To me, that time spent "doing it" is part of the fun. This car is plenty saveable, it just takes more time tham most are wanting to commit.

My dad asked me the same thing. He feels that anything car related that is rusted is trash, yet ironically, he loves to collect antique engines and machinery. He is a perfectionist by nature, so there is some sort of a mental block preventing him from being able to actualy start a project unless he knows it will be as good as new when he is done. As a result, he has tons of restorable machines that just sit there. I don't think he likes the process of doing the restoration, just the end result. The trouble is his standard is somewhere around OE Gold level. Few things are actually worth the cost to get to that level. He doesn't understand that I enjoy the process as much as the result.

I don't get frustrated with my '67, and I've been playing with it for 10 years now. It started at about the same point as the '68, but without the rust. No interior, dead engine/trans. Paint was mostly baked off or worn away by the elements. It had dents. LOTS of them. I built the motor and trans first and drove it around and raced it in it's various states of disrepair. The trouble with it now is that every "improvement" at this point is getting expensive. The car is basically done, and at this point all I'm doing is making it faster.

The '68 needs lots of labor (free) and a few $1000 in reproduction panels. There is a ton of clean up to be done and then the refinishing process will begin. Let's not forget I now have an excuse to build another motor. Yes, there will be lots of money needed, no way around that, but since I'm not rushed for the finished product, I can take my time and spread the purchases out. It will be done right, no sloppy jimmy-rigs or unnecessary body filler to cover up shortcuts. I simply don't need the car finished to enjoy it. I have my prize and one day I'll get to drive it. In the mean time I still get to be the proud owner of a '68 Charger.

I ses Jake71's progress, the Barrelcuda, and others like that and am inspired. Others see them and ask "...but why?!?"

This is probably the most intellegent post I have read. I agree 100%.

I build cars that most would throw away because they are all I can afford. I also enjoy taking a car thats trashed and making it whole again.

Just look at my '70 Charger, somebody would have to really do it for the love of the car. I've been called crazy because it's just a 318 car. In my mind; it's so much more than that.

You are motivated enough to keep the project going. Good luck

There's nothing special about forking over a pile of money for a done car

Re: My '68 Charger restoration [Re: DusterKrazy] #587461
02/05/10 05:23 PM
02/05/10 05:23 PM
Vandergrift,PA
The70RTChallenge Offline
enthusiast
The70RTChallenge  Offline
enthusiast

Vandergrift,PA
It's all about you're willingness and detirmination... Keep it comming,i'll enjoy watching your progress

Re: My '68 Charger restoration [Re: 67Charger] #587462
02/05/10 10:30 PM
02/05/10 10:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Well I am glad that you did not take any offense to my question because it certainly was not meant to offend you or your wife, just a little humor question.
I am in the same boat with my cars and I applaud all who take on the endeavor of restoring a heavily rusted out car or building a custom from a heap. I also
enjoy the pics from all the project posts.

Re: My '68 Charger restoration [Re: ] #587463
02/06/10 12:38 AM
02/06/10 12:38 AM
Erda, UT
67Charger Offline OP
master
67Charger  Offline OP
master

Erda, UT

11.33 @ 118.46 on motor
Re: My '68 Charger restoration [Re: 67Charger] #587464
02/06/10 09:21 PM
02/06/10 09:21 PM
Western Pa
joewhite440 Offline
pro stock
joewhite440  Offline
pro stock

Western Pa
Well said
I love this Hobby!

Back in the 80's I ran a small auto repair shop to support myself and my family. I personally wanted a streetrod and the cost was high even back then. I found a 35 Ford 3 window coupe. Everyone laughed at me and ask me why I would waste my time on it. I could not even open the door on the passenger side because the frame was rusted in half. It had no floor at all left. If I would have opened that door the car would have broken in half. I found a 1936 frame that had a section that I needed in it and it was good. I left the body bolted to the frame just so I could cut out the old section and get the new piece in correctly. Once I did that I welded Angles across the door openings to hold the car together to lift the body off. I Sandblasted the whole car body then welded in Rocker Panels to hold the body together and fabricated my own floor and tunnel. Anyways I got the body completly done and painted all except front fenders. My financial situation forced me to sell it back then(Family First). I still see it at the Beaver and Beaver Falls Car Shows and It is very nice even with the chevy drivetrain. The guy has all my restoration pictures in a book that he keeps with him. My son and wife helped me with a lot of that work and like you said it may have been a laugh to most but I loved making something out of nothing. Wish I still had the car but I only have the memories. I have a picture This was the day I sold it.

5787335-35ford.JPG (266 downloads)
Re: My '68 Charger restoration [Re: topfueldart] #587465
02/12/10 09:36 AM
02/12/10 09:36 AM
Austria
3eighty3 Offline
3eighty3  Offline

Austria
Respect for the scope of work and effort you are getting yourself into. That's a lot of metalwork...and I thought my car was rusty! I agree that building your own project is part of the fun of the hobby and sure beats just buying a finished car. Great going!

__________________________________________ Cuda blog

Re: My '68 Charger restoration [Re: 3eighty3] #587466
02/14/10 11:49 PM
02/14/10 11:49 PM
Portland,Or
C
chargersNW Offline
chargersNW  Offline
C

Portland,Or
I am rethinking the value of my rusty parts car.

Re: My '68 Charger restoration [Re: chargersNW] #587467
02/20/10 11:17 PM
02/20/10 11:17 PM
MARYLAND
69Cuda340S Offline
master
69Cuda340S  Offline
master

MARYLAND
All the metal currently available for that car it is definately savable. Will be nice when the day comes when that car is sitting in the garage, all metal work done, with a nice shiny paint job. It can be done, just takes a very tough, determined, strong willed, hard working person with a vision to carry it all the way through.

Re: My '68 Charger restoration [Re: 69Cuda340S] #587468
02/21/10 12:21 AM
02/21/10 12:21 AM
Erda, UT
67Charger Offline OP
master
67Charger  Offline OP
master

Erda, UT
Got the firewall completely stripped, no nasty surprises there. I was also pleasantly surprised thet the rear package tray is actually fine, it is just the lower window gutter that is shot. One less panel to R&R. I called AMD and asked them if they were planning on doing A-pillars, and they said yes, but about a year out. I should have this thing completely stripped and ready for blasting in a few weeks. I also took the time to clean out another bay in the garage for epoxy coating so I can get some of the stuff moved out of the bay the Charger is in and get some work space back.

11.33 @ 118.46 on motor
Re: My '68 Charger restoration [Re: 67Charger] #587469
02/22/10 02:06 AM
02/22/10 02:06 AM
Central Utah
Mopargnome Offline
super stock
Mopargnome  Offline
super stock

Central Utah
If your going to get a roof off a parts, car take it apart and put it in your car piece by piece. If you just cut the pillars and weld on the new one you will lose alot of strength because there are several layers of metal in the pillars and you wont be able to penetrate all those with a weld. I'm just finishing up a roofskin replacement on a challenger that had a vinyl top. Those things are killer on sheetmetal. Good luck with your project. Stay focused and before you know it you will have a sweet Charger!

Re: My '68 Charger restoration [Re: Mopargnome] #587470
02/22/10 03:05 AM
02/22/10 03:05 AM
Erda, UT
67Charger Offline OP
master
67Charger  Offline OP
master

Erda, UT
The roof I got will just be used for individual parts. If the original metal is intact, it stays. I don't want a big shear line of weld where I butted the two sections together. The inner panels of the frame are almost untouched except directly over the 1/4 window. The lower panel of the upper windshield frame is fine, but I'm replacing 1/2 of the upper panel. The sides will get new drip rails, and get the outer panels replaced with parts from the donor roof. At no point will the continuity of the perimiter be broken.

11.33 @ 118.46 on motor
Re: My '68 Charger restoration [Re: 67Charger] #587471
03/22/10 02:33 AM
03/22/10 02:33 AM
Erda, UT
67Charger Offline OP
master
67Charger  Offline OP
master

Erda, UT
I have just about everything from the latch post forward stripped. I just need to remove the brake lines, tail lights and trim, rear axle and the 1/4 window assemblies, and it will be ready to blast. I'll be home all this week with the wife and new little one that is scheduled to be born Monday, so I should be able to squeeze in enough time to give it one last blitz to prepare it for blasting.

11.33 @ 118.46 on motor
Re: My '68 Charger restoration [Re: 67Charger] #587472
03/22/10 09:27 AM
03/22/10 09:27 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are you going to blast it yourself or send it out and have you thought about having it dipped?

Re: My '68 Charger restoration [Re: ] #587473
03/27/10 04:23 AM
03/27/10 04:23 AM
Erda, UT
67Charger Offline OP
master
67Charger  Offline OP
master

Erda, UT
I've got a full boogie blasting setup at work, with the proper Bullard forced air hood, air supply, 175 CFM compressor and about 75 tons of #90 silica. Probably can get it blasted next week.

I don't know of anywhere down here that can dip a full car.

11.33 @ 118.46 on motor
Re: My '68 Charger restoration [Re: 67Charger] #587474
03/27/10 11:20 AM
03/27/10 11:20 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I've got a full boogie blasting setup at work, with the proper Bullard forced air hood, air supply, 175 CFM compressor and about 75 tons of #90 silica. Probably can get it blasted next week.

I don't know of anywhere down here that can dip a full car.

Lucky you, when I did mine it was shall we say an interesting experience. Looking forward to see pics.
Now I'm off to help my friend work on his 69 RR and we are also getting ready to set up for blasting with my blaster. He has taken on a project with no prior
experience or knowledge and we did more work in one day then he did in two years and was ready to get rid of the car until I offered my help and hay what can you do
when it has always been his dream car.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3