Moparts

My '68 Charger restoration

Posted By: 67Charger

My '68 Charger restoration - 01/19/10 03:53 PM

Here is my midlife crisis car, a gift from my wife for my 30th B-day. Granted, I turn 30 today, but my wife says I don't get to buy a red Corvette when I turn 40, I have to build my crisis car myself. This is what she bought me, explaining that it will take 10 years to finish, so I'd better get started now. It is a no frills 383/auto, and as such, I can do whatever I want to it rather than worry about #'s matching anything like on my '67. Here's the pics from the craigslist ad.

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/19/10 04:00 PM

Here's some more detailed pics once I got her home.

Sitting with my '67

Mexican registration stickers from the '70's

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/19/10 04:11 PM

Excavation has begun. Hood is trash, as is the RF fender. I removed them for better access to the engine and to begin assesment of the frame.

The engine cranks and tries to fire, but more exhaust was coming out the valve cover than the pipes, so I've got a burnt piston or something equally bad. No bother, I just won't mess with it anymore and move on to the body for now. I've unbolted the K-frame and loosened the control arms, I just need to ditch the t-bars and trans crossmember and the K-frame assembly will get pulled. Hopefully tonight I'll get to do so.

A rough life in the Mexican desert has led to massive amounts of silt in the frame and body work, holding moisture and causing rot. The car had a vinyl top that failed and caused rust all around the roof, so it will need replacement. Lower quarters, rear decklid, rear filler, sail panels, package tray, trunk floor, all shot. Ironically, the floors are perfect.

I'm just moving my way back and excavating before I cut metal and blast, patch and replace.

Here's the current status:

Rust in the lower A-pillar

Rust by the bumper mount

Posted By: topfueldart

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/20/10 08:31 AM

Good luck on the journey... Follow along with Jakes tactics of just cutting away at it one piece at a time, steel is pretty easy to cut, weld and grind.. Just takes a buttload of determination to tackle projects like yours. Ill be checking in, get after it!!

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/20/10 08:51 AM

Done for the night. It took over an hour to get the T-bar bolts backed out. My I-R 600 ft.lb. impact wouldn't touch them after about the first 5 turns. The nut had just enough tension off it at that point to allow it to absorb the impact and render it useless. I had to go after it with a 3' handle on the breaker bar. K-frame is unbolted, I just need to cut the exhaust off by the trans, pull the steering column back, disconnect the shift linkage, and drop the driveshaft then it's free to lift the body up and off. Maybe tomorrow.
Posted By: Satanic Mechanic

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/20/10 06:10 PM

I also just started on a 68. We can maybe help each other along.
Posted By: jake71

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/20/10 06:37 PM

Give her hell Dan! Should be loads of fun!
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/20/10 07:32 PM

Now that's a project!
Guess you can't look a gift Charger in the mouth though!

Any thoughts on drive train, colors, options?
It's fun to see how people's ideas change over the course of the project.

Hope this isn't going to keep you from the MATS this year.

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/22/10 03:28 AM

I'm thinking red with a black top, stripe and interior. 470" lowdeck stroker, one of those 5 speed OD's from Passon, make a healthy cruiser out of it. I'd love to be able to drive it to Montana and back.
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/22/10 03:43 AM

I' will take a '68 Charger over a vette anyday

Good luck with it, I can see it has some serious potential. Im 28 btw...

The world is a great place when your wife buys you a '68 Charger
Posted By: redzards

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/22/10 08:40 AM

Quote:

The world is a great place when your wife buys you a '68 Charger

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/22/10 09:48 AM

Yup, I couldn't ask for a better wife!

Today's progress: K-member assembly out. What a pain!

Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/23/10 01:08 AM

What's up with the hood?
Posted By: hemigod426

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/23/10 01:15 AM

Quote:

What's up with the hood?

looks like junk yard master key latorch

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/23/10 01:56 AM

Quote:

What's up with the hood?

Rust removal via torch. No, it wasn't me. Same as they did to the front of the lower quarters and a piece of the door. Ironically, the piece they DIDN'T cut was the latch. It's safely in that little tab in the middle.
Posted By: tippytoe

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/24/10 03:56 PM

Cool project ! Reminds me of the 68 I purchased in the early 90's. Wish I would't have ever parted it out.

Attached picture 5756564-tillerbeater.jpg

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/25/10 06:12 AM

Today I sliced the roof skin off to see what was underneath. All I can say is WOW. Stupid vinyl top was murder on the roof. I can patch a lot of it, but I'll need some actual parts to splice in for the bad areas.

I had already counted on a new roof skin, drip rails and rear frame bow. It's the sides that I need to start working on. Once I get the dash out, I'm going to sandblast the whole body. I'll picture frame the quarters that will be getting replaced so I can blast behind them but not lose all the structural integrity until I'm ready to replace the panels.

Posted By: cirrusaero

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/25/10 03:08 PM

Holy Crap!!! I hope the previous owner Paid you to take it away. That is one major project. Kudos to you for taking it on.

I'm almost done with my 68 Charger and I have a ton of parts, Trim, grill, tail lights, 68 dated 440, Nice pearl white interior. Let me know if you need anything or just advice.

In Phoenix which isn't to far away.

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/26/10 01:43 AM

Whew! and people wonder why I don't like the vinyl tops!

But my car is in about the same condition, so keep on truckin with it

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/28/10 03:30 AM

Due to the extensive rust in the roof area, I've located a complete roof assembly (skin and all) that I could either install as a unit or use for parts, and a few parts cars that I can simply get the individual panels that I need to reconstruct the roof area. It's a bit beyond the hand fabricated patch method in a few areas. I'll need to get the actual factory panels. The area above the rear passenger windows is nearly gone.

On a side note, what are these numbers stamped in the flange where the 1/4 meets the roof?

Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/30/10 04:13 AM

Glad to hear you found some good metal to put on that car. A '68 Charger is a good car to save and you will be learning a lot along the way.

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 02/05/10 07:59 AM

Got the dash out... No surprises underneath, just tons of dust and dirt. I also removed some of the bad 1/4 panel, and saw just what I suspected. Dirt and crap has built up in the bottom of the panel joints and rusted them out. The dirt in the last pic is a typical example of what I have been finding.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 02/05/10 02:39 PM

Are you still happy the wife bought you the car.

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 02/05/10 03:35 PM

...ummm, yeah. Why do you ask? She knows I love working on them, and while a finished one would be instant gratification, it would be missing 2 things: the challenge of making a derelict cast-off a piece to be proud of, and the personal connection that makes it "mine" instead of something I happened to have enough cash to buy.

Don't worry, I don't take any offense at your question, I think I understand where you're coming from. Your sig line says a lot. "Too much to do and not enough time to do it." To me, that time spent "doing it" is part of the fun. This car is plenty saveable, it just takes more time tham most are wanting to commit.

My dad asked me the same thing. He feels that anything car related that is rusted is trash, yet ironically, he loves to collect antique engines and machinery. He is a perfectionist by nature, so there is some sort of a mental block preventing him from being able to actualy start a project unless he knows it will be as good as new when he is done. As a result, he has tons of restorable machines that just sit there. I don't think he likes the process of doing the restoration, just the end result. The trouble is his standard is somewhere around OE Gold level. Few things are actually worth the cost to get to that level. He doesn't understand that I enjoy the process as much as the result.

I don't get frustrated with my '67, and I've been playing with it for 10 years now. It started at about the same point as the '68, but without the rust. No interior, dead engine/trans. Paint was mostly baked off or worn away by the elements. It had dents. LOTS of them. I built the motor and trans first and drove it around and raced it in it's various states of disrepair. The trouble with it now is that every "improvement" at this point is getting expensive. The car is basically done, and at this point all I'm doing is making it faster.

The '68 needs lots of labor (free) and a few $1000 in reproduction panels. There is a ton of clean up to be done and then the refinishing process will begin. Let's not forget I now have an excuse to build another motor. Yes, there will be lots of money needed, no way around that, but since I'm not rushed for the finished product, I can take my time and spread the purchases out. It will be done right, no sloppy jimmy-rigs or unnecessary body filler to cover up shortcuts. I simply don't need the car finished to enjoy it. I have my prize and one day I'll get to drive it. In the mean time I still get to be the proud owner of a '68 Charger.

I ses Jake71's progress, the Barrelcuda, and others like that and am inspired. Others see them and ask "...but why?!?"
Posted By: jake71

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 02/05/10 04:56 PM

Right on the head! Just last night I had a discussion with my very understanding wife about the fact that I'm a little torn on how I feel about being finished. On one hand I want to see how I did and on the other hand I don't want the journey to end. She said quite simply " Well, just get get another one, when THIS one is done".
Carry on and enjoy the ride. As you said, some don't see it. I believe it is a hobby within a hobby. The challenge is where it's at. Think of it like going back to 3rd grade once earning your diploma-boooring! This is more like going to college from 3rd grade, quite an accomplishment and requires a lot of studying and self discipline.
Have fun and keep the updates coming!-Jake

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 02/05/10 08:16 PM

Quote:

...ummm, yeah. Why do you ask? She knows I love working on them, and while a finished one would be instant gratification, it would be missing 2 things: the challenge of making a derelict cast-off a piece to be proud of, and the personal connection that makes it "mine" instead of something I happened to have enough cash to buy.

Don't worry, I don't take any offense at your question, I think I understand where you're coming from. Your sig line says a lot. "Too much to do and not enough time to do it." To me, that time spent "doing it" is part of the fun. This car is plenty saveable, it just takes more time tham most are wanting to commit.

My dad asked me the same thing. He feels that anything car related that is rusted is trash, yet ironically, he loves to collect antique engines and machinery. He is a perfectionist by nature, so there is some sort of a mental block preventing him from being able to actualy start a project unless he knows it will be as good as new when he is done. As a result, he has tons of restorable machines that just sit there. I don't think he likes the process of doing the restoration, just the end result. The trouble is his standard is somewhere around OE Gold level. Few things are actually worth the cost to get to that level. He doesn't understand that I enjoy the process as much as the result.

I don't get frustrated with my '67, and I've been playing with it for 10 years now. It started at about the same point as the '68, but without the rust. No interior, dead engine/trans. Paint was mostly baked off or worn away by the elements. It had dents. LOTS of them. I built the motor and trans first and drove it around and raced it in it's various states of disrepair. The trouble with it now is that every "improvement" at this point is getting expensive. The car is basically done, and at this point all I'm doing is making it faster.

The '68 needs lots of labor (free) and a few $1000 in reproduction panels. There is a ton of clean up to be done and then the refinishing process will begin. Let's not forget I now have an excuse to build another motor. Yes, there will be lots of money needed, no way around that, but since I'm not rushed for the finished product, I can take my time and spread the purchases out. It will be done right, no sloppy jimmy-rigs or unnecessary body filler to cover up shortcuts. I simply don't need the car finished to enjoy it. I have my prize and one day I'll get to drive it. In the mean time I still get to be the proud owner of a '68 Charger.

I ses Jake71's progress, the Barrelcuda, and others like that and am inspired. Others see them and ask "...but why?!?"

This is probably the most intellegent post I have read. I agree 100%.

I build cars that most would throw away because they are all I can afford. I also enjoy taking a car thats trashed and making it whole again.

Just look at my '70 Charger, somebody would have to really do it for the love of the car. I've been called crazy because it's just a 318 car. In my mind; it's so much more than that.

You are motivated enough to keep the project going. Good luck

There's nothing special about forking over a pile of money for a done car
Posted By: The70RTChallenge

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 02/05/10 09:23 PM

It's all about you're willingness and detirmination... Keep it comming,i'll enjoy watching your progress

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 02/06/10 02:30 AM

Quote:

Well I am glad that you did not take any offense to my question because it certainly was not meant to offend you or your wife, just a little humor question.
I am in the same boat with my cars and I applaud all who take on the endeavor of restoring a heavily rusted out car or building a custom from a heap. I also
enjoy the pics from all the project posts.

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 02/06/10 04:38 AM

Posted By: joewhite440

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 02/07/10 01:21 AM

Well said
I love this Hobby!

Back in the 80's I ran a small auto repair shop to support myself and my family. I personally wanted a streetrod and the cost was high even back then. I found a 35 Ford 3 window coupe. Everyone laughed at me and ask me why I would waste my time on it. I could not even open the door on the passenger side because the frame was rusted in half. It had no floor at all left. If I would have opened that door the car would have broken in half. I found a 1936 frame that had a section that I needed in it and it was good. I left the body bolted to the frame just so I could cut out the old section and get the new piece in correctly. Once I did that I welded Angles across the door openings to hold the car together to lift the body off. I Sandblasted the whole car body then welded in Rocker Panels to hold the body together and fabricated my own floor and tunnel. Anyways I got the body completly done and painted all except front fenders. My financial situation forced me to sell it back then(Family First). I still see it at the Beaver and Beaver Falls Car Shows and It is very nice even with the chevy drivetrain. The guy has all my restoration pictures in a book that he keeps with him. My son and wife helped me with a lot of that work and like you said it may have been a laugh to most but I loved making something out of nothing. Wish I still had the car but I only have the memories. I have a picture This was the day I sold it.

Attached picture 5787335-35ford.JPG
Posted By: 3eighty3

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 02/12/10 01:36 PM

Respect for the scope of work and effort you are getting yourself into. That's a lot of metalwork...and I thought my car was rusty! I agree that building your own project is part of the fun of the hobby and sure beats just buying a finished car. Great going!

__________________________________________ Cuda blog
Posted By: chargersNW

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 02/15/10 03:49 AM

I am rethinking the value of my rusty parts car.

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 02/21/10 03:17 AM

All the metal currently available for that car it is definately savable. Will be nice when the day comes when that car is sitting in the garage, all metal work done, with a nice shiny paint job. It can be done, just takes a very tough, determined, strong willed, hard working person with a vision to carry it all the way through.

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 02/21/10 04:21 AM

Got the firewall completely stripped, no nasty surprises there. I was also pleasantly surprised thet the rear package tray is actually fine, it is just the lower window gutter that is shot. One less panel to R&R. I called AMD and asked them if they were planning on doing A-pillars, and they said yes, but about a year out. I should have this thing completely stripped and ready for blasting in a few weeks. I also took the time to clean out another bay in the garage for epoxy coating so I can get some of the stuff moved out of the bay the Charger is in and get some work space back.

Posted By: Mopargnome

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 02/22/10 06:06 AM

If your going to get a roof off a parts, car take it apart and put it in your car piece by piece. If you just cut the pillars and weld on the new one you will lose alot of strength because there are several layers of metal in the pillars and you wont be able to penetrate all those with a weld. I'm just finishing up a roofskin replacement on a challenger that had a vinyl top. Those things are killer on sheetmetal. Good luck with your project. Stay focused and before you know it you will have a sweet Charger!

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 02/22/10 07:05 AM

The roof I got will just be used for individual parts. If the original metal is intact, it stays. I don't want a big shear line of weld where I butted the two sections together. The inner panels of the frame are almost untouched except directly over the 1/4 window. The lower panel of the upper windshield frame is fine, but I'm replacing 1/2 of the upper panel. The sides will get new drip rails, and get the outer panels replaced with parts from the donor roof. At no point will the continuity of the perimiter be broken.

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 03/22/10 06:33 AM

I have just about everything from the latch post forward stripped. I just need to remove the brake lines, tail lights and trim, rear axle and the 1/4 window assemblies, and it will be ready to blast. I'll be home all this week with the wife and new little one that is scheduled to be born Monday, so I should be able to squeeze in enough time to give it one last blitz to prepare it for blasting.

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 03/22/10 01:27 PM

Are you going to blast it yourself or send it out and have you thought about having it dipped?

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 03/27/10 08:23 AM

I've got a full boogie blasting setup at work, with the proper Bullard forced air hood, air supply, 175 CFM compressor and about 75 tons of #90 silica. Probably can get it blasted next week.

I don't know of anywhere down here that can dip a full car.

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 03/27/10 03:20 PM

Quote:

I've got a full boogie blasting setup at work, with the proper Bullard forced air hood, air supply, 175 CFM compressor and about 75 tons of #90 silica. Probably can get it blasted next week.

Lucky you, when I did mine it was shall we say an interesting experience. Looking forward to see pics.
Now I'm off to help my friend work on his 69 RR and we are also getting ready to set up for blasting with my blaster. He has taken on a project with no prior
experience or knowledge and we did more work in one day then he did in two years and was ready to get rid of the car until I offered my help and hay what can you do
when it has always been his dream car.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 03/27/10 04:12 PM

Looks like you are taking on a big project. Good luck.
Posted By: JcodeCharger

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 03/29/10 06:33 AM

Quote:

First off your wife should win an award for being so supportive of your hobby. Secondly, I think its great when another car gets saved from the wrecker. I have a feeling it will turn out very nice.

There are 2 places near you who can do chemical stripping in your area. One is Paint Stripping Corp. in Santa Fe Springs and the other is Strip Clean in Santa Ana. I have used both with excellent results. Obviously dipping a car isnt cheap and it sounds like you have all you need to blast your car already. I just thought that I would let you know about these two places. For a car this rusty its just extra insurance to have it dipped over blasted. Good luck and congrats on your midlife crisis car!

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 05/24/10 10:45 PM

Well, it's been really busy lately, and I've been rather distracted with work and converting the '67 to a Open Road Race car, but that's getting back under control. I've got another '67 Charger that I bought as a parts car years ago, but never could cut it up since I decided it would make a good start for a gutted 150+ mph road racer for the Silver State Classic. Well, we've gotten our hands on a stock car, so the plans for the parts '67 are gone, and it may now go back to being a parts car, but for the '68. The cowl, door pillars and lots of other parts are interchangable and needed. Another week or two and I should get it blasted.

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 05/26/10 03:04 AM

What!......... no update pics with your post?
Posted By: basketcase

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 06/09/10 09:59 PM

that's alot of work, but hang in there. glad to see another Charger saved. great wife!

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 06/26/10 09:04 AM

Tonight's progress - One pitted cowl removed and a metric butt-load of crap exposed. NASTY! What I find most disturbing is the fact that I had already vacuumed it out "good enough" before even considering removing it for replacement. I cannot even imagine what a disaster that would have caused later on.

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 06/26/10 02:52 PM

You certianly are a brave soul. Do people say you are stuborn?

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 06/26/10 03:03 PM

Quote:

You certianly are a brave soul. Do people say you are stuborn?

Yes! How did you know?

...I prefer "determined," "dedicated," or "task oriented."

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 07/18/10 01:53 AM

I saw those new AMD reproduction cowls at Carlisle. Man are they nice.

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/23/11 08:04 AM

Here's a little update...

I blasted until the sun went down them shot all the bare metal with PPG DP50LF Epoxy Primer.

I've had 2 good fenders and some patch parts media blasted and they are waiting in the wings. More sandblasting to the chassis is on the menu, but work has been really busy.

Posted By: RemCharger

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/23/11 05:51 PM

Hey, nice work
And lots of it!
How are those castors attached?

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 01/23/11 08:53 PM

Quote:

Hey, nice work
And lots of it!
How are those castors attached?

Thanks!

The casters use a piece of cut-open rectangular tubing that has the same inside dimension as the width of the frame rail. I lined them up with an existing hole so I could pass a bolt through as a retainer, but they were such a perfect fit I actually had to tap them on with a rubber mallet. They don't fall off. In hind sight, I should have made the channel about a foot long, then it wouldn't want to tuck under undaer any circumstance. Once I get to rolling it around I'll put a bolt in for safety. The rears (not shown) use and old set of front spring hangers with a flat plate across the bottom instead of the 3 sided channel, and then the same 3 1/2" vertical spacer.
Posted By: aspenrt360

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 05/08/11 02:51 AM

lo's of work but looking good

Re: My '68 Charger restoration - 05/09/11 12:41 AM

As promised, an update. I'm trying not to remove entire substructure panels, but rather splice in good for bad to hopefully preserve factory fitment since there will always be other pieces holding the alignment in check. The trunk floor will remain and the bad center section clearanced out for a custom rectangular cell mounted midway through the floor for added clearance, but will still fill with the factory filler.

Drivers Side behind the 1/4. No unpleasant surprises

Trunk extension survived, will need minor pin-hole repair.

Exposing the trunk rails to salvage them and the stamped VIN

Passenger side was a little worse. I have a new section of rocker to replace most of the missing area without removing the ENTIRE rocker.

Door hinge post. Going to splice in new (donor car) piece.

Front P/S frame rail. Needs more cut away. Have donor rail, just determining the size of the splice.
© 2024 Moparts Forums