moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
Quote:

[
Dave,I responded to all your PMs.Your discription of the rod condition,having been cycled with 30W oil then molylube creating the need for reconditioning.I didn't respond to that because the engine I recieved had been assembled twice before,and the rods sized before I got it,this may or may not have been the reason for the sizing.If this be the case then that more dollars that has to be spent.

Bob,
I appreciate the responses. What wasn't clear to me from the get go, and maybe others, is that the kit HAD BEEN ASSEMBLED before. Once, twice, whatever, to me doesnt matter. It means your inspection results and findings are not "out of the box" as I ASSuMEd...lol. I'm not faulting you at all. It just clicked in my own head when your findings didn't jive with mine. I've only looked at 5 sets over as many years so by others' definitions I'm just a hack with no valid input . IMO, Curt's findings in the rods' case are representative of what one might find had one of the first two shops caught and fixed them. It's good that you checked an posted. I believe the manufacturer assumes they are fine as boxed. I assume they are needing some lovin'.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: 440 source kit update part 2 #575989
01/08/10 09:50 AM
01/08/10 09:50 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Does anyone know if the broken Cast Eagle crank on unlawfuls was billed as ready to run?

Just an opinion but what would really be beneficial is if 3 or so kits were bought (440source, mancinii, K1) and then compared equally step by step.

Don't be mad at Brandon or Jeff there just bringing there prof. opponion. BG builds bracket motors and Jeff builds ss/ah motors. Input from both is appreciated.

James,I'am not mad at anyone,Brandon nor Jeff,but if they want to contribute do so in an uncondenscending way.I have a good command of the English language and can interpert verbal usage quite well.I respect anyone opinion wether I agree or not.That they piled on at an oppertunistic moment to try and discredit me through their condenscending verbage,caused me to react.That Brandon sells thousnds of these kits is great,dosen't mean there are not issues and he could defend and explain each as he had the oppertunity to do so.That Jeff decided to take his shot and Brandon decided to capitalize on it and they both thought I would crawl under my woobbie blanket was an error in judgement.Seems they both have a stake here.Also you mentioned that I build "bracket" motors and Jeff builds "SS/AH" motors,just how many SS/AH motors does Jeff build,how many are competitive,who are his customers?What do Barton and Jackson(CW) engines build?BGR(if you have ever heard of us) builds competitive,reliable,dependable engines for racers,by racers and we will let our racers speak for us,there is not enough space to even start to list them,just look around.As Judge Judy says"don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining" and when some wants to pee on me "out comes my umbrella"

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: Bob_Coomer] #575990
01/08/10 10:02 AM
01/08/10 10:02 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Do you plan to run that bearing clearance found .002-.0025? Or a switch out to a HXN type bearing going to be in order to get you more in the .003-.0035 range? [/

Bob,we like.002,.0025 range for this type of build,and never have bearing issues.We use synthetic oils.We have noticed at tighter clearences we have less pressure drop at the big end and shut down.When we run the .003+ we see the drop and use an accumulator.

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: B G Racing] #575991
01/08/10 10:13 AM
01/08/10 10:13 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Not sure I follow......

Of all the rotating assemblies mentioned above, you have the added expense of re-sizing the rods?

Repeating what has been said a millionXs over.Never assume anything is race ready to use out of the box,be it cylinder heads,cranks,rods, pistons or whatever.Got a set of pistons,premium matched set to the gram,rings included.Rings didnt fit the ringlands.Also got a top of line billit set of rods once,all rods had 1/2 -12 point capscrews one was 7/16 head.

That's true Bob but what is being asked here is isn't this rod critique invalid because someone already corrected them? If these were out of the box then I can see it being a valid exam , but all you are really doing is checking someone elses work and not the as delivered from the source product.

Also, a .005 difference in length, that's acceptable ???

I'm just asking ...

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: JohnRR] #575992
01/08/10 10:34 AM
01/08/10 10:34 AM
Diego-Town, CA
Diego_Ted Offline
master
Diego_Ted  Offline
master

Diego-Town, CA
Gentelman, I do not see any more good coming from build post 1 so I locked it. All the players gave their and members have to decide on what is right for them. I say continue with the build and post what is found, (Others may as well) but please leave personal opinions about the products out, just the facts found, I think this is the way BG intended the build to be.

Ted

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: JohnRR] #575993
01/08/10 10:36 AM
01/08/10 10:36 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not sure I follow......

Of all the rotating assemblies mentioned above, you have the added expense of re-sizing the rods?

Repeating what has been said a millionXs over.Never assume anything is race ready to use out of the box,be it cylinder heads,cranks,rods, pistons or whatever.Got a set of pistons,premium matched set to the gram,rings included.Rings didnt fit the ringlands.Also got a top of line billit set of rods once,all rods had 1/2 -12 point capscrews one was 7/16 head.

That's true Bob but what is being asked here is isn't this rod critique invalid because someone already corrected them? If these were out of the box then I can see it being a valid exam , but all you are really doing is checking someone elses work and not the as delivered from the source product.

Also, a .005 difference in length, that's acceptable ???

I'm just asking ...

Good point John,and valid questions.We can only deal with the kit we aquired after the owner gave up on it.We got a great deal and are trying our best to make it work and will use this build for one of our racers as a test bed for Brandons kits. Regardless of the issues we intend to do our best and test the duralibility and realiability of the kit and at no risk or cost to anyone,with no personal agenda.No one is a loser here,we can just continue on our merry way as we have done for over 40 years and forget we ever heard of "The Source".As for Curt's measurements,he measured the top and bottom bores devided them in half and measured the bottom of the pin bore to the top of the crank pin bore on the rod and did the math.He took all the varaiences and adveraged them at .005.Admittely there is a more accurate way to measure this with a fixture that I have for measuring rods that he can't find Saturday I will measure them myself on my large stand micrometer and a marble stand.I will record those dimension for everyone.Curt is a first year mechanical engineering student and trying to do his best at BGR,we are very proud and confident he will a viable member of BGR.

Last edited by B G Racing; 01/08/10 11:08 AM.
Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #575994
01/08/10 11:15 AM
01/08/10 11:15 AM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Just wondering was the center to center .005 or.0005. Thanks for all the info.

I'd like that answer as well but FWIW if the resizing that was done was to the big end & not just honing the pin fit on the small end than the measurments could have been effected...

you beat me to it, I asked the question earlier .005" or .0005"
If the shop that previously resized the rods did a um.........lackluster job of keeping everything equal with the amount of material removed in the rod and cap grinder this will effect the C to C lengths.

Being as these rods did not come straight from 440 Source I think you have to put into question the C to C lengths AND the size of the big end as they could have been Dead On Size to begin with.

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: roadhazard] #575995
01/08/10 12:44 PM
SE Michigan
TS3303 Offline
top fuel
TS3303  Offline
top fuel

SE Michigan
it is unfortunate that the kit is not untouched as delivered and will put a * on the final results.

But the general information shared from Team BG () will be beneficial to the 99.999999% percent of the worlds engine builders, with no real experience.

"Engine builders who have real experience, (and I'm talking about builders who have built thousands of engines over decades)".

in before the

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: curt jr] #575996
NC
440Jim Offline
I Live Here
440Jim  Offline
I Live Here

NC
It appears you have different rods in your kit compared to the ones in mine (bought in 2007). I have 6.535", 2.200/0.990, I-beam, with ARP 8740 bolts.

My pin ends were too tight, so they were honed to fit the pins (normal). The big ends were within spec, but tighter than my machinist liked, so he honed them slightly on the rod machine.

I am using Clevite CB-743HN bearings, as these replaced the CB-743H. I didn't see any bearings stickout or misaligned in my rods, but I only mocked up 2 so far. This is what I measured:

CB-743HN 0.839" total width
CB-743H 0.890" total width with a chamfer to a smaller width
FM7200CH 0.860" total width with a chamfer

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: Diego_Ted] #575997
01/08/10 12:53 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Gentelman, I do not see any more good coming from build post 1 so I locked it. All the players gave their and members have to decide on what is right for them. I say continue with the build and post what is found, (Others may as well) but please leave personal opinions about the products out, just the facts found, I think this is the way BG intended the build to be.

Ted

Ted don't rule from the bench if the threads break no rules I suggest letting them run their course. just my opinion for whats it's worth.

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: 440Jim] #575998
SE Michigan
TS3303 Offline
top fuel
TS3303  Offline
top fuel

SE Michigan
Quote:

It appears you have different rods in your kit compared to the ones in mine (bought in 2007). I have 6.535", 2.200/0.990, I-beam, with ARP 8740 bolts.

There have been a few posts of "differences" in their kits. Now feedback from the source on things like that, changes, improvements, etc in the kit over the years shared in a professional manner would have been a plus to the thread.

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: TS3303] #575999
01/08/10 01:02 PM
01/08/10 01:02 PM
Northeast Georgia
47hudson Offline
enthusiast
47hudson  Offline
enthusiast

Northeast Georgia
Quote:

Quote:

There have been a few posts of "differences" in their kits. Now feedback from the source on things like that, changes, improvements, etc in the kit over the years shared in a professional manner would have been a plus to the thread.

Would be nice but after the way he's been treated by many people on this board the past few years I don't think you'll hear much. I don't blame him either, I know I wouldn't put up with some of the crap he has and still post here much less sponsor the site!

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: TS3303] #576000
01/08/10 01:06 PM
01/08/10 01:06 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Brandon has a golden oppertunity to help us understand the issues,concerns and facts of what we see.Explaniations to the whys,whens and the wheres of things to be concerned or not.He can bring "General Custer" as his "expert"

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: B G Racing] #576001
01/08/10 01:13 PM
01/08/10 01:13 PM
SW Ohio
C
cgall Offline
top fuel
cgall  Offline
top fuel
C

SW Ohio
The obvious flaw in this whole experiment is that you started with a kit that has known problems.

It would have been far more objective to have purchased a new kit anonymously and evaluated it.

You could have entitled this thread "How we inspect and correct manufacturing issues in stroker assembly kits" without naming the manufacturer.

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: cgall] #576002
01/08/10 01:23 PM
01/08/10 01:23 PM
Austin, TX
HemiDave Offline
master
HemiDave  Offline
master

Austin, TX
Quote:

The obvious flaw in this whole experiment is that you started with a kit that has known problems.

It would have been far more objective to have purchased a new kit anonymously and evaluated it.

You could have entitled this thread "How we inspect and correct manufacturing issues in stroker assembly kits" without naming the manufacturer.

Maybe the title should be, "2nd or 3rd hand 440 Source kit update"...which would make it meaningless...which it seems to be at this point.

BTW, I bought one of their Hemi cranks when they were having a closeout and my builder (that builds Outlaw Pro Mod motors) said it looked very good!!

Dave

Last edited by HemiDave; 01/08/10 01:26 PM.
Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: cgall] #576003
01/08/10 01:34 PM
01/08/10 01:34 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

There were no secrets from the first post and all known information was passed on.The question we all were looking for after all the years of people bashing Source kits,was are they a viable alternative to budget engine builders and is there truely a cost saving or are the just as or nearly as costly as higher priced kits.When all the bashing was going on (over a year ago) I posted that I didn't think there would be any saving if a lot of time and money spent correcting the budget kit.We corrected two kits for two of Brandons customers and things went well.We aquired a kit that frustrated the customer and was presented with and oppertunity to evaluate it here on Moparts at no cost or risk to anyone,in retrospect,I wish I didn't try and be so helpfull to both Brandon and Moparts,but heh thats just my nature,sorry thing got a little testie.

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #576004
01/08/10 01:38 PM
01/08/10 01:38 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Nothing is "always" right and mistakes are made, however, it has been my experience, that the "better" parts are much more often "right" than the cheap parts.

But isn't it a gamble either way? If murphy's law strikes, you're going to pay for the "better(which actually means more expensive)" parts and they could need as much work as the cheap stuff. Or you could buy a cheaper kit and end up with one that needs little to nothing. You can either buy a $1.5k kit and plan to potentially spend x amount of $ fixing the issues or buy a $3k kit and pray nothing needs fixing. It is a gamble either way because like you say, nothing is 'always' right. You do take your chances, which ever way you go.

All I can give is my opinion. Although I have not built thousands of motors, which it seems to take to be considered experienced by some, I have built a lot. Most of them are big HP stuff, so I rarely use the cheap kits, but I have used them, on some stock and lower HP builds and here is what I have found. I prefer the K-1 kits. Yes, they cost a little more, but I have NEVER had to correct one thing, on any K-1 kit, that I have personally bought. Am I saying they are all perfect, no, but I have never had an issue. Never had an issue with Eagle either, but the shop foreman is a personal friend, so I disqualify them, as I get great service and attention, but I know some have had issues. I have used some Source parts, as well as Scat and some others. I have yet to have a kit from one of those places, that did not need something. Be it crank work, rod sizing, balance, something was not as I wanted it. Now admittedly, I am extremely picky and will not just "let it go". I want it "right" and am going to have it that way. Just because there is an accepted tolerance, does not mean I accept it. I square and set decks, align hone and basically race prep, every motor I do, even if it is a stock rebuild. If you are going to do it, why not do it right. My method costs me some business, because some don't want to pay for the extra work, for what they intend to do, but my method also gives me an excellant reputation with my customers, as providing powerful and trouble free engines. So, even as picky as I am, the K-1 kits, satisfy my needs, the others, not so much. I will also mention, that I have no connection to Callies, or any of the other companies listed. I pay full price, just like anyone else, so that is no consideration. I use what I have had good luck with. So yes, while ANY part can be a gamble, I choose to go with the better odds.

Monte

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: 493_DART] #576005
01/08/10 01:42 PM
01/08/10 01:42 PM
LOWELL IN
Q
QWK_ENUF Offline
top fuel
QWK_ENUF  Offline
top fuel
Q

LOWELL IN

My 440 Source rods did not need to be re-sized .

Anyone else ?

I like this testing idea , but to be fair we need other users of these parts to post they're experiences ---good or bad .*****

i am going on my 3rd season with my source 511 and no problems so far

i used a 4.25 stroke source crank

with chevy size rod jornals

clearances on rod and mains were about .0025 and i wanted a little more

all work was done at Van Sensus auto parts who do most machine work in our area

crank was very nice and was good as is

i used a std rod bearing on the top and a .001 under on the bottom

for the mains they polished it for a little more clearance

i used a set of Elgin rods that had to have the small end rebushed as the were not straight

the source pistons were perfect

van sensus also balanced the assy and used a tiny bit of mallory because the elgin rods were heavier than source rods

cost me $45 to dress up the mains and $80 to rebush the elgin rods

balancing was $150

WAXER
Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: Quicktree] #576006
01/08/10 02:27 PM
01/08/10 02:27 PM
Diego-Town, CA
Diego_Ted Offline
master
Diego_Ted  Offline
master

Diego-Town, CA

Ted don't rule from the bench if the threads break no rules I suggest letting them run their course. just my opinion for whats it's worth.

What I would like to say is, I have no problems with facts found, I adjudicate claims for a living and live and die by the fact. I do have a problem with inuendo or pseudo facts (opinions) because they help no one, they are like #$@$% everyone has one. Everyone who has spent any amount of time on here knows what goes on in these types of posts, so to keep things civil, personal opinions about good, bad, ugly are just subjective. The only objective stuff is facts, so lets post facts and let the members decide who they want to spend their $$ with.

Diego

Last edited by Diego_Ted; 01/08/10 06:40 PM.
Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: B G Racing] #576007
01/08/10 02:58 PM
01/08/10 02:58 PM
detroit area
M
moderncylinder Offline
top fuel
moderncylinder  Offline
top fuel
M

detroit area
bob i didnt mean to,, and thought i didnt take a shot at you or your shop. i read that post for a few days,, just checking in and seen many guys asking what it would take to "fix the issues" but when i read it i didnt see any issues that were different from other parts,, it seemed to me that 440 source was being singled out. maybe i use inferior parts in motors i build and im just accustomed to having to do all these things, scat, callies, ohio cranks with pins drilled on angles that ARENT drilled through, main bearings that need to be narrowed or scraped cause the crank has a 1/8" radius, bearings that dont line up cause the tang location on the bearing is a little off,, or the slot in the rod.. these are problems with every kit thats on this planet just about,, maybe not the k-1, ive never seen them

ill tell a story about the bearing misalignment that bob found,,, i have a few rods that we have machind into big end square fixtures for narrowing bearings in the bridgeport with a boring bar,, a 2.200 bb chevy, 2.375 bb mopar,, 2.00 chevy, 2.100 chevy,,, ive seen bearings misaligned in all of them, when we narrow them we correct it, but we usually only narrow bearings when needed or for class race stuff, in my manley I beam rods that cost 1300 bucks or so,, the bearings dont line up out of the box, in my factory rod i use for a fixture they do not line up,, so id imagine its a bearing problem, not a tang location issue,,, or maybe you can look into this bob since you are helping out the moparts crowd, look at the 440 source rod as compared to a factory rod for the tang location to seee where the problem lies..

as for me building ss/ah motors and how competitive i am and so on,, i make 900 or so hp,, charlie makes 940-950, ray makes 980,, to my perception,,,, im working on it but taking a 2500 gram bobweight and a 440 cubic inch hemi that runs to 9000rpm is not your typical bracket motor you build,, these thing break parts very easily, i dont break anything,, though ive had piston issues this year learning how much cam shape in the skirt you can run and how it stabilizes the piston rock, skirt profiles, headland diameters, ringland clearance, cylinder wall finish,, etc... had a few issues,, ran ok in the beginning of the year,, but messed up a few things later on..

bob,, if you could list the issues so we could get a re-group and have a post specific to what guys need to look for when building, i think they kinda got lost in all the random posts, then guys can determine if they are actual issues or not and decide if they want to fix that particular part or whatever...

jeff

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6