S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Quote:

If you set your carb lean and add hydrogen of course you will go farther. It is NOT better fuel mileage because you had to add fuel

So you really don't know what you're talking about then !!!

When you run hydrogen you don't change the carb or injection setup, you just add the hydrogen and oxygen to the mix. The hydrogen burns at a much higher temp and ignites what would otherwise be unburned gasoline. It is not the hydrogen that adds the power and economy, but the complete combustion of the fuel charge.

Yes, it takes power to create the electricity to generate hydrogen BUT the power obtained from the otherwise unburned fuel is greater than that required to produce the hydrogen.

So you're not getting nothing for nothing, you're just getting full use of what you already paid for instead of spewing it out the tailpipe.

The complete combustion also reduces emissions which means your catcon lasts longer.

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: Stanton] #557245
02/11/10 10:01 AM
02/11/10 10:01 AM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

Quote:

If you set your carb lean and add hydrogen of course you will go farther. It is NOT better fuel mileage because you had to add fuel

So you really don't know what you're talking about then !!!

When you run hydrogen you don't change the carb or injection setup, you just add the hydrogen and oxygen to the mix. The hydrogen burns at a much higher temp and ignites what would otherwise be unburned gasoline. It is not the hydrogen that adds the power and economy, but the complete combustion of the fuel charge.

Yes, it takes power to create the electricity to generate hydrogen BUT the power obtained from the otherwise unburned fuel is greater than that required to produce the hydrogen.

So you're not getting nothing for nothing, you're just getting full use of what you already paid for instead of spewing it out the tailpipe.

The complete combustion also reduces emissions which means your catcon lasts longer.

I can find more than one fatal flaw in your assessment. Sorry. It doesn't work.

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: Stanton] #557246
02/11/10 10:18 AM
02/11/10 10:18 AM
nc
E
emarine01 Offline
master
emarine01  Offline
master
E

nc
Browns gas has been around for a long time, to date it has not proven its self in a internal combustion engine, Who knows maybe this BMW guy figured it out, But till its proven the only free lunch is to not eat, It seems that over time other technologies have replaced the few uses for browns gas due to its inefficiency

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: emarine01] #557247
02/20/10 12:14 PM
02/20/10 12:14 PM
Dirty South, MS
mopowered Offline
mopar
mopowered  Offline
mopar

Dirty South, MS
More food for the skeptics - notice the growing list of vehicles in the left-hand column (including Chrysler)

http://www.hydrogencarsnow.com/

BTW - we aren't the only country building a "Hydrogen Highway" <- proof in link above

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: rebel] #557248
02/20/10 08:16 PM
02/20/10 08:16 PM
State of retirement
52savoy Offline
master
52savoy  Offline
master

State of retirement
You can buy the conversion kits on eBay if you don't already know by now.
I bought the blueprints a couple years ago to build my own but after watching an investigative report on them on that showed widespread fraud, I doubt I'll ever consider trying it. The shop(s) that were converting them claimed something like a 15% or more mileage increase depending on vehicle. The undercover reporters had their cars fuel mileage certified before hand but when they got them them back the mileage was actually worse by 1-2mpg.
If any of you are interested, I have a set of blueprints to sell..

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: 52savoy] #557249
02/20/10 09:16 PM
02/20/10 09:16 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
That link refers to hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. Totally different than the use of hydrogen in a normal internal combustion engine.

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: 70Cuda383] #557250
02/20/10 09:17 PM
02/20/10 09:17 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
Why would you even post that?
HealthServices  Offline
Why would you even post that?

So Cal
Quote:

Links? videos? press coverage?

look at youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avt4pTvnt-E&feature=related

HHO is what its been called, has been around for a while. The biggest problem is production. If someone can actually produce enough quantities efficiently the gas companies will be scared. So far no one makes a system that produces 'HHO' cheap and efficient. As it is there are enough skeptics to basically keep HHO systems to just the "weirdos" I researched this a while back and it pops up on this board once in a while.

For the most part the gas is directly injected into the motor as soon as it is made so HHO produced is used as soon as it is made.

Yes, the gas produced is just hydrogen and oxygen in gas form. Yes hydrogen will burn.

You can find out more about these systems by

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=hho&ei=utf-8&fr=ie8

Or look up HHO gas generator

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0ge...r=ie8&sao=0

And yes this is not a hydrogen car otherwise the OP would not have mention the increase in gas mileage. The car does not run on hydrogen and oxygen alone but a combination of the gas and gasoline.

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: hydrogen injection [Re: Stanton] #557251
02/21/10 12:06 PM
02/21/10 12:06 PM
Dirty South, MS
mopowered Offline
mopar
mopowered  Offline
mopar

Dirty South, MS
Quote:

That link refers to hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. Totally different than the use of hydrogen in a normal internal combustion engine.

This one should be much more "on point" even if a bit outdated (1977 IIRC):

http://smacksboosters.110mb.com/NASA%20.pdf

I suppose we should consider this a finished argument especially considering the total lack of evidence coming from the other side... BTW, thanks for your input!

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: 70Cuda383] #557252
02/21/10 12:37 PM
02/21/10 12:37 PM
oregon
S
savoyracer Offline
mopar
savoyracer  Offline
mopar
S

oregon
Interesting conversation, some of you guys are way over my head. However, I am a history buff, and World war 2 is a particular interest. In the 1940's our fighter planes, were equipped with a water injection system, that enabled them to achieve "SHORT" term horsepower gains during a dogfight. I have no idea how it worked, nor do I care, but this whole discussion is about 70year old technology. It obviously worked in the 1940's and probably worked well enough to save some pilots lives. whether it is practical for automobiles or not remains to be seen. The important thing is that it is a tried and proven method in that particular application, and therefore the expanded usage into other applications is possible and worth looking at.

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: rebel] #557253
02/21/10 12:54 PM
02/21/10 12:54 PM
Long Beach, CA
Mike Swann Offline
super stock
Mike Swann  Offline
super stock

Long Beach, CA
One thing that has been mentioned is that you cant violate he 2nd law of thermodynamics. Good.

Another thing is if you going to make any significant power, the hydrogen has to be direct injected in the combustion chamber. If you think that you can pipe it in like propane to a normally aspirated engine, you are wrong.

The hydrogen is low density at STP, its displaces most of the air(O2). Haven't looked at it closely, but I doubt you could even make lower explosive limit if you start out at STP. If you can, your 350ci engine might make 25-40 hp based off of relative density of the H2.

8.30's @3400 lbs
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4