12/18/09 09:51 PM
12/18/09 09:51 PM
aotearoa
rebel Offline OP
master
rebel  Offline OP
master

aotearoa
had an interesting chat this morning with an old aquaintance who is developing hydgrogen injection systems for streetcars. yesterday he had his 10 test mules certified that the hydrogen kits he's installed all showed 20-25% increase in power on the dyno. he discussed adding one to my racecar for next season but at the moment he's gearing up for production for a june 2010 release onto the market. any members here ever tried hydrogen in their cars? this gents test car was a '95 bmw 318 & i was really impressed how quick it runs around our roads. the exhaust was so clean it looked like it had just been installed. his claims were 20-25% increase in power with a 25-30% reduction in fuel consumption. hope this system takes off, a 20% increase in power from 1/2 gallon of water sounds like a better deal than nos.

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: rebel] #557185
12/18/09 10:00 PM
12/18/09 10:00 PM
madison, ohio
modified1090 Offline
enthusiast
modified1090  Offline
enthusiast

madison, ohio
i remember a fad a few years back when a couple of local racers switched to propane power. they also claimed it made more power but soon that fad fell off.

i say give it a try, what do you have to lose.
sometimes different is good, and who knows it might catch on.
one draw back though the storage tanks are heavy i believe.

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: modified1090] #557186
12/18/09 11:28 PM
12/18/09 11:28 PM
Lynchburg, VA
Leon441 Offline
master
Leon441  Offline
master

Lynchburg, VA
I have a neighbor that runs the brown gas in all his cars. He uses the little kits that turn water into hydrogen. He picks up mileage in all his cars. He is also a speed freak and has never mentioned any increase in power.

From my research I can't see how fuel(hydrogen) could make more power. You need more oxygen also.

Dave Johnson, Ryan's(RyanJ) brother is an engineer of such matters. He is extremely sharp on these things. I would try to contact him.

Leon

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.
Re: hydrogen injection [Re: modified1090] #557187
12/19/09 12:09 AM
12/19/09 12:09 AM
aotearoa
rebel Offline OP
master
rebel  Offline OP
master

aotearoa
Quote:

one draw back though the storage tanks are heavy i believe.

he's making the 1/2 gallon storage containers from carbon fiber. he told me the original water containers were made from stainless but after a week the stainless was failing like it was delaminating from the electrical pulses that separated the hydrogen. 1/2G of water has to lighter than a nos bottle huh?

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: Leon441] #557188
12/19/09 12:34 AM
12/19/09 12:34 AM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

I have a neighbor that runs the brown gas in all his cars. He uses the little kits that turn water into hydrogen. He picks up mileage in all his cars. He is also a speed freak and has never mentioned any increase in power.

From my research I can't see how fuel(hydrogen) could make more power. You need more oxygen also.

Dave Johnson, Ryan's(RyanJ) brother is an engineer of such matters. He is extremely sharp on these things. I would try to contact him.

Leon

I built a Browns Gas setup (Dual 1-Quart) that I run in my 2001 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 Litre 4-Banger and it gets aprox. 3-4 MPG increase over stock, idles smoother and seems noticeably peppier.....the exhaust is clean as a whistle as you mentioned and in a year I've only had to top the water off twice.

Rickster

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: rebel] #557189
12/19/09 12:35 AM
12/19/09 12:35 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
I'm skeptic. because I know and understand the universal constant of energy. it cannot be created or destroyed, simply transferred from one form to another.

you mentioned water, electrical pulses to separate H2O into Hydrogen and Oxygen.

that right there is what has me skeptic.

where's the electric going to come from that separates the water? now, I'm not a rocket scientist, but I'd bet a C-note that the amount of energy required to separate the water is going to be identical to the energy released when the 2 are joined back together during combustion in the engine.

so, now you need an electric source that is equal to the power that you are getting from the burning of the hydrogen.

Alternator on the engine? ok. but, now all the energy that you're getting from the combustion of hydrogen and oxygen in the engine, is going to be robbed by the alternator as it generates enough energy, to separate the water prior to it going in the engine, and assuming a perfect world, a net gain of zero, but in reality, a loss, as an alternator is not 100% efficient, voltage loss from the resistance of the copper wires, etc...

batteries? Ok. sure. but they add weight...and when do they get recharged? at night? alright. what is your local power plant burning to make that electricity that charges the batteries at night?

see my point? I'm skeptical that this will work! sorry.

sure, your buddy might be able to use a system like this, use batteries as his electrical power source to separate the water, and then burn it in his internal combustion engine and his car will use less liquid gasoline, giving the illusion of better efficiency. when in reality...there is no net gain unless the electricity is coming from a "green" power plant like wind turbines, solar, etc. and in which case, you might as well ditch the whole internal combustion engine idea, and go all electric with that green energy.

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: hydrogen injection [Re: 70Cuda383] #557190
12/19/09 01:59 AM
12/19/09 01:59 AM
aotearoa
rebel Offline OP
master
rebel  Offline OP
master

aotearoa
well a bmw318 is not a big car, i didn't see a windmill attached & the battery was still the little sized unit you'd use to jump start a flashlight. the water box was just a little bigger than an A4 ringbinder folder & the electric unit that ran it was probably about the size of 5 cd cases stacked together. his test mule has been running for just over a year with developments. he works nights so his car runs headlights to & from his place of work, 60 miles from his house, & he said his old beemeer was reliable as clockwork. i hope it will work on my car but at present all his test mules are efi. hopefully by mid 2010 these units will take off & become the norm in the future.

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: 70Cuda383] #557191
12/19/09 02:36 AM
12/19/09 02:36 AM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

I'm skeptic. because I know and understand the universal constant of energy. it cannot be created or destroyed, simply transferred from one form to another.

you mentioned water, electrical pulses to separate H2O into Hydrogen and Oxygen.

that right there is what has me skeptic.

where's the electric going to come from that separates the water? now, I'm not a rocket scientist, but I'd bet a C-note that the amount of energy required to separate the water is going to be identical to the energy released when the 2 are joined back together during combustion in the engine.

so, now you need an electric source that is equal to the power that you are getting from the burning of the hydrogen.

Alternator on the engine? ok. but, now all the energy that you're getting from the combustion of hydrogen and oxygen in the engine, is going to be robbed by the alternator as it generates enough energy, to separate the water prior to it going in the engine, and assuming a perfect world, a net gain of zero, but in reality, a loss, as an alternator is not 100% efficient, voltage loss from the resistance of the copper wires, etc...

batteries? Ok. sure. but they add weight...and when do they get recharged? at night? alright. what is your local power plant burning to make that electricity that charges the batteries at night?

see my point? I'm skeptical that this will work! sorry.

sure, your buddy might be able to use a system like this, use batteries as his electrical power source to separate the water, and then burn it in his internal combustion engine and his car will use less liquid gasoline, giving the illusion of better efficiency. when in reality...there is no net gain unless the electricity is coming from a "green" power plant like wind turbines, solar, etc. and in which case, you might as well ditch the whole internal combustion engine idea, and go all electric with that green energy.

I looked into this a bit a year or so ago and every one I was scoping was complete BS. Now, it's going to take some serious evidence to convince me otherwise. There was a moron on this site a couple of years ago touting acetone as some kind of energy releaser. That is also complete BS. Mythbusters did shows on both of these gimmicks and busted them both.

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: BobR] #557192
12/19/09 04:26 AM
12/19/09 04:26 AM
Texas Afghanistan Iraq etc.
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Acetone?? Ha!! Just another form of liquid fuel!!

My only question is?? Is the system really separating the Water into Hydrogen and Oxygen???

Reason I ask is I have been trained on the Hazards of Pure Oxygen and Pure Hydrogen and minute quantities of either packs a BIG Punch!!

Worked around liquid Oxygen in the Navy and less than 10oz mixed with any quantity of petroleum product can level a building.

Also worked at an Aluminum Recycling plant and they restricted any kind of containers for liquids except paper and Styrofoam cups.

They showed a video of the result of a glass water bottle that got dropped off into a Furnace of molten aluminum. A 16oz glass bottle of water fell into a furnace, the water separated into it's 2 pure elements (Hydrogen and Oxygen) from the extreme heat, and when it ignited, leveled a 10,000sq/ft factory killing 40+ people.

Hydrogen and Oxygen pack a Helluva Punch!!

2 words Hiroshima, Nagasaki. 1 of those was an H-Bomb?!

This is also the hurdle that the Major MFGs have been trying to figure out. How to have a Hydrogen powered car that isn't a Rolling H-Bomb and a refueling facility that isn't just as dangerous.

The concept isn't much different than using Nitrous. N2O when injected into the intake is just that N2O. When the extreme pressure and Temps of the combustion chamber hit it. It separates back into it's 2 main elements. Oxygen and Nitrogen. In this case Nitrogen is not a fuel and doesn't ignite, it is just used to stabilize the oxygen until it is needed.

Too bad for us the Temps and Pressures you would need to make this same thing happen with water are so high your engine would melt down before the process happened. Even if you built an engine to hold together to that point the intensity of the Hydrogen/Oxygen ignition would be so violent your engine would be shattered into pieces. Probably you too?

I've seen and heard the result form many that have tried it. From my view it looks like it may be nothing but a Water Vapor injection system??? Not much off from the Methanol/Water injection systems that many use to to cool boost charges.

Those have been proven more than a few times to do the same thing even with straight water in them and on N/A engines. Inject the H20 into the intake as a Mist, it cools the Intake Charge, Boosts compression,(liquids do not compress) reduces detonation potential, and steam cleans the combustion chamber.

It has been proven to pick up a few Ponies and better the Fuel Mileage a bit as well.

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: 70Cuda383] #557193
12/19/09 04:42 AM
12/19/09 04:42 AM
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

yes that may be all true!!
But you miss the Energy Potential of each fuel!!

Oxygen and Hydrogen pack a lot of energy potential in a small quantity.

As far as robbing energy from the alternator? What do you think it is doing the whole time the engine is running??? It is sitting there spinning whether you tap into it and use the electricity potential or not, it will set there spinning. It doesn't disconnect and take a break. Far as I see it letting it spin and not using it is more of a waist!!

Yes I have hear Alternators cause an engine to load up. And in each instance it is because the alternator was being overloaded itself. (Usually after a Dead battery, or external accessory was plugged in) Use the right size and you have no worries.

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: DakFink] #557194
12/19/09 05:05 AM
12/19/09 05:05 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Trust me...at best, this is a net gain of zero. if this was the magic solution and 50 watts of electricity was capable of separating enough water into hydrogen and oxygen to burn and THEN produce 100 watts worth of energy...the worlds energy problems would be solved, we would be rid of burning fossil fuels, if it was NOT a net gain of zero, then why can't this system function as a stand alone system?

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: hydrogen injection [Re: 70Cuda383] #557195
12/19/09 05:23 AM
12/19/09 05:23 AM
aotearoa
rebel Offline OP
master
rebel  Offline OP
master

aotearoa
guess i'm going to have to wait & see huh? he did show me the dyno results of the 10 cars & i do know where the dyno shop used is so it's not fictious info he showed me & his 1800cc bmw went like the clappers around the counrty roads i live in. i drive a 2 year old 3l turbo everyday but this 15 year bmw would give a a real run for my money if i was to take it on. he said he paid big time to do the tests & have a legal rep to sign off his paperwork so i guess he's confident he has a winning combination. time will tell.

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: DakFink] #557196
12/19/09 01:49 PM
12/19/09 01:49 PM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
the water separated into it's 2 pure elements (Hydrogen and Oxygen) from the extreme heat

That was a steam explosion.
The total energy content of 16 oz. of water is a tiny, tiny fraction of 16 oz. of gasoline.

Boffin Emeritus
Re: hydrogen injection [Re: DakFink] #557197
12/19/09 01:56 PM
12/19/09 01:56 PM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
Oxygen and Hydrogen pack a lot of energy potential in a small quantity.

Oxygen doesn't pack any energy, and hydrogen has far fewer BTU per gallon or gram than gasoline.

The power used by an alternator is very low if the battery is fully charged and there is no electrical drag (lights, ignition) - only the bearings and belt friction. If there's no demand, the parts just free-wheel.
Once any electrical demand is placed on it, the mechanical power taken from the engine to drive the alternator via the belt is, has been, will always be higher than than the current produced in Khw, Hp, whatever, because of parasitic drag, line loss, inductance, etc.

Boffin Emeritus
Re: hydrogen injection [Re: polyspheric] #557198
12/19/09 02:04 PM
Dirty South, MS
mopowered Offline
mopar
mopowered  Offline
mopar

Dirty South, MS
I'm no expert on the subject by any means but I understand that it's not about comparing gasoline to hydrogen (why wasn't Hiroshima a gasoline bomb?) but instead more about what the addition of Hydrogen into the combustion chamber environment does for combustion efficiency. It doesn't take much for big things to happen...

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: rebel] #557199
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
The problem with the test is possible false causation: attributing the evident results to the factor that you chose, rather than all the things that changed.

There are too many changes to an engine with another substance introduced into the mix, where adding BTU is only a small part, including how well the gasses mix, how much heat they absorb, how fast they burn, how much spark they need, how lean the mixture can be.

Most positive tests turn out to be just adding air, and the leaner mixture is closer to accurate (wasn't good before).

However: a really smart guy (Ricardo) used hydrogen to improve the knock and volatility properties of a much cheaper fuel 90 years ago for a zeppellin engine, so we know it can do good things besides simply add energy - but is this one of them?

Boffin Emeritus
Re: hydrogen injection [Re: polyspheric] #557200
12/19/09 02:12 PM
12/19/09 02:12 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Quote:

The power used by an alternator is very low if the battery is fully charged and there is no electrical drag (lights, ignition) - only the bearings and belt friction. If there's no demand, the parts just free-wheel.
Once any electrical demand is placed on it, the mechanical power taken from the engine to drive the alternator via the belt is, has been, will always be higher than than the current produced in Khw, Hp, whatever, because of parasitic drag, line loss, inductance, etc.

exactly. that's why this system is a net gain of zero

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: hydrogen injection [Re: DakFink] #557201
12/19/09 03:13 PM
12/19/09 03:13 PM
Los Angeles
M
meangreen318 Offline
meangreen318  Offline
M

Los Angeles
Quote:

Acetone?? Ha!! Just another form of liquid fuel!!

My only question is?? Is the system really separating the Water into Hydrogen and Oxygen???

Reason I ask is I have been trained on the Hazards of Pure Oxygen and Pure Hydrogen and minute quantities of either packs a BIG Punch!!

Worked around liquid Oxygen in the Navy and less than 10oz mixed with any quantity of petroleum product can level a building.

Also worked at an Aluminum Recycling plant and they restricted any kind of containers for liquids except paper and Styrofoam cups.

They showed a video of the result of a glass water bottle that got dropped off into a Furnace of molten aluminum. A 16oz glass bottle of water fell into a furnace, the water separated into it's 2 pure elements (Hydrogen and Oxygen) from the extreme heat, and when it ignited, leveled a 10,000sq/ft factory killing 40+ people.

Hydrogen and Oxygen pack a Helluva Punch!!

2 words Hiroshima, Nagasaki. 1 of those was an H-Bomb?!

This is also the hurdle that the Major MFGs have been trying to figure out. How to have a Hydrogen powered car that isn't a Rolling H-Bomb and a refueling facility that isn't just as dangerous.

The concept isn't much different than using Nitrous. N2O when injected into the intake is just that N2O. When the extreme pressure and Temps of the combustion chamber hit it. It separates back into it's 2 main elements. Oxygen and Nitrogen. In this case Nitrogen is not a fuel and doesn't ignite, it is just used to stabilize the oxygen until it is needed.

Too bad for us the Temps and Pressures you would need to make this same thing happen with water are so high your engine would melt down before the process happened. Even if you built an engine to hold together to that point the intensity of the Hydrogen/Oxygen ignition would be so violent your engine would be shattered into pieces. Probably you too?

I've seen and heard the result form many that have tried it. From my view it looks like it may be nothing but a Water Vapor injection system??? Not much off from the Methanol/Water injection systems that many use to to cool boost charges.

Those have been proven more than a few times to do the same thing even with straight water in them and on N/A engines. Inject the H20 into the intake as a Mist, it cools the Intake Charge, Boosts compression,(liquids do not compress) reduces detonation potential, and steam cleans the combustion chamber.

It has been proven to pick up a few Ponies and better the Fuel Mileage a bit as well.

Aluminum melts at 600C while water doesn't thermally decompose until well above 1500C. In order for that to happen they must have been boiling the Al

WRT the device for mileage, electrolysis of water produces gaseous H2 and O2...And there is a big difference between liquid O2/H2 and the gaseous forms. The gaseous forms are fairly safe to work with. But liquid is a whole other story.. One of my co workers accidently collected around 1 drop of liquid O2 ... ended up losing a chunk of his ear from the explosion

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: mopowered] #557202
12/19/09 03:34 PM
12/19/09 03:34 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

I'm no expert on the subject by any means but I understand that it's not about comparing gasoline to hydrogen (why wasn't Hiroshima a gasoline bomb?) but instead more about what the addition of Hydrogen into the combustion chamber environment does for combustion efficiency. It doesn't take much for big things to happen...

You are comparing apples to raisins.
The hydrogen bomb involves atom fusion and a chain reaction not the rapid oxidation of the fuel. Here's more.

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/history/A0824719.html

Re: hydrogen injection [Re: meangreen318] #557203
12/19/09 03:47 PM
12/19/09 03:47 PM
PA
moparacer Offline
master
moparacer  Offline
master

PA
I laughed at a guy at my shop awhile back who had one of those home brewed "systems" on his car.

Claimed it was giving him 3 to 4 more mpg.

If you seen the humongous vacuum leak he had that was sucking in all this hydrogen you would realize that's why he was getting better MPG. It was lean as heck.

He didnt realize it but he invented a car that run on air!

LMAO

67 Barracuda street/bracket car 11.27-119
68 Dart 502 BB 8.70s-152
414 cid SB Dragster 7.65-174
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4