12/18/09 11:04 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Mike you mean the tag weight can't be change from factory specs ?

Fred, I'm assuming when you mean TAG weight that you
are referring to the plate on the truck.... we dont
have a weight on our plates in Mich UNLESS its commercial,
a private pick up uses a regular plate here.... our
trailers have a permanent plate that just says trailer
with the plate number..... again no weight

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: MR_P_BODY] #547593
12/18/09 11:56 AM
12/18/09 11:56 AM
s e mich
ro23car Offline
super stock
ro23car  Offline
super stock

s e mich
Quote:

Quote:

Mike you mean the tag weight can't be change from factory specs ?

Fred, I'm assuming when you mean TAG weight that you
are referring to the plate on the truck.... we dont
have a weight on our plates in Mich UNLESS its commercial,
a private pick up uses a regular plate here.... our
trailers have a permanent plate that just says trailer
with the plate number..... again no weight

thats true butmich looks for dually's and will ticket them for weight and or other things such as not properly plated.down here in monroe and up on 94 before you get to marysville the dot cops are rough.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: MR_P_BODY] #547594
12/18/09 12:05 PM
12/18/09 12:05 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Don't let your self be lured into a false sence of security because you stay in your own back yard.Up until 3 years ago I never had my trailers state inspected,the fine was so small and usually they never checked.With the economy in dire straits most all local and state enforsment have looked for a multitude of areas to generate revenue.Most of these laws have been on the books but we never enforced.After the two accidents resulting in multipal fatalities the state took a hard look at any thing being towed for the safty concerns.The politicans (Rendal) jumped at the oppertunity to grab money as well as the local enitites.The increase in revenues can be counted in the millions as most people rushed to comply.As the flock of sheep rushed to slaughter,I learned that if you don't tilt your head back and expose your neck to the knife,you can survive.The construction co. has taken to issue any and all tickets and if you produce anything such as the Tow Behind Act of 1977 or any documents that contradicts the violation,usually the enforcment officer and local judge will succumb to thier ignorance and let you off. Fighting the battles one at a time,waiting for the revolution.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: B G Racing] #547595
12/18/09 12:23 PM
12/18/09 12:23 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Don't let your self be lured into a false sence of security because you stay in your own back yard.

Bob I usually travel to Ohio, Indiana, Mich and Canada
to race and never been bothered by them so you can
see I dont stay in my "back yard"..... I understand
what you are saying about revenues

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: Outlaw10_5] #547596
12/18/09 12:34 PM
12/18/09 12:34 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

For those of us in FL, I spoke to Lt Morris at the Tallahasee DOT field office today, as well as Debra at the DOT CDL help desk. I now have both their numbers in my ongoing and growing glove box file, lol.

Both of them agreed that as long as this is a hobby, there is no CDL or DOT number needed, and there is no need to stop at a weight station. You are required to stop at the ag station leaving or entering the state. Their definition of it being a hobby is that I do this occasionally for fun and it is not run as a business with deductions for expense. They were both aware of the possibility of prize money.

Debra is actually a racer and laughed at the possibility of me showing a profit like a business would and should.

They both flat out said that my vehicle is an RV, and not subject to DOT CMV compliance.

The conversation was based off of my truck and trailer, a 2005 Dodge dually and a 48' Pace with living quarters. My GVW is 12,200tk and 18,500tr for a CGVW of 30,700. My trailer is not lettered and it is tagged as a trailer, not an RV. Both trailer and truck are registered to me and not a business.

I mentioned awhile back about Fla not following the letter of the law (meaning Fed DOT) and expected to get slammed and did. I think if you read what the Fla DOT guy said, and what the FED DOt guy said, someone is not following the letter of the law, And none of them know it well anyway, nor sounds like they care (for instance, I can't believe the FED Dot Guy isn't aware of the uproar on this topic), and the states are constantly moving towards a federal understanding of the rules, so the often quoted state exemptions are nice and currently on the books and real, but I would guess they will constantly change the defintions (rather then the laws, ie what exactly is an RV anyway?, and I mentioned a couple of years back I would install a frig, a mattress, a chemical toilet and a bucket of soap and water in the back of a straight truck, call it an RV,and a fellow moparts leo said he would cite me and haul me off ) until they get whatever it is they want or make a nationwide standard ( since nothing jives, and I saw a $387,000 very nice "RV" at the recent PRI show that had a low mount 5th wheel for a monstrous trailer, asked the salesman, what that did to the RV vs CMV requirements, he gave me the typical "dog look" )which will only be stricter, not looser.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: jcc] #547597
12/18/09 05:08 PM
12/18/09 05:08 PM
Fort Pierce, FL
O
Outlaw10_5 Offline
super stock
Outlaw10_5  Offline
super stock
O

Fort Pierce, FL
[quote ie what exactly is an RV anyway?, and I mentioned a couple of years back I would install a frig, a mattress, a chemical toilet and a bucket of soap and water in the back of a straight truck, call it an RV,and a fellow moparts leo said he would cite me and haul me off ) until they get whatever it is they want or make a nationwide standard ( since nothing jives, and I saw a $387,000 very nice "RV" at the recent PRI show that had a low mount 5th wheel for a monstrous trailer, asked the salesman, what that did to the RV vs CMV requirements, he gave me the typical "dog look" )which will only be stricter, not looser.

I assume you are from FL, so here you go...
CDL exemptions...
statute 322.53 (e) say that drivers who operate straight trucks, as defined in s316.003, that are exclusively transporting their own tangable personal property which is not for sale
S316.003(70) defines a straight truck as - any truck on which the cargo unit and the motive power unit are located on the same frame so as to form a single, rigid unit.

So, what exactly is he hauling you away for?

What statute?

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: Outlaw10_5] #547598
12/18/09 05:11 PM
12/18/09 05:11 PM
Fort Pierce, FL
O
Outlaw10_5 Offline
super stock
Outlaw10_5  Offline
super stock
O

Fort Pierce, FL
And since you asked...

(b) A recreational vehicle-type unit primarily designed as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use, which either has its own motive power or is mounted on or drawn by another vehicle. Recreational vehicle-type units, when traveling on the public roadways of this state, must comply with the length and width provisions of s. 316.515, as that section may hereafter be amended. As defined below, the basic entities are:

1. The "travel trailer," which is a vehicular portable unit, mounted on wheels, of such a size or weight as not to require special highway movement permits when drawn by a motorized vehicle. It is primarily designed and constructed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use. It has a body width of no more than 81/2 feet and an overall body length of no more than 40 feet when factory-equipped for the road.

2. The "camping trailer," which is a vehicular portable unit mounted on wheels and constructed with collapsible partial sidewalls which fold for towing by another vehicle and unfold at the campsite to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use.

3. The "truck camper," which is a truck equipped with a portable unit designed to be loaded onto, or affixed to, the bed or chassis of the truck and constructed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use.

4. The "motor home," which is a vehicular unit which does not exceed the length, height, and width limitations provided in s. 316.515, is a self-propelled motor vehicle, and is primarily designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use.

5. The "private motor coach," which is a vehicular unit which does not exceed the length, width, and height limitations provided in s. 316.515(9), is built on a self-propelled bus type chassis having no fewer than three load-bearing axles, and is primarily designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use.

6. The "van conversion," which is a vehicular unit which does not exceed the length and width limitations provided in s. 316.515, is built on a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis, and is designed for recreation, camping, and travel use.

7. The "park trailer," which is a transportable unit which has a body width not exceeding 14 feet and which is built on a single chassis and is designed to provide seasonal or temporary living quarters when connected to utilities necessary for operation of installed fixtures and appliances. The total area of the unit in a setup mode, when measured from the exterior surface of the exterior stud walls at the level of maximum dimensions, not including any bay window, does not exceed 400 square feet when constructed to ANSI A-119.5 standards, and 500 square feet when constructed to United States Department of Housing and Urban Development Standards. The length of a park trailer means the distance from the exterior of the front of the body (nearest to the drawbar and coupling mechanism) to the exterior of the rear of the body (at the opposite end of the body), including any protrusions.

8. The "fifth-wheel trailer," which is a vehicular unit mounted on wheels, designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use, of such size or weight as not to require a special highway movement permit, of gross trailer area not to exceed 400 square feet in the setup mode, and designed to be towed by a motorized vehicle that contains a towing mechanism that is mounted above or forward of the tow vehicle's rear axle.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: Outlaw10_5] #547599
12/19/09 10:20 PM
12/19/09 10:20 PM
VA
69 Road Runner Offline
master
69 Road Runner  Offline
master

VA
There are reciprocity laws that apply to some of this. As my brother mentioned, I have a motorhome with a 32,000 GVWR and 42,000 GCWR. It has air brakes.

In Virginia, you do not need any special license for any RV. None are even available. You can get a CDL, but the "C" is for commercial and RVs aren't commercial (unless you're paid to drive/deliver the RV).

Some states will require a Class A, B, C etc. non-CDL based on the weight rating of the RV.

It is impossible for me to get that type of license as a Virginia resident.

69 Road Runner Vert
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: jcc] #547600
12/20/09 12:46 AM
12/20/09 12:46 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
I heard today the NJ Senator Frank Lautenberg bill to phase in costly full time CMV trip recorders was withdrawn in his committee with no vote. I suspect it will return. Why is it a Senator from one of the smallest states has so much power over so many other larger state highway systems? Hey, NJ, throw that guy out please.

Quote:

EOBRs and REAL TIME TRACKING OF TRUCKERS

SENATOR BILL NELSON, one of your lawmakers in the U.S. Senate, serves on the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation committee. On Thursday morning (12/17) the Commerce committee will be voting on S.554, the “Motor Coach Enhanced Safety Act.”

Senator Frank Lautenberg (NJ) plans to offer an amendment to S.554 that will require all trucks to have Electronic Onboard Recorders (EOBRs) installed and will require “real time tracking” of drivers and vehicles.

While we believe Senator Lautenberg has noble intentions, the amendment will not bring the safety benefits that he envisions and will actually create numerous problems. His amendment will be costly, especially for small business, and it brings up numerous privacy concerns for America’s truckers.

Please call and/or fax Senator Nelson TODAY and tell him to “vote ‘No’ on the Lautenberg amendment to S.554.”

----------------------

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Post deleted by Defbob [Re: jcc] #547601
12/20/09 01:02 AM
12/20/09 01:02 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again #547602
12/20/09 01:18 AM
12/20/09 01:18 AM
Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
GTSDave Offline
master
GTSDave  Offline
master

Richmond, Tx. (Houston)

-Dave

Last edited by GTSDave; 12/20/09 11:29 AM.
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again #547603
12/20/09 08:03 AM
12/20/09 08:03 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
I'll give you a big amen first, but that last comment will likely kill your IMO important and imformative thread. Consider a little edit?

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again #547604
12/20/09 09:14 AM
12/20/09 09:14 AM
BX, CT, FL.
B
B1KILLER Offline
pro stock
B1KILLER  Offline
pro stock
B

BX, CT, FL.
Quote:

Ole Frank belongs on the hit list
Quote:

2010 - DO NOT FORGET

Your U.S. House & Senate have voted themselves $4,700 and $5,300 raises.
1. They voted to not give you a S.S. cost of living raise in 2010 and 2011.
2. Your Medicare premiums will go up $285.60 for the 2-years and
you will not get the 3% COLA: $660/yr. Your total 2-yr loss and cost is
-$1,600 or -$3,200 for husband and wife.
3. Over 2-yrs they each get $10,000
4. Do you feel SCREWED?
5. Will they have your cost of drugs - doctor fees - local taxes - food, etc., increase?
NO WAY . They have a raise and better benefits. Why care about you? You never did anything about it in the past. You obviously are too stupid or don't care.
6. Do you really think that Nancy, Harry, Chris, Charlie, Barnie, et al, care about you? SEND THE MESSAGE-- You're FIRED.
IN 2010 YOU WILL HAVE A CHANCE TO GET RID OF THE SITTING CONGRESS:
Up to 1/3 OF THE SENATE, AND 100% OF THE HOUSE.
MAKE SURE YOU'RE STILL MAD IN NOVEMBER 2010 AND REMIND THEIR REPLACEMENTS NOT TO SCREW UP.
It is ok to forward this to your sphere of influence if you are finally tired of the abuse

If you don't vote, you have no right to complain,
cut away @ the fat

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: B1KILLER] #547605
12/20/09 10:22 AM
12/20/09 10:22 AM
s e mich
ro23car Offline
super stock
ro23car  Offline
super stock

s e mich
Quote:

Quote:

Ole Frank belongs on the hit list
Quote:

2010 - DO NOT FORGET

Your U.S. House & Senate have voted themselves $4,700 and $5,300 raises.
1. They voted to not give you a S.S. cost of living raise in 2010 and 2011.
2. Your Medicare premiums will go up $285.60 for the 2-years and
you will not get the 3% COLA: $660/yr. Your total 2-yr loss and cost is
-$1,600 or -$3,200 for husband and wife.
3. Over 2-yrs they each get $10,000
4. Do you feel SCREWED?
5. Will they have your cost of drugs - doctor fees - local taxes - food, etc., increase?
NO WAY . They have a raise and better benefits. Why care about you? You never did anything about it in the past. You obviously are too stupid or don't care.
6. Do you really think that Nancy, Harry, Chris, Charlie, Barnie, et al, care about you? SEND THE MESSAGE-- You're FIRED.
IN 2010 YOU WILL HAVE A CHANCE TO GET RID OF THE SITTING CONGRESS:
Up to 1/3 OF THE SENATE, AND 100% OF THE HOUSE.
MAKE SURE YOU'RE STILL MAD IN NOVEMBER 2010 AND REMIND THEIR REPLACEMENTS NOT TO SCREW UP.
It is ok to forward this to your sphere of influence if you are finally tired of the abuse

If you don't vote, you have no right to complain,
cut away @ the fat

everyone has a right to complain. its called freedom of speech

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: ro23car] #547606
12/20/09 11:18 AM
12/20/09 11:18 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Lets TRY to stay away from the political aspect guys
thank you

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: Outlaw10_5] #547607
12/20/09 05:19 PM
12/20/09 05:19 PM
Kissimmee, Florida
aarlucas Offline
top fuel
aarlucas  Offline
top fuel

Kissimmee, Florida
Quote:

In Florida, as long as it's a private truck and not a cab/chassis, that is correct. There is not a weight pull limit on a pickup truck license plate, only a GVW.

That's interesting. I live in Kissimmee and they told me I have to register the truck and the trailer combined weight together on my truck tag. So my truck is registered as a combined GVW of 19,999. That is for my truck a 2005 Ram 3500 DRW and a 24' enclosed trailer. If you could tell me where to find the info you have showing other wise it would sure lower my registration fees a lot!

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: aarlucas] #547608
12/20/09 06:40 PM
12/20/09 06:40 PM
Kissimmee Fl.
D
dusturbd340W5 Offline
master
dusturbd340W5  Offline
master
D

Kissimmee Fl.
Quote:

Quote:

In Florida, as long as it's a private truck and not a cab/chassis, that is correct. There is not a weight pull limit on a pickup truck license plate, only a GVW.

That's interesting. I live in Kissimmee and they told me I have to register the truck and the trailer combined weight together on my truck tag. So my truck is registered as a combined GVW of 19,999. That is for my truck a 2005 Ram 3500 DRW and a 24' enclosed trailer. If you could tell me where to find the info you have showing other wise it would sure lower my registration fees a lot!

see here is the problem you get a different answer from every one you speak to I was told from the tag office that the tag only had include the weight of the truck and cargo in it and in the bed not a trailer that is hooked to the bumper but I have mine tagged at 26000 because I also have a 5th wheel RV.

70 duster full chassis super pro 416 CNC Indybrock heads 727 w/brake

best so far 1.212 60 6.219 in 1/8 at 110.88 9.768 at 137.81 1/4
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: dusturbd340W5] #547609
12/21/09 10:57 AM
12/21/09 10:57 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Do not confuse your states DMV rules with that of the DOT.You have to conform to DOT which is Federal.I would think that the feds overrule the state.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again #547610
12/21/09 11:36 AM
12/21/09 11:36 AM
s e mich
ro23car Offline
super stock
ro23car  Offline
super stock

s e mich
you have to conform to both state and fed regulations.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: aarlucas] #547611
12/21/09 12:03 PM
12/21/09 12:03 PM
Florida
Locomotion Offline
master
Locomotion  Offline
master

Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Same thing here in Daytona. I was told to tag for combined weight of truck and trailer. Trailer tag is based on registered manufactured weight. So I also got one for 19,999. It's "private", but it falls into the truck category that has its registration renewal in December instead of your birthday.

For reference: 2004.4 diesel dually, 60 gal. aux tank (full), topper w/load of tires, parts & tools, 26' Pace trailer w/dual 6,000 axles, cabinets, 3,360 lb race car, spare trans, rear & fuel. Came in at between 19 & 20 with the weight split pretty close when I weighed at a truck stop a few years ago.

I just realized....Is that double-taxation? Trailer is tagged for manufactured weight, then truck is tagged for overall total weight INCLUDING the trailer!

Last edited by Locomotion; 12/21/09 12:09 PM.
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10