Kentucky
E
ewolfe Offline OP
enthusiast
ewolfe  Offline OP
enthusiast
E

Kentucky
Here goes...I posted once before about this and thought I had it licked...I didn't. I have a 72 340 with a 10.5 flywheel and a QuickTime blowproof bellhousing and a good old A833 with a pistol grip. Initially, the bracket for the clutch fork wasn't bent enough to allow the fork to stay on the t/o bearing. Fixed that but now the car seems to sometimes idle fine when the clutch is depressed...and some times it will lag on the engine and bring it down to almost stall. Once I relese the clutch, the idle will return.
The car runs like a raped ape, STRONG, and idles well at 900rps with @ 7" vacuum with the ProMaxed six pack.
I have noticed a what appears to be a rear main leak...I'm nervous about this. The engine has less than 200 miles since it's rebuild.

I must admit I did NOT dial in the bellhousing when I installed it. I simply sat it up there and bolted it all up, everything went together smoothly.

Any thoughts on what is going on? I took it for a ride today and on some intersections, the car would idle at 900 with the clutch depressed and at other, it would drag and almost stall. I don't know where to turn.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks

Re: I need help...clutch causing idle issues?? [Re: ewolfe] #520695
11/09/09 05:02 PM
11/09/09 05:02 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I am not a clutch/stick guy at all but I'd put a helper in the drivers seat to play w the clutch while you underneath until he can make it stick again. R&R the pan & see what you see at the rear seal

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: I need help...clutch causing idle issues?? [Re: ewolfe] #520696
11/09/09 05:53 PM
11/09/09 05:53 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass

I must admit I did NOT dial in the bellhousing when I installed it. I simply sat it up there and bolted it all up, everything went together smoothly.

I would start here, anytime you install manual transmissions, factory pcs or aftermarket, the input shaft needs to be centered as much as possible with the crank centerline, for the shaft to NOT bind in the pilot bearing, this would explain IMHO the clutch bogging down your motor in neutral,...and possibly your rear main seal leak, you may also be damageing your rear main bearing and/or crank journal, and or fatiqueing the input shaft bearing on the tranny,....dial in the bell,...with nomore than .005 runout

Mike

Re: I need help...clutch causing idle issues?? [Re: DAYCLONA] #520697
08/06/10 07:08 PM
08/06/10 07:08 PM
Kentucky
E
ewolfe Offline OP
enthusiast
ewolfe  Offline OP
enthusiast
E

Kentucky
Hey Mike, thanks for the input. I was catching up on my posts and noticed I didn't respond to you advise. It was absolutely correct. The bellhousing was off .015" so I indexed it with some offset dowels and I'm in business. All is well now...HUGE difference.

Thank you again!