Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 38 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 37 38
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506357
07/23/10 01:12 AM
07/23/10 01:12 AM
Staten Island, NY
T
Theorio1025 Offline
Theorio1025  Offline
T

Staten Island, NY
They almost cried when I told the that the longblock is stock, the carb hasn't really been tuned yet, and I was running on lt tires. Both had at least 5 grand in engine work and one was running a turbo( sr20 powered nissan 240sx). The turbo one was supposed to be running 13's, but he ran within a car and a half of a car I know runs 15.4.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Theorio1025] #506358
07/23/10 04:19 AM
07/23/10 04:19 AM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Quote:

I have to say you guys are lucky to have been around back then. I was down at south ave. a few weeks ago to watch some people run. I was the only muscle car there, along with two hondas and two nissans. I decided to run and the two "built" cars lost by a few car lengths, and the other two wouldn't run me. Would have been nice to run another old car.

You have to remember the era---it wasn't all fun & games. Our cars were just our transportation for the most part & alot of guys spent almost every dime they had on their ride ( I guess that hasn't changed much) but the technology & access to good parts & guys that really knew how to put 'em together wasn't as easy to come by as it is today. Plus you had the threat of being drafted or hoping for a student deferment, among other social problems. These were just literally escape vehicles so we could have a little fun & forget about this kinda crap. A few years ago some guy wrote an article with pics about NYC streetracing & I thought it was all pretty accurate although he I'm sure he has some pics somewhere of the real "pros" of streetracing.
But on a happier note--there WERE ALOT more speed shops around & they were always a good place to hang out & get the latest rumors/info on some of the better set-ups, hang-outs & pending high-dollar races.....

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506359
07/23/10 07:59 AM
07/23/10 07:59 AM
boston mass-moving to long isl...
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

Quote:

Import's are gaining popularity rapidly! Isn't
like the old days!! New era coming in!

they sure are...and some of em are real quick...

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506360
07/23/10 09:23 AM
07/23/10 09:23 AM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

I used to hang at Manhattan Speed with the old gangsters there that were into DOHC Fords and Fat chevies. Joe was a big Blue Oval man. Real cool and nice guy.
I loved the old grunt man that was always grumpy but knew a lot of stuff as well, I can't remember his name.
Now I hang very little at S&K Speed in Rockville center because it is busy in a new way and not that kind of place where you could bench race all day.

I respect their knowledge and ability to sell because of that same reason, knowledge.

They are very good at parts and parts in stock. Probably one of the best Speed shops in the nations East Coast.
Street action rumors run crazy there.

By the way, Fountain Ave wrote out its own death nail by virtue of the idiots that came to over run it.
That is why I stopped Arm dropping there after a few good years.
A lot of deadly accidents reflecting the pier at Columbia St.
Some peoples brains are not as advanced as the cams their cars lope to.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506361
07/23/10 09:53 AM
07/23/10 09:53 AM
Darwin, Australia
Billo Offline
Billo  Offline

Darwin, Australia
I love these stories. Well done Gramps & all contributors. I've read the thread from front to back & wished I was there!

(Aussie story)

I had a mild 351 cleveland in an XB falcon & had a run out on the backroads in Virginia SA when I was 18 & new zero (unless it came to the quality of [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] & azz) against a 6cyl hemi charger. I thought I had him easy. Not! He pumped me in the quarter. It wasn't untill the age of the internet, or me being bothered to research the facts that I saw they ran a 14 second pass factory.
I was converted to Mopar on the spot.
Thanks again for the stories & have fun.

Cheers, Bill
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Billo] #506362
07/23/10 10:45 AM
07/23/10 10:45 AM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

I love these stories. Well done Gramps & all contributors. I've read the thread from front to back & wished I was there!

(Aussie story)

I had a mild 351 cleveland in an XB falcon & had a run out on the backroads in Virginia SA when I was 18 & new zero (unless it came to the quality of [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] & azz) against a 6cyl hemi charger. I thought I had him easy. Not! He pumped me in the quarter. It wasn't untill the age of the internet, or me being bothered to research the facts that I saw they ran a 14 second pass factory.
I was converted to Mopar on the spot.
Thanks again for the stories & have fun.

Got a LOT of respect for those XB Falcons. They are sought after here in the U.S., since the day
those flicks "Mad Max" and the "Road Warrior" hit
the silver screen here in the U.S. Built right, those "Clevelands" are VERY hard to beat!! XB's
ARE NO JOKE modified!!

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506363
07/23/10 10:51 AM
07/23/10 10:51 AM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

I used to hang at Manhattan Speed with the old gangsters there that were into DOHC Fords and Fat chevies. Joe was a big Blue Oval man. Real cool and nice guy.
I loved the old grunt man that was always grumpy but knew a lot of stuff as well, I can't remember his name.
Now I hang very little at S&K Speed in Rockville center because it is busy in a new way and not that kind of place where you could bench race all day.

I respect their knowledge and ability to sell because of that same reason, knowledge.

They are very good at parts and parts in stock. Probably one of the best Speed shops in the nations East Coast.
Street action rumors run crazy there.

By the way, Fountain Ave wrote out its own death nail by virtue of the idiots that came to over run it.
That is why I stopped Arm dropping there after a few good years.
A lot of deadly accidents reflecting the pier at Columbia St.
Some peoples brains are not as advanced as the cams their cars lope to.

with ya!! The Fount was on a slow death
pace after the late 80's. Was the haught for some well-respected street-turned to class (strip) racers in it's EARLY years!! Lee, you got my update?

"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506364
07/24/10 12:38 AM
07/24/10 12:38 AM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
For me, I usually hung out at "Competition Speed" in Jamaica, Queens. The owner, Larry Chin, didn't have a huge inventory but he was real supportive of young guys like me & hadabout 4 or 5 pretty serious streetracers running out of his shop. One of 'em had some weird connection to Pontiac as the guy had 4 or 5 RamAir IV or V engines stuffed in his garage. Larry always helped me out as much as he could & my first "serious" build of an engine came from his shop. Of course there were other shops nearby--- "Charlie's Speed Barn" on the L.I.E. service road or B&R (?) Performance on Francis Lewis Blvd. that seemd to do alot of business.
Anyone remember any of these?

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506365
07/24/10 02:10 AM
07/24/10 02:10 AM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

For me, I usually hung out at "Competition Speed" in Jamaica, Queens. The owner, Larry Chin, didn't have a huge inventory but he was real supportive of young guys like me & hadabout 4 or 5 pretty serious streetracers running out of his shop. One of 'em had some weird connection to Pontiac as the guy had 4 or 5 RamAir IV or V engines stuffed in his garage. Larry always helped me out as much as he could & my first "serious" build of an engine came from his shop. Of course there were other shops nearby--- "Charlie's Speed Barn" on the L.I.E. service road or B&R (?) Performance on Francis Lewis Blvd. that seemd to do alot of business.
Anyone remember any of these?

I often went to S/K (Queens and L.I) to get my
goodies. I do remember B&R, as well as Competition
Speed.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506366
07/24/10 07:48 AM
07/24/10 07:48 AM
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

for us on staten island, it was s.i. speed... and for chassis work, there was a guy with a shop on richmond terr.... his name escapes me for the moment(memory is gone from smelling too much leaded sunoco)...

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: massdaytona] #506367
07/27/10 10:35 PM
07/27/10 10:35 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

for us on staten island, it was s.i. speed... and for chassis work, there was a guy with a shop on richmond terr.... his name escapes me for the moment(memory is gone from smelling too much leaded sunoco)...

Know those fumes all too well..err..was it 98..
99..or..101 oct. Can't remember it clearly!! Nah, maybe it was the smell of burning rubber that did
it for me!!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: massdaytona] #506368
07/28/10 10:12 AM
07/28/10 10:12 AM
New York
R
Red Bird Offline
Red Bird  Offline
R

New York
Quote:

Gotta love those fumes.
We also had New York Speed which is still open on Castleton Ave.
The chassis shop was Straightline Performance. Mikey T was the guy. He then moved a block up past Clove Rd. and the shop was called Tee's Welding.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: massdaytona] #506369
07/28/10 10:16 AM
07/28/10 10:16 AM
murfreesboro, TN
Q
Qbird Offline
mopar
Qbird  Offline
mopar
Q

murfreesboro, TN
Quote:

The place on Richmond Terrace was called Super Stock Automotive. Back around the time I started doing Cars Illustrated and HP Mopar, I had a gas station a few doors down from them.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Billo] #506370
07/28/10 05:57 PM
07/28/10 05:57 PM
Sebring, Florida
M
Mopar Grandpa Offline OP
top fuel
Mopar Grandpa  Offline OP
top fuel
M

Sebring, Florida
Quote:

It was a different time back then, a time when most of us didn't have too many responsibilities but we sure had a lot of fun and ran a lot of pretty fast cars, fast for that day as there wasn't any nitrous or turbos running the streets back then.

When my buddies parents would leave for the evening (they leased a Marathon gas station that had an extremely large lot and we had the Hertz truck and car rental agency there) we'd race the rental cars and trucks across the parking lot just to kill time and see which car was the fastest. I remember driving a '65 or '66 Cobra Mustang, black with the gold stripes, one night and almost didn't get it stopped before running into traffic on the street. The disc brakes on that thing were terrible!

The cool thing is that his parents never caught us but I'm sure they knew about it as there were 2 other gas stations on the same corner and they knew the owners very well.

We even stole parts off the Mopar rentals for our own cars. I AM NOT PROUD of that but I couldn't afford a new set of plugs and plug wires so I found a donor car....it just had a Hertz decal on it.

How bout some more racing stories guys and gals????

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Mopar Grandpa] #506371
07/28/10 07:38 PM
07/28/10 07:38 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.

How bout some more racing stories guys and gals????

Go to "drag racing imagery"--there's a section there for some stories. I posted one there that was perhaps the closest I ever got to being caught streetracing! It's kinda long & I think I posted it here already...

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Red Bird] #506372
07/28/10 11:20 PM
07/28/10 11:20 PM
Watertown, WI
MikeyT Offline
master
Happy Birthday MikeyT  Offline
master

Watertown, WI
Quote:

The chassis shop was Straightline Performance. Mikey T was the guy.

yes, yes I am!!

Mike

1969 Dodge Dart Swinger
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: MikeyT] #506373
07/29/10 02:50 AM
07/29/10 02:50 AM
murfreesboro, TN
Q
Qbird Offline
mopar
Qbird  Offline
mopar
Q

murfreesboro, TN
Mikey T was a friend of mine, but he didn't come along until the later 80's after Super Stock was gone. Mikey was partners with Barry Pitard of NY Speed when he had the place on the Terrace. Barry, BTW is "Bobby" from the Quarter Million Quarter Mile story in Cars Illustrated.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Qbird] #506374
07/29/10 11:06 AM
07/29/10 11:06 AM
New York
R
Red Bird Offline
Red Bird  Offline
R

New York
Quote:

Mikey T was a friend of mine, but he didn't come along until the later 80's after Super Stock was gone. Mikey was partners with Barry Pitard of NY Speed when he had the place on the Terrace. Barry, BTW is "Bobby" from the Quarter Million Quarter Mile story in Cars Illustrated.

Mikey T was also a friend. I probably got to know him around 87. I did not know Barry was his partner at one time. I remember walking into the speed shop for a shift kit and Barry was behind the counter back in 84. I guess Super Stock shop was before my time.
Do you remember sleepr wrote on the wall of T's shop "RULE 468...RACING IS WAR"?
Btw do you remember an 80 maroon trans am which an article was written called "LAST LAUGH"

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Red Bird] #506375
07/29/10 11:31 AM
07/29/10 11:31 AM
Scottsdale A.Z
71cudaddict Offline
mopar
71cudaddict  Offline
mopar

Scottsdale A.Z
I met Mike T in the late 70s when I worked for Mansur machine great guy, loved to talk always looking to help. Hey Red bird give me a call if you take a trip to AZ Frankie Fuu has my #. Rickey

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506376
07/29/10 11:52 AM
07/29/10 11:52 AM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Here's something that kinda runs along this thread...
One night I'm with a friend who had a pretty nice but ordinary '65 GTO. We're over at Connecting Hwy, watching the races & true to form the cops show up. They're busy making everyone leave & shouting at us, opening fire hydrants along the service road so the water will run down & stop everyone from racing.
We start to pile back into his car when one of the cops stops us & begins asking for ID, etc. etc. He starts looking over the car then gets real concerned after looking at the VIN tag. He then pulls my friend aside & starts asking where he got the car, who sold it to him, etc., etc. My friend doesn't know any better so he answers all the questions, being real cooperative & all that.
Next thing we know he starts being accused of having a stolen car . So now we start asking about how the cop knows this, what'll happen to the car & all that. The cop explains it all, even saying we (my friend) should be planning to sue whomever sold him the car, he'll never get the parts back he added onto the car & all that. So he goes back to his patrol car & we wait. After about 30 mins. he tells us we can go.
It seems, according to him, that GM used regular round rivets on VIN tags for about the first half of the model year & then went to the octagonal ones after that. The officer saw the round rivets on my friends VIN tag & thought the tag had been switched causing him to suspect the car was stolen. All this took about an hour & a half and sitting on the service road of Connecting being held by the cops made us all feel like we were going to jail! Fortunately he let us go without so much as a loud muffler ticket.....

Page 21 of 38 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 37 38