Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 38 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 37 38
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506337
07/18/10 09:00 PM
07/18/10 09:00 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Just spent the day today in Cunnnigham park with my ten year old and his new bicycle.
I took him over some bike trails and ended up almost under the Clear view over pass on Union Turnpike where they used to have the staging of the cars running up on the clearview back in the day. Stood there explaining it to him with my words flowing in one ear and coming out the other. Nintendo burned I guess.
Funny how every street in the area is primo smooth and straight and the only things noticed are the roaming unmarked Highway 3 Chargers.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: Dave Watt] #506338
07/20/10 02:07 PM
07/20/10 02:07 PM
Sebring, Florida
M
Mopar Grandpa Offline OP
top fuel
Mopar Grandpa  Offline OP
top fuel
M

Sebring, Florida
Quote:

This isn't from the '60's or '70's since I didn't graduate high school until '85, but I think it fits the thread.
Dave

Yes, it fits the thread just fine. And I thought you have been a Hoosier your entire life. So how many tickets have you received since you bought the car?????? And for those of you that have never seen Dave's car it still looks showroom new...almost.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506339
07/20/10 04:04 PM
07/20/10 04:04 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Quote:

Just spent the day today in Cunnnigham park with my ten year old and his new bicycle.

Wow, Cunningham Park! I spent many a drinking party there after basketball games at Bishop Rielly(St.Francis Prep). I ran another good streetrace right by the school there. First/only time I ever saw a Stage1 Buick beat a Z/28. Afriend had his older brother's car & asked me to ride with him. We were in the Buick & I must say, I was impressed--all that luxury & performance .
AS to thge Gremlin---John probably was trying to reel me in for a money race, but THAT didn't happen. I think him seeing how I caught & passed him made him leery about really pushing it. He may have thought I was running the same game .
I'm building another door car now & hoping to bring it back East when it's done. I'd like to see John again & see firsthand just how well his AMX runs.......

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: Mopar Grandpa] #506340
07/20/10 05:03 PM
07/20/10 05:03 PM
Atlanta Indiana
D
Dave Watt Offline
master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
Quote:

Quote:

This isn't from the '60's or '70's since I didn't graduate high school until '85, but I think it fits the thread.
Dave

Yes, it fits the thread just fine. And I thought you have been a Hoosier your entire life. So how many tickets have you received since you bought the car?????? And for those of you that have never seen Dave's car it still looks showroom new...almost.

Thanks John. I bought it June 1984, 0 tickets to date. I only lived in Huntsville for that summer, the rest of the time I've been a Hoosier.

Last edited by Dave Watt; 07/20/10 05:04 PM.
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506341
07/20/10 05:33 PM
07/20/10 05:33 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

I took him over some bike trails and ended up almost under the Clear view over pass on Union Turnpike where they used to have the staging of the cars running up on the clearview back in the day. Stood there explaining it to him with my words flowing in one ear and coming out the other. Nintendo burned I guess.
Funny how every street in the area is primo smooth and straight and the only things noticed are the roaming unmarked Highway 3 Chargers.

I can just imagine the the memories flowing through your head, Lee!! And you probably smelled the rubber burniing too!! Definitely a GOOD afternoon in Cunningham Park,
(Queens own Central Park!). The icing on the cake would have been if your ten year old son would have ripped a 30' long wheelie on his bike!! But
he'll have his day soon!! Those unmarked Chargers
are pretty sneaky there, since SOME OF the "next generation" import crowd likes to make high speed
passes there, on FLB and the Clearview at certain
times, with no reguards to traffic. A lot of smooth
streets there too. The locals ARE PRETTY TIGHT with the politicians in the area, so that's why they "keep up the neighborhood", hence the better
road surfaces, etc. Primo tax dollars at work, I
guess.

Last edited by HYPER8oSoNic; 07/20/10 05:40 PM.

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506342
07/20/10 10:30 PM
07/20/10 10:30 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

I never saw the racing on the Clear view, but have seen many photos from the haunt.
Now that we are talking street haunts in NYC. I just came upon the idea how some spots died and sprung up in others. I call them the "bleed over" spots. Though some spots may have been operational at the same time, as one of the two died off or became too hot, the other flourished.

As a disclaimer, I could be wrong on my assumptions, but please feel free to argue the point.

Lets see,
150th as we know it today is probably a bleed over from South Conduit Ave and Linden Blvd haunt which than moved over to the just finished portion of the Nassau.
As 150th gave its last performance, the new extension of the Nassau is a bleed over from 150th.

Columbia st. or Red hook on the pier is a bleed over from the First Avenue and 25th St crowd.

In the early 80's, Fountain Ave took in all the refugee crazies from Columbia St. and Kent Ave.

The "Connecting" bled over to Laurel Hill and Laurel hill bled over to the Masbeth Avenue then trickling down over to Review Ave by the other grave yard haunt.

The Gowanus Expway at 86th St. in Bay ridge bled over to 3rd Ave under the El, hence converging with the spill over of the 1st ave crowd. Two crowds in limbo I guess.

Francis Lewis by the high school and the L.I.E is a bleed over from the Clearview/Francis Lew crowd by Union Turnpike.
In the Bronx I think the "Hutch" stands alone and has no relatives.
The Hunts point market strip may be a bleed over from the Sheridan Expway.

The FDR elevated by the South St Seaport is alone and unknown to most. I saw it first hand as a kid in the early 70's.

South Ave on Staten Island is a bleed over from the 440 West shore expway.

The junkyard dogs of Shea stadium and the 21 Hump St. are the bleed overs of the elevated Marina and Grand Central Pkway racers.
My home and mind is a bleed over from all of the above. LOL.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506343
07/21/10 01:37 AM
07/21/10 01:37 AM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
WOW! Sounds like you covered 'most everything & looking at it thyat way it DOES seem logical. Although I know first hand the guys that hung out at the Marina would go to 150, the Van Wyck or Cross Island depending on traffic, the cars & money involved. It wasn't uncommon to lean on a guy to drive his car from the Marina to the Clearview or Cross Island just to insure (in our minds, anyway) that his car was REALLY a street car (yeah, right!) Now guys like myself or John actually lived in the middle of alot of it (I lived near Flushing Hospital, John by 150thSt.)so it didn't really make alot of difference to us. Of course some guys flat-towed (remember the NSW towing hubs?) or trailered their cars but those guys had backers, REAL strong cars, and ran for alot of money. I was just happy to get "play money" out of it all and move on....

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506344
07/21/10 07:40 AM
07/21/10 07:40 AM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

I know I've missed a couple here and there, but for the most part those were the main attractions.

Funny how they all flourished when the City and the people were in its worst fiscal crisis ever. Cars were cheap to set up and or buy and money was relevant to its cost of living, not like today's slave labor force.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506345
07/21/10 08:32 AM
07/21/10 08:32 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator

Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
Quote:

Quote:

Anybody here old enough to have witnessed the million dollar race between the Ronald Lyles crew with their Hemidart against some guys from NJ with a rat motored camaro?

I remember the stakes being in the vicinity of
nearly quarter of a million dollars. And they
raced two or three times. Check my math, on this!!

Isn't that the race that Tony DeFeo wrote about in one of the Mopar mags back in the 80s?

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: not_a_charger] #506346
07/21/10 09:38 AM
07/21/10 09:38 AM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Yes it is the story, but a few facts have just been discovered about certain details. Great on how Tony covered it and explained like a classic camp fire telling where every one is in suspense.

I know two Gents that were there and one of them was part of the Camaro's team. He's a hermit by nature but could build killer combo Chevrolets.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506347
07/21/10 11:35 PM
07/21/10 11:35 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
I remember seeing & hearing the story every now & then. What website is it on?

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506348
07/22/10 10:02 AM
07/22/10 10:02 AM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

The story that Tony D. wrote was for a Street and Strip or Cars magazine back in the 80's I believe.
Tony is a member here and might come out of his lair if we shout loud enough. I forgot his handle title.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506349
07/22/10 11:20 PM
07/22/10 11:20 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

I never saw the racing on the Clear view, but have seen many photos from the haunt.
Now that we are talking street haunts in NYC. I just came upon the idea how some spots died and sprung up in others. I call them the "bleed over" spots. Though some spots may have been operational at the same time, as one of the two died off or became too hot, the other flourished.

As a disclaimer, I could be wrong on my assumptions, but please feel free to argue the point.

Lets see,
150th as we know it today is probably a bleed over from South Conduit Ave and Linden Blvd haunt which than moved over to the just finished portion of the Nassau.
As 150th gave its last performance, the new extension of the Nassau is a bleed over from 150th.

Columbia st. or Red hook on the pier is a bleed over from the First Avenue and 25th St crowd.

In the early 80's, Fountain Ave took in all the refugee crazies from Columbia St. and Kent Ave.

The "Connecting" bled over to Laurel Hill and Laurel hill bled over to the Masbeth Avenue then trickling down over to Review Ave by the other grave yard haunt.

The Gowanus Expway at 86th St. in Bay ridge bled over to 3rd Ave under the El, hence converging with the spill over of the 1st ave crowd. Two crowds in limbo I guess.

Francis Lewis by the high school and the L.I.E is a bleed over from the Clearview/Francis Lew crowd by Union Turnpike.
In the Bronx I think the "Hutch" stands alone and has no relatives.
The Hunts point market strip may be a bleed over from the Sheridan Expway.

The FDR elevated by the South St Seaport is alone and unknown to most. I saw it first hand as a kid in the early 70's.

South Ave on Staten Island is a bleed over from the 440 West shore expway.

The junkyard dogs of Shea stadium and the 21 Hump St. are the bleed overs of the elevated Marina and Grand Central Pkway racers.
My home and mind is a bleed over from all of the above. LOL.

Lee, You are CORRECT!! 100%. You have
just listed HALF of MY MAP!! In College Point
they used to race over on 20 ave, by the old Flushing Airport in the 70's-1980. College Point
Blvd (north of Northern Blvd) in spurts 80's-90's
Might of handled the "spillover" from the Whitestone Expwy during it's REconstruction. If they were BRAVE, some ran the Interboro (now known
as "Jackie Robinson Parkway) westbound into Brooklyn, just past the Vermont St. Exit. At one
time "hyped slalom" imports used to roam the WHOLE stretch of the road into the Grand Central
Parkway/Van Wyck Expwy Junction ("Spaghetti Bowl").Their favorite part was the "Esses", or
commomly known as "Snake Road". This is where they
would put their car OR bike through a series of twisting turns and SHARP right and left-hand turns
bordered by miles of cemeteries. In it's earlier days, (times of the wooden guardrails) these curves used to be ultra sharp and kinda narrow
(speed was 20 mph or less, I think-70's), now the
curves are a lot more roomy and not nearly AS sharp. The speed is about 30-35 mph now and they redid the roadway several times since then and put up "Jersey Barriers" (concrete guardrails 4ft high). The imports and bikes speed through at about 40-50 mph and hit the straight sections at 65-75 mph. Sort of like a piece of a road course!!
Another oldie, but goodie was the "Cross Island
Parkway", particularly the section by Creedmore
Hospital, Hilllside Av to Grand Central Parkway in
early 70's. An alternate site was the Conduit (north)/Laurelton Parkway westbound to just past the LIRR bridge (early to mid 70's)

Last edited by HYPER8oSoNic; 07/22/10 11:34 PM.

"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506350
07/22/10 11:25 PM
07/22/10 11:25 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

WOW! Sounds like you covered 'most everything & looking at it thyat way it DOES seem logical. Although I know first hand the guys that hung out at the Marina would go to 150, the Van Wyck or Cross Island depending on traffic, the cars & money involved. It wasn't uncommon to lean on a guy to drive his car from the Marina to the Clearview or Cross Island just to insure (in our minds, anyway) that his car was REALLY a street car (yeah, right!) Now guys like myself or John actually lived in the middle of alot of it (I lived near Flushing Hospital, John by 150thSt.)so it didn't really make alot of difference to us. Of course some guys flat-towed (remember the NSW towing hubs?) or trailered their cars but those guys had backers, REAL strong cars, and ran for alot of money. I was just happy to get "play money" out of it all and move on....

I was just happy to witness SOME of the HISTORY!!
Thanks to the members/racers who made it possible!!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: Butt Ugly] #506351
07/22/10 11:40 PM
07/22/10 11:40 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

New to the thread but, gotta tell ya!!!!
Brother had a built 304 Gremlim, broke his right arm playing hockey and had me shifting his car while playing with other street racers. Had to decline the real deal because our timing was a little off.

Welcome!! 304's are no-slouches either. In AMC,
torque and power come in many sizes!! You just have to choose the right chassis and refine it!!
Good running cars!!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506352
07/23/10 12:48 AM
07/23/10 12:48 AM
Staten Island, NY
T
Theorio1025 Offline
Theorio1025  Offline
T

Staten Island, NY
I have to say you guys are lucky to have been around back then. I was down at south ave. a few weeks ago to watch some people run. I was the only muscle car there, along with two hondas and two nissans. I decided to run and the two "built" cars lost by a few car lengths, and the other two wouldn't run me. Would have been nice to run another old car.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Theorio1025] #506353
07/23/10 12:51 AM
07/23/10 12:51 AM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Import's are gaining popularity rapidly! Isn't
like the old days!! New era coming in!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506354
07/23/10 12:53 AM
07/23/10 12:53 AM
Staten Island, NY
T
Theorio1025 Offline
Theorio1025  Offline
T

Staten Island, NY
So I've seen. It helps a little bit that the new age saw my taillights as it was coming in tho.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506355
07/23/10 12:54 AM
07/23/10 12:54 AM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Just to put this out there, Fountain Av, I believe
is no more due to a tragedy. Nothing else to say about it!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Theorio1025] #506356
07/23/10 01:00 AM
07/23/10 01:00 AM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

So I've seen. It helps a little bit that the new age saw my taillights as it was coming in tho.

Your taillights are a reminder to them that "old school" is
NEVER SLOW OR BORING!!

Page 20 of 38 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 37 38