demon Offline
super stock
demon  Offline
super stock
D

Canada
Quote:

Quote:

A spot weld cutter is completely un necessary on a roof skin replacement.
Unless you plan to save the removed roof skin there is no need to use a spotweld cutter anywhere on this job.
What you do is remove all parts like the trim,windshield,roof rails etc and then melt out the lead in the joints(or bondo if it was a vinyl roof car). Then use a air chisel CAREFULLY to remove the skin aroun the perimeter without trying to seperate the welds yet- just get the majority removed. Now you have access to all the spotwelds. Use a cut off saw with a thicker zip disc to "erase" the spotwelds. As you get good you will get the feel of it and be able to go just far enough thru the top layer to let the welds pop free. Once you have all the old roof chunks gone just check all your mating areas for smoothness so the new one can drop right on. The roof of a car is the last panel welded on when new so it is an easy panel to do compared to most. You can use a regular drill bit to make the holes for plug welding.
I have seen SO many people screw up panel replacement by misuse of spotweld drills. They have their place but this is a classic example of a job that has zero need for one.

LMAO!! This has got to be one of the most ignorant posts I've read in a while.

You're actually telling everyone that it's better to hack up ,rip and butcher off old skin than actually using proper tool that will remove the remove old skin without distorting not only pinchwelds ,but most important, the actual roof structure?

Not sure what your defenition of "spotweld cutter" is, but it's actually a tool that will remove spotwelds without any damage to underlaying metal and in right hands it will take about 3-5 seconds to cut each spotweld,maybe it's time you do some shopping for high quality cutter

Nowhere did I say "hack,butcher or rip off the roof"
25 years of restoring Mopars has given me plenty of experience doing panel replacement.My method is by far the least destructive as well as the least time consuming.
Yes spot weld cutters have their place,but a roof skin does not require one at all and as stated by another poster,can actually do more harm than good.
Try getting a spot weld cutter into the drip rails.
The purpose of a spotweld cutter is to drill thru only the outer panel leaving the underlying panel unharmed.Now that is great when you want to save both panels,like when you are salvaging used panels from a parts car.If you are using a new roof,and there is no need to save the old roof,then using a spotweld cutter is redudant.In fact it creates more work because you now have little buttons left over when using a Blair Rotabroach which guess what-need grinding to make flush.By erasing the spotwelds with a cut off disc,you kill two birds with one stone.Release the spotwelds AND grinding flush.All in one step !
And no risk of drilling too deep with the spotweld cutter and damaging and weakening the panel below.
My suggestion of using an air chisel to remove the surface of the roof is to gain access to areas like the drip rails and it allows one to stand inside the car with the roof surface removed to allow an easier position to get to the areas needing attention.
An air chisel is a tool which can be very helpful or very destructive in the wrong hands.I have seen much damage done by a fool with an air chisel.That said,I have also seen much damage done by a fool with a spotweld cutter.
Rule # 1 when doing work like this.Be careful,think before you cut and measure 3 times-cut once.If you don't feel capable of doing this work-don't even start.
I have no control over how anyone handles a repair like this and everyone is going to have opinions and shortcuts and suggestions.These are merely mine and work well for me.
I have specialized in metal work since the 1980's and know my trade.I can assure you I am not ignorant about panel replacement.I do it full time.
Perhaps before you ridicule someone,you should take the time to consider the possibilities of other methods.

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: demon] #498604
01/15/10 01:52 AM
01/15/10 01:52 AM
nj
N
notforsale440 Offline
notforsale440  Offline
N

nj
ding ding ding........we have a winner.....give Demon a cigar

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: demon] #498605
01/15/10 02:00 AM
01/15/10 02:00 AM
Polson, MT
DoctorDiff Offline
master
DoctorDiff  Offline
master

Polson, MT
A spot weld cutter was worthless when I skinned the top on my '66 Coronet. The pinch welds in the drip rails were WAY too long. I used a die-grinder and carbide burr on the project car as well as the donor.

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: DoctorDiff] #498606
01/15/10 12:45 PM
01/15/10 12:45 PM
nj
N
notforsale440 Offline
notforsale440  Offline
N

nj
welcome to the ranks of the ignorant

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: notforsale440] #498607
01/15/10 01:10 PM
01/15/10 01:10 PM
jersey shore
F
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas
flypaper  Offline
I hate Texas
F

jersey shore

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: notforsale440] #498608
01/15/10 02:05 PM
01/15/10 02:05 PM
Jacksonville Florida
elitecustombody Offline
pro stock
elitecustombody  Offline
pro stock

Jacksonville Florida
Keep telling that to yourself

Quote:

welcome to the ranks of the ignorant

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: elitecustombody] #498609
01/15/10 03:50 PM
01/15/10 03:50 PM
Erda, UT
67Charger Offline
master
67Charger  Offline
master

Erda, UT
Wow, I didn't think this would become a pissing match...

Thanks for all the suggestion, I just don't dare tell you which way I'll do it so I won't get ostracized by the other side!

11.33 @ 118.46 on motor
10.75 @ 125.35 w/ a little spray
Now, high Speed Open Road Racing - Silver State Classic Challenge, Nevada Open Road Challenge, Big Bend Open Road Race
Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020, 2022 2.0, Sick Week 2023
Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: 67Charger] #498610
01/15/10 06:35 PM
01/15/10 06:35 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
I'm not going to get into which way is best. However, I have used a spotweld cutter on larger spotwelds (1/8" or so?) that seem to be structural welds (if that is the proper term) like you would find on a front inner fender or core support. Then there are these little spotwelds that look just like a pencil point. I put lower quarter patch panels on a '74 Dart one time and there must have been (no kidding) over a hundred of these suckers between the quarter and the trunk extension. It's like the guy with the welder had Parkinson's. I used a 3/32" drill bit to cut these out. I guess what I'm trying to say is that all spot welds aren't created equal.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: 6PakBee] #498611
01/15/10 08:46 PM
01/15/10 08:46 PM
Jacksonville Florida
elitecustombody Offline
pro stock
elitecustombody  Offline
pro stock

Jacksonville Florida
Quote:

I'm not going to get into which way is best. However, I have used a spotweld cutter on larger spotwelds (1/8" or so?) that seem to be structural welds (if that is the proper term) like you would find on a front inner fender or core support. Then there are these little spotwelds that look just like a pencil point. I put lower quarter patch panels on a '74 Dart one time and there must have been (no kidding) over a hundred of these suckers between the quarter and the trunk extension. It's like the guy with the welder had Parkinson's. I used a 3/32" drill bit to cut these out. I guess what I'm trying to say is that all spot welds aren't created equal.

that's nothing compared to old Porsches, everything on those cars is welded with two or three rows of 1/8" diameter spotwelds and they are 1/4" apart,

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: 67Charger] #498612
01/15/10 09:32 PM
01/15/10 09:32 PM
Greenville, N.C.
BarrsRestoration Offline
enthusiast
BarrsRestoration  Offline
enthusiast

Greenville, N.C.
Quote:

Thanks for all the suggestion, I just don't dare tell you which way I'll do it so I won't get ostracized by the other side!

Fair enough. If you decide to drill it, you might want to order some new drip rails.

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: BarrsRestoration] #498613
01/16/10 10:17 AM
01/16/10 10:17 AM
Florida
M
Mopars4Mark Offline
Mopars4Mark  Offline
M

Florida
Don't know if this will give any insight to the roof rail "spot welds" questions, but here goes. As a former Ford Motor company Body shop employee building F-Series truck, one of my jobs as an off-buck welder (one that manhandled the heavy ass spot guns for shotting many welds in various panel locations) I was fortunate enough to be one to actually weld the roof to the drip rails. This bohemoth's welding tip was not of round type tip as was the rest of the spot welders, but instead, was a narrow and long tip approximately 1/8 inch wide by 5/8 long blade type using approximately 60 psi and a weld time of .83 seconds. to pinch and weld the drip rail. Now, across the windshield and backglass, well that is pretty self explanatory. Hope this will help answer some questions.

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: 67Charger] #498614
01/16/10 12:17 PM
01/16/10 12:17 PM
Loveland Colorado
J
jake71 Offline
enthusiast
jake71  Offline
enthusiast
J

Loveland Colorado
Quote:

Seems to me that a guy could take all this information and the different suggested methods and pick which one, or combination, works best for him. I know that I've personally done things WAY different that others, mostly because I hadn't thought of the other methods, and still had great results. To each his own and as long as we're still havin' fun and it comes out good in the end, that's what it's all about.
P.S. I don't know if the Challenger rails are different from yours, but I used a spot weld cutter on mine with good results. No damage to the drip rails but it turned out they were rusted out anyway.

Last edited by jake71; 01/16/10 12:22 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2