10/16/09 12:37 PM
10/16/09 12:37 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey Guys I have a 68 charger and im looking to purchase one of the AMD roof skins for replacement. Has anybody done a roof skin on a B body? Can you tell me what is involved and will i need to replace the drip channels mine are in exceleent condition. Any help would be appreciated I have done floorpans patch panels quarters etc. Thanks in advance

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation #498584
10/16/09 01:25 PM
10/16/09 01:25 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
I have not done a 60's body but the later models were spot welded along the drip rails. Then slathered with seam sealer before painting. You will need to keep your existing drip rails.

Get a 3M mesh rust/paint removal wheel and go to town in teh drip rail. You will probably find 5000 spot welds hiding under the body sealer.

Even though the skin isn't supposed to be the only structural part of the roof I suggest you level and block the rocker panels to help support the car before removing the old roof. Probably not needed but definitely not going to hurt. Especially if you have any other weak part like the floor pans.

Have fun.

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: IMGTX] #498585
10/16/09 01:53 PM
10/16/09 01:53 PM
waukon iowa
1hot68 Offline
1hot68  Offline

waukon iowa
I used an AMD roof skin on my 69 Charger and it fit pretty well. I used new drip rails ,but only cause my Charger needed new ones due to rust. If yours are fine then reuse them.

Last edited by 1hot68; 10/16/09 01:54 PM.
Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: 1hot68] #498586
10/16/09 03:44 PM
10/16/09 03:44 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thanks I appreciate it. Does the roof skin attach were the windshield lip is in the front all the way to the rear windshield lip on the back is? I have to go look at the car but im assuming were the sking attaches in the front and rear by the winsheilds are mostly spot welded on. And were the drip channels are there appears to be some kind of compound that needs to be removed like the gentleman indicated above that will reveal spotwelds. In the Front it looks like the skin goes down the front pillar towards the fender is the factory roof skin terminated there as well or did you graft it in up higher? Apreciate the responses experience is worth alot and Id like to know what im dealing with ahead of time. Thansk Again..

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation #498587
10/16/09 04:46 PM
10/16/09 04:46 PM
waukon iowa
1hot68 Offline
1hot68  Offline

waukon iowa
The AMD roof skin is just like the original in where it attaches and stops.....It spot welds all the way around, just like you said.

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: 1hot68] #498588
10/16/09 06:13 PM
10/16/09 06:13 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thanks alot I really appreciate it.. I can see no wi better order a couple more spot weld cutters thanks for the pictures

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: 1hot68] #498589
10/16/09 06:16 PM
10/16/09 06:16 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey one more quick question is the skin tacked to the braces at all or does it just lay on top of it for support?

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation #498590
10/16/09 06:28 PM
10/16/09 06:28 PM
waukon iowa
1hot68 Offline
1hot68  Offline

waukon iowa
NO. THe skin is not welded to the braces. They siply have seam sealer type caulk on them ,to hold the roof tight but let it flex too. I used windshield urethane myself.

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation PICS??? [Re: 1hot68] #498591
01/13/10 02:08 PM
01/13/10 02:08 PM
Erda, UT
67Charger Offline
master
67Charger  Offline
master

Erda, UT
Can someone give a closeup of the weld area? I'm going to be doing the roof skin on my '68 Charger soon and want to get as much info in advance as I can.

11.33 @ 118.46 on motor
10.75 @ 125.35 w/ a little spray
Now, high Speed Open Road Racing - Silver State Classic Challenge, Nevada Open Road Challenge, Big Bend Open Road Race
Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020, 2022 2.0, Sick Week 2023
Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation #498592
01/13/10 02:21 PM
01/13/10 02:21 PM
Jacksonville Florida
elitecustombody Offline
pro stock
elitecustombody  Offline
pro stock

Jacksonville Florida
don't forget to pick up a good spotweld cutter,use seam sealer or low expanding foam on braces,you want the skin to float on braces

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: elitecustombody] #498593
01/13/10 02:41 PM
01/13/10 02:41 PM
Erda, UT
67Charger Offline
master
67Charger  Offline
master

Erda, UT
I've got a blair cutter, and it will be a while before I have the skin to put on. I have to blast the body first. The roof skin is trash from a weathered vinyl top letting moisture in and I want to remove it before blasting so I can get all the braces clean and repaired. I just need to know what will and won't come with the new skin so I don't cut off pieces that must stay/be repaired. Mostly the drip rail area is what I'm concerned with.

Thanks!

11.33 @ 118.46 on motor
10.75 @ 125.35 w/ a little spray
Now, high Speed Open Road Racing - Silver State Classic Challenge, Nevada Open Road Challenge, Big Bend Open Road Race
Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020, 2022 2.0, Sick Week 2023
Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation #498594
01/13/10 03:29 PM
01/13/10 03:29 PM
State of Fascism
52savoy Offline
master
52savoy  Offline
master

State of Fascism
Make sure the old spot welds are ground off flush before putting the new roof on so it lays down flat.
I was watching a show on the SPEED CHANNEL? this past weekend. They re-skinned a Mustang roof but instead of spot welding it back on, they used panel adhesive. First they cleaned off the e-coating and then they ran a solid bead around the rail... and clamped it(quick) with about a zillion clamps(more or less).

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: 67Charger] #498595
01/13/10 03:42 PM
01/13/10 03:42 PM
Jacksonville Florida
elitecustombody Offline
pro stock
elitecustombody  Offline
pro stock

Jacksonville Florida
Quote:

I've got a blair cutter, and it will be a while before I have the skin to put on. I have to blast the body first. The roof skin is trash from a weathered vinyl top letting moisture in and I want to remove it before blasting so I can get all the braces clean and repaired. I just need to know what will and won't come with the new skin so I don't cut off pieces that must stay/be repaired. Mostly the drip rail area is what I'm concerned with.

once you start removing the old skin, you'll see what all the seams,
Thanks!

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: elitecustombody] #498596
01/13/10 06:27 PM
01/13/10 06:27 PM
Canada
D
demon Offline
super stock
demon  Offline
super stock
D

Canada
A spot weld cutter is completely un necessary on a roof skin replacement.
Unless you plan to save the removed roof skin there is no need to use a spotweld cutter anywhere on this job.
What you do is remove all parts like the trim,windshield,roof rails etc and then melt out the lead in the joints(or bondo if it was a vinyl roof car). Then use a air chisel CAREFULLY to remove the skin aroun the perimeter without trying to seperate the welds yet- just get the majority removed. Now you have access to all the spotwelds. Use a cut off saw with a thicker zip disc to "erase" the spotwelds. As you get good you will get the feel of it and be able to go just far enough thru the top layer to let the welds pop free. Once you have all the old roof chunks gone just check all your mating areas for smoothness so the new one can drop right on. The roof of a car is the last panel welded on when new so it is an easy panel to do compared to most. You can use a regular drill bit to make the holes for plug welding.
I have seen SO many people screw up panel replacement by misuse of spotweld drills. They have their place but this is a classic example of a job that has zero need for one.

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: demon] #498597
01/14/10 11:01 PM
01/14/10 11:01 PM
Greenville, N.C.
BarrsRestoration Offline
enthusiast
BarrsRestoration  Offline
enthusiast

Greenville, N.C.
Quote:

Unless you plan to save the removed roof skin there is no need to use a spotweld cutter anywhere on this job.
What you do is remove all parts like the trim,windshield,roof rails etc and then melt out the lead in the joints(or bondo if it was a vinyl roof car). Then use a air chisel CAREFULLY to remove the skin aroun the perimeter without trying to seperate the welds yet- just get the majority removed. Now you have access to all the spotwelds. Use a cut off saw with a thicker zip disc to "erase" the spotwelds. As you get good you will get the feel of it and be able to go just far enough thru the top layer to let the welds pop free. Once you have all the old roof chunks gone just check all your mating areas for smoothness so the new one can drop right on. The roof of a car is the last panel welded on when new so it is an easy panel to do compared to most. You can use a regular drill bit to make the holes for plug welding.
I have seen SO many people screw up panel replacement by misuse of spotweld drills. They have their place but this is a classic example of a job that has zero need for one.

I agree. As I was reading the suggestions I thought to myself that a spotweld drill bit would be useless and probably destructive to the underlying metal on replacing a roof skin. Much better to "erase" the spotwelds. I use a cut-off tool with either a 3M #1989 or #1990 cut-off wheel. I follow with a 1&1/2" wide stiff scraper with a hammer behind it.

Steve

www.clarkclassic.com

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: demon] #498598
01/14/10 11:48 PM
01/14/10 11:48 PM
Jacksonville Florida
elitecustombody Offline
pro stock
elitecustombody  Offline
pro stock

Jacksonville Florida
Quote:

LMAO!! This has got to be one of the most ignorant posts I've read in a while.

You're actually telling everyone that it's better to hack up ,rip and butcher off old skin than actually using proper tool that will remove the remove old skin without distorting not only pinchwelds ,but most important, the actual roof structure?

Not sure what your defenition of "spotweld cutter" is, but it's actually a tool that will remove spotwelds without any damage to underlaying metal and in right hands it will take about 3-5 seconds to cut each spotweld,maybe it's time you do some shopping for high quality cutter

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: elitecustombody] #498599
01/14/10 11:59 PM
01/14/10 11:59 PM
Bellevue, NE
C
Charger453 Offline
super stock
Charger453  Offline
super stock
C

Bellevue, NE
Just got done doing this on mine, but I don't have any real good pics of all the weld areas. You'll have a hundred spot welds along the drip rails and upper window/windshield channel areas. Then obviously the seams will have lead/filler. My rear window channel was so far gone, I didn't have anything back there to worry about!

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: elitecustombody] #498600
01/15/10 12:00 AM
01/15/10 12:00 AM
waukon iowa
1hot68 Offline
1hot68  Offline

waukon iowa
Quote:

Quote:

You're actually telling everyone that it's better to hack up ,rip and butcher off old skin than actually using proper tool that will remove the remove old skin without distorting not only pinchwelds ,but most important, the actual roof structure?

Not sure what your defenition of "spotweld cutter" is, but it's actually a tool that will remove spotwelds without any damage to underlaying metal and in right hands it will take about 3-5 seconds to cut each spotweld,maybe it's time you do some shopping for high quality cutter

You might want to look at the drip rail spot welds on a Mopar b-body before you talk like that. They are very close together and they are not round like most spot welds. The grinder tecnique works much better than a spot weld drill in most case and FAR better in this case.

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: 1hot68] #498601
01/15/10 12:15 AM
01/15/10 12:15 AM
MO
C
cdp Offline
master
cdp  Offline
master
C

MO
http://www.spike.com/full-episode/edelbrock-mustang/35437

The just replaced the roofskin on a 67 eldebrock stang tribute. Good for reference.

Re: B Body Roof Skin Installation [Re: 1hot68] #498602
01/15/10 12:32 AM
01/15/10 12:32 AM
Jacksonville Florida
elitecustombody Offline
pro stock
elitecustombody  Offline
pro stock

Jacksonville Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You might want to look at the drip rail spot welds on a Mopar b-body before you talk like that. They are very close together and they are not round like most spot welds. The grinder tecnique works much better than a spot weld drill in most case and FAR better in this case.

if there was enough room at the factory for spotwelder,there is enough room for spotweld cutter, you know,they sell different sizes bit,don't you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2