Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 24 1 2 21 22 23 24
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: 70plymA34] #481614
01/10/11 08:54 AM
01/10/11 08:54 AM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

I dare ya to go with the same wheel/tire combo

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: anlauto] #481615
01/10/11 11:23 AM
01/10/11 11:23 AM
Long Island, NY
70plymA34 Offline
super stock
70plymA34  Offline
super stock

Long Island, NY
the original owner said the car did not handle well with the a34 package and those 14" rims. He had the rear rims widened shortly after getting the car. Here is another pic. This one is circa 71-72 when the orig owners brother got a fairly new Challenger. The options were similar to the Cuda. I am glad there were some pics for this car. Unfortunately they were probably taken on junk Ektachrome instead of Kodachrome film.

6408460-Cuda_1974.jpg (327 downloads)
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: 70plymA34] #481616
01/10/11 11:28 AM
01/10/11 11:28 AM
Atlanta Indiana
D
Dave Watt Offline
master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
Your Cuda looks fantastic. The B7 blue really shines in the sun.
Hopefully you'll be this summer.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: clownin mopar] #481617
01/26/11 01:54 PM
01/26/11 01:54 PM
Ontario, Canada
FJ5_Fish Offline
pro stock
FJ5_Fish  Offline
pro stock

Ontario, Canada
Quote:

Everyone seems to say the top shops in the country charge to much, but going by this thread it doesn't seem to be so. Why? EXPERIENCE

At this point you have invested all this money, and time, in a car that is still far from done & driving. You have gotten hosed some horribly inflated prices, like the Frank Badalson trans job! A pro shop could have done this in house for $500.00.
I hope your car gets done soon, it's very nice! Good luck

Mr. Clownin Mopar

Frank and Roger have done a lot of work for me over the years with great results and a fair price. They are two of the most honest people I know in this car hobby. I saw this and called Frank. What was not discussed or revealed about the price was all the extra work that was done. Maybe you can get a rebuilder to do a tortured 4-speed trans for $500.00 (good luck with that). To rebuild and properly restore a 4-speed is a different story. What you end up with is a painted up generic trans. Not mentioned was the proper rebuild using premium internals, set-up, proper restoration of the case, the extra plating of the externals included ancillary items such as NOS boots, plating of the clutch fork and brackets, correct ink and paint stampings/marks etc. and the fabication of the cradle and the crate for shipping. There were also other extra's the customer wanted as well.

It's easy to sit here behind a screen name and blast away - especially without knowing all the facts.

I am not writing this because anyone asked me to - I am writing this because I think the integrity and reputation of good hobby people was being questioned and shot at wrongly.

If you want to have something that is 100% OE correct and have zero worries about the performance, durability and no excuses having to be made.....quality and craftsmanship costs more. There are rebuilders and there are restorers.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: FJ5_Fish] #481618
01/26/11 04:24 PM
01/26/11 04:24 PM
Ont, Canada
moparo Offline
super stock
moparo  Offline
super stock

Ont, Canada
Here we go I hear this all the time " you could have paid less going this way" Yep you are correct to bad all those people that do it that way end up going the expensive route after the work they got done SUCKS.

Hey why don't you post picture of the trans job for $500 bucks.

I bet it looks and runs like the one I had to take out of a car of for a customers AAR (He had the trans done on his own mind you).

I personally know what it takes to get a trans to look OE and just the cleaning and case prep cost more than $500.

If you paid for an OE job and got a cast iron painted piece of crap back then something is going really wrong here.

performancecarrestorations.com
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: 70plymA34] #481619
01/26/11 04:41 PM
01/26/11 04:41 PM
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Did the owner of this Cuda in question post pictures of his finished transmission, if so I missed it...

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: moparo] #481620
01/26/11 04:47 PM
01/26/11 04:47 PM
Long Island, NY
70plymA34 Offline
super stock
70plymA34  Offline
super stock

Long Island, NY
The transmission in question is on my car and it came out real nice. A while back, a number of people jumped ugly when I mentioned the price of the job. I did not mention it to start a mele. With some of the comments made, it made me think something was up. Frank and I talked in length about the restoration process and the issue was resolved. Like I said in my posts a few pages back, I was just surprised how much this type of work went for. I am sure there will be no issues with his work.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: anlauto] #481621
01/26/11 04:48 PM
Atlanta Indiana
D
Dave Watt Offline
master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
Quote:

Did the owner of this Cuda in question post pictures of his finished transmission, if so I missed it...

Here it is:

6439819-5694155-176.bmp (347 downloads)
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: Dave Watt] #481622
Atlanta Indiana
D
Dave Watt Offline
master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
Bolted to engine:

6439821-5694159-187.jpg (247 downloads)
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: anlauto] #481623
01/26/11 04:52 PM
01/26/11 04:52 PM
Long Island, NY
70plymA34 Offline
super stock
70plymA34  Offline
super stock

Long Island, NY
Quote:

page 4 alan

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: 70plymA34] #481624
01/28/11 06:01 PM
01/28/11 06:01 PM
Long Island, NY
70plymA34 Offline
super stock
70plymA34  Offline
super stock

Long Island, NY
**********AMERICAN***MUSCLE*CAR***REVOLUTION**********
**********PART***ONE**********
-PAINT & BODY REVIEW-

______________________________________________________________________________________

Ladies & Gentlemen, this is the moment a lot of you have been waiting for. This is part one of my experience with Tim D's American Muscle Car Revolution. This review will cover all paint and body work done on my 1970 Plymouth Cuda by AMCR. Basically they had a really good solid car to work on. Part two will be in a few weeks and that will cover the mechanical/suspension work AMCR did on my car. Since the carb had to be sent out again I cant really make a review for this end of the project yet because I have not driven the car thoroughly yet. So far so good. Stay tuned...
______________________________________________________________________________________

-------------------BACKGROUND--INFO---------------------
When I started this project three years ago, I was only planning to do a repaint back to the original B7 color (the second owner had it repainted to 71 B7). When I bought the Cuda, the original motor had been through a minor but incorrect rebuild and the original transmission had some minor problems. I had the original 410 gear removed and replaced with a more street friendly 3.54. The rotisserie idea was not in my mind yet because the car was pretty intact and the extremely heavy dealership undercoat was preserving the car pretty well on the underside. The usual spots had some minor surface rust and all the original sheetmetal was intact except a the front driver side fender which was replaced in the early 70's. The original owner that had the car for 31 years clarified that and obviously left it garaged or covered during ownership. I am the third owner of the car.

------------THE-SEARCH------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________At first I wanted to keep the car in NY at a local shop. Estimates were gotten from several decent autobody shops. The prices ranged from $14K to 45K. Most did not even look at the car thoroughly and threw prices out there and said these were the best case scenarios (no panel replacement, just strip outer shell to bare metal, fix imperfections, prime & repaint. Granted, I had to do the disassembly to get these great prices,LOL. The overall vibe that I got was that they did not want to do it because these are long term jobs take space from the usual quick money fender benders that they do.
A friend eventually pointed me in the direction to a shop on the north shore that did a nice job repainting his impala. After a few visits and detailed conversations of the work I wanted done, we struck a deal, I took the car apart bagging and tagging everything and had the car towed to the shop. Now he promised a 6 month turnaround because he claimed the winter was slow. Needless to say 4 months passed, the car was moved from one side of the shop to the other and nothing was done. I kept getting the runaround as to why nothing hsa been done yet. I am glad they did not touch the car at all because I would've been going through a 2nd resto when I retire, LOL... This time delay proved to be valuable for two reasons. One, it freed up space and two it bought me time to research other shops outside of NY. I knew of moparts for a while before I started this project and i figured it would be a good place to start looking for a shop. It was during a search that I found AMCR's advertisement and I was shocked at what they were offering.(Everyone else seemed shocked as well,LOL). Rotisserie resto work for a set price. I was thinking to myself of the great condition of the car and all the parts coming off and figured this would now be a candidate for an all out rotisserie job. After a few conversations with Tim of the work to be done and looking through his shops portfolio, I decided to use them for this job. The portfolio was impressive and the paint and body guy had been doing this work for 30+ years. He could handle any job thrown his way. Some of the rotted wrecks in the portfolio were basically brought back to life with a whole lot of master fab and metal work. Also, the fact that they had space to start this job ASAP was another plus.

----------GEORGIA-BOUND-----------____________________________________________________________________________________
When the car arrived at the shop in august of 09, they started on it immediately and had the thing hand stripped to bare metal within a week or two. and mounted on the rotisserie They sent pics of the work as they billed and luckily there was no severe body damage just a few small dents,nick and dings covered by the second repaint. Everything was fixed and I went to look at the car in person and was pleased with the work that had been done.
Next phase was the paint. My big fear was not their skills with body work but whether or not these guys could match that b7 perfectly. Its one of Chryslers nicest colors but also hard to match. That was my worry from the start but Tim reassured me that they would match it. Since they never did a B7 car, I pointed them in the direction of Roger Gibson if they needed any guidance with the color. Apparently he never did one either. Roger did help out with some other things. There was a lot of research from which paint to use down to the primers to LA style darker primer to use underneath it.
There was a slight delay before I approved the test panel, they shot for me.
In the end, I decided on the factory process which used a red oxide primer underneath the base coat. Pros, the color ended up matching, cons, hopefully no chipped paint. The closest match 70 B7 was 2020 Shopline by PPG. Believe it or not the Global was not an exact match. However we used a high quality clear over the base. I could have done a single stage, but I wanted a more durable paint job. During the paint process, all non B7 color parts were shot during this period. (suspension, master cyl, torsion bars, dana, etc..). Again, pictures were constantly emailed to update on the work. Keep in mind the progress was not as rapid because they got two more cars in so they had to divide their time between three (70 RR vert, Charger RT and my Cuda). Assembly took a while because of several delays on my end waiting on parts to be finished. They wont be brought up because they have nothing to do with AMCR. This dragged reassembly out a few extra months.
Now, here comes my only regret of the project. The infamous redo of the bottom of the car. Basically in april or may of 2010, all the big stuff was back on the car. After looking through pics that Tim sent, the dark gray primer was not sitting well with me. I found some clear shots above the gas tank of black primer. This change when the car was almost done cost several months extra headaches for the shop. I do apologize over and over and wish I never did this at this phase. Also a reduced staff didnt help progress either. Eventually, the second reassembly was completed around the starting and finishing of some other projects. My second to last visit to the shop was in October 2010 to inspect the car. There was a few minor things to be addressed. Another thing that held up the project in the end and I am annoyed I did not think of it sooner was a hood and door hinge rebuild by SMS(EXCELLENT WORK). Obviously this required more paint work when they came back. Fast forward to a cold ass morning late december/early january 2011 when the Cuda arrived via Passport Auto. The fun begins!!!!!

__________________-----REPORT--CARD-----_________________________
Here it is folks, the long awaited paint/body report card for AMCR

Overall paint & body grade A (outstanding with the exception of a few small issues)
Customer Service- A+
Professionalism and not giving up when the bandwagon attacked- A+
Execution of 2nd redo of bottom- A+++++

Besides Tim who has been great during this whole experience, I want to point the spotlight on an unsung hero that will get a moparts standing ovation. His name is Mike Snyder. He is the master paint/body and all around great guy at AMCR. This man is one of the best paint/body guys out there. He is a perfectionist and tries his hardest to make all parties happy. HIs 30+ years of experience show on my car and the others he has done. He is not really on the computer much nor a member of this site but I felt he deserved a great deal of recognition as well. MIke, "THIS BUDS FOR YOU"!...

Like stated previously, part two writeup and conclusion is coming soon and then we can bring this thread to a close.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: 70plymA34] #481625
01/28/11 07:51 PM
01/28/11 07:51 PM
pa.
D
dan9 Offline
super stock
dan9  Offline
super stock
D

pa.
When you say the Global b7 paint didn't match, what didn't it match?

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: 70plymA34] #481626
01/28/11 08:14 PM
01/28/11 08:14 PM
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Great review for sure but the score card is incomplete.

When shopping for a body shop or restoration shop, there are THREE major criteria to be met.

1) QUALITY

2) TIME FRAME

3) FINAL COST vs ESTIMATE

Now by reading this thread about your car, and seeing other posts by AMCR I think I can answer the first two with some certainty, however I will speak for most people when I ask... Did AMCR stick to their estimated cost? With the extra work that YOU ask for, I can understand being charged extra, but did they ever raise the cost of the project or go over their famous "$25K MAX labour special" for reasons that they discovered?

...and a question for TIM....If you did indeed stick to your estimated price....Did you "make money" or lose your shirt...by that I mean taking the total amount charged divided by the total hours spent...are you making minimum wage?

...Again a question for Tim...has a project like this made you rethink your $25K deal OR or quite contrary did it reaffirm your offer?

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: anlauto] #481627
01/28/11 10:57 PM
01/28/11 10:57 PM
Northern New Jersey
EV2AAR Offline
mopar
EV2AAR  Offline
mopar

Northern New Jersey
I have enjoyed this whole process and want to give KUDOS to AMCR.
The owner appears to be completely happy based on his grading of Tim and his crew.

There are a number of posters on here waiting for you to fail so they can steer people to their services.

Good job Tim and AMCR. I would not hesitate to send you my AAR !

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: EV2AAR] #481628
01/28/11 11:35 PM
01/28/11 11:35 PM
Ontario, Canada
FJ5_Fish Offline
pro stock
FJ5_Fish  Offline
pro stock

Ontario, Canada
Truth is - It is almost impossible to quote a price up front on a restoration. No one is 100% sure what lies ahead until they find all the trouble spots. I have seen many people (and friends) lose their ass sticking to quotes.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: FJ5_Fish] #481629
01/29/11 12:14 AM
01/29/11 12:14 AM
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Quote:

Truth is - It is almost impossible to quote a price up front on a restoration. No one is 100% sure what lies ahead until they find all the trouble spots. I have seen many people (and friends) lose their ass sticking to quotes.

That's exactly correct and that's why many people who have either done restorations or had restoration done gave Tim a very hard time when AMCR introduced their $25K MAX Special, on any job, on any car...

In the last year or so, with a couple of cars posted Tim is starting to prove themselves, and I wish them the best of luck.
I certainly, don't want, or don't need any of his potential business...we live a Country apart...

I borrowed this years ago from Roger Gibson's web site and it's written on my "policy" too..

It is impossible to estimate the exact cost of a restoration at the beginning of a job. A general figure, a high and low, can be given based on previous similar jobs. If a written estimate is required, expect them to be high enough to cover any possibilities. Restorations are performed as economically as possible without compromising the finished quality.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: anlauto] #481630
01/29/11 05:50 PM
01/29/11 05:50 PM
Roswell, GA - near Atlanta
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

When shopping for a body shop or restoration shop, there are THREE major criteria to be met.

1) QUALITY

2) TIME FRAME

Now by reading this thread about your car, and seeing other posts by AMCR I think I can answer the first two with some certainty, however I will speak for most people when I ask... Did AMCR stick to their estimated cost? With the extra work that YOU ask for, I can understand being charged extra, but did they ever raise the cost of the project or go over their famous "$25K MAX labour special" for reasons that they discovered?

...and a question for TIM....If you did indeed stick to your estimated price....Did you "make money" or lose your shirt...by that I mean taking the total amount charged divided by the total hours spent...are you making minimum wage?

...Again a question for Tim...has a project like this made you rethink your $25K deal OR or quite contrary did it reaffirm your offer?

Big thanks to Mike Scala for the review! We really enjoyed working on your car.

As I indicated originally, we are never going to get rich doing what we do for the prices we charge. We made enough money to live and that's all we ever try to do. We live and work in a country setting and our overhead is nothing compared to most other shops.

Yes, we stuck to our bid(s). We had a communications error on the redo of the bottom and we still stuck to our word. Mike, being the classy guy he is, gave us a nice gratuity over and above the amount of the price we charged him.

We take responsibility for taking longer to do the job on the points that are our responsibility and the owner has taken responsibility for the delays that were his. All in all, no harm, no foul.

Will we do more $25k max jobs? Yes, the shop is full of them. And I get new requests for bids often. I never finished the web site and never posted pictures so it's 100% from these postings and word of mouth.

I will say this though. We would much rather do the $18k max partial jobs like we did on Rich's RR vert. And, if you lived here Alan, it's all we would do. We would send you everything else.

Will we do work at these low prices forever? Heck no. We could probably raise them by $10k and still be just as busy just because people want a fixed bid.

I don't want to cause a debate here and I won't respond to any trash talk on Mike's thread. But, we know our capabilities. My partner Mike Snyder can replace metal and do body work better than any human I've ever known. He is the one who gets all of the credit for us being able to do work at fixed bids. It's not surprising to me that others are afraid to simply because they don't have the level of experience he does. In order to cover overhead, many shops have to work on several cars at once and therefore have one real journeyman body man or painter and several people with much less experience. All we have is Mike, Hubert is back part time and me for mechanical.

When we started this journey, we were referred to several experts for help. When it comes to welding, body and paint, some of the same experts now call Mike Snyder for advice. I won't mention names but I think you'd be surprised.

Martin, GA Quality Auto Restoration with Fair FIXED Pricing. Fast-N-Dangerous@comcast.net
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: anlauto] #481631
01/30/11 12:58 PM
01/30/11 12:58 PM
Long Island, NY
70plymA34 Offline
super stock
70plymA34  Offline
super stock

Long Island, NY
Quote:

1) QUALITY

2) TIME FRAME

Alan, your two cents during this thread has been like 25 cents. LOL. You are on everyones threads, LOL......

You bring up 3 criteria to be met for this project. All were met. Quality was met, Time frame would have been met. There were several delays on my end that held this thing up. In reality this probably would have been home in May of 2010. Keep in mind that there were some non resto imperfections that had to be fixed before coming home. These small issues would have been there with or without the redo of the bottom. As for price, they did stick to it. First off, my car was never one of their 25K jobs so even if we did hit the mark, it was for some non paint related issues which will be brought up in part 2 mechanical review which will be posted in about 2 weeks.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: 70plymA34] #481632
01/30/11 01:24 PM
01/30/11 01:24 PM
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Quote:

Alan, your two cents during this thread has been like 25 cents. LOL. You are on everyone's threads, LOL......

You bring up 3 criteria to be met for this project. All were met. Quality was met, Time frame would have been met. There were several delays on my end that held this thing up. In reality this probably would have been home in May of 2010. Keep in mind that there were some non resto imperfections that had to be fixed before coming home. These small issues would have been there with or without the redo of the bottom. As for price, they did stick to it. First off, my car was never one of their 25K jobs so even if we did hit the mark, it was for some non paint related issues which will be brought up in part 2 mechanical review which will be posted in about 2 weeks.

Is that a good thing or bad thing?

I think it seems that Tim and AMCR have more then proven themselves, and I wish them all the success in the world.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: anlauto] #481633
01/30/11 02:40 PM
01/30/11 02:40 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

Quote:

Alan, your two cents during this thread has been like 25 cents. LOL. You are on everyone's threads, LOL......

Is that a good thing or bad thing?

I think it seems that Tim and AMCR have more then proven themselves, and I wish them all the success in the world.

It's very good thing Alan. I can't thank you enough for all of the help you gave us on this build. There were so many details you helped with that I lost count.

I don't know if you saw it or not but, in another posting, I wrote that you were my hero. I understand that you are on it full time now and I think that's great. But, at the time, you were putting in 8 hours a day at work and still pumping out quality restos at an unbelievable pace. You are like a restoration super hero!

(You don't happen to wear tights and a cape while you are working, do you?)

Martin, GA Quality Auto Restoration with Fair FIXED Pricing. Fast-N-Dangerous@comcast.net
Page 23 of 24 1 2 21 22 23 24