11/06/07 11:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

That would be perfect setup for me since I have alredy spent a few dollars on the front. I could keep 75% of what already has been done...brakes,UCAs,steering box. The only rear upgrade I have is shocks.

We'll definitely be offering the Level I setup either as individual pieces or in groups - i.e. T-bars and shocks, or Leafs and shocks. We just need to go through it and then offer it. We also hae more Level I related pieces we'll be offering shortly as well, some of which are relevant to this setup.

We'll probably try and do this all together, but Level I front Level II Rear, is an easy one.

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end #47102
11/06/07 11:27 PM
11/06/07 11:27 PM
Ca Registered: Mar-2001
H
hemiallen Offline
master
hemiallen  Offline
master
H

I could donate my 74 challenger, pull the numbers 360 and drop the race 446 / 727 in it in a week ( at least my kid and his BIL could-LOL) from the cuda. Engine is a 13.3:1 eddy headed, 2" TTI that ran 10.80@123 with about 85% throttle blade opening ( pedal out of adjustment) and it should be right at 625 hp as we hoped......

Could trailer it down south to you, only about 8 hrs away from us, 2 tanks of gas and a few SL days...lol

I think with sticky's it could be right at 10.60's with a set of 3:91's from my shop...the charger it was in was probably 300 lbs less weight than the chally.

Allen

'05 Quad cab hemi truck- Flame red- magnaflow exhaust 70-440 cuda- 74-360-4v Challenger- new driver car EX vehicles: 66 charger Drag car- 10.80 at 123 mph 57 imperial 392 Hemi 1960 Sanger V drive- mondello-built 392 hemi
Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end ?'s #47103
11/06/07 11:52 PM
11/06/07 11:52 PM
Colorado
M
MoparCar Offline
MoparCar  Offline
M

Colorado

Well, this thread has made me think we should see if we can't offer our Level II setup in a more economical configuration - to make it within reach of more people.

That ball has already been set in motion.

So, give me a few weeks and we'll be releasing some new versions with lower points of entry on the cost side. Will likely be a bit more than RMS setup, but much closer.

I'm making an assumption here, that I really should be asking you guys: If we get the XV Level II closer to RMS on the cost side, but still a bit more, will more of you be interested in buying it?

Right now we are offering it only one way - best of everything. We can definitely change some pieces out and try and push down some of our costs on others as well.

There are some other VERY interesting configurations we've looked at as well that we can do easily.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
John

Yes!!! Very interested!!

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: hemiallen] #47104
11/06/07 11:59 PM
11/06/07 11:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I could donate my 74 challenger, pull the numbers 360 and drop the race 446 / 727 in it in a week ( at least my kid and his BIL could-LOL) from the cuda. Engine is a 13.3:1 eddy headed, 2" TTI that ran [Email]10.80@123[/Email] with about 85% throttle blade opening ( pedal out of adjustment) and it should be right at 625 hp as we hoped......

Could trailer it down south to you, only about 8 hrs away from us, 2 tanks of gas and a few SL days...lol

I think with sticky's it could be right at 10.60's with a set of 3:91's from my shop...the charger it was in was probably 300 lbs less weight than the chally.

Allen

How is your rear suspension setup now? Is the rear stock width or narrowed?

Basically we'd want to base line it with a SS spring setup, then one or two weeks later we'd go back with the new rear setup and dial it in. A few things need to happen in advance, but no big deal to get it together.

I need to see about timing, but getting it done before weather gets bad would be great.

We'd want to get a magazine out for this as well to cover it. We can coordinate that.

BTW, we finished up a dyno session at Westech today with Popular Hot Rodding for an article on our 5.7 HEMI carb kit. We ran it with stock cam and a bigger one w/ valvesprings from the upgraded kits. Power was up over our own dyno testing on both setups. They had us tear down the motor afterwards to make sure it was all stock otherwise - LOL. Yes it was! Hopefully this makes it into print soon, should be a good piece.

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end ?'s #47105
11/07/07 12:05 AM
Chicago, Illinois
Devil Offline
I Live Here
Devil  Offline
I Live Here

Chicago, Illinois
Quote:

hey "DEVIL"
you are only a couple hours away, and this will be a three day weekend. hop in your car and drive down here and we can take a ride in my demon with my rms. i bet you will quit bad mouthing them, and yes we will drive it "on road". heck i will even let you drive it unless it makes you neverous to drive a car with "off road" only parts. just an invite.

Damn right I won't drive a car that has an RMS setup. For off road use it seems perfect, well made, nicely done and thought out.

For a street driver, I can see the problems it can cause, I won't go near one.

When I get my car finished, it will handle quite well, and I know it won't fail, and all I have is upgraded suspension.

I'm just telling the truth, when the creator of the part even says not to use it for a street driver, I'd listen, he did build it.

Ryan

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end ?'s #47106
Wichita,KS
B
Blakcharger440 Offline
top fuel
Blakcharger440  Offline
top fuel
B

Wichita,KS
Quote:

Quote:

A direct comparison to the XV product is not possible because they're in two different realms. Bill made a good product that will work for 95% of us. XV went much farther than any of us really expected.
XV targeted the unlimited budget guys.
Bill is aiming at the real world guys.

Well, this thread has made me think we should see if we can't offer our Level II setup in a more economical configuration - to make it within reach of more people.

That ball has already been set in motion.

So, give me a few weeks and we'll be releasing some new versions with lower points of entry on the cost side. Will likely be a bit more than RMS setup, but much closer.

I'm making an assumption here, that I really should be asking you guys: If we get the XV Level II closer to RMS on the cost side, but still a bit more, will more of you be interested in buying it?

Right now we are offering it only one way - best of everything. We can definitely change some pieces out and try and push down some of our costs on others as well.

There are some other VERY interesting configurations we've looked at as well that we can do easily.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
John

I too have been following this thread and when I saw this post I am very interested in the different packages of a Level II system you might offer. I cant wait to hear and see what is on the horizon. It would be like Christmas all year if an affordable Level II would be offered....My 70 Charger RT would be grateful.

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end #47107
11/07/07 12:19 AM
11/07/07 12:19 AM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
does it have to be a package deal? I can understand required components such as springs when you get the shocks. What about other things?
Do you offer the stiffening pieces separately? What about offering the K frame and rack together and allowing the user to source the related mass-produced items such as the GM suspension parts and more cost effective shocks and springs?
Break it into bite size pieces that are much easier to digest.

Many people on this board have over $20,000 in their cars but not very many of them dropped that cash all at once.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end #47108
11/07/07 12:46 AM
11/07/07 12:46 AM
H
hemiallen Offline
master
hemiallen  Offline
master
H

Sorry, My mistake.

We are on opposite coasts, I thought you were LA based.

My car is all stock, but I do wish I had the coin to make a nice driver out of it.

The plan is to get the stock drivetrain back after a 15 year hibernation, then start upgrades to make it a driver on my 65 mi x 2 commute to the bay area. If the stock 360 isn't up to snuff I have a mild 440 / 727 to go into it with ported 906's and 1975 doug thorley chrome 2" headers from my cuda . Both of my cars sat garaged for many years, the cuda was 20 years in hibernation.

Back on topic. Hopefully you can get a local car and show us what we can accomplish with your suspension upgrades. They look very nice.

Congrats on the hemi build, and them thinking they needed to do the teardown...lol. My 05 5.7 truck astounds me when I need to outrun foreign-car commuters.

Allen

'05 Quad cab hemi truck- Flame red- magnaflow exhaust 70-440 cuda- 74-360-4v Challenger- new driver car EX vehicles: 66 charger Drag car- 10.80 at 123 mph 57 imperial 392 Hemi 1960 Sanger V drive- mondello-built 392 hemi
Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end #47109
11/07/07 01:03 AM
11/07/07 01:03 AM
Manitoba Canada
67autocross Offline
super stock
67autocross  Offline
super stock

Manitoba Canada
Quote:

Quote:

The only thing I see wrong with the VX system is they don't have a level 2 set up for the A body cars. As soon as they do thats what I'll be buying.

It's really hard to rationalize doing it for the A-Body cars. Originally we planned to, but right now it's not in the cards.

The reason is that we have launched products for A-Body cars and so far they really don't sell. Tilt columns - for E-Body I can't keep them in stock. B we sell plenty of as well. So far it hasn't been worth the time/money to have done the A body pieces.

Power window kits is another. I've lost track how many we've sold, primarily for E, but also alot of B-body. A-body again, hasn't been worth the effort at all.

Same with other pieces we have, numbers are many fold more for E and B, over the A.

We had put it out there long ago, if we got enough serious people for Level II A-Body, we'd do it. There's a small number who stood up, but not enough to warrant the resources in time and money. Time is our scarcest resource for getting things done. Some things are easy to do and we just knock them out. But bigger projects, we need to be confident the demand is there.

We've already started a Level II for older Mustangs - most of the work is already done. That'll be done before we have an A-Body product. From a business standpoint it's a bigger market and we have requests all day long for us to start building other kinds of cars, including Mustangs.

If there is enough demand, we'll do almost any platform - within reason. I'm sure you've noticed, we're launching many, many different products. That isn't going to stop. Lot's more in the pipeline and all to the same standards we do things to.

So if you really want us to do A-body, in this case it's a function of people stepping up and saying they are really serious - not just a post here, but get in touch with Peter and tell him you're in if we'll do it. He has a list, which has alot of dust on it and not enough names...

Level II Rear would be easy to do on the A-body. Chassis stiffening is pretty easy as well - some is already started on that. Level II Front is where it's going to require some real time and money to do it right.

John

Sounds fair, I just know that I could build a nice A body with a level II set up for the same cost as buying a stock E body.
If you do get the time I think you should at least do the Level I kits for the A body, I would think that you would be able to sell a good number of those.

A new iron curtain drawn across the 49th parallel
Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: hemiallen] #47110
11/07/07 01:26 AM
11/07/07 01:26 AM
White Haven, PA
B
Bill_Reilly Offline
Bill_Reilly  Offline
B

White Haven, PA
Ok, I'll bite. That's correct, I don't post much here anymore. My experience here has been that while most people ask questions, they already "know" what they're talking about and only want to read replies that reinforce what they believe. If anyone contradicts what they believe, it turns into a firestorm - I love chatting about suspension in general, and a lively debate is fun, but plain ole' arguing is not for me, so I avoid it.
I’ve been paying close attention for a long time now, and frankly, I’m awfully shocked that so many people are star-struck by that video, while never seeing the obvious.
The XV testing was an excellent educational video of what it takes to compete in pro-class, big sponsor racing. It also made clear that XV’s stiffening kit would be a great purchase – instead of blindly welding in reinforcements all over the place until the flexing is stopped, you can now buy a little bag of pieces that go right into the key areas – huge time saver.
But don’t confuse chassis stiffening items with suspension items. I could put all the same pieces together and call it an engineered kit – after years of working on these cars, most mopar builders can rattle off the problem areas without ever saying the words “engineered” or “proprietary”. Most of them already reinforce the same areas on their own. It’s still a huge time saver though, so I think the stiffening kit is a great idea for anyone that’s new to these cars.
The part that no one seems to notice is that a lot of the testing surrounded matching springs, shock valving, brake sizing, ect., to the car. That’s great stuff for THAT PARTICULAR car. On a daily basis, I deal with cars that appear identical, but vary in weight by more than 500lbs – sometimes with no explanation. Maybe one has a/c, a lot of dynamat and maybe some amps in the trunk, while the other does not. I had a 70 hemi cuda here this year that weighed in at 4208lbs, while another similar 70 hemi cuda only showed 3580lbs. My 69 iron-440 Dart weighs 3040lbs, but I have a buddy with a 340 Dart and it weighs 3425lbs. Knowing the engine and make of the car has no bearing at all on what it might weigh. But if you call XV, both hemi cudas will get the same components, which of course will only be a “match” to a car that weighs very close to the one XV tested. Or, if you don’t run the same tires and wheel sizes they tested on, you’ll also end up out of the “matched” category. Most of the pavement racers I know are pulling shocks apart if there’s a 50lb weight change. They also have different sets of shocks for different tracks, because at that level of perfection, small things make a big difference. If you run on a different piece of road than the track testing was done on, the settings will be off. You’re not going to know this because the parts are so much better than the generic stuff most of you are used to, it will be a massive improvement anyway. But I guess it’s ok, as long the TV show says they’re matched, it must be true.
As for the suspension side of things, again, attention must be paid to the underlying functions, not the million-dollar simulator it was parked on. Suspension must be very rugged to withstand daily street use or road race conditions – drag racing has simple requirements in the front, which I don’t really concentrate on – I have more fun turning the wheels. If I was an engine guy, drag racing would be my area of interest.
Anyway, suspension has to be durable, bind-free, the moving parts need to be flex-free, and the geometry has to be optimized.
Well, I felt there was a better, simpler way than doing all that cutting and welding, especially on cars that are getting ever-more rare. The shock tower design I came up with, along with the material sizes we used, provided all the structural integrity the suspension needed, without altering the car, weakening it, or putting any forces where they shouldn’t be. At that point, the frame satisfied all the design requirements, so there was no need to over-complicate it. Some people, actually most people these days, think that because something has an important job, it has to be complicated and analyzed by million-dollar computers. It only has to be analyzed by someone that knows what the end results should be. Computer simulations cut years off of development time, but since I’m about 6 years beyond the development stage, it’s just not a thought to me at this point. Yep, it looks like the XV frame is more rigid, but it doesn’t really matter. Once a part is strong enough to withstand it’s intended use, going further is silly. Sorry I had no TV show so everyone could watch me go through it all. I really didn’t think any of it was worth a DVD.

So now that there’s a frame that performs the proper functions, the next item to work out is geometry. There’s simple software to fine-tune all of that in an afternoon, although I admit it’s a lot of fun to play with, so even after 8 years, I’m still always trying different dimensions to see what will happen – the geometry is maxed out already though, so none of my play-time lately has warranted any real design changes. Pivot points and control arms are a simple matter to figure out – just sound principles and good materials, all of which are well-known throughout the industry. After a while, you’ll start to notice similar designs are used everywhere in all kinds of suspensions, street to race, GM, ford, mopar, imports – eventually, most companies end up with the same conclusions as to what works best. Recently, there’s been a shift towards the vette stuff, primarily because it’s inexpensive, easy to get, and frees up a lot of labor time. Of course they’re good parts also. Splined sway bars are also very cool – and very adjustable. If you’re on a track every weekend, and have the patience to really tune with different bars, it’s a useful device. If you’re not competing for blood, a regular bar works just great – the bent bars we use are sized specifically to provide a certain amount of roll resistance with our suspension design.. yea, I guess you could say it’s a “matched” component – to the suspension though, on an average-weight car – a 3000lb car is a bit stiff with the bar, while a 4000lb car could use a bit more. We tested lots of sizes on the road and in the software, and the current size was the best compromise between roll resistance and driver comfort. I could make more sizes, but the cost of them would go up, which is always a key priority. If you want to pay, I’d be happy to make up a specific bar thats closer to your need. No big deal.
Is the use of aluminum a great marketing ploy? Yep. Is it better? Nope. Using aluminum requires thicker sections, which puts the weight of the items similar to that of comparable strength steel – it’s popular with oem’s because it’s cheaper to manufacture than steel. Ditto for the all-popular chrome-moly stuff out there – after you add threaded ends, balljoints, shocks, rack, ect, the tubing itself is a tiny fraction of the overall weight – did you know a magnum system is only 5lbs lighter than the heavy-wall, mild steel alterktion? Just 5lbs lighter. I know this because I have a few of them here that we had to replace for customers – I wont say why we took them out, or how many a year I replace, but you’d be shocked. Speaking of, those people like to mention how the alterktion has very little wheel travel. In fact, we have 5.5” of wheel travel, which is 1” more than magnum. I can also state that Johns choice of shock length in order to have bumpstops is the silliest statement I’ve heard in a while. The bumpstops are a common item, and in race circles, they’re more used as additional “springs” at the limit of wheel travel, not so much as bottom-out protectors – I have a box full here if anyone needs them. Just an off the shelf shock length too I’m sure – 5” travel it looks to be, with the extended top. Doesn’t matter what the valving is – without corner weights the valving is still just a guess. Although the AFCO, er… XV shocks are a good quality piece. The Ididit, er..I mean XV columns look nice too, except you may not know this John, but a lot of people are telling me they’re far from a bolt-in. Perhaps you’re forgetting to tell people about the GM wiring plugs on them? Might want to revise the sales pitch a tad. Oh wait, there was that comment about the modern sealed, large diameter bearings. Come on now – how many guys are building these cars for a 200 lap race? And more importantly, if the corvette spindles had regular bearing sizes, would you have designed bigger bearings? I doubt it. It’s just the basic vette bearing that fits the off the shelf a-arms and spindles you’re using, nothing more.
Speaking of…about that initial bulleted sales pitch on the first page..
--- The first one, designed for street/handling – ditto
---- Next, impossible – “dialed in” is a silly statement – what did you dial? XV phone home.. LOL Although I can admit it’s a great term to use when you want to be impressive without actually saying anything.
---- Next one – track tested, street tested – ditto – in fact, some of my early systems have over 60,000 miles on the original parts, including bushings and rod ends – yep even the rod ends that some seem to think will explode in the presence of a public highway – it’s not the part, it’s the type of part that matters. The parts we make now are at least 300% better than the first ones we did, so durability hasn’t been a question in years.
---- mandrel bent frame – you mean mandrel bent crossbar…just one piece. Does non-mandrel bending ruin things? Nope. In fact, with square material, it creates stiffening ribs on the inside radius, creating a part that actually stronger than a comparable mandrel bent piece. Mandrel looks a little bit nicer, but it’s certainly nothing to have a party about.
--- 4-post rig for shocks/spring rates – see paragraph above.
--- sway bars – see above.
--- geometry – you could’ve saved A LOT of money if you used the $1000 software like everyone else and finished with a bit more road testing – same results, just takes a month or two longer, and you’d be able to use more technical terms than “dialed in”….
---- variable rate racks are cool, but not a very big deal. We only use MII manual racks. The power racks we use were designed for SCCA use in certain class vehicles and perform about as good as anything on the market right now. In fact, they work well enough that we often find ourselves at odds with 5 major producers of ford/chevy suspension systems, as we’re all needing large numbers of the same rack – if these racks were flawed in any way, every highway in the country would be littered with broken muscle cars by now.
--- chassis stiffening – different subject, see above.
--- bumpsteer adjustment – we use existing points to mount everything without any fab work after the sale, so we could easily design the system without bumpsteer and eliminate one more issue for the customer. If you want to add bumpsteer characteristics for track use, cut the welded part down and I’ll send a cool little spacer kit to adjust with. I don’t recommend it, but if that’s what you want…… speaking off, I can also adjust the height of the rack with certain bolt-on pieces I carry here, so if it’s bump adjustment you want, anything’s possible. Un-necessary, but possible.
----- Yep, killer shocks you have, no doubt. Valving, see above, but they’re good shocks no matter how you look at it. We’ve been using AFCO shocks for 5 years now as an optional item, the only problem was, until this year, they weren’t capable of the volumes we needed to use them exclusively, so we had to “settle” for QA1. Lucky you don’t sell much, or you would have been in a bind last year. Although, we dyno’d some QA1’s during the testing, and we all agreed they’re a great shock, especially for the street/handling crowd. Very strange actually – last year everyone on this board was scoffing at the thought of a $150 shock – now they’re demanding $400 ones. Weird people indeed.
--computer modeled brakes specifically for the intended load – what’s the load? If your car weighed 3400lbs, your special brakes with be under-par for the 4200lbs hemi cuda, and if they’re made for a 4200lb car, they’ll be way too ,much for a 3400lb car – right? I mean, if they were SPECIFICALLY designed for a particular application under a particular load, what particular weight car, with what particular coefficient of friction tires will they precisely work on as they’re intended? No one is mentioning a master cylinder in these conversations, which is the primary piece of any brake system – bore size will make or break a good system. Is a matched master part of the level 2 brake kit? Other than that perfect car, seems to me they’d only be as good as the “off the shelf” kits that I can already get and service. Front to rear bias is affected by so many variables it’s impossible to design that specifically for anything other the car in front of you on the piece of road it’s sitting on. Brake companies already design rule of thumb piston sizes front and rear, so I don’t have to worry about it – the big race cars you claim to duplicate use adjustable prop valves for brake bias, and so do the rest of us.

---3-link rear. Ya got me on that one. It’s the most effective suspension for a road racing type of car, but not because it’s bind-free – it’s because you can easily adjust the roll center and anti-squat characteristics. You’re a racer John, I KNOW you know this – why not say it? All this proprietary, top-secret stuff is getting weird. I’m choosing triangulated 4 bar stuff because it’s easy to install, well balanced with modern front suspension, and easy to adjust for alignment purposes. I have to design in the roll center and anti-squat dimensions, so that will be non adjustable, but as long as it’s designed correctly, all but the most competitive top-class cars will have very successful results with it…and they can keep the stock floor. My choice of not building a 3-link has nothing to do with lack of knowledge, and everything to do with what makes sense for home builders to work with.

I’ll also add that good steering cars were in style long before you popped up on the radar with your TV show, and long before I popped up 9 years ago(are you that arrogant to think you started some trend that we're all scrambling to follow?) – we’ve been building cars that steer for 8 years, over 1000 systems in use in 19 countries, tens of thousands of all-weather street miles, raced on nearly every track in America, not to mention a few tracks verified in Switzerland, Germany, France, Norway, Brazil and who knows where else. In fact, the pivot design on the lower control arms was a direct result of track testing by a Swiss racer. We also have free access to engineering departments at 6 different motor sports manufacturers in all aspects of vehicle design. We don’t have to make appointments and we don’t call camera crews – I can just call whenever I feel like going over design ideas, and all kinds of friendly engineers are happy to help. Full analysis of whatever runs through my head is just a fax away. No trumpets blowing, no walmart-sized show rooms, just plain ole parts that work. If that’s not enough proof, you guys will never have enough. As for my disclaimer of off-road use, it’s common across the aftermarket to protect against insurance lawsuits. Look at parts when you buy them – 90% of them state off-highway use in one form or another. If you run a red light in your super bee and kill somebody, everybody gets sued, from the company that made your sunglasses all the way down to the company that made your tires – unless the company has a disclaimer, and even at that it can be a very expensive journey. I’m not losing my house because some doofus talking on a cell phone didn’t see a red light under his sunvisor. If I lose Devil’s sale because of it, no problem – I’d rather keep my house than gain a sale.
ALSO NOTE – THERE IS NO DOT-CERT for chassis parts – NONE – only flexible brake lines. This is good to remember when you see some brake companies spouting about their DOT approved calipers. Pure scam, you know who you are.

And let me also add, John, that you might notice I had nothing to say up until this point – I kept my mouth shut for over a year about my opinions, assuming we’re all respectable people and could let the parts speak for themselves. I hate conflict, and avoid it whenever possible, which is why I rarely post on forums any more. You say you wont pick apart the other companies here, but today, 3 different people called me to order suspensions, and all three mentioned salespeople at XV going on about how flawed the RMS stuff is – YOUR salespeople, whoever they are, forced me to speak up. I got the 3 sales regardless, but it really ticked me off that I’ve kept silent about XV through all this dog and pony show baloney, and ended up in your rumor-mongering crosshairs anyway. Why does everyone have to create drama where there was none? So if any of the above irritates you, keep in mind I was perfectly happy staying quietly under the radar until your staff started making the rude remarks. And to be honest, I’m just not impressed at all that the whole car needs to be butchered up – people would be better served by a Morrison Max-G chassis for that kind of dough and fab work. If you have to cut the car to pieces to install a “kit”, it’s not a very well designed kit. You might as well add the full-frame benefits and go all the way.
Does the XV level 2 system work? I have no doubts it performs flawlessly, but there isn’t much impressive about the design over the RMS, except that you have to cut and weld for 50 or so hours, and I’m not so arrogant to think my parts are sprinkled with magic dust. If you can pop 30k to have a level 2 installed by someone qualified, go for it, but is all that necessary to run circles around a vette? Certainly not. Unless the car is identical to the tested car, the matched components are no better than similar quality shelf units. All else is so close to being equal, pitting one system against the other would result in similar results.
In the beginning, you stated clearly you had no interest in pitting your parts against others, and had no interest in talking about it because you’re gearing your systems for the high-buck cars, not the low-end customers we cater to, as if the budget minded crowd and the companies that sell parts to them aren’t good enough to even warrant your attention. Now it seems, you and your crew are getting quite aggressive trying to discredit us, since you couldn’t really prove you were better. I’m not paying the builders to stick with us, they’re choosing to. Hundreds of repeat customers, many on 3, 4, 5 or more systems now, just aren’t wrong. They all know about XV, spoke to people on the phone, looked at your information….and called us to order another one. Not my choice – theirs - so what's with all the bad mouthing?

…Proprietary geometry LOL gimme a break. The pictures in this post alone are enough to figure out the curves in that system. There are fewer morons here than you think.

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: Bill_Reilly] #47111
11/07/07 02:30 AM
11/07/07 02:30 AM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Very well put Bill. I have followed this thread because I am a friend of Bill's, and there are few more honest folks in this hobby. I am not an owner of an AlterK and it is doubtful that I will ever own anybody's aftermarket suspension system due to the way I like to build a car.

I have seen Bill build a customer base by providing over the top customer service and being a perfectionist about quality. That is the reason his customers continue to order. It fits, it works, the first time.

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: feets] #47112
11/07/07 08:05 AM
11/07/07 08:05 AM
Wichita,KS
B
Blakcharger440 Offline
top fuel
Blakcharger440  Offline
top fuel
B

Wichita,KS
Quote:

does it have to be a package deal? I can understand required components such as springs when you get the shocks. What about other things?
Do you offer the stiffening pieces separately? What about offering the K frame and rack together and allowing the user to source the related mass-produced items such as the GM suspension parts and more cost effective shocks and springs?

Many people on this board have over $20,000 in their cars but not very many of them dropped that cash all at once.

I was thinking the same thing. Alot more people could afford it that way and have it be more budget friendly.

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: Bill_Reilly] #47113
11/07/07 08:49 AM
11/07/07 08:49 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
A couple of comments of note worth mentioning in my book:

Quote:

" I love chatting about suspension in general, and a lively debate is fun"

" I’m awfully shocked that so many people are star-struck by that video, while never seeing the obvious."

"Some people, actually most people these days, think that because something has an important job, it has to be complicated and analyzed by million-dollar computers."

"Once a part is strong enough to withstand it’s intended use, going further is silly. "

"Is the use of aluminum a great marketing ploy? Yep. Is it better? Nope. Using aluminum requires thicker sections, which puts the weight of the items similar to that of comparable strength steel"

"very strange actually – last year everyone on this board was scoffing at the thought of a $150 shock – now they’re demanding $400 ones. Weird people indeed. "

"As for my disclaimer of off-road use, it’s common across the aftermarket to protect against insurance lawsuits."

" ALSO NOTE – THERE IS NO DOT-CERT for chassis parts – NONE – only flexible brake lines."

"but it really ticked me off that I’ve kept silent about XV through all this dog and pony show baloney, and ended up in your rumor-mongering crosshairs anyway. Why does everyone have to create drama where there was none? "

"I’m not so arrogant to think my parts are sprinkled with magic dust."
Quote:

Last edited by jcclark; 11/07/07 08:50 AM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: hemiallen] #47114
11/07/07 10:25 AM
11/07/07 10:25 AM
Long Island, NY USA
B
BergmanAutoCraft Offline
master
BergmanAutoCraft  Offline
master
B

Long Island, NY USA
"They all know about XV, spoke to people on the phone, looked at your information….and called us to order another one. Not my choice – theirs - so what's with all the bad mouthing?"

I, for one, have spoken to Bill many times before being with XV, on a variety of issues. He has spent the time on many occassions, more than I can say about many vendors.

However, to be accused of "bad mouthing" is upsetting. This is like a game of telephone, and is not appreciated. The environemnt XV provides is a professional one, where customers often spend lots of time asking questions in detail about our systems. We do our best to answer questions and call back customers when we do not have an answer. In fact, many customers are surprised that we actually call them many times, when they inquire through our site.We are never "rushed" off the phones to make a sale either.

The fact that XV has taken the time and spent the money to create a brand is something no one has done in terms of the Mopar aftermarket, no need for bashing this fact either. We are proud of our product and realize it is not for everyone, which is why there is something called competition.

In the end, the customer wins.

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: Bill_Reilly] #47115
11/07/07 10:50 AM
11/07/07 10:50 AM
The Pale Blue Dot
Skeptic Offline
master
Skeptic  Offline
master

The Pale Blue Dot
Thank you Bill.

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: Bill_Reilly] #47116
11/07/07 11:24 AM
11/07/07 11:24 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Ok, I'll bite. That's correct, I don't post much here anymore. My experience here has been that while most people ask questions, they already "know" what they're talking about and only want to read replies that reinforce what they believe. If anyone contradicts what they believe, it turns into a firestorm - I love chatting about suspension in general, and a lively debate is fun, but plain ole' arguing is not for me, so I avoid it.

Truncated your post...

Bill,

I don't like to argue either and have not posted about our Level II here in over a year. Perhaps I should have kept more closer to my chest and disclosed less. While you obviously are upset by this thread, I've been taken over the coals here previously and purposely not posted about our setup here at all, largely by customers of yours.

Your opinion and mine will obviously be different and I won't try and do a tit-for-tat point by point debate here, but I will make a few comments.

You mention the average guy. Well, the average guy doesn't have the time or the ability to dial in his setup and that is why we defined specific packages. If we're talking about real racers, yes they are a whole other breed in terms of what they do. However, I haven't come across any real hardcore racers running these cars. We've talked to many who run other platforms and thought about building a classic Mopar. For these guys we can offer any spring rate they want and shocks are already adjustable. For the average guy, I'm very comfortable offering packages that are setup already.

Reality is there is HUGE value in having matched components, tested to work together as a complete package - FRONT AND REAR. The typical guy has a hodge podge of parts from multiple vendors that bear no relation with one another.

It's easy to chalk it all up to hype, that's what was done here before: 'It's all hype, who needs the technology, no benefit in using engineers that have done this for F1, IRL, the OE's, etc., etc.'. If I thought your stuff was so great I wouldn't have spent the time or money to do what we did. We set out primarily to build cars. I wouldn't have wasted $1 if I thought your setup would get us where we wanted to be. I also have alot of seat time open road racing at over 200 MPH and I can tell you there's no way I'd risk my butt with your setup doing that - and that's the truth.

You're coming at this like you have all the answers, but I have to wonder if all these racers are tuning your setup so precisely, how is it they are all running leaf springs on the thousand plus setups you have out there. These are road racers?

All those tools are worthless? Yeah I guess that's why the top race teams use them and the OE's use them for their halo cars. But, you know everything about what can be done on a four post rig or what OE level suspension design software can do. Think it was all for show - easy to say that when you haven't seen it first hand or used it. Ask Rick Ehrenberg, we took him there so he could see first hand what it was and how it worked.

Chassis stiffening? If everyone had all the answers forever and knew, why hadn't anyone offered anything other than subs before? Testing was clearly a waste of time there on our part, to actually know what worked and what didn't - yeah we tried more than one combination. We saw crazy dash/cowl shake on four post rig that disappeared completely after the stiffening was done. Yeah all of this was known forever. This is reserved for racers? - it's needed on the street!

Stiffer K doesn't matter?

I wrote and deleted much as I don't want to go back and forth, on shocks, weld-in vs bolt in, brakes-LOL, rear design, bump-stops, etc., etc.

Steering columns - changing a connector is harder than fabricating brackets? We've never told anyone the connector would plug right in. We have connectors you can plug the existing wires into. The alternatives have no key on column for apps that need them and you need to fabricate all the brackets. Wiring - come on...

Alot of this stuff comes from big hassles we have building cars. Columns were a major PITA, especially with our Level II as there isn't adequate support on the bottom of the columns for a rack - you've addressed that since day one right? So we had columns made up to our spec that ARE bolt in and have roller bearings in the bottom of the column. Wiring connector? That would be a great way to drive the price up on them and how many combinations would we need to support.

Bill, say whatever you want, no way, no how is your setup at the level of ours. It's easy to chalk up all that we did as smoke and mirrors. As far as saying we never cared about the average guy, we have a Level I suspension that fits anyone's budget and that we'll soon offer as components. You're saying our attitude was that low buck didn't warrant our attention - Level I was targeted squarely at that market. However, to have a very big dollar setup and try to sell it to the guy on a budget would have been incredibly stupid - it's being realistic, rather than saying anyone is worthy or not. You think we just did a carb'd 5.7 HEMI kit for guys with unlimited budgets?

You've said it yourself, your setup is targeted to "the low-end customers we cater to". Well we've targeted that as well as real high end. I think what you're not willing to acknowledge and others here aren't fully aware of, is there are different levels of quality at the component level. You can tell me all day long Mustang II stuff is fine, but it has issues; maybe you aren't aware of them. It was never on our list of possible components to use.

If you're telling me that you can do the same thing as guys who do work for F1, ALMS, NASCAR, IRL, the OE's, campaigned cars at the 24 hours of LeMans, designed for Ford complete GrandAm (which won the championships) and complete GTP cars, then I think you need a reality check. No value in us benefitting from that at all? I still don't see how you address the handling of a car just by looking at one end of the vehicle - not like the back of these cars was something great to begin with.

You ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT that for many applications it may not make a difference for some of this stuff. But that does not mean it is the same and it does not mean it can perform at the same levels, epecially on a (road) race track. Does everyone need that, obviously not. It also doesn't mean that there are'nt people who do want it and do recognize differences.

Bill, irrespective of the foregoing I apologize if you think I stepped over the line and I have held back wildly on this response. I'll speak to my people here about what they communicate to people inquiring. However, we're not going to say it's just as good or there aren't material differences. You have happy customers and there is a place for your product, which is obviously much better than the MF setup. I've never said otherwise - but I didn', and wouldn't, buy it for what I was looking to do. Today the detemining factors are what people plan on doing with the car and their budget. Budget we'll start addressing now, but I know we'll largely still be more than you on the cost side because of the pieces we use. People want a more cost effective version of our stuff, happy to do what I can to deliver it.

You can say whatever you want, but no one has brought the level of product to this market segment that we have, and will continue to do. We've launched more new products in the past year and a half for Mopars than anyone, and that isn't ending any time soon either as there are always multiple projects going on here. If we're able to make more of our higher end products within the reach of more people and offer more options, I'm happy to do it, not what you want to hear, but it's clear that many want us to and my goal is to meet the needs of markets as best we can.

Again, sorry if you think I went too far, but there's also alot we have done with this and very little not for specific reasons.

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: Bill_Reilly] #47117
11/07/07 01:39 PM
11/07/07 01:39 PM
St Louis MO
K
Keith C Offline
Keith C  Offline
K

St Louis MO
Bill you seem like a class act. Hats off to you!!

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: feets] #47118
11/07/07 01:59 PM
11/07/07 01:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Chassis stiffening has always been available as individual pieces.

Some of the other pieces can create problems, i.e. shocks not being correct size, the mounts not right, etc. I can see alot of headaches we would have to support on that. Brakes are already separate.

We'll get creative as we go through this - You might say I've been inspired to make it more competitively priced. Some of it is really easy to get the price down on. Others don't make sense, but would make it cheaper. We still have more pieces on the way that'll fit anyone's budget and I'm not aware anyone's ever offered.

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end #47119
11/07/07 06:07 PM
11/07/07 06:07 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
You've spoken about your brake setup being designed for the car.
What's wrong with what I've done? I nabbed the brake hardware off a high end high performance car that is heavier than the hot rod. My thinking was that Mercedes wasn't going to flake out on the brakes used on $150,000+ cars. It had to be decent stuff. They spent FAR more money and time figuring out the brakes than what some independant shop would have done.

The hardware definately does the job. I haven't been able to cook the brakes on this setup and it's not for lack of trying.
The car hasn't been on a road course yet but I'm not worried about the brakes fading or failing.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: feets] #47120
11/07/07 07:04 PM
11/07/07 07:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

You've spoken about your brake setup being designed for the car.
What's wrong with what I've done? I nabbed the brake hardware off a high end high performance car that is heavier than the hot rod. My thinking was that Mercedes wasn't going to flake out on the brakes used on $150,000+ cars. It had to be decent stuff. They spent FAR more money and time figuring out the brakes than what some independant shop would have done.

The hardware definately does the job. I haven't been able to cook the brakes on this setup and it's not for lack of trying.
The car hasn't been on a road course yet but I'm not worried about the brakes fading or failing.

The company that does these for us ran models to design the entire system (including master cylinder) for the cars. They have their own proprietary models to optimize the balance of the vehicle under hard braking. They do this by sizing the entire setup, including piston size in the calipers and it does work as they intended.

When I first met with them I asked about balance with the proportioning valve and they told me that the best way was to design the balance into the system itself for a platform.

So our setup was designed for our platforms, not off the shelf, and does work really well.

Their stuff is really nice, but probably more than is needed for many applications. However, it is race winning stuff in actual competition, on BMW's and the like.

We can easily offer something for less money that will work well. But we'll still have the over the top stuff for those that want it.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11