09/13/09 09:46 PM
Rock Springs
Bob_Coomer Offline OP
master
Bob_Coomer  Offline OP
master

Rock Springs
OK
I have found A painter for my car, he came out and looked at the car, and we chatted for about 3 hours. He is out of work right now, and doesnt have much on his plate. I have seen his work before, he is the type of guy, that will give you what you want. I know of cars he has painted for $500 total. Cheapy paint jobs that look good for a little while.
But he can lay down some nice paint. He has over 20 years experience paint, and autobody. He is actually a old friend of my Father-in-laws.
Anyways
He has quoted me $1200 for labor. Which I think is a great deal. We have priced out paint, etc...looks like we can get it done for under $2K.
He insisted on a econo line from Dupont (nason, or mason?)
Anyways here is a few priced products.
-$200 for a gallon of red base coat paint.
-$200 for the Good Chromo clear
-$130 for a gallon of fill primer
he has also priced on some Value shade, and some sealer etc....
Looks like it will be in the $700-$800 range for materials...
He said he will knock it out very quick...
3-4 weeks tops....He is getting the car by the middle of the week.
He assured me it will be slick, I plan to take a a guy with me before the actual base coat will get applied to inspect or decide if anything need addressed or changed...
The car will look good, again this is a race car, and function is what its about...
I will post picks and updates when possible.. I havent looked back through the thread, but I remember some people thinking that material alone would be $3k...LOL

[color:"red"]65 Hemi Belvedere coming soon [/color]
[color:"#00FF00"]557" Indy engine 1.07 60ft 144mph in the 8th 2100 lbs package [/color]
Re: Paint job for a race car? [Re: Bob_Coomer] #423192
09/13/09 10:00 PM
09/13/09 10:00 PM
ky
68roadrunner Offline
super stock
68roadrunner  Offline
super stock

ky
i painted a service truck with that nason paint. it was very durable and held up very well with the truck being outside all its life. with a little elbow grease it shined like new. i know nothing about paint, but would paint my race car with it

Re: Paint job for a race car? [Re: Bob_Coomer] #423193
09/14/09 08:55 AM
09/14/09 08:55 AM
oh
julian2007 Offline
super stock
julian2007  Offline
super stock

oh
I don't see anything about epoxy primer or etch primer in your material list it is the hart and sole of a good long lasting paint job it is about 250.00 for a setup 800.00 sounds very cheep there is still masking paper,tape,tack cloths,clean up thinner,pre cleaner,scotch bright,sand paper,filler,base coat reducer,base coat hardner,sealer,sealer hardner,sealer reducer, the list goes on and on.Unless he is donating those things to get the job and he still has a good size electric bill from the fans and compressor to pay, don't sound like much prophet left in the end.make sure of what you are getting for that price if he is planning on putting fill primer over bare metal to save money you will be repainting it the first time it gets any water sprayed on it like rain or washing.If it gets a chip in it rust will run under the paint like a scared rabbit.Not trying to pee in your cheerios but 700-800 just will not get it for ALL of the proper materials for a lasting paint job.
Good luck,Bruce

Last edited by julian2007; 09/14/09 10:06 AM.
Re: Paint job for a race car? [Re: julian2007] #423194
09/14/09 11:12 AM
09/14/09 11:12 AM
Rock Springs
Bob_Coomer Offline OP
master
Bob_Coomer  Offline OP
master

Rock Springs
Quote:

I don't see anything about epoxy primer or etch primer in your material list it is the hart and sole of a good long lasting paint job it is about 250.00 for a setup 800.00 sounds very cheep there is still masking paper,tape,tack cloths,clean up thinner,pre cleaner,scotch bright,sand paper,filler,base coat reducer,base coat hardner,sealer,sealer hardner,sealer reducer, the list goes on and on.Unless he is donating those things to get the job and he still has a good size electric bill from the fans and compressor to pay, don't sound like much prophet left in the end.make sure of what you are getting for that price if he is planning on putting fill primer over bare metal to save money you will be repainting it the first time it gets any water sprayed on it like rain or washing.If it gets a chip in it rust will run under the paint like a scared rabbit.Not trying to pee in your cheerios but 700-800 just will not get it for ALL of the proper materials for a lasting paint job.
Good luck,Bruce

IDK
there isnt anything to mask up on the car though. No glass,trim,interior what so ever. No chrome, tail lights etc.
He said he had some supply's left over from previous jobs. He didnt say what, I will be picking up the supplies, so we will see.

[color:"red"]65 Hemi Belvedere coming soon [/color]
[color:"#00FF00"]557" Indy engine 1.07 60ft 144mph in the 8th 2100 lbs package [/color]
Re: Paint job for a race car? [Re: Bob_Coomer] #423195
09/14/09 11:26 AM
09/14/09 11:26 AM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

OK
I have found A painter for my car, he came out and looked at the car, and we chatted for about 3 hours. He is out of work right now, and doesnt have much on his plate. I have seen his work before, he is the type of guy, that will give you what you want. I know of cars he has painted for $500 total. Cheapy paint jobs that look good for a little while.
But he can lay down some nice paint. He has over 20 years experience paint, and autobody. He is actually a old friend of my Father-in-laws.
Anyways
He has quoted me $1200 for labor. Which I think is a great deal. We have priced out paint, etc...looks like we can get it done for under $2K.
He insisted on a econo line from Dupont (nason, or mason?)
Anyways here is a few priced products.
-$200 for a gallon of red base coat paint.
-$200 for the Good Chromo clear
-$130 for a gallon of fill primer
he has also priced on some Value shade, and some sealer etc....
Looks like it will be in the $700-$800 range for materials...
He said he will knock it out very quick...
3-4 weeks tops....He is getting the car by the middle of the week.
He assured me it will be slick, I plan to take a a guy with me before the actual base coat will get applied to inspect or decide if anything need addressed or changed...
The car will look good, again this is a race car, and function is what its about...
I will post picks and updates when possible.. I havent looked back through the thread, but I remember some people thinking that material alone would be $3k...LOL

it all depends on the quality of the products you buy Bob. you can get a gallon of paint from summit for under a $100 . I would make up a written contract if I were you. just to protect yourself

Re: Paint job for a race car? [Re: Bob_Coomer] #423196
09/14/09 12:42 PM
09/14/09 12:42 PM
oh
julian2007 Offline
super stock
julian2007  Offline
super stock

oh
Quote:

Quote:

Good luck,Bruce

IDK
there isnt anything to mask up on the car though. No glass,trim,interior what so ever. No chrome, tail lights etc.
He said he had some supply's left over from previous jobs. He didnt say what, I will be picking up the supplies, so we will see.

paper and tape is the least of the cost you are going to well over 1000.00 in materials if it is done correctly

God made cold beer,good friends,hot ladies and race cars don't spit in his face by pi$$ing and moaning about how life sucks!!!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4