Print Thread
suspension w big block #421718
07/28/09 01:16 PM
07/28/09 01:16 PM
Tacoma, Washington
slammed39 Offline OP
slammed39  Offline OP

Tacoma, Washington
So here's my ? For ya guys who's run stock front suspension components w a big block I'm looking at using fatman dropped uprights stock control arms air bags and using a disc brake conversion w a 440 big block any concerns? Or issues anyone can think of? Thanks for the info....
Btw also have fatman mustang 2 crossmember and gussets and strut rod mounts and spring perches for sale 200 new never used.... Thanks

Rob

Re: suspension w big block [Re: slammed39] #421719
07/28/09 01:45 PM
07/28/09 01:45 PM
Escondido, CA. Ron Podsiadly,...
Mopar Ron Offline
master
Mopar Ron  Offline
master

Escondido, CA. Ron Podsiadly,...
This is just my Opinion and does not answer your question.
But If you already have a fatman mustang II frontend (as you say for sale) "WHY" would you go with 70 year old technology with the stock front end????
In over 30+ years of rod building I have only done 1 car with the modified stock front end and have done dozens with aftermarket front ends like mustang II,volare' and dakota.

again,just my opinion but I think the mustang front end would be the better way to go
it may take a little more work to do it but it has so many more options in brakes, A arms, rack and pinion, springs and air ride over the stock style frontend.
Good luck in whatever way you deiced to go. Ron....

Last edited by Mopar Ron; 07/28/09 01:50 PM.
Re: suspension w big block [Re: Mopar Ron] #421720
07/28/09 02:54 PM
07/28/09 02:54 PM
Tacoma, Washington
slammed39 Offline OP
slammed39  Offline OP

Tacoma, Washington
I'm thinking going that route for several reasons one being up front cost I can buy pieces here n there. For stock stuff ... Also the fatman must 2 stuff involves cutting off the entire front end my limited skill and learning I find that to be too big of a project for me to tackle at this time by myself...I've looked at doing frame swaps or front clips and seems to me that just using a modified independent front suspension would work just as well w less up front cost and risk of me botching something up..

Re: suspension w big block [Re: slammed39] #421721
07/28/09 04:29 PM
07/28/09 04:29 PM
Thayer, MO
B
bohmer2 Offline
pro stock
bohmer2  Offline
pro stock
B

Thayer, MO
I am not sure you are going to be saving yourself any cost upfront with your current approach.

1. with the Mustang II front end you may not need to cut the entire front section off. You should be able to buy a cross member which can be installed inside your current frame sections.
Also you can buy parts in pieces for the MII as well, after all the only thing you need to start is a cross member which may only be a $300-$400 investment. Then you can go junk yarding for some of the parts as well.

2. Parts wise it will likely always be cheaper for the Mustang II parts (more options) than the Stock parts.

3. Options and more options in terms of drop, air bags, and big block springs.

There are people that are doing just the cross member swaps and companies that offer cross member swaps for tons of frames.

Here is just an example:
MII IFS Cross members

Re: suspension w big block [Re: bohmer2] #421722
07/28/09 05:36 PM
07/28/09 05:36 PM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
Big dad has said that when all costs are considered, they are about a wash. I usually say keep the stock stuff if you are doing a mild build, but in your case, I think the MII might be the better way.

MII
+ plenty of options with ride height track width, air bags and readily available components and kits. Also has rack and pinion factory engineered from the start. Able to beef up the proven design to handle current speeds and weight.
- having to do major frame work and proper welding. First buy-in cost could be higher if going with a full kit with lots of options, but this can be spread out too.

Stock with dropped uprights, shock mount, disc conversion, rack and pinion swap, and air bag conversion
+ no frame work, only welding for the shock mounts maybe the steering, and maybe the lower control arms for the air bags and lowering, No sheetmetal fitting after.

- old technology never designed for 75+ MPH, old harder to find suspension parts, stuck with track width and frame height, all the mods come from different sources so little to no support, spending almost as much or the same for less handling, and probably less resale value. More restricted fitting, since the MII frame stubs can be designed for a bigger radiator, easier exhaust routing and starter access.

Re: suspension w big block [Re: RodStRace] #421723
07/28/09 07:44 PM
07/28/09 07:44 PM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
Since you are in the area of these folks

www.jimmeyerracing.com ..

Contact them with local people that can do a swap for you, At the same time they can mock up a 440 for you, etc .

The biggest issues on the "later" pre-war and post war frames is the stock spring pockets really cut into your stock frame and they have a taper that makes a swap a bit harder

And, the starter being where is is makes the steering shaft a bit difficult to plan around, just have to put some extra thoughts on it

Comes down to skil, tools and place to do it at

Mine turned out well but, it was a challenge to make it correct

The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating.Proverbs 18:6
Re: suspension w big block [Re: bigdad] #421724
07/28/09 10:32 PM
07/28/09 10:32 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
The flathead 6 that was pulled out of your car probably weighs about the same as a 440, so the extra weight won't be an issue.

As far as which way to go????? A modified stock suspension can be made to work. Key words "made to work". You will be the guy that has to modify it to work. The aftermarket suspensions have already been modified to work, your paying for that work, then it sounds like you will have to pay to get it installed. When its all done, you are the guy that has to determine if it was a good move. I'd venture to say, nearly all of use that have been through a few cars have all modified a stock suspension to make it work. The 2nd time around, we try something else, the 3rd time we try something still different. At some point we decide which system works the best for us, and tend to stick to that. When someone asks, we skip all the details and tell which way was the best for us.

I was told when I built my first car that I would build at least 3 cars before I got what I wanted. I'm way past that and still don't know which one I really want, but given that you will probably build 3 cars, I think everyone should modify a stock suspension system at least once.

The thing I don't get is the air bag thing. Most guy do them so the can lay the car on the ground (or close to it) with the bags deflated. Bags, lines, and compressors all can fail at any time. If the car lays on the frame when the bags are deflated, it will lay on the frame when something blows out. Bags were originally intended to aid in caring extra weight, not carring the entire weight, and they were not designed to be defalted and inflated every time the vehical is moved, the rubber hardens and eventually fails. Its only a matter of when. No thanks, give me real springs. Gene

Re: suspension w big block [Re: poorboy] #421725
07/29/09 12:09 AM
07/29/09 12:09 AM
Tacoma, Washington
slammed39 Offline OP
slammed39  Offline OP

Tacoma, Washington
So sounds like 6 of one half dozen of the other.. I've looked into going full frame. And subframes. But those are cost prohibitive for me... The mustang 2 stuff is what I originally wanted to do.. However after finding I have to cut the front of the frame off I've decided I shouldn't do that I'm gonna do most all work to this car I know it will never be perfect but it will be my first and ill be able to say its my own... Unlike people that go out and buy a done care and try to claim they built it. I'm a mechanic by trade so most of it will be no problem its the welding of structure I don't wanna do yet... As far as bags I am aware of the risks of them I work for the local transit agency and I deal w airbag related failures..but knowing this I'm prepared for it...I appreciate all the help and yes I will be doing at least 3 cars I'm sure as I have a 48 bus coupe I wanna build too.... Anyone in wa state? Thanks
Rob