A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I thought it would be less time...?

i'm ganna mix it and see what you mean.

hey Marq: It's still raining!!!!! 4 days so far; maybe the car'll be painted in October (I hate NY)

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36735
06/13/07 10:34 PM
06/13/07 10:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

so...

"technically" I am finished my 3rd coat. I "plan" to wetsand tomorrow with 800grit. Do I "need" to sand the whole car down?

Or can I "get away" with sanding "parts" of the car that look bad and has lines?

Sorry for using those " ", I found it funny for some reason...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36736
06/13/07 11:15 PM
06/13/07 11:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

so...

"technically" I am finished my 3rd coat. I "plan" to wetsand tomorrow with 800grit. Do I "need" to sand the whole car down?

Or can I "get away" with sanding "parts" of the car that look bad and has lines?

Sorry for using those " ", I found it funny for some reason...

yes u "need" to sand the whole car. try to stay away from edges tho, i burned thru the edges so many times, thats probly the most annoying part of the whole job..

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36737
06/13/07 11:16 PM
06/13/07 11:16 PM
USA
_
_Scott_ Offline
_Scott_  Offline
_

USA
Quote:

is it possible to search archived threads?

I don't see a way to do that, but this forum has a feature I've never seen anywhere else... that is the "show all" feature (look in the lower right corner of the page, to the right of the page numbers.) This allows you to turn an 80 page thread into one BIG page. From there you can do a regular text search with CTRL+F through your browser (or whatever your browser calls it.)

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36738
06/13/07 11:36 PM
06/13/07 11:36 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I thought it would be less time...?

i'm ganna mix it and see what you mean.

hey Marq: It's still raining!!!!! 4 days so far; maybe the car'll be painted in October (I hate NY)

Hehehheh... believe me bro I know your pain. When I wanted to get that final coat on... the rain just would not stop. I thought we were facing a Noah's Ark type situation. And boy I was getting itchy waiting to get a clear shot at putting that coat of paint on. But nonetheless I kept waiting so that rain and humidity would not be the cause of any problems. I am glad I waited..

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36739
06/13/07 11:53 PM
06/13/07 11:53 PM
Oregon
FarDarter Offline
FarDarter  Offline

Oregon
Hey folks, I've been following this bad boy for a while now and planning the whole time to apply this technique to the ugly $750 Dart I bought. I've finally gotten around to starting and I'm doing just the trunk as a test. I've been working on the prep for a few weeks now and hopefully tonight will be the last coat of primer before final wetsanding and then paint.

I'm going with Rustoleum Professional in Gloss Black on top of Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer. I took the trunk down to bare metal to deal with dents and horribly checked paint (a repaint, I believe) but I'm hoping to avoid that on as much of the rest of the car as possible. When they say prep is 90% of a paint job they most certainly are not kidding... Black is unforgiving in what it will reveal of a prep job and for that reason I am being patient and meticulous. Nevertheless, I'm prepared to live with whatever imperfections may survive. I mean, for only a a hundred bucks...

Here are a few pics of the process so far. I was totally amazed when I thinned the primer out the first time, went to bed with it looking orange peely, and came back in the morning to find it looking just like it had been sprayed on. Hopefully the paint will act the same for me.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36740
06/14/07 01:14 AM
06/14/07 01:14 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

That is my recipe. I don't remember the exact ratio of Penetrol to the Brightside but the ratio is on the Penetrol can. The zhan cup is the little plastic paint viscosity measuring cup that came with a piece-of-crap electric sprayer that I bought years ago. I found that a reading of 25 seconds for the cup to empty to be pretty close to perfect for my painting style. The good part with the zhan cup method is that the 25 seconds to empty viscosity level seemed to work just fine on warmer days and also on cooler days as the viscosity is temp dependent.

Aussie Driver:
The Zahn cup is a great idea. Since it was first mentioned on the forum here, I've done some research and found out that Zahn cups come in different sizes. Any idea what size or number cup you have???

Here's some of the info I found:
http://www.gardco.com/pages/viscosity/zhancups/ez.html

http://www.paintcenter.org/rj/Dec02m.cfm
If you intend to measure the viscosity of organic coatings, you will want to purchase a Zahn #2 and/or a Zahn #3 viscosity cup. The Zahn #2 cup is intended for coatings that have a relatively low viscosity, generally in the range of 18 - 35 seconds. For high solids coatings you might find that the Zahn #2 cup is too insensitive and that viscosity measurements go well above 35 seconds. I have measured coatings with a Zahn #2 measurement well in excess of 1 minute. For these higher viscosity coatings I suggest that you use a Zahn #3 cup so that with the larger orifice at the bottom of the cup, you can bring the measurements back down to 18 - 35 seconds. The most important consideration in selecting between Zahn #2 and Zahn #3 is that you get a clear break in the paint stream as it effluxes from the cup. If you find that as the cup empties the paint stream stops and starts, and stops and starts again, then you are probably using a cup for which the orifice is too small, and you should probably go to the next higher cup number.

Someone might recommend that you use a Ford #4 cup instead of a Zahn cup. Before you purchase one or the other, here are some differences. The Ford #4 viscosity cup has a very much larger orifice than the Zahn cups, and for the most part they are used in paint or coating laboratories where more accurate measurements are required. They are well suited to laboratories, but probably are less convenient for paint production shops. If you have a mixing table in your paint shop and you want accurate viscosity measurements, then the Ford #4 cup is fine. But if your operation is not so critical of viscosity and if the painters are likely to forget to properly clean the cup after using it, the Zahn cups are probably your preferred choice because they are less expensive.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36741
06/14/07 02:00 AM
06/14/07 02:00 AM
Orange County, CA
J
Jolly_Raj_R Offline
Jolly_Raj_R  Offline
J

Orange County, CA
So... Summer is quickly approaching and as a first year teacher I'm looking forward to my first REAL summer vacation.. (one where I have enough money saved to not be eating Top Ramen for weeks at a time).. I'm thinking about rolling my car and my question is regarding mixing paints..

I've seen that Brightside (and Trem and Rusto) can be mixed to produce various colors.. Since my car is an original 881 Bright Blue METALLIC car I'm not going to be able to repaint it in its full glory until a few years down the line when I have cash saved up.. but in the meantime it's in need of something other than Krylon Ultra-Flat Black ($4.99 a can!) and rust.. For pictures and a really out of date description check out members.cox.net/~67barracuda .. And, although my fellow Barracuda Owners Group guys want to see it remain in primer (Satin Black a la the mustang that was posted here IS a possibility) I'm thinking of going obnoxious.. I'm hoping for a rollerized version of Sublime or Panther Pink.. I SUCK at visualization, though (the only guy lacking direction sense...) and I'm imagining Sublime would be a mix of yellow and blue.. Which blue from Brightside would be the best to start from? I'm a trial and error kind of guy when it comes to stuff like color mixing.. I just need to know what the best shade of blue would be since I don't want to buy all the multiple shades of blue Interlux has

Loving you in advance,

Raj
67 beatercuda
hoping to be a rollercuda this summer..

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36742
06/14/07 05:50 AM
06/14/07 05:50 AM
Texas
D
Daty Rogers Offline
World's Greatest Husband. I love you Robyn
Daty Rogers  Offline
D

Texas
Quote:

yes it is a wealth of information, but I'm already at the point where I know very well what I'm doing, but I just want quick answers to any questions that I may have. And I don't wanna skim through hundreds of pages to get the answer

Then do as some others and make mistakes that are already documented in this thread and ask why did it mess up on me?

Research costs are minimal compared to correcting mistakes you make that have already been made by others...

-Daty

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36743
06/14/07 05:56 AM
06/14/07 05:56 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Aussie Driver:
The Zahn cup is a great idea. Since it was first mentioned on the forum here, I've done some research and found out that Zahn cups come in different sizes. Any idea what size or number cup you have???

I have no idea what size my zhan cup is. It came with a really crappy electric sprayer and the cup is probably the only useful thing in the box. If the zhan cups that you have seen come with a flow rate guide then look up the flow rate that they recommend for auto/marine paint and give that a go.

My piece-of-crap sprayer instruction booklet recommended the 25 second flow rate for auto paints even though the stoopid thing couldn't even spray anything that I was aiming at (or even the ground) properly.....

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Jolly_Raj_R] #36744
06/14/07 06:01 AM
06/14/07 06:01 AM
Texas
D
Daty Rogers Offline
Daty Rogers  Offline
D

Texas
Quote:

thinking of going obnoxious.. I'm hoping for a rollerized version of Sublime or Panther Pink.. I SUCK at visualization, though (the only guy lacking direction sense...) and I'm imagining Sublime would be a mix of yellow and blue.. Which blue from Brightside would be the best to start from?

Grats on the vacation! I'd try a 60/40 mix of the yellow and saphire blue to get sublime. I'll ask DD if she has any ideas, she's learned in that stuff.

-Daty

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: _Scott_] #36745
06/14/07 09:52 AM
06/14/07 09:52 AM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Quote:

Quote:

is it possible to search archived threads?

I don't see a way to do that,

Try going to the tech/archives forum and at the bottom do a search for say (brightside paint) it gave me a bunch but only out of the archives.
BTW I don't know if this only works for mods but give it a try.
I'd guess because of the size of that thread you are going to get a whole bunch of hits

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69DartGT] #36746
06/14/07 02:00 PM
06/14/07 02:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I just wetsanded my car down today for the 4th coat.

Applied the 4th coat just an hour ago, its drying in the garage...

Looks really good! Not like Aussie Drivers Miata, but still darn good, we are making strides!

The current paint process is looking soo much better than the 1st, 2nd and 3rd coat. More glossy, little orange peel/bubbles and the whole car has more coverage (less patches of un-even color) meaning the paint is probably filling in gaps that need to be filled. Half of my hood that previously had cracking has no more. There is still more cracking on the roof, but we need to apply more coats! Finished 1quart of Brightside today as well. So if it takes 4 or more coats with only 1 quart, then I should technically end with 8 coats total. This is minus wetsanding factor.

Will take pictures once it dries properly.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Daty Rogers] #36747
06/14/07 05:00 PM
06/14/07 05:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

yes it is a wealth of information, but I'm already at the point where I know very well what I'm doing, but I just want quick answers to any questions that I may have. And I don't wanna skim through hundreds of pages to get the answer

Then do as some others and make mistakes that are already documented in this thread and ask why did it mess up on me?

Research costs are minimal compared to correcting mistakes you make that have already been made by others...

-Daty

I've already said that I know very well what I'm doing, I just have various other questions I want answered. Being able to search the archives (and by search, I don't mean reading through all the pages one by one heh) would be ultra useful to all of us

Tip: for the roof of the car, I switched to using a 20 inch roller handle for my foam rollers (found one at Home Depot). Before using this, I had to paint the top of my car in quadrants (since my other roller handles were too short to reach the other side of the car), which usually resulted in sections of paint that were thicker than others; I have alot of thick lines in the paint that need to be leveled, or else it'll end up looking like I did some sheetmetal welding underneath all the paint layers. Looks very unprofessional, I'll definitely need to break out my sander (or get real aggressive with my sanding blocks) to get the roof all even...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36748
06/14/07 07:50 PM
06/14/07 07:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hello folks of Mopar...

Just wanted to check in and give you some images of my 4th coat that I applied today. Here you go. You can see the gloss it has which is really nice and is still thinned! It has a little bit of orange peel but nothing too bad, I can tolerate it.

Looks and went out way better today! Hopefully I can get away with applying 2 more coats before I wetsand again.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36749
06/14/07 10:26 PM
06/14/07 10:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

looks good 93civic. I guess I'll share some pics of my paint so far. Using brightside exclusively now, since I found out about carb cleaner being the life ender of rustoleum. I am only rolling the top parts of my car, then will paint one side at a time.

it is windy as heck where I live, so I get alot of crap on the paint surface with every layer. Very poor painting conditions. I may just have to settle with a 10 foot paint job.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36750
06/14/07 10:33 PM
06/14/07 10:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

worldcrafter, darn that looks nice!! got it really smooth on your first try, I guess not really first try since you used rustoleum before.

very shiny and little orange peel! nice

BTW: Poor conditions here too, but painting in a garage helps decrease the amount of dust that sits on the paint. Painting outside is horrible, it picks up dust FAST! In the garage dust is there but the amount is less.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36751
06/14/07 10:38 PM
06/14/07 10:38 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Well... here is a status update on my paint job for long term durability and appearance.

As you folks know... my paint job officially ended back in August 2006. From Aug 2006 to Nov 2006 the car enjoyed the luxury of being parked in the garage. With winter coming the car had to be left outside for the winter and exposed to all the sun, snow, ice and rain that Canada's winter could throw at it.

When spring arrived the sweet little car remained outside and unprotected from the elements. The sun beat down on it and the rains were ridiculous.

Today I was puttering around in the garage and I found my Porter & Cable. Next I found my 3m Perfection and my McGuiars Pure Carnuba Wax ( banana scented yummmm ).

I washed down the car and then I polished and waxed my way around the entire body. The car looked so friggin amazing that I proudly hopped in it and drove all over the place with the rag top down.

BUT here is the real reason I am writing this. During the course of polishing and then waxing the car I noticed a slight difference in the color of the body - between where I was polishing and where I had not done yet.

There was a slight cloud over the untouched paint. And you would not have been able to spot it if you didn't have a freshly polished and waxed panel immediately next to it to compare it to.

So I don't know at this point if it was an oxidation on the original Brightside paint... or if that was the stage I had left it at when I finished my original polishing and waxing back in August 2006.

And as I said... I had not noticed anything odd about the paint job. It had looked great. BUT after doing this polishing and waxing today the puppy shines like a high gloss polyurathane and looks EVEN BETTER. AND it does appear to have become a deeper and darker red after this polishing and waxing.

So the point to this story is that if you think the car looks good after you do your final wetsanding, polishing and waxing... well wait until you see how it looks after you do the polishing and waxing months later.

I am absolutely thrilled how it looks even better today then back in August 2006.

I think what may have generated such favorable results today are two things :

a ) the weather : when I finished the paint job off back in August 2006 we were into cooler temperatures and high humidity from the rains. The weather today was in the 26 degrees celcius range. I did my polishing out in the driveway in the sun hehehehh. The overall temperature of the car's body was much warmer today when I did the polishing and waxing back in August.

b ) the additional curing time : I suspect that with all the months that have passed since August, the paint had reached a much higher level of curing and hardness.

I don't know if this is 'news' but I thought it might give some insight on how things are working out with the Brightside after TEN MONTHS of real world exposure to the harsh elements of the Canadian climate... and hopefully it will give the rollers something to look forward to months after they finish... that things will probably be looking even better as it gets older...

Last edited by Marq; 06/14/07 10:45 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36752
06/14/07 11:21 PM
06/14/07 11:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds great Marq =) I hope in a year I'll say the same.. hehe btw, i decided on gloss black as Im loving everybody else's jobs. And I read your post a while back on automakers making flat paint jobs in 2009-11. I still love the idea... but hate the cleaning part of it. Especially 'cause i have no garage =(

worldcrafter... nice tsuru man! Love those kits. I got stuck with a b14... but im waiting on the n15 bumper to come in =)

93civic.... your car is looking excellent... i love how brightside black looks- i am defiantly sticking with it

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36753
06/14/07 11:33 PM
06/14/07 11:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

good info Marq, gives me confidence that this will look sweet in the end.

BTW: Just curious, how does Brightside hold up to rust? For example if you painted on top some rust, would it seal the rust from spreading like POR15 or rustoleum?

Page 22 of 167 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 166 167