11/26/23 04:13 PM
11/26/23 04:13 PM
Detroit area
6PAX Offline OP
master
6PAX  Offline OP
master

Detroit area
I understand that when installing torsion bars you are supposed to let the lower control arms hang and insert the torsion bar when it's hex lines up with the hex in the lca while raising it to get it to line up. How far are you supposed to let the lca hang? Right now I don't have anything bolted in place as I am installing everything from scratch. There is no suspension on the car other than the ucas (which aren't attached to the spindles as the spindles aren't mounted yet) and the lcas. I have the passenger side tbar a little way into the trans. crossmember and the lca hanging basically vertically as the strut rod isn't in place yet. I can insert the tbar into the lca by just raising the lca a little bit. But if I lift the lca up a little bit more the tbar will also go in on the next set of flats on the hex with the lca still angled somewhat toward the floor. I then have to lift it a little further to get the strut rod to go in the lca. So, how far is the lca supposed to be hanging when inserting the tbar?

Re: Torsion bar install question [Re: 6PAX] #3193445
11/26/23 05:13 PM
11/26/23 05:13 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
It is your choice up, I have let them hang down as far as needed to get the job done, I slide the torsion bar back into the tranny crossmember to keep it close so I can slide it forward into where it goes when I'm assembling the rest (lower control arm) of those parts CRS blush
The 1970 Charger R/T I rebuilt the front end gave me a little battle on assembling the driver side LCA and torsion bar, the passenger side went together like a dream boogie grin Dang Murphy anyways shruggy workLet us know how yours goes wrench up

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Torsion bar install question [Re: 6PAX] #3193452
11/26/23 05:49 PM
11/26/23 05:49 PM
Morgan Hill, CA
ackpht Offline
master
ackpht  Offline
master

Morgan Hill, CA
I suggest bolting both control arms in place and attaching the spindle to both. From memory:

If the bump stop is installed adjacent to the upper control arm, remove it- you're gong to need all the downward travel you can get to get the torsion bar into the lower control arm. Likewise remove the height-adjuster bolt on the lower control arm, if it is installed.

Grease the hole in he chassis mount that holds the back end of the torsion bar.

Determine correct orientation/side for your torsion bar. I forget whether you slide it in from the front side or the rear side of the chassis mount, but you can figure it out. Slide it in about halfway and install the grease boot.

Grease both ends of the torsion bar.

Put a floor jack under the spindle to hold it in position, and raise/lower it as needed. You can also tap on the "finger" of the height adjuster to rotate the socket where the torsion bar will go, but using the jack is probably easier.

Align the torsion bar to the lower control arm and tap it into place (hammer and wood block on back end). If it won't go, swear, check the elevation of the spindle, and retry.

Continue driving the torsion bar forward until the back end clears the retaining groove in the hole of the chassis mount. Install snap ring.

Stuff more grease around the torsion bar from the front side of the chassis mount and slide the boot over it.

Install bump stop and height adjuster bolt that you took out earlier.

Re: Torsion bar install question [Re: Cab_Burge] #3193480
11/26/23 07:34 PM
11/26/23 07:34 PM
Detroit area
6PAX Offline OP
master
6PAX  Offline OP
master

Detroit area
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
It is your choice up, I have let them hang down as far as needed to get the job done, :

This is what I don't understand. The tbar will go in in either position of the lca. But, if I go with the first option I mentioned with the lca hanging all the way down and vertical to the floor, will this not twist the torsion bar more than the second position I mentioned when I raise the lca up and lock it in place?

Re: Torsion bar install question [Re: 6PAX] #3193490
11/26/23 08:43 PM
11/26/23 08:43 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

It has been my experience that with the tbar adjuster loosened all the way. Still threaded into the bracket though.

You will install the t bar so that you will need to jack it up an inch or two to connect the lower ball joint.

Don't forget the strut rod or bushings... DAMHIK

That has been my experience. Hope it helps.

Re: Torsion bar install question [Re: IMGTX] #3193504
11/26/23 09:53 PM
11/26/23 09:53 PM
Detroit area
6PAX Offline OP
master
6PAX  Offline OP
master

Detroit area
I didn't measure but if I put the tbar in the socket with the lca hanging all the way down I believe it would have to be jacked up more than an inch or two to connect it to the spindle. Also, as I mentioned, I think it would twist the tbar quite a bit more to get to where I could attach the lca to the spindle. Maybe the second position when I lift up the lca by hand is the one I need to insert the tbar into. I don't know but I hope I can get the tbar install finished tomorrow.

Re: Torsion bar install question [Re: 6PAX] #3193516
11/26/23 11:16 PM
11/26/23 11:16 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Online content
I Live Here
TJP  Online Content
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
per the manual the UCA, LCA and spindle should be in place WITHOUT the UCA bumper and hanging. Then do the following. DO NOT tighten any of the bolts on the UCA bushings or LCA pivot until the suspension is fully loaded with the engine etc. and the initial height is set

1.JPG2.JPG
Last edited by TJP; 11/26/23 11:37 PM.
Re: Torsion bar install question [Re: 6PAX] #3193517
11/26/23 11:19 PM
11/26/23 11:19 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Says or reads noting about angle or position when installing the torsion bar(s) in a factory shop manual but the first page does show the "strut" in place on the LCA that would limit how far the LCA could drop without a T-bar installed.

Torsion bar installation 001.jpgTorsion bar installation.jpg
Re: Torsion bar install question [Re: A12] #3193518
11/26/23 11:23 PM
11/26/23 11:23 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Online content
I Live Here
TJP  Online Content
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by A12
Say or reads noting about angle or position when installing the torsion bar(s) in a factory shop manual shruggy

it does but in a different area. wink See post above yours beer

Re: Torsion bar install question [Re: TJP] #3193533
11/27/23 12:31 AM
11/27/23 12:31 AM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Online content
I Win
stumpy  Online Content
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Down all the way. If you lift the lca up you won't get enough preload on the T bars and you will end up having to reinstall them. No need to do the job twice.

Re: Torsion bar install question [Re: TJP] #3193541
11/27/23 02:37 AM
11/27/23 02:37 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by A12
Say or reads noting about angle or position when installing the torsion bar(s) in a factory shop manual shruggy

it does but in a different area. wink See post above yours beer

Thanks seems I was trying to convert the only shop manual torsion bar info I found to a format I could post and didn't see your post blush. beer back at you.

Re: Torsion bar install question [Re: 6PAX] #3193586
11/27/23 11:34 AM
11/27/23 11:34 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by 6PAX
I understand that when installing torsion bars you are supposed to let the lower control arms hang and insert the torsion bar when it's hex lines up with the hex in the lca while raising it to get it to line up. How far are you supposed to let the lca hang? Right now I don't have anything bolted in place as I am installing everything from scratch. There is no suspension on the car other than the ucas (which aren't attached to the spindles as the spindles aren't mounted yet) and the lcas. I have the passenger side tbar a little way into the trans. crossmember and the lca hanging basically vertically as the strut rod isn't in place yet. I can insert the tbar into the lca by just raising the lca a little bit. But if I lift the lca up a little bit more the tbar will also go in on the next set of flats on the hex with the lca still angled somewhat toward the floor. I then have to lift it a little further to get the strut rod to go in the lca. So, how far is the lca supposed to be hanging when inserting the tbar?

Hanging vertically is too far down , your second attempt sounds correct. As others have noted having the spindle in the mix and the 3 pieces attached to each other is where to start.

running up my post count some more .
Re: Torsion bar install question [Re: ackpht] #3193587
11/27/23 11:37 AM
11/27/23 11:37 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by ackpht
I suggest bolting both control arms in place and attaching the spindle to both. From memory:

If the bump stop is installed adjacent to the upper control arm, remove it- you're gong to need all the downward travel you can get to get the torsion bar into the lower control arm. Likewise remove the height-adjuster bolt on the lower control arm, if it is installed.

Grease the hole in he chassis mount that holds the back end of the torsion bar.

Determine correct orientation/side for your torsion bar. I forget whether you slide it in from the front side or the rear side of the chassis mount, but you can figure it out. Slide it in about halfway and install the grease boot.

Grease both ends of the torsion bar.

Put a floor jack under the spindle to hold it in position, and raise/lower it as needed. You can also tap on the "finger" of the height adjuster to rotate the socket where the torsion bar will go, but using the jack is probably easier.

Align the torsion bar to the lower control arm and tap it into place (hammer and wood block on back end). If it won't go, swear, check the elevation of the spindle, and retry.

Continue driving the torsion bar forward until the back end clears the retaining groove in the hole of the chassis mount. Install snap ring.

Stuff more grease around the torsion bar from the front side of the chassis mount and slide the boot over it.

Install bump stop and height adjuster bolt that you took out earlier.

This, I leave the height adjuster bolt and its block in place with the bolt backed out so the link is setting on the block.

Re: Torsion bar install question [Re: A12] #3193589
11/27/23 11:40 AM
11/27/23 11:40 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by A12
Says or reads noting about angle or position when installing the torsion bar(s) in a factory shop manual but the first page does show the "strut" in place on the LCA that would limit how far the LCA could drop without a T-bar installed.

The strut needs to be in place BUT EVERYTHING LOOSE , otherwise you won't be getting it in afterwards.

Re: Torsion bar install question [Re: 6PAX] #3193620
11/27/23 01:48 PM
11/27/23 01:48 PM
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted by 6PAX
I didn't measure but if I put the tbar in the socket with the lca hanging all the way down I believe it would have to be jacked up more than an inch or two to connect it to the spindle. Also, as I mentioned, I think it would twist the tbar quite a bit more to get to where I could attach the lca to the spindle. Maybe the second position when I lift up the lca by hand is the one I need to insert the tbar into. I don't know but I hope I can get the tbar install finished tomorrow.

Like someone said if you have the Strut Rod installed it won't go too far down.

I never remover the Upper Control arm bumper, hence the reason I need to jack it back up the last inch or two. The bumper holds the spindle up a little higher.

Re: Torsion bar install question [Re: IMGTX] #3193720
11/27/23 06:47 PM
11/27/23 06:47 PM
SW Fla.
CYACOP Offline
master
CYACOP  Offline
master

SW Fla.
ackpht is dead on . Just follow this and it will all go right together. I just took one apart on Saturday. Pay attention to what he said about the bumper. Look at the numbers for the left and right sides too.

Last edited by CYACOP; 11/27/23 06:48 PM.
Re: Torsion bar install question [Re: CYACOP] #3193776
11/27/23 09:35 PM
11/27/23 09:35 PM
Detroit area
6PAX Offline OP
master
6PAX  Offline OP
master

Detroit area
I just came in from the garage. I did as suggested, put all parts in place but left loose. The driver side bar went in fairly easily but had a hard time with the passenger side. Actually, I'm not finished with it. Having a hard time driving the bar forward to get it all the way in the hex socket on the trans. mount. Gonna get back at it tomorrow. So, once I have it in place, should I not tighten everything up until I have the wheels/tires on the car and set the ride height? Then tighten everything up? Anything else I should be aware of?

Re: Torsion bar install question [Re: 6PAX] #3193796
11/27/23 10:53 PM
11/27/23 10:53 PM
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Tighten everything except the control arm pivots.

They should be just loose enough to allow them to pivot and not bind the bushings.

Set the ride height with the wheels on the ground and while the suspension is still on the ground supporting the car tighten the pivots.

Re: Torsion bar install question [Re: IMGTX] #3193852
11/28/23 11:13 AM
11/28/23 11:13 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Online content
I Live Here
6PakBee  Online Content
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by IMGTX
Tighten everything except the control arm pivots.

They should be just loose enough to allow them to pivot and not bind the bushings.

Set the ride height with the wheels on the ground and while the suspension is still on the ground supporting the car tighten the pivots.

Very important so the rubber insert in the bushing is not deformed (twisted) at ride height.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Torsion bar install question [Re: 6PakBee] #3194018
11/28/23 09:02 PM
11/28/23 09:02 PM
SW Fla.
CYACOP Offline
master
CYACOP  Offline
master

SW Fla.
Try to get someone to wiggle up and down on the spindle as you try to install the passenger torsion bar. It could also be grease packed in the other end hydraulically stopping it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2