Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
How much money do you think our government pissed away on this research that will benefit ... nobody !!!

Re: man reacts to new alcohol guidelines health Canada [Re: Stanton] #3121550
02/14/23 07:29 PM
02/14/23 07:29 PM
md
M
mopars4ever Offline
I Live Here
mopars4ever  Offline
I Live Here
M

md
I guess he can`t do the math. LOL

Re: man reacts to new alcohol guidelines health Canada [Re: mopars4ever] #3121564
02/14/23 08:01 PM
02/14/23 08:01 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I don't drink beer, but he does have a point, what business is it of any government how much of anything the guy drinks at home? Concern about health is Bull Dung.

Re: man reacts to new alcohol guidelines health Canada [Re: poorboy] #3121597
02/14/23 09:16 PM
02/14/23 09:16 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Online content
master
Sniper  Online Content
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by poorboy
I don't drink beer, but he does have a point, what business is it of any government how much of anything the guy drinks at home? Concern about health is Bull Dung.

Canada has "free" health care so they feel like they can stick their noses into your habits, deem them unhealthy and force you to change or deny your health care.

Re: man reacts to new alcohol guidelines health Canada [Re: Stanton] #3121601
02/14/23 09:23 PM
02/14/23 09:23 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
Originally Posted by Stanton
How much money do you think our government pissed away on this research that will benefit ... nobody !!!

I agree.

I work for a state agency and I can tell you how this often comes to be.

When somebody gets elected the chances are they are a lawyer.

The first thing they do is hire their friends who also are usually lawyers.

A lawyers job is making paperwork.

Lets say that the government is running along fine and everything is good. These lawyers get bored. What do bored lawyers do? They request studies, make changes to laws, anything to create junk paperwork.

Re: man reacts to new alcohol guidelines health Canada [Re: poorboy] #3121607
02/14/23 09:31 PM
02/14/23 09:31 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Yep. He really does have a point although it was kind of unpleasant to get it lol. He makes a couple good points. None of their business although as you wrote poorboy they can say it is now with "free" (free my azz) healthcare they can stick their nose in, and his point about soda being just as bad is a good one. Where do they stop? Limits on bacon, burgers, fries.....

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: man reacts to new alcohol guidelines health Canada [Re: Sniper] #3121643
02/15/23 12:09 AM
02/15/23 12:09 AM
moparpollack Offline
Lil Herman
moparpollack  Offline
Lil Herman

Originally Posted by Sniper

Canada has "free" health care so they feel like they can stick their noses into your habits, deem them unhealthy and force you to change or deny your health care.

LMAO ask Canadian's about their free health care and the cost of cigs, alcohol, and everything compared to the USA. My neighbor in Arizona left Canada when he couldn't get the healthcare he needed in a timely manner but it was free.

56 Plaza 63 D100 step side 67 Coronet, 68 Roadrunner, 69 Super Bees, 69 Coronet 500 convertible, 70 Roadrunner Post, 79 D150 360, and a severe case of Mopar a,d,d
Re: man reacts to new alcohol guidelines health Canada [Re: moparpollack] #3121657
02/15/23 03:13 AM
02/15/23 03:13 AM
Arlington, Texas
B
bobby66 Offline
master
bobby66  Offline
master
B

Arlington, Texas

Beer is good for your teeth. up

Re: man reacts to new alcohol guidelines health Canada [Re: Sniper] #3121658
02/15/23 03:32 AM
02/15/23 03:32 AM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline
master
That AMC Guy  Offline
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada

Yeah right? So you have more than your prescribed 2 beer a week and you get denied healthcare. But you can put all the cocaine, meth and heroin up your snout as you please, and they'll continue to bring you back to life to consume more of that garbage.

Methinks Trudeau has some sort of agreement with some Columbian Drug lords.

Haven't you heard? As of January 31st, here in BC.... possession of Cocaine, Methamphetamines, Heroin and a multitude of other hard core narcotics have been for the most part decriminalized. Some dude in Vancouver is trying to open the worlds' first HARDCORE drug store.

Can I PLEASE move to the USA??? This Canada thing is getting too ridiculous for me. I just want to build my cars, have some soda pops, eat my hamburgers and live my life in peace. I'll be no trouble. Honest!!

Not to mention.... Canada's "Free" healthcare system is a joke. Unless you live in the major centres.... there's next to nothing out there for reasonable care.
My hometown had a hospital from 1951 to 2009. In that time, the town went from a village, to a full blown city of over 10,000 people. But in 2009 they said there's not enough people to support the hospital. So they shut 'er down. We don't even have 24-hour emergency service anymore.

I had a coworker a few years ago.... he was new in town.... bicycled his butt to the hospital with an aching jaw only to find emergency room not open. He waited there in the freezing cold until they opened, they told him since it was dental they couldn't do a thing - pumped him full of morphine and threw him back out in the street. Turns out, he had an abscessed tooth. I phoned *MY* dentist and asked for a personal favour and that he see my friend *TODAY*. Thankfully, my dentist is an amazing guy and later that day, yanked my co workers tooth out to the tune of $250 (yeah, I had to pay for that, too!!) But whatever.

But that's the sort of thing happening in Canada right now. My buddy might have DIED had that tooth gone septic.

I once went to the hospital complaining of breathing difficulties. They told me their was nothing wrong with me. But my heart rate was through the roof and they were about to admit me to the heart attack ward. Until I literally had to scream at them (with every last ounce of breath I had) that "IF I CAN'T BREATHE, DON'T YOU THINK I'D BE A LITTLE FRIGHTENED AND MAYBE THAT IS THE CAUSE OF MY ELEVATED HEART RATE?" Frickin' Imbeciles.

The other funny thing happening in BC right now is that sales of "bootleg" cigarettes are through the roof. They figure over 200% and the "province" is losing revenue because of it. Yes, seriously.... bootleg cigarettes. Because on the Reservations, the Natives don't have to pay taxes! So they buy taxless tobacco by the truckload, and then sell it to the white folks at an appreciable markup, but still below retail costs.

Works out great for the Indians. But the Provincial Government is crying their faces off because of "lost revenue". Awww. Poor babies. Maybe had they not jacked up the prices so ridiculously, people would not have sought out alternatives.

Same thing with the "freedom seed planter" buy back BS. All it does is turn the average Canadian to the black market.

Last edited by That AMC Guy; 02/15/23 03:43 AM.

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....

Re: man reacts to new alcohol guidelines health Canada [Re: That AMC Guy] #3121670
02/15/23 08:45 AM
02/15/23 08:45 AM
PA
70Duster Offline
top fuel
70Duster  Offline
top fuel

PA
Humorous. Since the laws against illegal drugs work so well, let's have more guidelines and laws against alcohol that will also be ignored.

Re: man reacts to new alcohol guidelines health Canada [Re: 70Duster] #3121866
02/15/23 08:58 PM
02/15/23 08:58 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
AMC Guy, you are welcome to come to the USA.

I suggest you come through the southern US boarder. That way you can get transportation to somewhere nice, get to live free in a 4 star hotel, full government supplied free health care (better then you have now), a phone, free food, and a cash supplement.

I'm considering giving it a try myself.

Re: man reacts to new alcohol guidelines health Canada [Re: poorboy] #3121895
02/15/23 10:29 PM
02/15/23 10:29 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
AMC Guy, you are welcome to come to the USA.

I suggest you come through the southern US boarder. That way you can get transportation to somewhere nice, get to live free in a 4 star hotel, full government supplied free health care (better then you have now), a phone, free food, and a cash supplement.

I'm considering giving it a try myself.

My name Jose Jimenez.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: man reacts to new alcohol guidelines health Canada [Re: Guitar Jones] #3121934
02/16/23 01:58 AM
02/16/23 01:58 AM
manitoba canada
B
BleedDodge Offline
super stock
BleedDodge  Offline
super stock
B

manitoba canada
I want to move to the states too, and become an American, but it doesn’t look like I can unless I fly to Mexico first and walk back north eh.

Re: man reacts to new alcohol guidelines health Canada [Re: poorboy] #3121979
02/16/23 11:27 AM
02/16/23 11:27 AM
o
C
ChryCoGuy Offline
master
ChryCoGuy  Offline
master
C

o

Before we go off into crazy conspiracy theory land, it's a recommendation that basically says drinking alcohol is bad for you, and can cause cancer. Like nobody knew that before?

Nobody is telling you that you can't have more than 2 drinks per week, they are just giving information about the health risks involved with drinking so you can make your own decision. It's like a public service. The news media has put a lot of attention on it because they know people like to drink, and will be upset that doctors' recommendations have changed - and hopefully they can stir up controversy among those who won't understand that it's just information and will think it's some sort of overreach...

FWIW, you can still smoke as many cigarettes as you want to in Canada, even though everybody knows it causes cancer. You can even smoke as much weed as you want here... legally (although it doesn't interest me, personally). The govt is not in the business of controlling peoples' personal choices (in actuality it benefits from tax collected on such purchases).

I think the dude with the tooth is funny, and the reporter kinda mislead the guy to let him believe that the government was telling him how much he could drink... probably sat outside the store looking for somebody that they could get a good reaction from, so they could get clicks... like everybody who watched it as a result of this thread.

Re: man reacts to new alcohol guidelines health Canada [Re: ChryCoGuy] #3122048
02/16/23 02:05 PM
02/16/23 02:05 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Online content
master
Sniper  Online Content
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by ChryCoGuy

Before we go off into crazy conspiracy theory land, it's a recommendation that basically says drinking alcohol is bad for you, and can cause cancer. Like nobody knew that before?

Nobody is telling you that you can't have more than 2 drinks per week, they are just giving information about the health risks involved with drinking so you can make your own decision. It's like a public service. The news media has put a lot of attention on it because they know people like to drink, and will be upset that doctors' recommendations have changed - and hopefully they can stir up controversy among those who won't understand that it's just information and will think it's some sort of overreach...

FWIW, you can still smoke as many cigarettes as you want to in Canada, even though everybody knows it causes cancer. You can even smoke as much weed as you want here... legally (although it doesn't interest me, personally). The govt is not in the business of controlling peoples' personal choices (in actuality it benefits from tax collected on such purchases).

I think the dude with the tooth is funny, and the reporter kinda mislead the guy to let him believe that the government was telling him how much he could drink... probably sat outside the store looking for somebody that they could get a good reaction from, so they could get clicks... like everybody who watched it as a result of this thread.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. I already hear people in the US demanding people with behaviors they do not approve of be denied or charged more for health care. The company I work for charges $50 more a month for health insurance if you smoke and another $50 if your spouse smokes. Won;t take too much longer before some politician notices they are missing out on that "fee" and wants to make it universal.

Re: man reacts to new alcohol guidelines health Canada [Re: That AMC Guy] #3122113
02/16/23 04:44 PM
02/16/23 04:44 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Originally Posted by That AMC Guy

Yeah right? So you have more than your prescribed 2 beer a week and you get denied healthcare. But you can put all the cocaine, meth and heroin up your snout as you please, and they'll continue to bring you back to life to consume more of that garbage.

Methinks Trudeau has some sort of agreement with some Columbian Drug lords.

Haven't you heard? As of January 31st, here in BC.... possession of Cocaine, Methamphetamines, Heroin and a multitude of other hard core narcotics have been for the most part decriminalized. Some dude in Vancouver is trying to open the worlds' first HARDCORE drug store.

Can I PLEASE move to the USA??? This Canada thing is getting too ridiculous for me. I just want to build my cars, have some soda pops, eat my hamburgers and live my life in peace. I'll be no trouble. Honest!!

Not to mention.... Canada's "Free" healthcare system is a joke. Unless you live in the major centres.... there's next to nothing out there for reasonable care.
My hometown had a hospital from 1951 to 2009. In that time, the town went from a village, to a full blown city of over 10,000 people. But in 2009 they said there's not enough people to support the hospital. So they shut 'er down. We don't even have 24-hour emergency service anymore.

I had a coworker a few years ago.... he was new in town.... bicycled his butt to the hospital with an aching jaw only to find emergency room not open. He waited there in the freezing cold until they opened, they told him since it was dental they couldn't do a thing - pumped him full of morphine and threw him back out in the street. Turns out, he had an abscessed tooth. I phoned *MY* dentist and asked for a personal favour and that he see my friend *TODAY*. Thankfully, my dentist is an amazing guy and later that day, yanked my co workers tooth out to the tune of $250 (yeah, I had to pay for that, too!!) But whatever.

But that's the sort of thing happening in Canada right now. My buddy might have DIED had that tooth gone septic.

I once went to the hospital complaining of breathing difficulties. They told me their was nothing wrong with me. But my heart rate was through the roof and they were about to admit me to the heart attack ward. Until I literally had to scream at them (with every last ounce of breath I had) that "IF I CAN'T BREATHE, DON'T YOU THINK I'D BE A LITTLE FRIGHTENED AND MAYBE THAT IS THE CAUSE OF MY ELEVATED HEART RATE?" Frickin' Imbeciles.

The other funny thing happening in BC right now is that sales of "bootleg" cigarettes are through the roof. They figure over 200% and the "province" is losing revenue because of it. Yes, seriously.... bootleg cigarettes. Because on the Reservations, the Natives don't have to pay taxes! So they buy taxless tobacco by the truckload, and then sell it to the white folks at an appreciable markup, but still below retail costs.

Works out great for the Indians. But the Provincial Government is crying their faces off because of "lost revenue". Awww. Poor babies. Maybe had they not jacked up the prices so ridiculously, people would not have sought out alternatives.

Same thing with the "freedom seed planter" buy back BS. All it does is turn the average Canadian to the black market.

There are a few on this site that the majority of us here would be willing to make a swap for if you can get Canada to take them.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: man reacts to new alcohol guidelines health Canada [Re: Sniper] #3122168
02/16/23 08:52 PM
02/16/23 08:52 PM
o
C
ChryCoGuy Offline
master
ChryCoGuy  Offline
master
C

o

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. I already hear people in the US demanding people with behaviors they do not approve of be denied or charged more for health care. The company I work for charges $50 more a month for health insurance if you smoke and another $50 if your spouse smokes. Won;t take too much longer before some politician notices they are missing out on that "fee" and wants to make it universal.

Yeah, private insurance companies have been doing that forever. For example, in Canada when you buy life insurance, it's more expensive if you are a smoker. The govt healthcare is not set up like that. If you are a smoker you get the same healthcare as a non-smoker. It comes out of everybody's taxes so nobody is singled out. Likewise other unhealthy habits, like eating fattening food, drinking alcohol, smoking pot, skydiving, motor racing, or even illegally driving recklessly on a highway and causing a car accident in which you are injured will not get you denied healthcare. It's just not the way it is set up, and it would be political suicide for any politician to ever suggest denying healthcare due to lifestyle choices. Nobody's talking about it, and it will never happen. I think a lot of people have overactive imaginations because of Covid, and other societal issues or political beliefs (mostly brought about by stuff they read/watch on the internet).

Mind you, that's not saying that govt healthcare is perfect. Canadian politicians have underfunded healthcare for decades, allowing it to slip to the point where it was just functioning on the edge of collapse (or just below, IMHO, as cracks were already showing before Covid). Covid put it over the edge, or at least brought out how badly it has been mismanaged by each province (healthcare is managed provincially in Canada. Note: a province in Canada is equivalent to a state in the US). Now, polling in Canada is showing that one of peoples' top concerns is the state of healthcare, and the politicians are scrambling to throw money at it to get it fixed. They know that they will not get votes if they don't do something to fix the mess that it has become.

That's just some back information. The main contention that alcohol consumption recommendations will lead to hard limits leading to denied healthcare are completely false, and without merit in any way, shape, or form. I'll tell you, Canadians generally like their drink, and any politician who tried to put this into play would get voted out so fast they wouldn't know what hit them. That's a fact.

Also, there have always been alcohol consumption recommendations... it used to be 2 drinks per day for men, and 1 drink per day for women. Yet... people have been freely buying and drinking as much alcohol as they want for as long as I can remember. Health recommendation for smoking has long been 'don't smoke'... but people still buy them and smoke them, get lung cancer and get cancer treatment in hospitals. Nobody is intentionally denied healthcare.

Which is different than the fact that underfunded and understaffed healthcare has been causing hospitals to close, or to randomly shut down their ER because they don't have the personnel to staff it. Heck, a woman at a rural hospital about 2 hours away from me went to the ER for severe abdominal pains, and was waiting in the understaffed ER for 6 hours and eventually died. Had she received proper treatment, she would have lived, and she was a wife and mother of 2 in her thirties! Totally unacceptable, and the citizens will not stand for it - they are demanding that this get fixed but unfortunately it takes many years to build it back up. Not to mention that medical school spots have been limited, and many graduates end up practicing in the more-lucrative US hospitals. On the other hand, I'm not sure that a poorer person in the US without healthcare insurance would have had any better treatment than that woman who died locally - I mean, I really don't know because I have no experience with private healthcare driven by insurance funding.

Regardless, I'm not here to debate govt healthcare vs privately paid healthcare, but I hate to see bad information being tossed around as if it were real. I don't want to say any more as I think I am getting too close to this being about politics... and I don't want to go there. twocents

Re: man reacts to new alcohol guidelines health Canada [Re: ChryCoGuy] #3122173
02/16/23 09:08 PM
02/16/23 09:08 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Online content
master
Sniper  Online Content
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by ChryCoGuy

Yeah, private insurance companies have been doing that forever. For example, in Canada when you buy life insurance, it's more expensive if you are a smoker. The govt healthcare is not set up like that. If you are a smoker you get the same healthcare as a non-smoker. It comes out of everybody's taxes so nobody is singled out. Likewise other unhealthy habits, like eating fattening food, drinking alcohol, smoking pot, skydiving, motor racing, or even illegally driving recklessly on a highway and causing a car accident in which you are injured will not get you denied healthcare. It's just not the way it is set up, and it would be political suicide for any politician to ever suggest denying healthcare due to lifestyle choices. Nobody's talking about it, and it will never happen. I think a lot of people have overactive imaginations because of Covid, and other societal issues or political beliefs (mostly brought about by stuff they read/watch on the internet).

I can already tell you that the military will deny all benefits is you are hurt drunk driving. If you get hurt you get no health benefits/coverage. If you die you survivors get squat. So it is already happening.

Page 1 of 2 1 2