DFW
M
mr_340 Offline
master
mr_340  Offline
master
M

DFW
I've never met Roy Hill personally, but I've seen him on TV and he reminds me of a drill sargeant in basic training. I suppose in some way that is what he is at driving school, but I think I'd try Frank Hawley first. Hopefully Roy doesn't make you do 100 pushups if you screw up?

Floyd Lippencott IV
Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! [Re: sixpackjeff] #309864
05/23/09 10:21 PM
05/23/09 10:21 PM
NC
H
HMcCandless_Jr Offline
mopar
HMcCandless_Jr  Offline
mopar
H

NC
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Forget Roy Hill. Check out the Shelby Mustang Pro Stocker parked next to him. National Trail 1975.

\

OMG how could you forget Roy Hill, you must have never met him!!!! He is one wide open person. If you ever see him shake his hand he will talk to you.

HErb Jr

I've had the pleasure on more than one occasion. What a character! Of all the old heads I've talked to, Hill and Herb Sr. are the only ones who remember the cars like it was yesterday. I love the fact that he used to be in "collections."
Here's Roy in 1978 (I think).

Thats because Roy and Herb built their cars they raced. When you put your heart and soul into what you do you never forget. I have worked with Roy the last few years on some stuff. He is one character and will talk to anyone, especially if you have DD's.

Herb Jr

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! [Re: HMcCandless_Jr] #309865
05/24/09 12:03 AM
05/24/09 12:03 AM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
So when & where is the first race? And what kind of car count do you have so far?

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! #309866
05/24/09 01:10 AM
05/24/09 01:10 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

the most important fan friendly thing to create and build an interest would more than likely be the eras correct appearance regarding wheels , paint schemes and hood scoops that would set them apart from other cars at the track that day.

yep

the cars will have updated safety stuff, would we want to go backwards on that front as well.

new trans setups will help keep up the car count

I want my fair share
Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! [Re: sixpackjeff] #309867
05/24/09 07:41 AM
05/24/09 07:41 AM
KYbywayof WV
F
Frito Offline
top fuel
Frito  Offline
top fuel
F

KYbywayof WV
Quote:

Well, I DO have a spare set... Will these work Fred?

Motor wheel Flys??? I bought the x Flack & Comstock car in the early 80s, Sold the Flys and put on super tricks. Regreted it from day one!!!

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! [Re: hemicop] #309868
05/26/09 10:10 AM
05/26/09 10:10 AM
O-H-I-O
sixpackjeff Offline OP
mopar
sixpackjeff  Offline OP
mopar

O-H-I-O
Quote:

So when & where is the first race? And what kind of car count do you have so far?

OK here's the latest update on the NNPSA. I've spoken to the higher ups at Goodguys' Vintage Racing Association and we've decided to open with a bang rather than a wimper. Our first event will be at the Nostalgia Nationals at Beech Bend in Bowling Green, KY, October 16-18, followed by Z-Max Raceway in Charlotte, October 30. We'll postpone Columbus and Norwalk, OH until next year.

I propose we make this a true National event and honor our friend Kev 73 Missle, dubbing this the Kevin Christner Pro Stock Reunion. We're looking at two 8 car fields (early and late) along with a host of original Pro Stockers for display. Are you listening, Todd? We'll have major magazine coverage, so you guys have all summer to get to the paint shop!

For 2010 we'll have a full program at Indy, Columbus, Norwalk, Rt 66, Bowling Green and Charlotte. We'll also be adding a Nostalgia Super Stock/Max Wedge program, but we're not ready to talk about that just yet.

Revised rules will be posted by the end of this week. Next week we'll take a poll on who's going to be ready to race!

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! [Re: sixpackjeff] #309869
05/28/09 08:34 AM
05/28/09 08:34 AM
O-H-I-O
sixpackjeff Offline OP
mopar
sixpackjeff  Offline OP
mopar

O-H-I-O
Here are the updated rules.

2009 Nostalgia Pro Stock Rules

1. Classes:
Open to vehicles formerly used in Pro Stock competition. Vehicles need not be authentic former Pro Stock cars. Clone cars acceptable. Tribute (period correct) cars acceptable. The following vehicles are eligible to compete:
Class I: 1969-70 AMC AMX, 1971-74 AMC Javelin, 1971-77 AMC Hornet, 1969-73 Chevrolet Camaro, 1969-74 Chevrolet Nova, 1970-74 Dodge Challenger, 1970-71 Dodge Dart, 1971-72 Dodge Demon, 1973-76 Dodge Dart Sport 1970-77 Ford Maverick, 1969-70 Mercury Cougar, 1971-77 Mercury Comet, 1969-73 Ford Mustang, 1969-74 Plymouth Barracuda, 1970-76 Plymouth Duster, 1969-73 Pontiac Firebird.
Class II: 1970-78 AMC Gremlin, 1971-77 Chevrolet Vega, 1974-81 Chevrolet Camaro, 1971-78 Dodge Colt, 1976-80 Dodge Aspen, 1978-83 Dodge Challenger, 1978-83 Dodge Omni 024/Charger, 1971-79 Ford Pinto, 1974-81 Ford Mustang II, 1971-73 Plymouth Cricket, 1976-80 Plymouth Volare, 1976-80 Plymouth Arrow, 1978-83 Plymouth Horizon TC3/Turismo, 1974-81 Pontiac Firebird.
All vehicles must dial at an established class index during eliminations: (8.50, 9.00, 9.50, 10.00). Contestants will qualify based on running closest to their index without running quicker, during time trials. Vehicles may not run quicker than their index during eliminations. Cars will be laddered beginning with the first round of eliminations.

2. Ballast:
Removable ballast limited to 250 pounds. Weight must be installed in acceptable weight box, installed in trunk and attached to the frame or cross member. No liquid or loose ballast permitted.

3: Body:
a. Class I: Minimum wheelbase 100 inches. Original steel body shell must be retained. Bodies in white acceptable. Alterations permitted if retaining an overall stock appearance. Excessive weight reduction must not be visible. Fiberglass or other lightweight body panels are allowed for front fenders, hood, doors, bumpers, splash panels, valance panels and deck lid.
Class II: Minimum wheelbase 92 inches. Original steel body shell required. Alterations permitted if retaining an overall stock appearance. Fiberglass or other lightweight body panels are allowed for front fenders, hood, doors, bumpers, splash panels, valance panels and deck lid.
b. Fender Splash Pans: Full inner panels are not required.
c. Firewall: Firewall may be moved rearward from stock location for engine installation. May be replaced with .028 inch steel or .040 inch aluminum.
d. Floors: May be replaced with .028 inch steel or .040 inch aluminum.
e. Frame: Class I: Back-halved cars only. Must use stock frame for car body used. Properly reinforced stepped frames permitted. Cross members may only be altered or relocated for engine or transmission clearance. Class II: Back halved or tube chassis cars. Any properly reinforced frame permitted.
f. Grille: Must be full production for make, model and year claimed. Covering in front of grille prohibited. Vehicle must retain stock head lamps, tail lamps and turn signals.
g. Hood/Scoop: Hood required in all classes. Hood may be modified to clear intake manifold. Era-correct (snorkel, lump) hood scoop required. No “aero” scoops permitted.
h. Interior: Aftermarket front bucket type seats permitted. Rear seat may be removed. Aftermarket replacement dashboard with aftermarket gauges allowed.
i. Paint: Era-correct paint, lettering and decals are encouraged.
j. Spoilers: OEM spoilers allowed. All rear spoilers other than those originally factory installed must not be more than four inches high and must be mounted behind the rear axle. Any rear spoiler must be integrated into the overall body design and be painted to match. No air dams.
k. Windows: Windshield and windows must be of safety glass, Lexan, Plexiglass, or other shatter-proof material. Operative windows not required. “Pro” lettering must be on windows, with no bracket or other class designations.
l. Wheel Tubs: Wheel tubs of any size are allowed if legal wheels and tires are positioned in stock location relative to exterior body lines.

4. Brakes:
Brakes required on all four wheels. Aftermarket units allowed. Line-locks permitted.

5. Chassis:
Sub frames may be joined. Rear frame may be moved in or reconstructed for rear tire and wheel tub clearance. Roll cage required in all vehicles per NHRA General Regulation 4:11. Vehicles must have current NHRA chassis inspection sticker.

6. Drivetrain:
a. Any transmission with a maximum of four forward speeds and reverse allowed. Trans brake permitted with automatic transmission. Clutchless units accepted. Must remain in conventional location determined by engine used.
b. Rear End: Any rear end allowed, provided it was original equipment in an American production car. Aftermarket housings and axles, along with any gear ratio, are allowed.
c. Driveshaft Loop: Required.

7. Electrical:
Battery may be relocated. Electrically driven fans and water pumps permitted. Charging system not required.

8. Electronics:
a. The following electronics are not permitted; timed ignition interruption devices (stutter boxes), delay boxes, air and mechanical throttle stops, air shifters, dual line locks.
b. Electronic ignition components are permitted. 2 Step Module Selectors permitted with manual transmission only.

9. Engine:
a. Block: Restricted to original assembly line block or aftermarket replacement block. Must be same make as body used. Aluminum blocks allowed. Any displacement and internal modifications are allowed.
b. Carburetion: Limited to two four-barrel American automotive carburetors.
c. Cylinder Heads: Aluminum aftermarket heads allowed. Must retain original external overall appearance. Any internal modifications allowed.
d. Intake Manifold: In-line dual four intake manifold required. Class I: cast only, Class II: sheet metal permitted.
e. Oiling System: Dry sump systems permitted.
f. No power adders permitted.

10. Exhaust:
Open headers allowed.

11. Fuel:
Only gasoline fuel is permitted. Aftermarket fuel cells, electric fuel pumps and regulators allowed. No nitrous oxide.

12. Ignition:
Any aftermarket ignition systems, wiring and electronic conversion kits are allowed. See “Electronics” restrictions above..

13. Radiator:
Any size radiator in stock location allowed. 16 oz. catch can required.

14. Safety:
a. Helmets: Must meet SNELL or SFI 31.2A or 41.2A specifications. All helmets must have the appropriate certification sticker affixed inside the helmet.
b. Protective Clothing: Jacket and pants must meet SFI Spec 3.2A/5.
c. Seat Belts: Required in all vehicles. Three inch safety harness must meet SFI Spec 16.1 and be less than two years old.

15. Steering:
Stock type steering in conventional location required. Rack and pinion steering permitted.

16. Suspension:
Aftermarket front suspension permitted. Front suspension limiters permitted. Solid bushings in rear suspension allowed. Leaf springs may be moved inboard for tire clearance. Ladder bars or four-link rear suspensions allowed. Wheelie bars allowed.

17. Tires:
Front tires must have a minimum tread width of 4.5 inches. Rear slicks are permitted and are limited to a maximum side wall designation of 14.5 inches of width by 33 inches of diameter. Tire tread may not extend outside of fender. Maximum clearance between sidewall and body is 3 inches.

18. Wheelbase:
Modifications and alterations of the era permitted. Vehicle must appear stock to the casual observer.

19. Wheels:
Minimum 3.5 inches width required on the front. Any rear width is allowed as long as it fits under the stock wheel well opening. Era-correct wheels are encouraged.

20. Rule Discrepancy: In the event of a rule discrepancy or if a subject is not covered herein, defer to the current NHRA rule book based on vehicle Elapsed Time. Rule adjustments subject to "spirit of the class" by NNPSA.

21. Technical Inspection: The guidelines set within, and the safety rules set forth by NHRA are intended solely as the minimum acceptable standards. Safety is the responsibility of the participant. Prior to competition, all vehicles and drivers must pass the host facility’s tech inspection. NHRA safety regulations supersede any and all other regulations. The final interpretation of any and all rules concerning safety is solely at the discretion of the host facility’s Tech Director. NNPSA makes no representations, warranties, or assurances that a technical inspection will: detect every problem with a vehicle or a driver’s personal equipment or clothing; detect every problem with rules compliance, or prevent injury, death or property damage. All materials copyright 2009 Jeff Johnson and the National Nostalgic Pro Stock Association.

Last edited by sixpackjeff; 06/01/09 11:20 PM.
Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! [Re: sixpackjeff] #309870
05/28/09 03:35 PM
05/28/09 03:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm jazzed about these rules! This is almost exactly the way I envisioned this class should be 3 years ago. I think most folks will be able to do this, without too much trouble. If ya afford to build this type/fast of car, I think this is a worthwhile goal to work towards. Let's face it, nothing looked cooler than the first 2 generations of prostock cars. I guess I'll have to get my butt in gear, and do the last few things to the barndoor..........

Post deleted by Defbob #309871
05/28/09 03:42 PM
05/28/09 03:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! #309872
05/29/09 12:37 PM
05/29/09 12:37 PM
Nebraska
R
RaceCarRegistry Offline
super street
RaceCarRegistry  Offline
super street
R

Nebraska
Looks good to me - remember, you can't please everyone. -- Reed in Neb.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! [Re: sixpackjeff] #309873
05/30/09 11:28 AM
05/30/09 11:28 AM
Charlotte, NC
L
LSP Offline
pro stock
LSP  Offline
pro stock
L

Charlotte, NC
Why the no tube car rule for class I? The tube chassis cars started coming out in 1972. You are eliminating a bunch of ERA correct cars, for example, the Roy Hill (ex Butch Leal) Duster you have pictured would not be allowed to compete.

We have the John Hagen Pro Stock Duster, the car is being restored right now out west to be identical as it was run in the mid 70's Lenco and all, and I am putting together an ERA correct destroked 396 Pro Stock Hemi to the core, right down to those ungodly heavy steel rods.

Need to say that the McCandless Demon is as correct as I've seen a Mopar Pro Stock resto, job well done.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! [Re: LSP] #309874
05/30/09 09:22 PM
05/30/09 09:22 PM
Yes
S
sixpakdodge Offline
master
sixpakdodge  Offline
master
S

Yes
What about '70-'72 Darts? I know there were a few in P/S during that time.

Also, Wedges are allowed correct? Whether it be big or small block?

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! [Re: LSP] #309875
05/31/09 12:04 AM
05/31/09 12:04 AM
O-H-I-O
sixpackjeff Offline OP
mopar
sixpackjeff  Offline OP
mopar

O-H-I-O
Quote:

Why the no tube car rule for class I? The tube chassis cars started coming out in 1972. You are eliminating a bunch of ERA correct cars, for example, the Roy Hill (ex Butch Leal) Duster you have pictured would not be allowed to compete.

We have the John Hagen Pro Stock Duster, the car is being restored right now out west to be identical as it was run in the mid 70's Lenco and all, and I am putting together an ERA correct destroked 396 Pro Stock Hemi to the core, right down to those ungodly heavy steel rods.

Need to say that the McCandless Demon is as correct as I've seen a Mopar Pro Stock resto, job well done.

You can easily run in Class II. Only the sub compact cars used tube chassis early on. The Hill Duster is from 1975. Bring your car. Let's race!

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! [Re: sixpakdodge] #309876
05/31/09 12:07 AM
05/31/09 12:07 AM
O-H-I-O
sixpackjeff Offline OP
mopar
sixpackjeff  Offline OP
mopar

O-H-I-O
Quote:

What about '70-'72 Darts? I know there were a few in P/S during that time.

Also, Wedges are allowed correct? Whether it be big or small block?

Wedges are welcome, no problem. Dart Swingers? Give us some examples, please.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! [Re: sixpackjeff] #309877
05/31/09 07:52 AM
05/31/09 07:52 AM
Charlotte, NC
L
LSP Offline
pro stock
LSP  Offline
pro stock
L

Charlotte, NC
Quote:

Only the sub compact cars used tube chassis early on. The Hill Duster is from 1975.
Quote:

Not sure where you got that info from, after Pomona in 1972, most, if not all of the serious pro stock cars were started as tube cars. I'd call class I stock frame regardless of year, and class II tube cars regardless of year, because you could have had it either way back then. The picture may be from 1975, but the Leal/Hill car pictured was started at Butler's late 1972. Our car is still in process, might be able to make a late October race.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! [Re: LSP] #309878
05/31/09 08:00 AM
05/31/09 08:00 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I thought the Jenkins 73 Vega, was the first tube-chassis prostock car.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! #309879
05/31/09 08:19 AM
05/31/09 08:19 AM
Charlotte, NC
L
LSP Offline
pro stock
LSP  Offline
pro stock
L

Charlotte, NC
I never looked under the car myself, but I had thought the Jenkins 1972 Vega run at Pomona that year was the very first tube car. Jenkins is also credited with the first dry sump/strut in pro stock, but we have a dry sump system the was on one of the early Missle cars, just not sure which one? Our car was the very first out of the Don Ness Racecraft shop, and had/has a strut front end also.

The point is, there are many late 1972 to 1976 tube cars (Dusters/Darts) that are excluded in the rules as they are written, would be good to add the early tube cars to the Class II section as well.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! #309880
05/31/09 11:00 AM
05/31/09 11:00 AM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
As I recall, Jenkins '73 car would be considered a back-halved car in modern parlance, in that the front subframe was still there & converted to struts. Which leads to a question---- can such a car run N/PS and if so, is it a class I or II car?

BTW--ANYONE looking for a retiree (54 yrs young) to sign on as a crewmen? PM me PLEASE if you are.

Last edited by hemicop; 05/31/09 11:02 AM.
Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! [Re: hemicop] #309881
05/31/09 11:53 AM
05/31/09 11:53 AM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
I believe Jenkins 74 "Shovel nose" vega was his first McPhereson strut car, prior to that they were the conventional Back halved w conventional front UCA/LCA spring cars, I'm sure the original 72 car was (which I believe was the same car he ran in 73), 72 was all white and in 73 he added the candy red. 74 was the 'all new' car but by then the Gapp & Roush, Nicholson and Glidden 351C cars were already starting to become dominant in the Class.

IIRC the 73 weight breaks were 7 lb/ci Hemi, 6.5 Lb/CI Wedge and 6.75/ lb/ci for the Canted valve motors like the BBC and the 351C....Jekins saw he could get the rear weight distribution better with the strut suspension and when Mopar went to a destroked 396 and 366 Hemis the tube frame was really the only way to ge the weight down to competitive numbers. A little later they went to the over under 105" WB break which was aimed at making the Big Blocks more competitive again but unexpectedly brought in the G&R Maverick Taxi and later the 70 Mustangs of Nicholson and Glidden.

Last edited by Streetwize; 05/31/09 12:07 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11