09/28/22 09:44 PM
Wisconsin
wkroncke17 Offline OP
master
wkroncke17  Offline OP
master

Wisconsin
All,
Got the shifter mounted and have wires hooked up for the neutral safety switch.
My question is….has anyone used this? Where do we run the wire to on the relay?
I have the diagram from the instructions but want to be 100% sure I’m going to the right place so it works.
I don’t have the factory one hooked up or the wires run, so I’d like to use this one.
Hopefully it’s been used with good results.

Thanks all!

Wally.

FD562A10-E5F5-4A42-81BC-E34F7AD4F581.jpeg
Re: Hurst shifter neutral safety switch? [Re: wkroncke17] #3081585
09/28/22 10:39 PM
09/28/22 10:39 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
I use a good 4 terminal Ford or intermittent duty Cole Hersee solenoid. The Cole Hersee is much more robust.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The two small studs are hot and ground to engage the solenoid and connect the main studs. Doesn't matter which is which.

There's a few ways to do it. Run the 12v positive from the switch, through the neutral switch, to the solenoid, is one of them.

I prefer the way most OEs do it. Run a single wire from starter switch direct to one of the solenoid studs. Then run a ground wire from the second stud to the neutral switch, and then out to a chassis ground, in effect, switching the ground rather than the hot with the neutral switch.

This will also require a short jumper on the starter from the small stud/spade to the large battery stud, with the main battery cable being the only thing run to the starter..

If you are using the factory Mopar relay, the wire from the neutral switch will go to the terminal usually connected to the transmission switch - marked "G", with the other going from the neutral switch to chassis ground. When the shifter is not in P or N, there should be no ground provided to the G terminal on relay/ground stud on solenoid. The rest of the factory wiring can remain with the factory relay.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by CMcAllister; 09/28/22 10:53 PM.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.