S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by ruderunner
Doesn't mean it does anything. They're known to be marginal behind slant sixes.

That's exactly the point. Having a pinion snubber works regardless of power level. My Diplomat with a 2bbl 318 and a 7 1/4 had a snubber and it got used regularly, the witness marks on the body showed that.

My 51 Plymouth with it's original flathead 218 could use one, wheel hop is horrible on that car.

Re: anyone using an 8.8 Ford in a B body? [Re: Sniper] #3011729
02/02/22 10:36 PM
02/02/22 10:36 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
That was the reason bolt on traction bars were invented, to eliminate wheel hop. Bolt on traction bars got a bad wrap because on some very high performance applications, with high traction, they could cause the rear axle housing to twist. If your making that kind of power and have that kind of traction, the 8.8 probably isn't going to cut it, nor will an 8 3/4 very long.

The original purpose of the pinion snubber was to limit the axle movement when the passenger and luggage load was at the maximum capacity, to protect the u joints from contact with the floor pan. The original design was not intended for high performance applications. If your slant 6 car or your 318 car have had the pinion snubber make enough contact with the floor pan to leave a mark, your rear springs have probably sagged, or have been loaded to the maximum load capacity too many times. You need to fix your weak spring problem. The same deal with the 51 Plymouth, originally the rear axle was several inches away from the floor pan. If you feel the need for a pinion snubber, readjust the ride height back to what it originally was, or add more clearance for the driveshaft and rear end, or correct your weak spring condition. The pinion snubber idea from a performance perspective was something Chrysler performance came up with after the street Hemi was introduced, and the adjustable pinion snubber was introduced for drag racing so you could adjust the rubber bushing against the floor pan.

If traction is the concern (or eliminate wheel hop), adding a clamp at each of the leaf spring ends on the front segment of the spring pack. That will solve the wheel hop, and most of the traction problems in a higher performance car. Its about the same concept as bolt on traction bars, but the clamps are cheap (you can use the worm gear hose clamps). Understand that if you are making high HP and have lots of traction, you could twist the axle housing. I can tell you without hesitation, I have put a lot of power down on the street with lowly bolt on traction bars (clamped spring ends and bolt on traction bars gave pretty good traction) for a lot of years and have never twisted an axle housing. I've broken a lot of rear ends (spider gears and ring & pinion gears), wore out a few sure grips, killed a bunch of U joints, motors, transmissions, and I have destroyed a lot of tires, but have never twisted an axle housing. Gene

Re: anyone using an 8.8 Ford in a B body? [Re: poorboy] #3011786
02/03/22 05:39 AM
02/03/22 05:39 AM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
The reason the Ford 9" became the differential of choice for race cars is because of the 3rd pinion bearing support at the head of the pinion gear. That 3rd bearing is needed on the 9" because the other two pinion support bearings are too close together to keep the pinion gear stable. Another reason the 9" was preferred over the Dana 60 is because you can mount the four link or ladder bar brackets closer together so you can fabricate a narrower rear frame section to fit wider tires. The factory Ford stuff is garbage though, if it wasn't for the aftermarket support of the 9" it wouldn't be anywhere near as popular.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: anyone using an 8.8 Ford in a B body? [Re: 70rrclone] #3017228
02/20/22 11:08 PM
02/20/22 11:08 PM
N.Wilkesboro,NC
D
DusterKrazy Offline
master
DusterKrazy  Offline
master
D

N.Wilkesboro,NC
I believe one of the members on the Dodge Charger forum did this. I think his username was "Toocheaptosmoke". He did this on a 1970 Charger. I think he had a Youtube channel as well.
I don't really see anything wrong with using an 8.8 if that's what you can afford or get. As long as my engine and transmission are Mopar, It's all good in my opinion. Can't stand LS swaps...etc (yes, the fan boys can get mad over this..I don't care)..
I priced out that swap a while back. An 8.75 was going to run almost $2k. 8.8 around $700 tops.
I'm not going to tell anybody how to build their car or how to spend their $$ regardless.I'm not made of $$$ and can't swing nearly $3k for a Strange 60 rear end assembly...

I even remember some member here even getting angry over dash ideas on my Charger because I wanted to make a cluster for it with Auto Meter gauges. He said it would be messing the car up. It was a basketcase car left behind a livestock barn for 30 years with a stripped interior. Not an R/T or any such thing...

What about all that repop Taiwan sheetmetal?? That's not OEM either but it has saved thousands of cars...

I believe all that was required on the '70 I mentioned was getting spring perches in the right place. Obvious stuff like u-joint and drive shaft mods..etc.

Last edited by DusterKrazy; 02/20/22 11:17 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4