04/10/07 12:17 AM
04/10/07 12:17 AM
toronto, ohio
A
andyoucankeepit Offline
andyoucankeepit  Offline
A

toronto, ohio
i ended up buying the aluminum but havent had time to experiment with it yet. are any of the other colors of silvers working for anyone? there is a stainless steel, and i think a pewter. i wanted to go with a lighter silver, so i picked aluminum.
maybe the mixxing of spray can metallics between coats comes out good....i might attempt that.

03 cobra, 85 mustang, 59 galaxie, 68 sportster
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 78D150CLUB] #27339
04/10/07 09:31 AM
04/10/07 09:31 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hmm,

I could not find the post on the aluminum paint. Does anyone have experience with it? I wonder if you could mix the alumninum with a light grey and get silver.

The other option I have found is to use some pearl additive to get at metallic effect. Something like this http://www.paintwithpearl.com/Pearls/silver/silverpics.htm

but I think you would need to add the pearl material to a base color and cut the base and pearl mixture with some clear.

Anyone been able to find or use the rustoleum clear? I have been to the local Lowes and Home Depot and they don't have clear.

Thanks,

Nathan

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27340
04/10/07 02:05 PM
04/10/07 02:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Very nice.... although, I wouldn't wait too long before polishing, it's actualy a little easier while the paint is still 'soft'. I did my truck after about 48 hours, looks like a red mirror.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27341
04/10/07 06:30 PM
04/10/07 06:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Aussie- Have been following Brightside posts with great interest. Last weekend I switched to Brightside dark blue after failing at perfection with Rustoleum. I added penetrol only in first couple of coats and was stunned how it flowed out. Last night, I unscientifically added more, maybe 50% and it came out like crap. Very mottled/orange peely. What percentage have you determined to be the best ? Are you also adding Mineral Spirits ? Also, has anyone found a good way of toning down the Brightside Fire Red with out making it look like a muddy mess ?

Thanks,

AL

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 78D150CLUB] #27342
04/10/07 06:32 PM
04/10/07 06:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I didn't do a spray can job as such, I just applied enough between layers of TremClad to add the sparkle without adding any color, then applied the next layer over and wetsanded.
Beware of aluminium paint, it's mentioned in earlier posts as being totally different to work with and it doesn't sand or polish like regular TremClad does. IIRC, it's not a good base to paint over, either.

id really like to see some pics of your progress if u could

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27343
04/10/07 08:16 PM
04/10/07 08:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Aussie- Have been following Brightside posts with great interest. Last weekend I switched to Brightside dark blue after failing at perfection with Rustoleum. I added penetrol only in first couple of coats and was stunned how it flowed out. Last night, I unscientifically added more, maybe 50% and it came out like crap. Very mottled/orange peely. What percentage have you determined to be the best ? Are you also adding Mineral Spirits ? Also, has anyone found a good way of toning down the Brightside Fire Red with out making it look like a muddy mess ?

Thanks,

AL

I use a slightly different method to most people when it comes to thinning the paint. A couple of years ago I bought a piece-of-crap electric sprayer which came with a little cup with a hole in the bottom of it. The cup is dipped into the paint and you then time how long it takes for the cup to empty.

I have been using this method. I usually add about 400ml of paint, then about 100ml of Penetrol and then I add mineral spirits until I get a total cup flow time of 30 seconds. Once I'm at the 30 second mark, I'm ready to paint.

And I'm really happy that the plastic cup is more useful than the piece-of-crap electric sprayer.....

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27344
04/10/07 08:29 PM
04/10/07 08:29 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!
78D150CLUB  Offline

Ontario, Canada
My truck has been done for about 6-8 months, but if you do a username search, you'll be able to see the pics I took during the process. Not the best quality, but I took Exit1965's advice and bought a better camera with the cash saved on the paint job

The metallic doesn't show too well in a pic, but it's quite noticeable in sunlight. If we ever get any here, I'll wash the winter glop off and take a few new ones.
This is during finishing stages last July\August.

3428927-d26.jpg (559 downloads)

I want to die like my Grampa, peacefully, in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27345
04/11/07 11:52 AM
04/11/07 11:52 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Aussie- Have been following Brightside posts with great interest. Last weekend I switched to Brightside dark blue after failing at perfection with Rustoleum. I added penetrol only in first couple of coats and was stunned how it flowed out. Last night, I unscientifically added more, maybe 50% and it came out like crap. Very mottled/orange peely. What percentage have you determined to be the best ? Are you also adding Mineral Spirits ?
Thanks,

AL

I use a slightly different method to most people when it comes to thinning the paint. A couple of years ago I bought a piece-of-crap electric sprayer which came with a little cup with a hole in the bottom of it. The cup is dipped into the paint and you then time how long it takes for the cup to empty.

I have been using this method. I usually add about 400ml of paint, then about 100ml of Penetrol and then I add mineral spirits until I get a total cup flow time of 30 seconds. Once I'm at the 30 second mark, I'm ready to paint.

And I'm really happy that the plastic cup is more useful than the piece-of-crap electric sprayer.....

I think that viscosity cup would be a great tool for our purposes. I can't seem to find one though. I had to use the method 69DartGt used:
"... the second and later coats I thinned until after I stirred and picked the stir stick up out of the paint I could count to about 10 then the paint would go from a stream to drops if that makes sense. The paint seemed to lay down better much less orangepeel and no rolls, I had to do a lot of sanding after my first coat to get it to were I could paint again."

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27346
04/11/07 02:23 PM
04/11/07 02:23 PM
Orange County, CA
J
Jolly_Raj_R Offline
Jolly_Raj_R  Offline
J

Orange County, CA
Quote:

I think that viscosity cup would be a great tool for our purposes. I can't seem to find one though. I had to use the method 69DartGt used:
"... the second and later coats I thinned until after I stirred and picked the stir stick up out of the paint I could count to about 10 then the paint would go from a stream to drops if that makes sense. The paint seemed to lay down better much less orangepeel and no rolls, I had to do a lot of sanding after my first coat to get it to were I could paint again."

I did some poking around on the web and apparently the proper name for the viscosity cup you're talking about is a "Zahn Cup"... You measure the time it takes to empty the cup.. It's worth a search with the official name to see if they sell them outright.. According to Wikipedia its a common enough thing in the painting industry..

hope that helps

Raj
...maybe pulling an Exit1965 and painting his car white this summer..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Jolly_Raj_R] #27347
04/12/07 01:58 PM
04/12/07 01:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok, so I am going to try this again now that the weather has stabilized. I am going with the Brightside and I have a couple questions.
1. has anyone laid Brightside over SEM self etching primer or any other self etching primer?

2. If so were there any adhesion issues?

3. Do I thin the Bright side or let it roll full strength?

Thanks!!!!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27348
04/12/07 05:34 PM
04/12/07 05:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27349
04/12/07 07:23 PM
04/12/07 07:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

someone used it with his Van Sickle paint. actually had some nice results.

_taF

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: Radio Joe] #27350
04/12/07 10:24 PM
04/12/07 10:24 PM
Texas
T
texczech Offline
texczech  Offline
T

Texas
I always seemed to have the dirt specks, but it was only a minor detail because I was concerned with thinning,smooth application,roller type etc...Now I am convinced that this is for real. I am using brightside and I have tried straight, thinned,with the reccommended thinner and other stuff- still pleased with the shine.The specks are my main problem now. I got a medium clay bar and it did take the specks out- you could feel them before, and after the clay bar you couldn't feel them , but see the spots where they were.I am now trying to lessen the speck effect. I think that since the brightside dries so slow, dirt has a chance to settle and affect the paint more so than if the paint dried faster. IF I could lessen the "dirt" speck problem, I would be fairly well satisfied with the final finsh, even with some orange peel.I'm thinking that on my earlier coats I didn't give the dirt specks enough attention and kept rolling over them and maginfying their effect. I would really like to hear from others who may have had to deal with this, if they had this.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: texczech] #27351
04/12/07 11:55 PM
04/12/07 11:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I've been painting with Rustoleum pro outside and have also had some issues with dirt specks and pollen in the paint.

I've noticed that if the paint is just the least bit tacky when the dirt hits it, it sort of sits up on top of the paint and doesn't really get "in" the paint. When the paint sets up the dirt and muck is pretty easily removed without any flaws in the paint. Usually don't need sandpaper to do it, just wet it all down and run my hand over it or a fingernail to remove it. It hasn't been a real problem.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: texczech] #27352
04/13/07 09:00 AM
04/13/07 09:00 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I dealt with some dirt specks, but mostly dog hair. As soon as I saw the dog hair settle on (I was only looking at the area I was painting) I would stick my finger in there and take it out then roll over to cover the smudge.

I think dust specks come out pretty easy with wetsanding. You may want to just wetsand/polish where the specs are if you're satisfied with the rest of the finish.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: texczech] #27353
04/13/07 11:16 AM
04/13/07 11:16 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A clean garage helps (if you have one available.) I took a leaf blower to mine; blew out all the dust one day, did it again the next day. I then took a hose and sprayed water on the floor. Someone in a previous post recommended attaching a chain to the car to ground it and keep it from attracting dust. I got a kick out of the coach painting site: (http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/paint.html.) He said,"It's not unknown for the coach painter to go to extreme lengths in order to obtain the cleanest possible finish by wearing lint free overalls or simply just shorts and covering the human body with Linseed oil, this will stop human body fallout elliminating skin dust, hair, fluff etc from falling and contaminating freshly painted panels."

I don't think we wanna go that far...I'm trying to erase this image of us all oiled up, wearing nothing but German lederhosen shorts and carrying a roller!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27354
04/13/07 11:27 AM
04/13/07 11:27 AM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
I rolled mine in the driveway, but each morning I would wet down everything close and get to rolling, it helped a bunch.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27355
04/13/07 07:04 PM
04/13/07 07:04 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
78D150CLUB  Offline

Ontario, Canada
My neighbors would have had a fit!!

I want to die like my Grampa, peacefully, in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: 78D150CLUB] #27356
04/14/07 12:01 PM
04/14/07 12:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

yeah, i've read on here how some ppl did it in some public parking lot or even in the parking lot of their apartment residence, even next to other cars. idk how they can do that. i wonder if they were ever complained on. i'm still in the process of painting mine, but there is so much mess and paint marks i can't remove.

_taF

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27357
04/14/07 08:05 PM
04/14/07 08:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Roller painting tubing ?

anyone done it ?

I need to paint black gloss on the tubes of a dragster

I did half of it today with spray cans ,
sanded down the old flacking paint /rust and then spray bombing it so that it would not rust again,

But I need it to be a better finish on the areas you see that is not covered by the aluminum panels.
I am afraid it I really thin it out that the paint will go around the tube and start dripping,

Any ideas or is iot better to get out the compressor

thanks
Beaulieu

Page 145 of 159 1 2 143 144 145 146 147 158 159