in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

This is why I always take things to a UPS store, packed but still open and then pay them to package it and insure it. This way when they claim improper packaging I can say, well you packaged it and were paid to do so. Happened to me before, took some arguing but I got the money for it and it was shipped overseas.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Shipping damage, what say you? [Re: Guitar Jones] #2727961
12/29/19 11:36 AM
12/29/19 11:36 AM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline
master
DrCharles  Offline
master

West Plains, MO
I've read that UPS will still initially deny the claim... the excuse is that most UPS Stores are franchises and not actually owned by UPS, so the store is responsible. realcrazy

Re: Shipping damage, what say you? [Re: DrCharles] #2727980
12/29/19 12:36 PM
12/29/19 12:36 PM
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

Yeah I'm pretty sure the store paid me. Whether he got his money back I don't know but it's not my concern.
Actually this particular transaction wasn't for damage but rather theft. The buyer in England claimed when he opened the box there was just bricks. The product was in there when it left my hands at the UPS store as witnessed by the clerk/owner so...

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Shipping damage, what say you? [Re: Mr T2U] #2728010
12/29/19 02:31 PM
12/29/19 02:31 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOoC Online penguin-006
The village idiot's idiot
dOoC  Online Penguin-006

Florida STAYcation
Originally Posted by Mr T2U
to reply to the people who say UPS always wins i will say not always.
i will keep my story as short as possible to not hijack this thread.

about 8 years ago i bought a almost new full carbon fiber bicycle, including the wheels, at 80% off what it should have been worth.
it was packed by a bike shop then it was put in a wooden crate. when it was shipped UPS opened the box inspected and approved of the pack job, charged me a fee for that and shipped it insured for $3K. at the end of the line UPS drove over the bike with a truck. there were tire tracks over the crate when it was delivered. the truck must have been fully loaded because the crank, part between the pedals was bent significantly.
they initially claimed the usual bike was packed wrong. i informed them to be insured for anything over $500 THEY had to pack the item, this was the rule at the time to get insurance at the $$$ amount it was insured for. if they wanted to fight payment i would have no problem going to court. note...... i have a old HS classmate that works at a law firm that represents politicians. i didn't tell UPS this info.
UPS said good luck so my friend filed a lawsuit asking for damages, and punitive damages to cover attorney fees.
when i finally got my day in court. at the initial hearing UPS argued it wasn't packed properly. my attorney countered to insure item for the high $$$ it was insured at THEY had to pack the item. we produced a receipt with the additional fee i paid to do so and also showed the bent crank to the judge. after a few rounds of debates the judge held the bent crank up and asked the UPS attorneys what amount of packing would be required to prevent this damage. he also mentioned in his opinion you could drop the crank off a 20 story building and it wouldn't bend a crank like it was. he then gave a temporary recess for the attorneys to talk. after 20 min of discussion between attorneys, my attorney informed i would have my $$$ in a week.

Holly chit .. through all this - what did you recover ?

Re: Shipping damage, what say you? [Re: dOoC] #2728029
12/29/19 03:45 PM
12/29/19 03:45 PM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
i got a check from UPS for $3k. this is what the bike was insured for and what the bicycle was really worth.
i do believe, my friend never told me the exact amount, the law firm got $2K for legal fees.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: Shipping damage, what say you? [Re: Mr T2U] #2728038
12/29/19 04:12 PM
12/29/19 04:12 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOoC Online penguin-006
dOoC  Online Penguin-006

Florida STAYcation
i got a check from UPS for $3k. this is what the bike was insured for and what the bicycle was really worth.
i do believe, my friend never told me the exact amount, the law firm got $2K for legal fees.

So that was a settlement and not a judgement? No punitive damages ?

Re: Shipping damage, what say you? [Re: dOoC] #2728047
12/29/19 04:30 PM
12/29/19 04:30 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.
Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass

I believe recovering the legal fees would be considered the "punitive" damages. Am I right?

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: Shipping damage, what say you? [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2728049
12/29/19 04:43 PM
12/29/19 04:43 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Punitive damages are damages assessed in order to punish the defendant for outrageous conduct and/or to reform or deter the defendant and others from engaging in conduct similar to that which formed the basis of the lawsuit. Paying for the other side's legal fees is compensatory damages, what it cost to make the plaintiff whole again.

Re: Shipping damage, what say you? [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2728052
12/29/19 04:45 PM
12/29/19 04:45 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOoC Online penguin-006
dOoC  Online Penguin-006

Florida STAYcation
Sonny ... for as much as what T-guy went through P damages should have been ANOTHER 3 large on top of legal fees.

T did everything right and the UPS management was out to ROB T out of a legit claim

Re: Shipping damage, what say you? [Re: jcc] #2728089
12/29/19 06:55 PM
12/29/19 06:55 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by jcc
1. I just heard today about what the buyer is thinking as to resolution, meaning i'm assuming UPS is not reachable until Monday.
2. I understand the original box may not be the best container, but it looked fine, and was the original shipping box.
3. The items were two separately boxed and joined 12" speakers, package weight 54lbs
4. According to pics, there was obvious exterior box damage.
5. both speaker cones appeared to be almost completely destroyed, they are a plastic/carbon fiber material, but how exactly is not clear
6. I do have pics of perfect functional speakers pre shipping, but not sure that proves the way they went in the box.
7. The time delay seems to me to be buyers biggest unexplained hurdle.
8. I get UPS is not my friend in this matter.

What can I expect to be Paypals typical response before I start opening cans of worms here?

How bad was this box damage ??? Enough to cause the damage to the speaker cones??? and If so why would the buyer not open the boxes immediately for inspection??
I'm smelling horsesh-t or a scam here. As previously mentioned, anything could have happened during that time twocents
At this point I'd roll the dice and tell him to pound sand

Re: Shipping damage, what say you? [Re: TJP] #2728144
12/29/19 09:08 PM
12/29/19 09:08 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline OP
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline OP
J

Bitopia
The damage in the pic only showed a couple inch hole, and you can almost make out the backside of the speaker. It does not correspond to the the complete destruction in his other pics of both speakers cones. I'll see if I can attach a pic Mon.

Thanks guys, all the viewpoints have been helpful. up

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Shipping damage, what say you? [Re: TJP] #2728151
12/29/19 09:22 PM
12/29/19 09:22 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Not to detail this thread but:
There was a UPS truck that broke down in front of my house a few weeks ago while making a delivery (across the street from me). After sitting there for about 30 minutes, a Penski Rental truck showed up, and backed up to about 3' behind the now dead UPS truck. Both truck drivers proceeded to "move" the packages on the UPS truck to the rental truck. At more then a few points, my wife and I watched packages flying from the inside of one truck to the inside of the other truck (a distance of easily more then 6'), but both drivers were in the same truck. A few of the packages were picked up off the street and were placed into the truck they missed in the fly though process. I must admit, there were several packages that were handled pretty delicately, but probably less then 20% of what was on the original truck. The entire package swap took about a 1/2 hour, it was a smaller UPS truck, but it must have been pretty full. Upon completion of the package swap, the UPS driver got into the rental truck and drove away, presumably to make the day's deliveries. The guy that was driving the rental truck got into the UPS truck, and drove it away, with a trail of liquid following it up around the turn.

My wife commented on how the drivers just through the packages from the one truck to the other with little regard as to what may have been in the packages.

My shop used to be next door to our local UPS hub. I often repaired their aluminum 2 wheel dollies. Part of the repair was to make sure they were delivered to the hub, and I was to stop in the office with a receipt and get paid. Very prompt payment, always. On several occasions I witnessed the truck loading process. All I will say is when you ship packages, pack them like you would expect them to get thrown into the truck, especially if they are light weight, or small. At the time, our local hub had 43 trucks. The packages arrived on semis (often with pup trailers) from 3 different locations, and the packaged were unloaded from the semis, sorted, and loaded onto all 43 trucks in about 6 hours time with about 6 employees. Christmas time was worse (but at least there were extra people). How much care would you expect to see? Gene

Re: Shipping damage, what say you? [Re: poorboy] #2728159
12/29/19 09:50 PM
12/29/19 09:50 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline
master
DrCharles  Offline
master

West Plains, MO
About 20 years ago I had the opportunity to observe the trucks being unloaded onto a belt and the packages picked off the belt... yes, they do throw them. No time or space to set them down gently. I'm sure the process is not slower than it was, too.

I also got to put on a set of "browns" and spend the morning with a driver in his package car (what UPS calls the delivery step vans). That driver was really earning his pay that day, and glad to have a helper. It's not an easy job physically, especially with the red tag (70+ lb) packages.

However, I would not expect to see a tire track printed on a box, or a forklift tine punched through it!

Re: Shipping damage, what say you? [Re: DrCharles] #2728163
12/29/19 10:26 PM
12/29/19 10:26 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Yea, the lift fork through the package, and a tire mark across one is a bit extreme. Having seen how the stuff is handled at a hub, can you imagine how things go at an airport? In bad weather? There are reasons these things are kept out of site for most people.

The shipping industry is not the only profession where the details of the real processes are generally kept out of the average persons site. I can think of a lot of stuff that is normally done during the course of a day in many professions that I really don't want to know about. Often its better to understand that there are times things don't go according to the plan, and its usually much better if we really don't get the know all the little details of the plan and accept sometimes things go wrong. The problems occur when we don't want to pay for things that go wrong with other peoples plans, and they expect us to. Gene

Re: Shipping damage, what say you? [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2728210
12/30/19 08:20 AM
12/30/19 08:20 AM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass

I believe recovering the legal fees would be considered the "punitive" damages. Am I right?

in my opinion you are correct.

my case was SETTLED OUT OF COURT so terminology differences are irrelevant.
the only thing i know 100% is i got a check for $3K.
my lawyer friend told me the legal bill was taken care of, it was paid by UPS. i didn't have to worry about paying that. my friend told me there was about 15 billable hours mostly filing motions and phone calls between lawyers , he told me that while i bought him a expensive lunch after i got the check. i never got any exact details on what was required to handle the case and what exactly the legal firm got paid..

perception is 90% of reality
Re: Shipping damage, what say you? [Re: poorboy] #2728212
12/30/19 08:29 AM
12/30/19 08:29 AM

R
RWG75
Unregistered
RWG75
Unregistered
R

I've never been around an airport freight ramp but I'm thinking it's a way different thing from a truck loading dock. I'm thinking packages thrown and kicked in to those airplane shaped containers rather than thrown and kicked in to the plane like luggage. Some kinda effort made to balance the load because a nose heavy cargo plane is a way different thing than a nose heavy van trailer. There's also the FAA angle and the real cost of mishaps. Bump your cargo handling vehicle in to a trailer, not that big of a deal even if you put the forks through the wall. Bump in to an aircraft and it's a huge deal even if you don't scuff the paint. I had a FedEx call center as a customer for several years and heard some of the stories.

Having driven a forklift for a few years I'll just say that punching a fork in to a box happens more than you want to know. As for tire tracks, it's less common. Most generic freight trailers have barn doors and the driver needs to open them before backing in to the dock. If the pallets on the tail are light enough and not properly secured they can and do end up on the ground.

Remember the old Samsonite commercials with the suitcase in the gorilla cage? I try to keep that in mind when packing boxes.

Re: Shipping damage, what say you? [Re: ] #2728334
12/30/19 03:41 PM
12/30/19 03:41 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I've had two incidents of parts damage in shipping, first one was a pair of fibreglas doors I bought from Herb McCandless years ago, Roadway freight delivered them to my shop in SO CA. The package had a forklift tonque, probe, lift, size and shape hole on one side and it went through one of the doors shock whiney
I called Herb to let him know and Roadway ended up paying me for the total package price of both doors and they took the damaged door and I got to keep the other one shruggy
The second claim was on a used crankshaft B motor 4.25 stroke crankshaft that I had bought from Ohio Crankshaft company a long time ago, I bought six now ones and the one used one, three new RB and 3 new B and the one used B one for me. I ended up using three of the new ones on customers builds before unpacking the used one I bought for myself. I didn't notice it was damaged on the rear flywheel mounting flange, it was bent a bunch shock, before taking it to the machine shop along with the rods, pistons and so on for balancing. The shop called me when they noticed it and I got it back and gave them one of then ew ones for my build. I called the freight company about filing a claim, I think it was UPS ground, and they told me that it was insured for $100.00 puke
I called Ohio Crankshaft and told them about it being bent and ask why they had only insured them for $100.00 each, I sent it back to them and they replaced it with a new one and paid for shipping it to me for no out of pocket expenses to me boogie
I had ask them to send me another new one and insured it for $1300.00 but they no, ship it back and we will take care of it devil work
I had paid right around $400.00 each for the new ones and $200.00 for the used one shruggy
I haven't been so lucky on new defective engine parts that had failed in the motor, which has been more than one whiney

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 12/30/19 03:43 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Shipping damage, what say you? [Re: ] #2728381
12/30/19 07:41 PM
12/30/19 07:41 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline
master
DrCharles  Offline
master

West Plains, MO
Remember the old Samsonite commercials with the suitcase in the gorilla cage? I try to keep that in mind when packing boxes.

I have had airline baggage handlers crack not one, but two Samsonite suitcases over the years. Nary a gorilla in sight shruggy

Re: Shipping damage, what say you? [Re: DrCharles] #2728425
12/30/19 10:05 PM
12/30/19 10:05 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline OP
jcc  Offline OP
J

Bitopia
UPS has stated today a shipper has 90 Days to report a claim for damage, that seems strange to me.

But from what I read here as to the UPS's track record of actually paying for a claim, they could make it 2 years, since they never pay anyway. eyes

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Shipping damage, what say you? [Re: DrCharles] #2728518
12/31/19 12:32 PM
12/31/19 12:32 PM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source
migsBIG  Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source

San Jose,CA
Originally Posted by DrCharles
About 20 years ago I had the opportunity to observe the trucks being unloaded onto a belt and the packages picked off the belt... yes, they do throw them. No time or space to set them down gently. I'm sure the process is not slower than it was, too.

I also got to put on a set of "browns" and spend the morning with a driver in his package car (what UPS calls the delivery step vans). That driver was really earning his pay that day, and glad to have a helper. It's not an easy job physically, especially with the red tag (70+ lb) packages.

However, I would not expect to see a tire track printed on a box, or a forklift tine punched through it!

About maybe 15-20 years ago I shipped a 1970 C-body dash pad to a guy through UPS bubble wrapped 3 layers, double hard foam cover and wrapped twice in cardboard and then boxed. Got a call from the guy that the box showed up bent into a 'V' shape with a forklift tire down the center. UPS said they would not over the claim as it was not properly packaged to prevent damage is shipment. How the heck do you package a product to survive a 4 ton forklift running over it!? After about 18 packages being lost, damaged, ruined or delivered late (one was 6 weeks late), I gave up on the and have been Using FedEx for the last 15 years and have had only one problem out of a couple hundred packages shipped. I have turn order down if the buyer insisted on using UPS. Plus FedEx is cheaper too.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3