03/19/07 02:47 AM
03/19/07 02:47 AM
Kansas
D
dalbers Offline
dalbers  Offline
D

Kansas
went to home depot to get some rollers about a month ago and they were sold out. went again yesterday and still sold out. don't know if it is just a coincidence or not, but I think there are a lot more people trying this then we can imagine. also, not to get off track, but I "made" these wide white wall tires and then painted my rims with red rustoleum.

3374405-HPIM0317.JPG (638 downloads)
Last edited by dalbers; 03/19/07 02:48 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: dalbers] #27139
03/19/07 07:47 AM
03/19/07 07:47 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

just thought i'd share my colour mixing results. i applied another coat tonight with some white in it also, but at this stage it looks like i put in to much blue...

here's some of the previous coat, and the aim, well something similar anyway, mayb a bit more green, but then the miura colour looks very yellow in some pics...

sorry, just realised how large that last pic is, and also sorry for the dodgy phone quality pics

Last edited by zedevan; 03/19/07 07:48 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #27140
03/19/07 08:08 AM
03/19/07 08:08 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Marq:

I've been looking around at some of the "burgundy" offered by different paint manufacturers, and it's occured to me that I'm really looking for a burgundy that's much more on the red end of the spectrum than the purple. Then it occured to me with your repeated comments about a "deep, dark red", that you and I may be searching for the exact same color! I've attached a photo of the car that I consider my absolute ideal. Does the "deep, dark red" in the back of your mind look anything like this?

Chris

3374543-69h_00211_2.jpg (2067 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27141
03/19/07 11:49 AM
03/19/07 11:49 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm new to this forum, have been reading this thing for a while now. After reading and a little practice decided to attempt the process on my 1979 Chevy Luv 4x4.

Spent almost my entire Spring break doing it, very pleased and amazed how well it turned out.

This shot is a couple days before buffing.

Here's a buncha pics, they are in a bit of reverse order. http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/LUV4x4/During/

Can also see more over at Luvtruck.com forums, my nic there is 79-luv'r

Thanks again to Martin for getting this whole thing started!
[image][/image]

3374896-Luvrepaint.jpg (351 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27142
03/19/07 02:01 PM
03/19/07 02:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Luv4x4: is that rustoleum or brightside?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27143
03/19/07 02:03 PM
03/19/07 02:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rustoleum. Couldn't find Brightside around here.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27144
03/19/07 02:06 PM
03/19/07 02:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Looks good ... Let us know how the buffing/polishing goes.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27145
03/19/07 05:07 PM
03/19/07 05:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey Chris! That's the color I'd like to do my Mustang. Any luck getting any more info from the Top Secret guys? Maybe we can split the cost as a gallon should more than cover 2 cars.

Last edited by thorn; 03/19/07 05:07 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #27146
03/19/07 05:43 PM
03/19/07 05:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Maybe a gold mine here with the top secret stuff???

http://www.topsecretcoatings.com/automotivepaint.asp

Man this has me itching to 'experiment' again. Must resist, at least till after the car is running!

also the site says basically if you want it to harden, you need to add the hardener..

Now I know I'm new here exit, but I've read through the entire thread. I thought it was about time for you to change colors/paints again. Then we could all just se how well yours turned out (Again).

Actually I'm curious about the pros/cons of epoxy vs. poly.

Top secret sells a brush on clear coat for the epoxy, so I would assume that the main product would not be as shiny as the standard poly. Would that be safe assumption? In that case, I'd want to stick to the poly, so that it would be easy to touch up later.

But if you wanted a multicoat, or even to experiment with metallics, maybe the epoxy is a valid choice.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27147
03/19/07 06:15 PM
03/19/07 06:15 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
well, there is a bit of orange peel in the paint i have now. after my car is running im thinknig of sanding it flat and laying on 2 more coats to it, then put it in the sun to bake. im going to experiment with hardeners at that time too.

My hood still needs to be painted hatteras white too, its still canvas white..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #27148
03/19/07 08:16 PM
03/19/07 08:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Man this is a long read! I have been up the last two nights reading, and ive had dreams about painting my car! lol. Exit... How's the brightside holding up? Do you think you have had any changes in the color since you have painted it? Also did you thin the Brightside at all? Im contemplating using the Brightside or trying the secret coatings like the TS-4 Urethane Reinforced Alkyd Gloss or the TS-100 1-Part Epoxy. I have some testing to do soon. Oh and hi im new to the thread! lol

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27149
03/19/07 08:21 PM
03/19/07 08:21 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Marq:

Also, I recall that you had spent some time perusing boat-painting forums to help form your opinion on which product was best to try for our application (that's how you settled on Brightsides, with AWLGrip coming in 2nd place overall if I recall). Any recollections about the reputation of Pettit Easypoxy or any other specific brands? Or anything to specifically stay away from?

Chris

The Pettit Easypoxy is a fantastic paint BUT... it has a more complicated surface preparation procedure than any of the other polyurathane paints. Most boaters would probably rank the Pettit as longer lasting and more durable ( since it is an epoxy ) But the surface preparation take it out of the hobbyist realm and a lot of them agreed that it was better to pay a pro to do the Pettit paint job on a boat rather than do-it-yourself.

Now on the topic of 'creating' a burgundy... you might want to play a game of midnight chemist with the Brightside Flag Blue and the Brightside Fire Red. Under 'normal' color blending situations, a Blue cut with a percentage of Red 'should' get you to a deep burgundy.

I played a little game on an online color blender and it looked like if you played with some sample blending of 10% up to 30% red against the blue, you 'should' land on a deep burgundy somewhere in that range.

If you fall back to one of my previous messages, where I spelled out how to set up a little paint palette and did some percentage combinations of colors to work out what the blending results would look like, you might get lucky.

The only proviso is that we know from experience that Fire Red combined with Black always got us a murky muddy or pottery brown color ( instead of the deeper and darker red that we would have anticipated ).

So there is no guarantee that the Fire Red combined with the Flag Blue will work out 'as it should in theory'. But it will give you something to test out. If it doesn't work... at least you will have satisfied yourself about going that route. If it does work... you should be able to land on the exact color of your dreams just by figuring out the right percentages for blending.

Marq.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #27150
03/19/07 08:29 PM
03/19/07 08:29 PM
Bakersfield, CA
K
kenzo42 Offline
kenzo42  Offline
K

Bakersfield, CA
Aussie, any updates w/ the Miata?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27151
03/19/07 08:40 PM
03/19/07 08:40 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Marq:

I've been looking around at some of the "burgundy" offered by different paint manufacturers, and it's occured to me that I'm really looking for a burgundy that's much more on the red end of the spectrum than the purple. Then it occured to me with your repeated comments about a "deep, dark red", that you and I may be searching for the exact same color! I've attached a photo of the car that I consider my absolute ideal. Does the "deep, dark red" in the back of your mind look anything like this?

Chris

Hi Chris

I just saw the picture of your 'dream' color and I was mistaken... I was envisioning the more deep purple that is almost bordering into the blue range. That color you have in the picture strikes me as something of a blood red wine type color.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/3374543-69h_00211_2.jpg

After seeing that picture, I have to admit that it is a a gorgeous color and looks spectacular on that car body. I really think you have to work to land on that color, rather than submit to a simple Flag Blue. No offense meant to the blue car owners in the viewership here... but that blood red wine color would be the one that drops the jaws if a Flag Bue was parked next to it.

The 'good news' is that if you follow that recipe I gave you with the Fire Red and the Flag Blue, you 'should be able to land on that color - it will just require you to start from a 30% to 60% Fire Red to the Flag Blue.

Try this to see for yourself.. how it should work in theory...

Go to the web page at :

http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/color-blend/

For the "Color 1" insert : #000099

For the "Color 2" insert : #FF0000

Set the selector to give you 10 midpoints...

Then hit the BLEND button.

You should get a palette of 12 colors show up in a gradient. With Flag Blue at the top and Fire Red at the bottom - with the theoretical color blendings in between.

Since it is set up a 10 gradients, you can almost take that to be 'percentages' of colors to arrive at each of the results.

I love that color you envision... stick with your dream... it's gorgeous.

Marq

Last edited by Marq; 03/19/07 08:47 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: kenzo42] #27152
03/19/07 09:01 PM
03/19/07 09:01 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Two questions have been raised that I will attempt to address...

a ) Epoxy paints... and
b ) Top Secret brand paints.

a ) With epoxy paints there is usually more surface preparation required than say a polyurathane or a Tremclad/Rustoleum Enamel. With the Pettit brand the surface preparation was enough to scare off most boating 'do-it-yourselfers'. IF you were to give consideration to an epoxy base paint you DEFINITELY should research what surface preparation or base coats you will HAVE TO DO according to that paint manufacturer. In some cases the surface preparation may be minimal and ideal for a 'do-it-yourselfer'... OR in some cases it may be a nightmare scenario with a lot of pre-painting work that will make it not seem like the right route to take. An epoxy paint should have superior adhesion and hardness... BUT that very hardness may be the downfall in the automotive situation where the 'skin' has zero flexibility. Put it on a rubber bumper and it 'may' crack off when the bumper is bumped for example. Even a road chip may be sufficient to chip a chunk of it when hit hard enough - rather than flexing with the impact. Again, you need to see what the particular paint manufacturer has to say about the flexibility of the paint on a specific type of surface...

b ) Believe it or not I had read about the Top Secret brand of paint - and if I was living in the States I would probably have given them strong consideration as a potential paint. YES, they have an incredible color range... and YES I had read about a number of people who were thrilled by the results of their paint. Shiny, ease of application and overall great results. So the Top Secret brand may be another resource that the folks on the US side of the border can add to our paint type arsenal. I believe they will ship beyond the US borders. So I would have no qualms about giving their paint a try based on what I read about the company, their quality of customer service AND the quality of their paints.

That having been said... I would restrict my search of colors and product with Top Secret to their TS-4 paint - which is a ONE PART POLYURATHANE... ( notice that I am deliberately choosing their one-part polyurathane over their epoxy paint... )

If you go directly to the TS 4 page, you can check out their color selection and their product bio...

http://www.topsecretcoatings.com/ts-4_urethane_reinforced_alkyd_gloss_4849821.htm

I will post their product bio here as well since it says the very things that we WANT to see in a possible paint candidate :

Quote:

Our advanced 1 Part Urethane Reinforced Alkyd provides a waterproof enamel like finish that is so tough, so durable you will want to use it in a wide variety of applications. Provides excellent service on automobiles, parts, heavy equipment, off road vehicles, trailers, machines, interior and exterior trim or anywhere protection from exposure to challenging weather conditions requires the toughest alkyd on the market today.

Like our TS 100 1 Part epoxy it is a blend making it an unusual and exceptional product to use. TS 4 can be used almost anywhere and in almost any application where you want a hard, tough, long-lasting finish inside or out.

Use it with confidence in any exterior application where exposure to water, hot sun, and extreme wear conditions are typically a problem. Great for interior or exterior uses where protection from heavy foot traffic, abrasion, or typical wear and tear is a concern.

TS 4 offers the ultimate in a tough, highly durable, protective finish that excels in a wide variety of automotive, mechanical and industrial applications.

It comes in 36 stock colors, plus 13 camouflage colors, however, we can provide you with any custom color by special order.

It dries quickly and self levels to a hard gloss finish that is excellent for wood, metal, concrete, ceramics and most any surface conceivable.

Not available in clear.

Spray, brush or roll it on! It is self-leveling, lead-free, non-toxic and resists chipping, cracking peeling and chalking when properly applied.

Economical to use because coverage is approx 400-450 square feet per gallon however, actual coverage area depends on the color, texture and porosity of the surface being coated. For best results reduce and clean equipment with TS 101 Thinner.

Usually only one coat is required. Apply by brush, roller or spray. Available in quart, gallon or five gallon cans.

Marq

Last edited by Marq; 03/19/07 09:10 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27153
03/19/07 09:14 PM
03/19/07 09:14 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

just thought i'd share my colour mixing results. i applied another coat tonight with some white in it also, but at this stage it looks like i put in to much blue...

here's some of the previous coat, and the aim, well something similar anyway, mayb a bit more green, but then the miura colour looks very yellow in some pics...

sorry, just realised how large that last pic is, and also sorry for the dodgy phone quality pics

I think you did a quite fabulous job at landing close to the color you wanted. Kudos !

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: kenzo42] #27154
03/19/07 09:15 PM
03/19/07 09:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok ... I talked to a technical guy at Top Secret Coatings:

http://www.topsecretcoatings.com/automotive_paint.htm

I'm going to be trying the TS-100 1-part epoxy.

He raves about the TS-100 1-part epoxy ... he says it has an "85-90%" gloss rating. Whereas most automotive paints have a 75% gloss rating. He says it will last a very very long time. Doesn't need a primer coat -- gan go right onto bare metal. Very good self-leveling. $84.00 per gallon. This is a new formula, and they are thrilled with it. He reeled off a long list of many industries using it -- military, etc. The one that stuck in my head is the fishing lure industry ... he says they can't get enough of it.

One thing to keep in mind, tho ... if you try to paint on top of TS-100, you might have compatibility problems, depending how the new paint is thinned. If it uses mineral spirits-type of thinner, it will be fine. But their TS-2 2-part polyurethane would have a bad reaction.

Their TS-2 (2-part polyurethane) is tougher. Costs $103.00 per gallon. Contains Isocyanates. But has slightly lower gloss than the TS-100 epoxy and doesn't self-level as well.

Their TS-4 urethane reinforced alkyd seems to be similar to Interlux Brightside ... he says it's much better than Rustoleum ... "A very good value for the money." He said this was a precursor to the TS-100.

Basically, every time I asked about any of their products, he ended up going back to TS-100 1-part epoxy. They are obviously very proud and excited about this product. It wasn't a sales pitch, it was obvious he believed in it.

I've got a quart of glossy white TS-100 coming, and I'll post results on this forum when I've had a chance to try it out.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27155
03/19/07 10:01 PM
03/19/07 10:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I know nothing about "Top Secret"

But from their website and what you have posted they sound like used car salesmen

Whatever you want we can fill your order, I always question things that sound "too good"
and better than anyone else....

Beaulieu

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27156
03/19/07 10:05 PM
03/19/07 10:05 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Montanaman, good info and I look forward to the results. At $28 a quart it's cheaper than brightside and the color selection looks better.

Did the TSC guy mention anything about the hardness? On the site, it says

Quote:

Speed up dry times or harden with TS 160 Accelerator / Hardener.

I wonder if the results people are ranting and raving about (according to the guy you talked to) are straight applied from the can, or if they are hardened with the additive.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #27157
03/19/07 10:52 PM
03/19/07 10:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I wonder if the results people are ranting and raving about (according to the guy you talked to) are straight applied from the can, or if they are hardened with the additive.

You know, I forgot to ask him about the hardener, but I sent him an email with that question after our phone conversation. I'll let you all know as soon as I get more info on that.

Beaulieu: I've dealt with a lot of salesmen, and I can smell them from a mile away. The guy I talked to really didn't sound like a salesman at all. He sounded more like a techie. This is not a large company like Rustoleum, and I get the impression he doesn't do sales. I asked for someone who could answer technical questions, and I got him.

Nevertheless, the proof will be in the test results. We'll see what happens when the paint arrives. Unfortunately, I've never brushed or rolled Rusto or Brightside, so I won't be able to give you a direct comparison any time soon.

Remember: There were a lot of people who said Charger's rolling method sounded too good to be true.

Page 135 of 159 1 2 133 134 135 136 137 158 159