11/09/06 10:29 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I've heard it's too small of a spray. There would be alot of overlapping of wet lines = more potential for error. But I have seen a book where they did a whole bumper w/ it. Do you ask this b/c the CFM requirements are less?
If so, maybe an Astro LVLP or conventional gun if you're looking to spray w/ a small compressor.

You got it! I was looking at a Gravity Feed gun from harbour freight for only 15 bucks. Even that gun is pushing the limits of my compressor requiring 5cfm@40psi if I recall correctly. I was thinking of just using regular car paint. My compressor only spits out 4.5SCFM@40psi and its like a 1.3HP one too lol...

Maybe next summer i'll buy a decent HVLP gun and rent the compressor...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26259
11/10/06 01:13 AM
11/10/06 01:13 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

I've heard it's too small of a spray. There would be alot of overlapping of wet lines = more potential for error. But I have seen a book where they did a whole bumper w/ it. Do you ask this b/c the CFM requirements are less?
If so, maybe an Astro LVLP or conventional gun if you're looking to spray w/ a small compressor.

You got it! I was looking at a Gravity Feed gun from harbour freight for only 15 bucks. Even that gun is pushing the limits of my compressor requiring [Email]5cfm@40psi[/Email] if I recall correctly. I was thinking of just using regular car paint. My compressor only spits out [Email]4.5SCFM@40psi[/Email] and its like a 1.3HP one too lol...

Or spend $6 on a 5 pack of rollers

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26260
11/10/06 02:50 AM
11/10/06 02:50 AM
Bakersfield, CA
K
kenzo42 Offline
kenzo42  Offline
K

Bakersfield, CA
Quote:

Quote:

You got it! I was looking at a Gravity Feed gun from harbour freight for only 15 bucks. Even that gun is pushing the limits of my compressor requiring [Email]5cfm@40psi[/Email] if I recall correctly. I was thinking of just using regular car paint. My compressor only spits out [Email]4.5SCFM@40psi[/Email] and its like a 1.3HP one too lol...

I too seriously considered automotive paint, but for a couple reasons, I decided not to:

1)Exposure to ISO. Who knows if I'm actually sensitive to it after 1 exposure, but my lungs are worth more to me than my car.I would have bought a fresh air respirator (not charcoal filter, won't work!) but that led me to my next reason.

2)Neighbors. I wouldn't want my neightbors to expose me to ISO, so I won't do it to them. If you did it in your garage (heater needs to be turned off), you would need to exhaust it into your neighborhood. Also, BIG fine if you get caught (at least here in CA). Epoxy really smells and I'd hate to get overspray onto my neighbors cars.

3)I have yet to see a 110v compressor that could handle HVLP. Moisture will be created when compressor is refilling, if doing panel by panel. 230v prices really jump.

5)Brightside/Tremclad seems at least up to par w/ oem BC/CC paint.

6)It needs to be at least 65-70 degrees.

7)I'm doing white. If it were any other color, I would probably do BC/CC.

I'm doing Brightside on a car door later this week. I'll see how it looks. If I don't like the results, I'll do the body work and have someone else spray it.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: kenzo42] #26261
11/10/06 09:18 AM
11/10/06 09:18 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Kenzo,

I started down the route to spray a car myself. I borrowed one compressor and it was not enough then another and it was still on the edge. Trying to setup a garage to paint (without being turned in to the police) and then wait on the weather and then pull the trigger all at once and if any problems then WAIT and do it all over again - is a pain.

I also called around my area and tried to rent a booth, and then went as far as to see if Maaco would just spray my paint ($250 worth of paint and reducer that I had purchased originally for this car.) and they refused. Plus in doing in my garage, the prep work for getting it ready to spray is A LOT (wet and dry floor, full masking of car, masking of areas of my garage I did not want painted etc.) Plus the cost of a good gun is about $100-$150 and then the air compressor. Now lets say that I have all the equipment and my garage is set to go, now I STILL need to purchase lacquer thinner to clean out my gun, charcoal respirator (disposable), and the paint cost as mentioned above.

I was 90% there and then found this thread. I had borrowed two air compressors, had a friend with a nice gun that was going to spray it and had purchased the paint. Then the weather turned (rain, lower temps.) and we waited for 2-3 weeks and could not get the right combination of weather and my friends time. In the mean time I read all of this thread and went at it. I returned the air compressors, am sending back the paint.

In the end even if I had sprayed the car - if I was going to wet sand I would be in the same position that I am now - polishing.

This method is first of all CHEAP!!!! Secondly you can do it any time at your own pace (just a fender etc.). This is not a flame, just telling everyone my experience and why I chose this method. Hope this helps!

Mike

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26262
11/10/06 10:05 AM
11/10/06 10:05 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mike or anyone that has done this type of painting... Has anyone let the cars sit outside exposed to the sun/heat/rain? I've been reading boating forums and most have complained that Brightside loses its lust after a season. As Charger mentioned long ago, this type of paint requires a lot more care and maintenance.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26263
11/10/06 10:20 AM
11/10/06 10:20 AM
MD, USA
V
v8mirage Offline
v8mirage  Offline
V

MD, USA
Quote:

This method is first of all CHEAP!!!! Secondly you can do it any time at your own pace (just a fender etc.). This is not a flame, just telling everyone my experience and why I chose this method. Hope this helps!

Mike

Mike and all that is exactly my perspective on this. I started with just a fender, then both front fenders, then the hood, now the body of the car. This method is fantastic!!!

Let me tell ya tho, it has a lot of my friends and neighbors scratching their heads. Anyone that has sprayed a car or worked in a bodyshop is VERY skeptical. However I have never been one to follow the crowd, just because that is the way its always been done, and this just continues in that tradition. Thanks 69Charger!!!

Gerbs

3053967-bodyos001.jpg (333 downloads)
Last edited by v8mirage; 11/10/06 10:23 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26264
11/10/06 11:57 AM
11/10/06 11:57 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Mike or anyone that has done this type of painting... Has anyone let the cars sit outside exposed to the sun/heat/rain? I've been reading boating forums and most have complained that Brightside loses its lust after a season. As Charger mentioned long ago, this type of paint requires a lot more care and maintenance.

Here's what my routine maintance is: 1. drive car, 2. wash car, 3. wax once a year.

no more maintance than a reagular paintjob.

Although my cars are garaged, they see very heavy use in the summer, and sit outside in the rain, ect when i go to the cottage, and i've had no issues. if it does get dull (which has not happened to me) just crack out the buffer, and 1 hour later all shiny again.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: v8mirage] #26265
11/10/06 12:03 PM
11/10/06 12:03 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Mike and all that is exactly my perspective on this. I started with just a fender, then both front fenders, then the hood, now the body of the car. This method is fantastic!!!

Let me tell ya tho, it has a lot of my friends and neighbors scratching their heads. Anyone that has sprayed a car or worked in a bodyshop is VERY skeptical. However I have never been one to follow the crowd, just because that is the way its always been done, and this just continues in that tradition. Thanks 69Charger!!!

Gerbs

People who have'nt sprayed in their garage have no idea how much work and mess it makes. it's a major PITA. This painting method is so easy it hurts, for the time/effort vs the result there is nothing eaiser/cheaper/better.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26266
11/10/06 08:09 PM
11/10/06 08:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Mage33,

My son's car that we did does sit outside. Now we have just completed the process with the polishing in the past week, so I do not have any time test? 69Charger has done this for some time and had multiple cars that look great after years.

Mike

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26267
11/10/06 08:24 PM
11/10/06 08:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

People who have'nt sprayed in their garage have no idea how much work and mess it makes. it's a major PITA. This painting method is so easy it hurts, for the time/effort vs the result there is nothing eaiser/cheaper/better.

I sprayed primer to get ready for the paint job and what a mess of spraying and cleanup. I can say if you think that you may mess this up then I can only imagine what you may do with a spray gun - runs, overspray from one pass to the other, uneven etc. To spray a car you need to have a gun that will lay it on fast and even, a compressor that can keep up (if not you are hosed waiting) and then skill to put on the paint in the right layers and timing. The auto paint will flash quickly and if you do not lay down your adjoining layer in the right time and amount you will have some paint dry and other just going on, resulting in overspray on your new paint. Just putting on the primer I did a lot of sanding to "fix" my spraying - and that was just primer. This is why I was going to have someone that knew what they were doing spray the car. All that to say it is a pain to spray in your garage. Once I found this method I was thrilled!

Mike

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26268
11/10/06 10:05 PM
11/10/06 10:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i painted my car in the garage and there was a little smell, but no cops and the neibors didnt care about the painting. i always has a comercial fan in the window blowing out the fumes/dust. never once did the cops come. i did have some dirt in the paint after it dried, but i got a nub file and it was gone. now i buffed the car i can see the rest of the bubbles that didnt pop, so i will use the nub file to get rid of them. then re polish then do a final glaze then wax then finish the interior then go to the world of wheels...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26269
11/10/06 10:43 PM
11/10/06 10:43 PM
Bakersfield, CA
K
kenzo42 Offline
kenzo42  Offline
K

Bakersfield, CA
Quote:

Quote:

I sprayed primer to get ready for the paint job and what a mess of spraying and cleanup. I can say if you think that you may mess this up then I can only imagine what you may do with a spray gun - runs, overspray from one pass to the other, uneven etc. To spray a car you need to have a gun that will lay it on fast and even, a compressor that can keep up (if not you are hosed waiting) and then skill to put on the paint in the right layers and timing. The auto paint will flash quickly and if you do not lay down your adjoining layer in the right time and amount you will have some paint dry and other just going on, resulting in overspray on your new paint. Just putting on the primer I did a lot of sanding to "fix" my spraying - and that was just primer. This is why I was going to have someone that knew what they were doing spray the car. All that to say it is a pain to spray in your garage. Once I found this method I was thrilled!

Mike

Did you spray w/ 2k? Or rattle can? I'm curious if 2k is compatible w/ Brightside/ Tremclad? I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Last edited by kenzo42; 11/10/06 11:20 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: kenzo42] #26270
11/11/06 12:32 AM
11/11/06 12:32 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I sprayed with 2K Primer. According to 69Charger this is not necessary, but I had originally started down another path. The Rustoleum went over it just fine.

Actually I was talked into complete chemical strip of the car (long process), body work, prime and paint. If I knew then what I know now. I would have sanded the existing paint, done body work and then painted the Rustoleum directly on it.

Mike

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26271
11/11/06 02:18 AM
11/11/06 02:18 AM
Bakersfield, CA
K
kenzo42 Offline
kenzo42  Offline
K

Bakersfield, CA
I understand body filler to be very porous. Exit mentioned that he had filler w/ NO primer and it sucked up the paint and made a little patch that differed from the rest of the car.

I don't know about glaze, but from my understanding, filler needs to be top coated w/ primer. I've heard it mentioned before that Evercoat glaze doesn't necessarily need a primer, but scratches might swell. A sealer is another alternative.

I've used rattle can primer over scuffed paint on a perfect panel in the past, and it failed miserably. If it isn't 2k, I feel confident the paint will knick off when a rock hits it regardless of how hard the paint is, since it's an adhesion issue. It might have worked better if I didn't use rattle can primer at all and just painted straight over scuffed paint.

Hope this made sense.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: kenzo42] #26272
11/12/06 10:22 PM
11/12/06 10:22 PM
MD, USA
V
v8mirage Offline
v8mirage  Offline
V

MD, USA
I painted right over the filler and glaze with my Rustoleum. By about the 3rd or 4th coat it was covered like the rest of the car. You couldn't tell any difference in the surface after that time. Even after wet sanding it was no longer visible.

Gerbs

Last edited by v8mirage; 11/13/06 08:26 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: v8mirage] #26273
11/12/06 10:44 PM
11/12/06 10:44 PM
N
noisydart Offline
super gas
noisydart  Offline
super gas
N

Chargeryeehaw, I've got to commend you for this post. I was one of the original responders in it's infancy. It just keeps on tickin- you've helped many. And if moparts had an award for the
most influential and long lasting p ost,
obviously this would be it. And it was started by someone else- did anyone ever hear from him?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: v8mirage] #26274
11/13/06 02:11 AM
11/13/06 02:11 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ok so can the brightside/marine paint be painted over bare metal and filler?? if not, what brands/type of primer can one use besides the recomended primer from the company of paint u use?? lets say i use some autoprimer and decide to paint my car with brightside, will they be compatible? also what if i use autoprimer and paint rustoleum, would that work, cause right now im not sure if ima do marine paint or rustoleum but i need to primer some spots up so they dont rust.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26275
11/13/06 09:30 AM
11/13/06 09:30 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

ok so can the brightside/marine paint be painted over bare metal and filler?? if not, what brands/type of primer can one use besides the recomended primer from the company of paint u use?? lets say i use some autoprimer and decide to paint my car with brightside, will they be compatible? also what if i use autoprimer and paint rustoleum, would that work, cause right now im not sure if ima do marine paint or rustoleum but i need to primer some spots up so they dont rust.

i do not know anyone who's painted brightside over bare metal. but it does go over filler, primer, or rustoleum.

I think either rustoleum or brightside would do fine over any primer (hope I'm not sticking my neck out here) since these two paints are not harsh on what's underneath them. if you were to use a 2 part hardened paint then you would probably have issues with the paint pulling up what's under it, but rustoleum and brightside seem to not be very tough on it.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Exit1965] #26276
11/13/06 03:03 PM
11/13/06 03:03 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I think either rustoleum or brightside would do fine over any primer (hope I'm not sticking my neck out here) since these two paints are not harsh on what's underneath them. if you were to use a 2 part hardened paint then you would probably have issues with the paint pulling up what's under it, but rustoleum and brightside seem to not be very tough on it.

I don't think Brightside is too concerned with the type of primer that it is painted over. Originally my car started off with a number of different types of spray bomb primers over the bodywork that I had done.

With Brightside, it normally is rolled over fiberglass or aluminum boat bodies. Surface preparation is no different than if you were going to slap a paint on top of a regular paint job. Sand the surface to get it smooth and remove any gloss and then wipe down with mineral spirits to get all the debris off the part to be painted.

Now... regarding questions about the longevity of a Brightside paint job... I have only ever found a few folks who had anything bad to say about the Brightside paint...

a ) a number of them used Brightsise on their decks and they found it treacherously slippery. ( They did not add the recommended grit component for walking surfaces ).

b ) a number of them gripes that it did not stand up to constant wear and tear... Again, these are people who used this paint on horizontal surfaces where people WALK on the paint or possiblly sunbath on...

c ) a number of them griped about having used Brightside INSIDE the boat and it discolored. Well.. let's go and check their kitchens at home and see how well their kitchen paint held up to the cooking oils and steams that discolor that paint. It's the same problem. But I would suspect they can't take a bottle of Fantastic cleaner to their kitchen walls without removing a few layers of paint.

d ) and the last group of gripers all seemed to have NOT prepared their surfaces properly prior to painting. It's sad when they do a slam bam quickie paint job and then wonder why the paint didn't perform miracles to counter the lack of surface preparation. Paint over wax... and the paint will peel. Paint over a surface that is covered with surfactants and the paint will not adhere. Paint over an unprepared glossy surface and than blame the paint for not adhering to it ?

Questions of water or chemical exposure never seem to point a finger at the Brightside having any shortcomings... And the same applies to questions about UV or sun/heat exposure... there just aren't too many negative associations between the paint and those elements.

But ultimately... like any painted surface that is exposed to the elements it does pay to polish and wax the surface at least once per season.

If you go to any marina supplier, you will find shelves stocked with waxes and polishes for boats. Yet... there are probably 50% of the boaters who have never polished or waxed their boats. This is no different than the majority of car owners that never apply wax or polish to their cars. And when the paint on those boats or cars ages, the lazy owner is left stumped wondering why the other guy's boat or car is shinier...

I did think it was worthwhile to share two quick stories here about my Brightside paint job... For some odd reason it is looking 'better today' than it did when I originally finished it back in August.

Now... part of that I chalk up to the fact that I have been using my other three cars and I was sitting on top of the convertible looking for flaws. My eyes were looking at the car in the same way that a stranger would, who was seeing the car for the first time.

I thought my mind and eyes were playing some kind of self delusional trick on me UNTIL I had a friend over who is the proud owner of one of those sparkling new top end Corvettes. The guy has bucks and this Vette was his gift to himself. Anyhow, to make a long story short when he saw my car he could not believe that it was a 'rolled' paint job. He thought it was the original factory paint job.

Now... I know how picky this guy is with his own car... and I know that he does not give false compliments just to be nice... So it sort of confirmed to me that this paint job did turn out as good as I could have wished or paid for at a pro paint shop.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Marq] #26277
11/13/06 06:44 PM
11/13/06 06:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I spend about an hour and a half reading the original posts for this topic, and am quite impressed! A few questions I either didnt have time to find, or just plain didn't see are:

What if you want to paint over a car that already has bc/cc on it? Should I just sand off the clear down to the base,and then roll the Tremclad on it? If this is possible, then Im guessing that not as many coats (depending on the new color) would be needed. Im guessing wet sanding between coats would still be necessary.
Also, does anyone have pics of a '69 Fury that isn't just plain jane? Any stripes or anything that breaks the monotony of the body?

Page 91 of 159 1 2 89 90 91 92 93 158 159