09/17/06 03:12 PM
09/17/06 03:12 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Bob, what gun are you using and how about overspray when you did the cab?
You thinned per mfg. intructions?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69DartGT] #25759
09/17/06 03:31 PM
09/17/06 03:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Need some help from the Rustoleum users.

I have used the Rustoleum Professional series of paint in doing my fiber glass dune buggy body. I have two coats of paint on with good coverage. Two days between coats for ample drying time. It may be 4 or more days before I do my 3rd coat.

Question I have is in regards to hardness. With my finger nail, I can mar the surface of the paint. Not a deep scratch or even a shallow scratch, but a line in the paint where the surface gloss is marred.

Will the final sanding and polish out of the paint remedy this marring? Will I be able to mar the finish after the polishing process?

The quality of the paint finish is fine for the buggy but I want a finish that will not scratch or mar and right now, I don't think I can achieve that. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do the final finsh sanding and polishing.

Any sugestions.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69DartGT] #25760
09/17/06 05:19 PM
09/17/06 05:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Bob, what gun are you using and how about overspray when you did the cab?
You thinned per mfg. intructions?

It is a cheap-o Vaper HVLP gun ( about $55 ) that I found at some online discount tool place. It was the cheapest gun I could find that came with a regulator on the base of it. Overspray is not bad, I am painting in the yard and laying it on with a fine mist. I am thinning the paint almost as thin as for rolling, using low odor mineral spirits.Still get a little orange peel, but it sands down easily with 1000 grit wet.

I did find out one of the bad things about Rustoleum: It doesent dry when painted on bare seam sealer ( the cheap kind for a caulking gun )

Bob

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25761
09/17/06 09:20 PM
09/17/06 09:20 PM
Ohio
P
pdqvsix Offline
pdqvsix  Offline
P

Ohio
I have done enough coats (gloss white) now to drive the car, still need to final wet sand and polish. Went out driving last night and stopped for gas, as i opened the door there was a sign i didn't see and the door hit it pretty hard. I was sure it caused a scratch or nick in the paint but when i looked there was no damage at all.At first, for a split second i was mad about hitting that sign but quickly came to my senses and realized heck all i have to do if it's damaged is get the roller back out and touch it up.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25762
09/17/06 11:10 PM
09/17/06 11:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have read about half the pages on this thread with great interest.

I bought a can of black Rustoleum Professional the other day and it says on the label to thin with Acetone. I seem to recall something about not using acetone as it will dry too fast. I thought I also read the Professional was preferred over the "regular" Rustoleum.

Some guidance please.

Bob

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25763
09/18/06 08:45 AM
09/18/06 08:45 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Marq:

Did I understand correctly that you painted the underside of the hood with Brightside? Can that paint take the heat of the engine compartment? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25764
09/18/06 09:45 AM
09/18/06 09:45 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Can Marq or anyone who has used brightside comment on the hardness? I was hoping my rustoleum would be 'rock hard' by now, but I can still put an indentation in it by slicing it with my fingernail. I don't know how this will affect polishability (I guess it would?) but I don't like the fact that it isn't 'rock hard' yet, after 2 months or so..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25765
09/18/06 12:18 PM
09/18/06 12:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I have read about half the pages on this thread with great interest.

I bought a can of black Rustoleum Professional the other day and it says on the label to thin with Acetone. I seem to recall something about not using acetone as it will dry too fast. I thought I also read the Professional was preferred over the "regular" Rustoleum.

Some guidance please.

Bob

goodluck with the black, i chose white for its ability to hide imperfections and im still getting a bit of the peel, might be worse with black (originally was going to do black, but chose white even though it requires a 100% color change from the original black)..

mineral spirits is the reccomended thinner of choice, I can't recall why acetone wasn't reccomended, but I can vouch for mineral spirits ability to thin and dry fairly fast.

the professional I believe boasts quicker cure times than the original stops rust.

just finished 3rd coat on my car, have 99.9% coverage (just some dark spots here and there). looks incredible, the roof already has a satisfactory amount of shine from 3 feet away. everything glistens but upon examining my own reflection i see the old 'peel. No big deal though, my car already looks 500% better than it did, and I can always buff out the orange peel. Issue is, I'm getting lazy and tired and my extended weekend has come to an end with only 3 coats applied to the car..

I wet sanded this morning. It sucked. I didn't use a sanding block and got a bunch of highs and lows. Miraculously, the coat I just applied saved my tail as it leveled itself. After I apply the fourth coat, hopefully wednesday, I'll sand that evening and finish up friday and saturday with 5th and 6th coats. I really wish I could call it quits after 100% coverage but I know I'd burn through the paint with sandpaper, as I did a bit this morning.

Best of luck, Bob.

BK

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25766
09/18/06 01:00 PM
09/18/06 01:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

read my post... the last page. Acetone comes out better but should only be sprayed.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25767
09/18/06 01:23 PM
09/18/06 01:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

About what ratio did you use with acetone thinner? I recently got a compressor, and spray gun. Was thinkin about just using a spray on since it seems quite a bit faster.

Also, how many coats did you do to get full coverage?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25768
09/18/06 03:20 PM
09/18/06 03:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hello everyone,

First of all, A BIG THANK YOU to 69Charger for sharing his idea

I had been following the thread for several weeks and 2 weeks ago I decided to give it a shot and paint my 1993 Ford Probe GT which had awfully faded and oxidated original paint, even some rust. I did 2 coats, wetsanded 600 grit, 2 coats, wetsand 600 and coat #5 which ended up being the last. I was going to do 6 but I did a good job on #5 and didn't want to ruin it.

I don't plan on doing any polishing. The 5th coat is nice, flat and shiny with minimal orange peel. Will the shine last without doing the polishing and buffing?

Here are a few pics (after 5 coats):

And here is one pic after 4 coats (in the rain):

The rear hatch was rusty so I Bondo'd the heck out of it...4th coat fully covered the Bondo.

I only used 1 1/2 quarts of Sunrise Red Rustoleum and about 3/4 of a 1qt mineral spirits can.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25769
09/18/06 05:36 PM
09/18/06 05:36 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Like the red looks great!!
I just ordered Interlux fire red for my truck!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25770
09/18/06 06:49 PM
09/18/06 06:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ProbeGT

Good looking job. Since you have not polished your last coat, I need to ask a question. Can you take your finger nail and mark the shine or gloss on the paint? That is, leave a small mark in the glossy surface, not a scratch into the paint but a blemish on the surface.

I don't want to polish my last coat either, but all my test pieces will marr when I use a finger nail to test the surface.

I need to know if the polish job is needed to get a hard surface that will not marr the surface shine. I guess if you get any responses to your question, it will help me also.

My paint job is on a fiber glass dune buggy body. With the getting in and out of the buggy and running around in the woods, a shiney paint job will not last long with the the present paint job I have on it now.

Thanks.

Ed

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25771
09/18/06 07:43 PM
09/18/06 07:43 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Marq:

Did I understand correctly that you painted the underside of the hood with Brightside? Can that paint take the heat of the engine compartment? Thanks in advance for your advice.

No... the underside of the hood was painted with a spray bomb of Tremclad Red. I did this mostly out of convenience because the hood was still on the car... hence I didn't want to try to roll paint upside

And yes... the Tremclad / Rustoleum spray can take the head under the hood. I don't know if I would use it directly on the engine block or on the headers though... But they do make a 'High Heat' version of the Tremclad/Rustoleum... although I think it has a very limited color range... flat black, high gloss black.. flat gray.. and that is about all I can remember seeing at our Home Depot...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #25772
09/18/06 07:49 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Can Marq or anyone who has used brightside comment on the hardness? I was hoping my rustoleum would be 'rock hard' by now, but I can still put an indentation in it by slicing it with my fingernail. I don't know how this will affect polishability (I guess it would?) but I don't like the fact that it isn't 'rock hard' yet, after 2 months or so..

At this time ... approx 40 days since the job was done... the paint is rock hard. In fact it was pretty well rock hard one week after the final coat was applied. I believe at this point if I caught a stone on the nose of the car it would probably chip like any hardened enamel paint job. But so far no chips and I have had the car running at 100 mph ( although I am in Canada, my car is from the US and with a US speedometer )... and no chips from the other traffic in front of me.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25773
georgia
D
darenrt Offline
darenrt  Offline
D

georgia
quote"
I don't know why the Duplicolor primer/sealer would present any problem with any of the paint mixtures. When you wiped the body down with mineral spirit to clean all the dust and crap off the body prior to painting... did you give the primer/sealer sufficient time to evaporate whatever mineral spirit it might have absorbed ?"

I went uot to the car yesterday and decided to clean the tree poop off I got out the pressure washer and peeled the new Royal Blue right off the hood!! the paint was real hard, could not scratch it at all!!
But when I was primering I ran out of rusto primer and ran down to the autoz and grabed a can of duplicolor primer sealer to finish.
On that side every bit of paint is comming off there's primer on the car and on the back of the paint that came off!
I'll have to sand it all down and paint again. This time I will only use the rusto primer.

The lesson here is pick one prodct and STICK TO IT!!
#2 it's only $8.00 a quart no big deal

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25774
09/18/06 08:00 PM
09/18/06 08:00 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I don't plan on doing any polishing. The 5th coat is nice, flat and shiny with minimal orange peel. Will the shine last without doing the polishing and buffing?

According to the Charger school of 'roll your own'.. you 'should' be able to start hitting the paint with the compound, polish and wax. It will take time to get the desired level of gloss/shine back. From the gist of what I read, Charger felt that the slightly non-fully-cured paint would be a little easier and softer to work with...

Most schools of thought and recommendations from paint shops is that you should let the fully cure before going after the compounding, polishing and waxing - especially since our paint jobs are not being baked on. So in theory we have to let the paint job fully air dry to get to a reasonable level of hardness before those finishing steps. The theory behind 'waiting' til it cures harder is this.. the wax, when it is finally applied, will be acting like a sealant... water won't get through to the paint and conversely remaining evaporants in the paint job will have a harder time evaporating through the wax seal.

On my car, I waited about 4 weeks after the final coat was applied. This was partly because the weather ( rain and humidity ) were pretty bad. But I waited out the paint job and gave it that extra time to cure so that if anything went wrong I wouldn't be able to blame myself for rushing the final stage of this process.

Your shine 'should' last for a while. Possibly rain 'might' give you the occassional waterspot.. but basically the integrity of the paint will hold up... long enough to get more cured. At that point you are going to have to wet sand it to begin the final compounding, polishing and waxing... so any degradation of the shine or gloss up to that point really won't matter.

If you garage queen the car and keep it not exposed to the heat and uv of the sun... and keep it away from condensation that may occur during the transition from day to night and vice-a-versa, will help you to hold on to the initial unprotected /unfinished shine...

Last edited by Marq; 09/18/06 08:04 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: darenrt] #25775
09/18/06 08:15 PM
09/18/06 08:15 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I went uot to the car yesterday and decided to clean the tree poop off I got out the pressure washer and peeled the new Royal Blue right off the hood!!

Hehhehehhe.... I feel your pain. I took the McLaren over to the foodstore to pick up some groceries. When I came out the car had slobbers of seagull poop dripping all over the hood and the driver side front fender and door. My first thought was that some great fat S.O.B. had horked some monstrous louies on the car. But after a quick look at the paint and the flying rats that were sitting on the parking lot lamps, I knew it was seagulls..

Fortunately none of the poop landed in the car, because I had the top down. Those friggin flying rats with feathers could have picked 500 cars in that parking lot that day... but instead they somehow zero'd in on my car.

When I saw that poop I got a bit concerned about what damage that nasty white guck was going to do to my paint job.

I drove home, unloaded the groceries and went back out to the car with just the garden hose. I was beyond amazement that all the poop washed of with just the lame pressure of the hose - no scrubbing or rubbing. And best of all no chemical damage to the paint from the white gooey stuff that had been on there.

I really don't know if I would have had the guts to put a high pressure hose on my paint, even at this point in its curing. Deep down I believe that it can probably withstand the pressure coming out of the nozzle... but I also known deep down that water at high pressure can cut rocks, clear brake debris that is embedded in rims, etc. So that would scare me from going the high pressure route or even through a brush type car wash. Heck I don't even know what one of those brushless car washes might do.

So for now I am just treating this paintjob like it is a Ferrari factory paint job and handling it with kid gloves at all times.

Then again I would probably have been so cautious if i had just dropped $3500 to the paint shop...

Last edited by Marq; 09/18/06 08:17 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25776
09/18/06 08:36 PM
09/18/06 08:36 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!
78D150CLUB  Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!

Ontario, Canada
Gotta love the Greater Canadian Cr*p Hawk. What a PITA they are.
It's been about a month - six weeks since I finished my truck, and I've had it out to two or three coin spray washes, one just a week after I finished. I haven't had any peels or other problems from the high pressure, and I get real up close and personal with tree sap and bird droppings. About an inch away until the glob gives up and vanishes.
Still have as good a shine as I did after the final polish, as well.

I want to die like my Grampa, peacefully, in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 78D150CLUB] #25777
09/18/06 09:46 PM
09/18/06 09:46 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
probegt - nice job, that looks clean and really nice. just give it a wax or at least hit it with the buffer, then wax it.

out of all the cars i've painted with this method, they were all wetsanded/buffed/polished/waxed the next day after the final coat, or in 2 days, i've never had a issue what so ever with peel, hardness, ect...at all.

Page 66 of 159 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 158 159