08/29/06 10:29 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Also, you keep saying that you can't put regular car paint over rustoleum, but 69charger has said that he has first hand experience painting over it (OK, Tremclad) with no problems. Is your experience first hand or hearsay?

We discussed this very issue tonight in my auto body class, instructor said "scuff it and paint it, no problem". He even mentioned rustoleum as what to use for... something oh yeah for a guide coat under your primer. He said if you wanted to save cost on some primer just spray bomb the car with a guide coat of rustoleum, then primer, then sand it smooth using the off color rusoleum for a cheap guide coat. He mentioned using white rustoleum as a guide coat under the dark grey basic primer color.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 78D150CLUB] #25659
08/29/06 10:30 PM
08/29/06 10:30 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada

That Fire Truck looks like it could use a couple of coats of Tremclad 'Fire Red'.... seriously...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25660
08/29/06 11:19 PM
08/29/06 11:19 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!
78D150CLUB  Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!

Ontario, Canada
Don't know if it will be restored or if it's being kept in it's original, although faded glory.
It's part of the Baden, ON Fire Dept's collection, apparently they have every piece of motorized pumper equipment purchased by the department since 1927.
That one is a 1940 Fargo/Bickle pumper truck.

I want to die like my Grampa, peacefully, in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25661
08/29/06 11:32 PM
08/29/06 11:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

...a guide coat under your primer...

guide coat goes over the primer not under...

To answer some of what has been brought up so far: yes, I did use Rustoleum Pro. I started a test panel with another brand of enamel, but since I wasn't seeing the results I switched to Rustoleum. That is what I painted the car with.

The discoloration has absolutely nothing to do with the prep. The turning is occuring in several places on several different pieces that were sanded and prepped well enough for the PPG that went on later...It's funny that Exit mentioned in a previous post that Krylon's 'Ivory White' color is a perfect match to Rustoleum's 'Gloss White'...it is but 'Ivory White' is an off white canvas color. That's what my 'Gloss White' now looks like...

As for painting over Rustoleum, if you can scuff it and it powders up, fine. But, if you scuff and the Rustoleum rips and/or pulls you can not just paint over that. The paint must feather or it will show through the upper layers...the Rustoleum will not feather, it tears like latex house paint.

If you guys are happy with what you have, that's fine, but the 'success' storys that I have seen look dull, orange peely, etc. Everyone seems to be just one or two more steps away from that elusive paint job...All i'm reading here are mainly posters talking about what they're gonna do...If someone has an old beater that's ten colors of primer, wants to get it all one color and isn't extremely picky...this is an option if they know what they're getting. If you're looking for a straight, clean paint job at least as good as the average car at the cruise in, this may not be for you...

Exit, you have been working on yours for months...are you happy with it? is it a show car finish? if you include all the hours and material you've put into it, is it still a 50 dollar paint job?

...I just think people reading these postings should hear both sides of the story...Chuck

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 78D150CLUB] #25662
08/29/06 11:37 PM
08/29/06 11:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have not chimed in for a while. I had 3 coats on and my buddy came by and we did some body work. Funny how I did not see those dents before a few coats of black.

Now I have 3 more coats over the bodywork. I went back to the yellow foam rollers instead of the white ones. I had done my experiments with the yellow ones.

I have it down where I leave a matte type surface. Very small dimples. No peel at all. Press hard and put too much paint at first, then work it around the panel evenly. Then move some to a less painted area until there is just enough. Pass over until it is even.

I am going to lightly sand, mainly for debris and get some more coats on the car.

Mark E.

2883385-GN11.jpg (610 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25663
08/29/06 11:38 PM
08/29/06 11:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

another

2883389-GN12.jpg (593 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25664
08/30/06 12:35 AM
08/30/06 12:35 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

A guide coat can go anywhere, it's used to find high spots and low spots. You can put a guide coat right over pink bondo if you want, it serves the same purpose when you're doing bodywork as long as you're putting a contrasting color on.

Quote:

To answer some of what has been brought up so far: yes, I did use Rustoleum Pro. I started a test panel with another brand of enamel, but since I wasn't seeing the results I switched to Rustoleum. That is what I painted the car with.

The discoloration has absolutely nothing to do with the prep. The turning is occuring in several places on several different pieces that were sanded and prepped well enough for the PPG that went on later...It's funny that Exit mentioned in a previous post that Krylon's 'Ivory White' color is a perfect match to Rustoleum's 'Gloss White'...it is but 'Ivory White' is an off white canvas color. That's what my 'Gloss White' now looks like...

As for painting over Rustoleum, if you can scuff it and it powders up, fine. But, if you scuff and the Rustoleum rips and/or pulls you can not just paint over that. The paint must feather or it will show through the upper layers...the Rustoleum will not feather, it tears like latex house paint.

If you guys are happy with what you have, that's fine, but the 'success' storys that I have seen look dull, orange peely, etc. Everyone seems to be just one or two more steps away from that elusive paint job...All i'm reading here are mainly posters talking about what they're gonna do...If someone has an old beater that's ten colors of primer, wants to get it all one color and isn't extremely picky...this is an option if they know what they're getting. If you're looking for a straight, clean paint job at least as good as the average car at the cruise in, this may not be for you...

Exit, you have been working on yours for months...are you happy with it? is it a show car finish? if you include all the hours and material you've put into it, is it still a 50 dollar paint job?

...I just think people reading these postings should hear both sides of the story...Chuck

I didn't say that krylon ivory white was a match to gloss white, I said it was a match to canvas white which is the rustoleum I'm using.

Yes, i've been working at a very languid pace on my car for months. Way longer than it should have taken, but I have been both busy and lazy during that time. It's certainly not a $50 paint job anymore, and no there isn't a show car shine, but considering the alternatives I am very glad I did what I did. For one thing, I can see where I goofed up the bodywork that I would have missed if I had just taken it in to be painted with no bodywork, for another, I am not exposing myself to isos that come with auto paint, lastly I know it's easy to repaint or touch up.

The most important thing is, without becoming excited about this technique and trying it, I would probably still be dilly dallying on the bodywork because of the uncertaintly of where I'm going to have it painted and what it's going to cost me. This technique makes it easily doable, and now I can move on to other parts of the car that we all do ourselves like brakes, electrical, engine and stuff.

And now there's even more reason to think that I could paint a single stage over it if I ever wanted to.

I agree Chuck people should see both sides, but they should not be dissuaded from trying it based on ONE PERSON's opinion/experience (you) that it cannot be painted over, and that it peels off like latex. I don't think those are true if the paint is applied as 69charger and others have described the process.

Here's some + and - with respect to the paint from my point of view.

Negatives:
1) Probably no "show quality" shine
2) May be scratchable for some time as it cures
3) can involve many hours of labor

Positives:
1) Would fit right in on an old car
2) Easy to do
3) Cheap
4) Easy to repair
5) Not irreversible - if you don't like it, spray over it
6) Relatively safe compared to spraying isocyanites
7) no paint booth or special tools required
8) can achieve a decent shine
If I had a newer car (95+ maybe), I would probably go with a paint that had more shine since a newer car with a non shiny paint job could look out of place.

I don't however, I have a '67 dodge which rolled out of the factory with less shine than I'll have with this paint. So for me, less shine than a shiny new car is acceptable given the positives.

One more point that I've said before - both the red paint and the white paint do not peel as you are describing, they powder when sanding. I had to do several spots with bondo once I put paint over them and saw the mistakes, and it was VERY easy to sand through the rustoleum in that it powdered up and did not load up the paper. Maybe you got a bad batch of paint or something since your experience seems to differ from a few others here who have tried it.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #25665
08/30/06 03:01 AM
08/30/06 03:01 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

4 months later I'm still glad I did it. I agree it does look better on an old car (I did my 64 Comet). Like everyone's been saying, it's a matter of personal taste and budget. I didn't get into auto-restoration to drop my car off at a different shop every month, I got into it because I want to learn to do things myself,and I never thought I'd even try a paint job on my own before this 69 charger thing happened.

My 2 cents would be no matter how excited you may get, take your time. The imperfections I have are because I was impatient. Let the coats dry, and don't cheat on the wetsanding.

Also, my white top hasn't faded or yellowed at all, outside all summer in Fla rain and sun. And I've never been able to scratch any paint at any time off with a fingernail. (sorry about photo quality, latest photo I have was showing someone the bumper).

As a weird side note, I live in a very old apartment with a kitchen sink about 75 years old made of pourous material (don't know what kind) that I painted white with this same method. It looks great, cleans back to post-paint gloss white with no stains, and I've tried to scratch it off with a knife but can't.

Did my steering wheel too, paint doesn't rub off, haven't even had to clean it yet.

I'd try to paint my cat royal blue with this stuff if he'd sit still long enough!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25666
08/30/06 08:56 AM
08/30/06 08:56 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So I have been reading this thread for awhile and thought I would chime in. I read the first 30 pages on the first thread, and about 20 from here. Im but one man!

I have a nissan 240sx that came white from the factory. Ive been planning on painting the car white but the roof black. Ive done some painting on my car and thought I would post some findings.
Personally I am not a big fan of the idea of rolling it on, to me it seemed like it would be alot more work so I decided to spray from a gravity fed gun. The amount of time taping is easily comparable to 1 wetsanding run....

Ive done it a few times now. First time I hadnt read the ENTIRE around and went gung ho, I painted with laquor thinner made with mineral spirits, not pure. Paint went on fine, was glossy and I was fairly impressed with the results.... until the paper blew over on top of my job :-(
After it dried I wetsanded it down, The sanding was fine a few hours afterwards, but when I went to complete it a few days later I noticed some of the paint would roll off into little balls since it hadnt dried fully. No its not an adhesion problem because the top was a thick skin, and the bottom layer was fully adhered, there was just softer paint in the middle. I was able to very carefully and lightly sand it down with a less aggressive piece of paper. I shot a second time over that only this time I cut it with acetone. I can tell you cutting it with acetone definitely made a difference in the gloss/clarity. It also seems to be hardening better/quicker. I would dare to say I compare this to a bc/cc job looking at it from the side. It looks virtually unchanged from wet to dry. Perhaps actually cutting with acetone is the way to go? (hell its what they write on the [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] can)
Maybe other things can be done for you roller guys to increase workable time? perhaps applying it in a cold environment then heating the garage and cooking it on?

My end results are fairly impressive, I did this in a real autobody shop (father runs one) but I wanted to do it on my own, my own bill, my own materials because it can rack up quick... and Im selling the car. however I did run into 1 problem. When putting some body filler on a small ding... I wetsanded it smooth, then applied a light coat of sealer before painting and I had some seriously screwed up fish eye. Looked like a brain on my roof. I wanna say in retrospect it was stupidity with wetsanding the body filler but it might have been a reaction to the sealer. My surfaces so far have all been cleaned with legit prep solvent, not mineral spirits or anything else. So far so good though!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25667
08/30/06 11:12 AM
08/30/06 11:12 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

So I have been reading this thread for awhile and thought I would chime in. I read the first 30 pages on the first thread, and about 20 from here. Im but one man!

I have a nissan 240sx that came white from the factory. Ive been planning on painting the car white but the roof black. Ive done some painting on my car and thought I would post some findings.
Personally I am not a big fan of the idea of rolling it on, to me it seemed like it would be alot more work so I decided to spray from a gravity fed gun. The amount of time taping is easily comparable to 1 wetsanding run....

Ive done it a few times now. First time I hadnt read the ENTIRE around and went gung ho, I painted with laquor thinner made with mineral spirits, not pure. Paint went on fine, was glossy and I was fairly impressed with the results.... until the paper blew over on top of my job :-(
After it dried I wetsanded it down, The sanding was fine a few hours afterwards, but when I went to complete it a few days later I noticed some of the paint would roll off into little balls since it hadnt dried fully. No its not an adhesion problem because the top was a thick skin, and the bottom layer was fully adhered, there was just softer paint in the middle. I was able to very carefully and lightly sand it down with a less aggressive piece of paper. I shot a second time over that only this time I cut it with acetone. I can tell you cutting it with acetone definitely made a difference in the gloss/clarity. It also seems to be hardening better/quicker. I would dare to say I compare this to a bc/cc job looking at it from the side. It looks virtually unchanged from wet to dry. Perhaps actually cutting with acetone is the way to go? (hell its what they write on the [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] can)
Maybe other things can be done for you roller guys to increase workable time? perhaps applying it in a cold environment then heating the garage and cooking it on?

My end results are fairly impressive, I did this in a real autobody shop (father runs one) but I wanted to do it on my own, my own bill, my own materials because it can rack up quick... and Im selling the car. however I did run into 1 problem. When putting some body filler on a small ding... I wetsanded it smooth, then applied a light coat of sealer before painting and I had some seriously screwed up fish eye. Looked like a brain on my roof. I wanna say in retrospect it was stupidity with wetsanding the body filler but it might have been a reaction to the sealer. My surfaces so far have all been cleaned with legit prep solvent, not mineral spirits or anything else. So far so good though!

Did you use Rustolium/Brightside/Tremclad?

If cutting it with acetone gives it more of a shine, then I'm willing to take that route. Has anyone used acetone without any ill effects?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25668
08/30/06 11:33 AM
08/30/06 11:33 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I thought about using acetone to thin the rustoleum I was spraying. I did a google on it and saw someone was having problems, and someone said that acetone was too "hot" (evap too quick) for it.

I sprayed my door jambs with mineral spirits as a thinner, and though it's not especially shiny, I was able to get full coverage in one session (sprayed, sprayed some other areas, then sprayed the first area again) without runs. It would probably be shinier if I had put down thinner coats, but I wanted to cover quick.

Acetone is worth a shot though, who knows, the thing I read maybe because the guy wasn't using the right ratio of paint to acetone.

Here's the place I read it:

http://hobartwelders.com/mboard/showthread.php?t=9187

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25669
08/30/06 12:09 PM
08/30/06 12:09 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

If cutting it with acetone gives it more of a shine, then I'm willing to take that route. Has anyone used acetone without any ill effects?

Just remember that Acetone is a 'faster' evaporating carrier than Ketone or Naptha or pure mineral spirits.... Your working time and the time for the paint to self-level will be less...

The only other thing about Acetone is to make sure you are in a WELL VENTILATED working area... and definitely do not strike a match hahahhah...

Tha vapors are volatile and potent.

Last edited by Marq; 08/30/06 12:11 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25670
08/30/06 12:18 PM
08/30/06 12:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

After a quick google search, I don't think I wanna mess around with acetone. I'm concerned about the ill effects from it on my lungs etc and I don't have the proper safety masks.. Mineral spirits FTW.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25671
08/30/06 01:27 PM
08/30/06 01:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

heh sorry I forgot to mention I used rustoleum. Im not blessed with tremclad over here in the US of A.

Acetone does cut down on workability time to a degree, and the vapors are going to be there, however I would say far more tolerable than using rattlecans for anything. I would say it made more of a difference in the curing than it did in the drying time. Maybe you should try picking up a small can of it and rolling a piece of junk sheetmetal. To increase pot life for leveling perhaps do half acetone half mineral spirits? or add a leveler to it? (of course experimenting on something you dont care about first to test reactivity)

I have read that thread, and even read the can... they tell you to cut with acetone right on the label, im gonna have to say the manufacturer knows best on this one because there would be alot of unhappy people otherwhise im sure. I thinned mine a good amount, I didnt really measure but I checked consistancy... I would say 20% wouldnt be an unreasonable guess.

I have introduced automotive fish eye remover to the mix successfully. Im unsure if that sealer over the bondo reacted or if it was water so that may be something for more testing before anyone uses it. I also shot over it the same night.

I sprayed my roof in a small enclosed area, and it wasnt ventilated at the time. Granted I just did my roof, but I could walk in and around the room without any type of breather on and I was far from choking. If I did that with rattlecans id be dying to get out. I would say its about 50% as unpleasant as the equivalent in rattlecans.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25672
08/30/06 09:01 PM
08/30/06 09:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

I think this is a matter of preference, the guy teaching the auto body class has mentioned guide coats under primer several times now so I suppose this is his preferred way of doing it.

For the record I scrapped the roller plans, mainly because I got into an auto body class and have access to the facilities to spray it, so spray it shall be.

The parts I have painted looked pretty good and they cured to a hard and very durable finish, I wouldn't hesitate to use this technique on another old car or a beater of any age, no probably wouldn't try it on a show car, but I'm not building show cars here just something to drive

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25673
08/30/06 09:26 PM
08/30/06 09:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

...the guy teaching the auto body class has mentioned guide coats under primer several times now so I suppose this is his preferred way of doing it...

Guide coats under primer?? I don't really see the purpose...guide coats are usually some type of cheap spray paint sprayed on top of primer, bondo or whatever then sanded off to show high and/or low spots in the body work...that's why it's called 'guide' coat, it's used to guide the rest of the body work. If it's under the primer or bondo or whatever, you wouldn't be able to see it much less sand it off ...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25674
08/30/06 10:20 PM
08/30/06 10:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He must mean to find out where to put bondo. Gotta start somewhere. Mark E.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

...the guy teaching the auto body class has mentioned guide coats under primer several times now so I suppose this is his preferred way of doing it...

Guide coats under primer?? I don't really see the purpose...guide coats are usually some type of cheap spray paint sprayed on top of primer, bondo or whatever then sanded off to show high and/or low spots in the body work...that's why it's called 'guide' coat, it's used to guide the rest of the body work. If it's under the primer or bondo or whatever, you wouldn't be able to see it much less sand it off ...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25675
08/30/06 11:25 PM
08/30/06 11:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

yah when i got done with mine i found a few dents left over in the black paint and now i will call dentbusters to have them popped out

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25676
08/30/06 11:35 PM
08/30/06 11:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am new here. No mopar, just here for the paint. Did own a Chrysler once though. I have spent my nights this week reading through the 75 pages. I just picked up a small can of Regal Red and quart of Glidden Ultrahide alkyd/enamel, tinted to a goldish color. The gold is to cover a primed door on my Lancia Scorpion. The red is mainly to play with, to see how well I can make it shine. I like the color, but it is darker than I was looking for.

Exit, I have been pulling for you this whole time. What is your current status? I may be a little help when it comes to getting that perfect shine. I have spend many hours wet sanding and buffing crappy bc/cc paint jobs. The key seems to be not skipping grits. If you do your final wet sand with 1500, follow it up with 2000. After the 2000, follow it up with several stages of buffing compounds. I have had good luck with the 3M stuff from NAPA. You also have to match the buffing pad to the grit of buffing compound you are using. I don't remember the details, but each type of pad has its own purpose. I'm sure you can google it. With enough work and the right technique, I am 100% sure you can make this paint look every bit as good as a show quality job.

I have bc/cc's 3 cars to date. It sucks! It stinks, it's messy, and it's hard to get a good paint job without lots of experience. I had to wet sand and buff each of them. Lots of orange peel. Like people have noted several times, try to find a really nice stock paint job. Not many of them out there. The thing about bc/cc paint jobs, is they shine even through moderate orange peel. The metal flake hides it even more.

Chuck, come on man. You OBVIOUSLY didn't follow directions. You're right, its the paints fault. You're just the only one the paint doesn't like. If its soft, you put it on too thick and it couldn't dry before your next coat or it was thin enough but you added more layers before it had dryed enough. And seriously, your body shop guy, do you really think he is going to give you good information when you tell him "Yeah, I just found out that I can paint my car for $50 in my garage and get better results than what you would charge me $3000 for. What do you think?"...

If it ever stops raining (Ernesto), I will show you guys how well that red can shine.

Good Luck

Jason

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25677
08/31/06 12:24 AM
08/31/06 12:24 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Greenwood,

Could you outline a good post paint polishing method? How many times do you apply compound, wax, etc? Do you think the Rustoleum or Brightside paints need any special buffing agents or additives?

Thanks!

Page 61 of 159 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 158 159