CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted By madscientist
Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
The hole in the SB timing retainer bolts is normally in the hole that is exposed to the puddle in the cam side of the lifter valley allowing oil to seep through it and drip down onto the steel directional tab onto the chain scope shruggy Cheap and fast for some additional oiling to the SB timing chain, ask Larry Shepard who designed that part originally and which college that engineers degree was from scope grin
The oil singer is designed to sling oil off of it and stop oil from being splashed up into the seal area of the timing chain cover, especially when braking hard shruggy
No magic here whistling

Thanks for making my point. Neither the slinger, the drip tab or the magic bolt does anything of consequence to oil the timing set.

You can use them, or not and you'll never ever know it.

Or, you can put pressurized oil on the timing set. Nah, why do that?

Because we go to great lengths to eliminate internal oil leaks and keep oil on the crank, at least in a performance/race engine. Not drill holes that spray more oil around inside the engine.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: SB cam retainer question [Re: j.mcconnell] #2560975
10/08/18 04:56 PM
10/08/18 04:56 PM
Raleigh, NC
J
j.mcconnell Offline OP
mopar
j.mcconnell  Offline OP
mopar
J

Raleigh, NC
Glad? I could spark up a discussion. Thanks for all the information.

Re: SB cam retainer question [Re: j.mcconnell] #2560994
10/08/18 05:48 PM
10/08/18 05:48 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Online work
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Online Work
"Little"John

PA.
I use a slinger on ever big and small block Mopar I build. Nothing else and I’ve never had an issue.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: SB cam retainer question [Re: CMcAllister] #2561031
10/08/18 07:11 PM
10/08/18 07:11 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted By CMcAllister
Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
The hole in the SB timing retainer bolts is normally in the hole that is exposed to the puddle in the cam side of the lifter valley allowing oil to seep through it and drip down onto the steel directional tab onto the chain scope shruggy Cheap and fast for some additional oiling to the SB timing chain, ask Larry Shepard who designed that part originally and which college that engineers degree was from scope grin
The oil singer is designed to sling oil off of it and stop oil from being splashed up into the seal area of the timing chain cover, especially when braking hard shruggy
No magic here whistling

Thanks for making my point. Neither the slinger, the drip tab or the magic bolt does anything of consequence to oil the timing set.

You can use them, or not and you'll never ever know it.

Or, you can put pressurized oil on the timing set. Nah, why do that?

Because we go to great lengths to eliminate internal oil leaks and keep oil on the crank, at least in a performance/race engine. Not drill holes that spray more oil around inside the engine.

I'm all for controlling oil in an engine, but I'm also sure you need oil on the timing set. If you are THAT worried about oil in the timing chain cover, run a belt drive.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: SB cam retainer question [Re: pittsburghracer] #2561032
10/08/18 07:14 PM
10/08/18 07:14 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
I use a slinger on ever big and small block Mopar I build. Nothing else and I’ve never had an issue.

And I agree. You can run them as they wont hurt anything unless you install them backwards, which I've seen enough to know some guys who refuse to degree a cam should also not assemble engines.

If you can't degree a cam or install the slinger correctly pay someone to do it.

In reality, the slinger does very little. It damn sure won't stop a timing seal leak because I've fixed many of those that had slingers.

To me, they are just a little piece of metal that serves no purpose.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: SB cam retainer question [Re: TRENDZ] #2561034
10/08/18 07:18 PM
10/08/18 07:18 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted By TRENDZ
I personally would rather drip oil that is of no consequence to loosing any amount of oil pressure. Once the oil leaves the galley, it is no longer pressurized oil, it is directed oil. Sort of like the purpose of the bolt/ tab.
We all have preferences. Thinking through the ENTIRE scenario will lead most people to the same or similar solutions.
Is drilling the retainer not splash oiling?

How much pressure can you lose with a .060 hole and that's a damn big hole. I think my last one was .039ish and that's plenty.

There is a difference in the oil coming out of a pressurize gallery and what drips out of a bolt hole from gravity. I have a timing cover I cut open that I use when I run a gear drive and a mechanical fuel pump (another reason to put some oil up there I forgot about...oiling the fuel pump lever and eccentric) and I can also put oil to the system and see what that hole produces for oil to the timing set.

It isn't a drip or a fog or a mist. It comes out at whatever pressure/RPM you are testing at, and it gets the oil on the timing set.

Re: SB cam retainer question [Re: madscientist] #2561040
10/08/18 07:33 PM
10/08/18 07:33 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

The slinger was another way to try and bandaid an oiling issue. That slinger has zero to do with stopping oil leaks past the crank seal. The seal doesn't function that way.

Tell us more.

What more do you want to know? The slinger won't fix a seal, and it doesn't affect timing chain life. It's useless.

My query was regarding your statement "The seal doesn't function that way." If you limit the volume of oil that contacts the seal lip(s) doesn't that help the seal do its job?

In an industry that pinches pennies to save thousands I question the "useless" label. If it was useless it wouldn't be there.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: SB cam retainer question [Re: j.mcconnell] #2561291
10/09/18 08:31 AM
10/09/18 08:31 AM
Australia
M
Mcode69 Offline
enthusiast
Mcode69  Offline
enthusiast
M

Australia
Just on another note, I have a number of oil slingers with damage from aftermarket timing chain sets, I use them if there is clearance on the chain but lately that seems to be a rare occurrence.

Page 2 of 2 1 2