08/15/06 02:11 PM
08/15/06 02:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

your accord is made out of the same stuff as mine, metal and plastic. The rustoleum professional will work just fine. I posted pics a few posts up.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25539
08/15/06 02:27 PM
08/15/06 02:27 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

can you only use the marine and rust/trem stuff on fiberglass???

You can use the Brightside ( marine polyurathane paint ) on fiberglass, bondo, over old paint, over an automotive primer, on plastic and rubber etc. etc. ) The same goes for the Tremclad/Rustoleum...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25540
08/15/06 02:52 PM
08/15/06 02:52 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Well this is my first post. After buying a 2006 Charger R/T with R/T package, I saw this thread. Great timing since I am restoring a 1970 Porsche and don't want to spend the $$$ on a .... yada yada yada...
I have smoothed out and primed the car; now ready for rollin.

I have purchased Blue Marine 1 Part Poly urethane in Black online. One gallon with one quart of brushing liquid/solvent delivered to my door for $80 total-not bad. has the same qualities as the Brightside. see it here:
Blue Water Marine

Ordered the rollers and handles from here:
Ebay Item: 130006642627
Roller frame plus 10 foam rollers for 9 bucks-beat that!

My plan is to do the first coat with 5% thinned this weekend and let it sit for a week. Then block wetsand with 400, then with 800. Do coat 2 at 5% thinned, wetsand with 1000, coat 3 full strength, wetsand with 1500, 2000, 3000 Then polish.

Hope it all works out. Thanks to all here for the research, time and dedication for us CSOBs!

nice 914, you should really explore the longnitidunals, and the rear suspension console under the famous battery location, and the sail pannels under the vinyl, front trunk, basically anywhere where there's metal 914's rust just looking at them, if your quiet you can watch them rust!!!! take off the lower outer sils NOW, and inspect for rust, replace metal before you go thru the body work. what motor you got>? 1.7, 1.8, 2.0, or 2.7 (914-6)?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25541
08/15/06 03:04 PM
08/15/06 03:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well its confirmed....the gloves did infact have something to do with my slight issue.

I decided to use no gloves when working on the car and have not once come up with that issue.

After applying two thin coats in the past two days, here I am at my third coat....

NOW...the rear bumper is not painted because I need to save it for a friend, plus I have another bumper coming in that I rather paint. Also the mirrors were an absolute last minute decision to just leave them there as that. Once I'm done with the car I will take the mirrors off and paint them black.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25542
08/15/06 04:59 PM
08/15/06 04:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It must be the paint that I used. I couldn't get the Tremclad/Rustoleum, so I used the same type of paint but one that is made here in Australia (called Tremco).

This is one of the problems in being a pioneer with using a different paint. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. No big deal really, I'll just re-paint it again in a few weeks time with Brightside. There is nothing wrong with the technique, just my choice of paint...

I did try buffing it down but the paint is stained with water marks right through to the first layer. I sanded and buffed for so long with a cutting compound that in one area I managed to get all of the way back to the original red without any success at all.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #25543
08/15/06 07:52 PM
08/15/06 07:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks. Porsche has a 2.0 four. Minimal rust in the "hell holes". Went through it already. Lots of stuff under the primer.

2848497-100_0871.jpg (379 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25544
08/15/06 10:16 PM
08/15/06 10:16 PM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Thanks. Porsche has a 2.0 four. Minimal rust in the "hell holes". Went through it already. Lots of stuff under the primer.

sweet, i built a 75 914 with a 1.8L that i bought off the original owner with 50K MI. it was a fun car, all the normal 914 rot stuff, they handle like a go-cart. what ever you do, don't lift off the gas when your pushing it really hard thru a turn, if it starts to let or understeer, mash the gas, or you'll be punished. i still have a spare set of guages, and the center cluster, plus steering wheel i plan to put in my 74 beetle.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #25545
08/16/06 07:34 AM
08/16/06 07:34 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

wow, so theres no hope using metal armour (the tremco stuff)? i priced the brightside over here, its $120 for 4 litres (gallon) while the metal armour is $60.

any ideas why the metal armour didnt work? its essentially the same stuff as tremclad isnt it? its meant to be used on the same sort of thing anyway.

i seem to remember some other aussie pioneers trying wattyl killrust and white knight metal guard, but those two are epoxy enamels, as opposed to the alkyd enamels like tremclad. would using either of the epoxy enamels have any dire effects that i should know about?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25546
08/16/06 08:16 AM
08/16/06 08:16 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

wow, so theres no hope using metal armour (the tremco stuff)? i priced the brightside over here, its $120 for 4 litres (gallon) while the metal armour is $60.

With the Brightside marine paint you 'should' be able to put two coats of paint on per QUART can of paint....

If you lay four coats of Brightside on to your car than that would work out to TWO QUART cans of paint... or approximately $60 to $70 bucks.

I prefer to buy the paint by the quart... so that I don't have a pile of paint left over at the end of the job. And if I buy too much... than I can take the unused can back to the store.

With regards to the different types of rust paint out there... I think part of the problem is that some rust paints are deliberately designed to never fully cure to become rock hard. It just happens that Tremclad and Rustoleum can turn rock hard when applied in very thin layers ( and each layer is allowed to cure before moving on to the next layer being added ).

The epoxy enamels are slightly different in that they are designed to have their carrier evaporate fully and to leave a hard paint job. The epoxy in that type of paint provides two excellent traits... superior adhesion and fairly quick hardening ( after full evaporation of the carrier fluid ). The epoxy type enamels have two slight drawbacks... in that they don't have a natural high gloss to them and as a paint they are indeed slightly harder and may require a lot more work during the polishing stage to get the maximum potention shine.

Possibly you may be able to locate some other marine 'top side' type paint in your region that is cheaper than the Brightside product. As you make your enquiries with boat suppliers just make sure that whatever marine paint you are looking at is designed to be 'rolled and tipped' - ie that it can be applied by roller and tipped. You may find another brand at a cheaper price that would allow you to 'roll your own'.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #25547
08/16/06 04:41 PM
08/16/06 04:41 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!
78D150CLUB  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Just want to say "Thank's again" to 69chargerYeehaa for sharing this method of painting with all of us.
It's finally official, the neighbours came by and were drooling over the truck today.
I'm off to Moparfest for the weekend, and I'll scan a couple of pics next week, using a decent 35mm camera this time.
Happy rolling!!

I want to die like my Grampa, peacefully, in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 78D150CLUB] #25548
08/16/06 09:03 PM
08/16/06 09:03 PM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Just want to say "Thank's again" to 69chargerYeehaa for sharing this method of painting with all of us.
It's finally official, the neighbours came by and were drooling over the truck today.
I'm off to Moparfest for the weekend, and I'll scan a couple of pics next week, using a decent 35mm camera this time.
Happy rolling!!

your welcome.

i should be heading up to moparfest too, on sat, plan to hit the swap meet, not sure if i'll drive the charger due to retardrd gas consumption and i'm not looking to get judged, so i could save the $35 entry fee, and buy more parts , plus i'm not a big "show" kind-a guy, but i do like taking a quick peek at all the cars, and espically hitting the swap parts section. maybe i'll see you there, you driving your truck?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #25549
08/16/06 09:25 PM
08/16/06 09:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well rolling my truck probably is not gonna happen, I found a local tech school offering night courses in Auto Body, $150, 16 week course, 3 hours once per week, the first thing the instructor asks us?

"What's your project?" meaning "what are you gonna paint while you're here?"

State of the art paintbooth, the best paintguns (apparently they're like $700 each to buy) all the tools, frame machine, gonna learn to weld, all we gotta supply is the materials that are used up (sandpaper/paint/primer/tape/etc).

I'd be a fool not to take this oppurtunity.

One dude, this is his -5th- time taking the class, he's painting his 3rd car hahaha.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #25550
08/16/06 10:04 PM
08/16/06 10:04 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
78D150CLUB  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Yep, I'll be out on the field somewhere if you care to look it over. I'm only out for the fun of the weekend, and the proceeds go to a good cause.
Maybe I'll see you there, I plan to browse the swap as well, need a couple of hard to find trim bits and a line on the proper box, as well.
Sounds like it's gonna be a good weekend, weatherwise as well.

I want to die like my Grampa, peacefully, in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25551
08/16/06 10:08 PM
08/16/06 10:08 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
78D150CLUB  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Sounds like a good deal, maybe you'll wind up in the autobody business thru it all. Be sure and post the results for us when it's all finished.
Have fun, and don't drop one of those high priced paint guns.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 78D150CLUB] #25552
08/16/06 10:15 PM
08/16/06 10:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Sounds like a good deal, maybe you'll wind up in the autobody business thru it all. Be sure and post the results for us when it's all finished.
Have fun, and don't drop one of those high priced paint guns.

Opening a restoration type shop is a dream of mine, I love cars and have all my life, just never had time to learn jack about them since I was always too busy "making a living" but now I'm in a place where I can spend some time learning and if I can find a nice place to paint somewhere it's cheap to rent (out in the county/boonies) I just may open up shop.

EVERY body shop I've visited was busy, up to their eyeballs in work, most won't even LOOK at a restoration project because insurance work is so plentiful and lucrative. So I figure, finish the truck, buy another project, when THAT project is finished and drivable, sell the last project, buy new project, rinse/repeat, try and at least break even on each one as I build the skills. Drive the last project while working on the new project, when there is two completed vehicles, put 'em both up for sale, whichever sells first, keep the other to drive and start a new project.

If people want to pay to have their stuff done while I'm at it, then rock on, if I get enough business, then I can always try and hire some help. I can put my current business's office in the garage too and it'll all be business expenses anyway.

I know a guy who will probably work for me part time who's been doing salvage restorations and the last few years, show restorations and he'd work cheap, but he's just unreliable as hell (don't rely on him to show up, when he does, cool, when he don't, just don't get all bent outta shape).

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25553
08/16/06 10:20 PM
08/16/06 10:20 PM
georgia
D
darenrt Offline
darenrt  Offline
D

georgia
Quote:

any ideas why the metal armour didnt work? its essentially the same stuff as tremclad isnt it? its meant to be used on the same sort of thing anyway.

i seem to remember some other aussie pioneers trying wattyl killrust and white knight metal guard, but those two are epoxy enamels, as opposed to the alkyd enamels like tremclad. would using either of the epoxy enamels have any dire effects that i should know about?

We are using an epoxy coating on our production engine parts. I remember being told by a paint supplier that epoxy paint is very strong, resistant to chemicals but no UV (sun light)protection unless it was some sort of hybread.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25554
08/16/06 10:31 PM
08/16/06 10:31 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Opening a restoration type shop is a dream of mine, I love cars and have all my life, just never had time to learn jack about them since I was always too busy "making a living" but now I'm in a place where I can spend some time learning and if I can find a nice place to paint somewhere it's cheap to rent (out in the county/boonies) I just may open up shop.

EVERY body shop I've visited was busy, up to their eyeballs in work, most won't even LOOK at a restoration project because insurance work is so plentiful and lucrative. So I figure, finish the truck, buy another project, when THAT project is finished and drivable, sell the last project, buy new project, rinse/repeat, try and at least break even on each one as I build the skills. Drive the last project while working on the new project, when there is two completed vehicles, put 'em both up for sale, whichever sells first, keep the other to drive and start a new project.

If people want to pay to have their stuff done while I'm at it, then rock on, if I get enough business, then I can always try and hire some help. I can put my current business's office in the garage too and it'll all be business expenses anyway.

I know a guy who will probably work for me part time who's been doing salvage restorations and the last few years, show restorations and he'd work cheap, but he's just unreliable as hell (don't rely on him to show up, when he does, cool, when he don't, just don't get all bent outta shape).

Not to get too far off topic, but from what I have read the margins on body shop work aren't great ( I suppose it depends on where in the country you are), and finding reliable bodymen is apparently no easy task either.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #25555
08/17/06 05:02 PM
08/17/06 05:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

guys i dont mean to ask, but ,y black lincoln has turned out ok, but im thinkin of changing it to red (i like cars that stand out) any pics of what red looks like finished? thanks a ton fellas!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25556
08/17/06 11:29 PM
08/17/06 11:29 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

guys i dont mean to ask, but ,y black lincoln has turned out ok, but im thinkin of changing it to red (i like cars that stand out) any pics of what red looks like finished? thanks a ton fellas!

Here is a picture of my car when it was safety red. Seems you and I have different taste, I prefer colors that don't stand out (but a snarling big block in the same car, I like). There is also a picture of a buggy somewhere back a ways that someone (sorry forgot the name) painted safety red.

And of course Marq's mustang is red.

Regal red is a color I prefer over the orangey reds though. if i ever went back to a red I'd go with the more subtle regal red.

Hmm, I kind of miss the red now that I see it. I don't think I'll be changing the color anytime soon though.

in spray paint news, I got through painting under the hood with the rustoleum mixed into that harbor freight reusable spray can, but for some reason, I can't get that spray can to work well anymore. It just spits out a stream, and I have cleaned everything I can reach with acetone.

So now that the engine bay is out of the way, I'm going to use the Krylon spray can "ivory white" for the door and trunk jambs, since they dont' need to be pretty or shiney or especially durable, just the same color. And the color is darn near a perfect match and it dries within about 15 minutes. I'm going to really try to finish up the painting this weekend.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #25557
08/17/06 11:37 PM
08/17/06 11:37 PM
Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
GTSDave Offline
master
GTSDave  Offline
master

Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
Exit,

I still love that color LOL.

On your sprayer, if you can take it apart enough to soak it, laquer thinner will soften up anything that might be cloging it up. Just dont leave the plastic parts in too long it will usually soften them up.

Keep posting pics. I love those Darts! I can't wait to see yours when it is finished. Are you going to do a tail stripe? If so what color. I think Red would really look nice on yours.

-Dave

PLEASE Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way.

If you are the owner of a GTS us at the GTS Registry www.gtsregistry.com
Page 55 of 159 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 158 159