08/03/06 05:27 PM
08/03/06 05:27 PM
Oakland california, USA
Dart360sav Offline
super street
Dart360sav  Offline
super street

Oakland california, USA
Sorry to chime in inthe middle, but im wondering if anyone can point me in the right dirrection as far as getting a buffer. Now i just have a cheapo orbital polisher that my arm power puts to shame. Where can i get a high quality buffer??
Thanks

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25379
08/03/06 07:08 PM
08/03/06 07:08 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I was very thorough with the mixing; I used a squirrel mixer on my power drill on the fresh can of Brightside (from the boating supply store), and did again after adding thinner to my second vessel in preparation for paint applicaion... mixing went on for ~2 mins just before paint application.

I may be just grasping at straws to try to explain the slowness of your paint to cure... but when you mentioned " ...after adding thinner to my second vessel... "... Does that mean that you used the Interlux 'thinner' or the Interlux 'Brushing liquid".

The reason I ask is that Interlux does have one of each of those products. The one for adding to the paint is th "Brushing Liquid" - their product number 333

I really don't know what the difference is between their 'thinner' and the 'brushing liquid"... but as I said I am just grasping at straws trying to figure out why yours is taking so long to dry..

Other than that it sounds like you did everything RIGHT...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #25380
08/03/06 07:15 PM
08/03/06 07:15 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Welp, heres after round one. got some sanding to do after the first coat hardens. Need to lose some peel, couple lines and a couple marks from air bubbles. I think the coat was too thick. Some areas it did'nt turn out half bad though. I'll have to get a method down as far as getting around the wiper nubs, inside the driprail, and in the jambs. I'm thinking ill have to run through with the hood/trunk/doors open and hit all that first. then go through to the rest of the body. my little foam brush is doing ok, you guys using a dabbing method?

2819960-painted1.jpg (321 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25381
08/03/06 09:02 PM
08/03/06 09:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

The reason I ask is that Interlux does have one of each of those products. The one for adding to the paint is th "Brushing Liquid" - their product number 333

Marq, thanks for your input. We are correct - I used the Special Thinner 216 only as a final wipe down. When it came time to paint, I did use the Brushing Liquid 333 at about 5-10% mixed with the Brightside.

The surfaces that remained tacky are the same surfaces that I treated with Picklex 20 rust preventer/converter, and then I brushed a thin coat of paint onto those same edges with a small foam brush once the rust preventer had sat for a couple hours. It could be the rust preventer... or the fact that it was several minutes from the time of brushed-on paint to the time of rolled-on paint; maybe the brushed-on edges sat for too long, and then were coated by the roller anyway, causing some sort of inability to dry.

Either way, the majority of the panel dried pretty nice and smooth, I'm not giving up. The tacky spots I wiped off with mineral spirits to the best of my ability, and the whole hood is going to be sanded down once again to remove the waves... hope I don't make this problem worse! Should I get a sanding board of some kind? I've already gone way overbudget, and I'm spending too much time going around town for supplies...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25382
08/03/06 11:14 PM
08/03/06 11:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

First off, I would like to extend major thanks to 69Chargeryeehaa for bringing this idea to the masses. And I can say, your timing couldn't have been better. Kudos also to all the people who have tried and tailored this method, and posted your project's progress, and to Moparts for having a thread that truly crosses boundaries and brings people together.

I have read all 67 pages of this awesome thread, and I think it is one of the most inspiring things I've seen on the web in a while. I followed a link to this thread from Grassroots and I have been hooked ever since.

I have recently acquired a project, and among many other things, she needs paint. Once I get the engine pulled and the body work done, she'll be ready. I have already special ordered my paint and bought all the other stuff I need to roller away. Sure, everybody thinks I'm crazy, but hell, they should have figured that out by now.

For anyone having trouble getting your Home Depot to special order a color for you, I had better luck going to the Customer Service counter rather than going to the paint counter. Just take the phone # for Rustoleum, (1-800-323-3585), and the model# of the paint you want. Be prepared to order a minimum of 2 gallons or 6 spray bombs.

I think the hardest part right now is figuring out if I want to go with any stripes or whatnot. I have been playing around with photoshop to see how different things will look. I have attached a pic of the car, not a mopar unfortunately, but a '76 Celica GT.

I have Rustoleum Professional Safety Orange on order(which matches the paint that's on the car now so closely it's weird), and I finally managed to find the weapons grade 100% stinky mineral spirits today at Ace Hardware (but only in quarts, no gallons).

I will keep you posted on the progress with pictures, once I get to that point I just had to log in and pay respects. Hopefully I will have something to contribute soon!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25383
08/03/06 11:28 PM
08/03/06 11:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is one of the simpler ideas I had, just a nice stripe across the trunk...

Last edited by EastCoastMojo; 08/03/06 11:33 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25384
08/03/06 11:34 PM
08/03/06 11:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Or maybe something kinda wild...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #25385
08/04/06 01:03 AM
08/04/06 01:03 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Goody - get some tack rags to pick up the dust between coats. I haven't seen them mentioned, but they are the best to use - unless someone has mentioned something specific about them not working with the paint, but I cannot see that being an issue.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25386
08/04/06 01:05 AM
08/04/06 01:05 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry - I saw where 69 Charger mentioned tack rags, (not tach rags) - cheap and do the best job.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25387
08/04/06 03:28 AM
08/04/06 03:28 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Either way, the majority of the panel dried pretty nice and smooth, I'm not giving up. The tacky spots I wiped off with mineral spirits to the best of my ability, and the whole hood is going to be sanded down once again to remove the waves... hope I don't make this problem worse! Should I get a sanding board of some kind? I've already gone way overbudget, and I'm spending too much time going around town for supplies...

Off with the paint! Well, I sanded everything down again, using the DA Porter-Cable with 220 grit, taking special care to try to make the surface more level this time. I had a partial can of generic spray primer in black, so I carefully sprayed all edges and exposed metal.

I skipped the Picklex-20 this time in case it was the culprit in "The Case of the Tacky Paint." I'm hoping to get up early in the AM to do a pass with 320 grit just prior to final wipedown... and then I'll roller some paint!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25388
08/04/06 11:19 AM
08/04/06 11:19 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

IIRC you're working on a hood ... if you da'd the paint off, you might want to hit it real quick with the same grit as the DA, but with a long-ish block. The DA takes off material very unevenly on flat surfaces, and is probably the source of your waves. Back when my dad and I were doing his 'vette over in the early 90s, we were doing bodywork, prime, and da'ing the poop out of it, we couldn't get a level surface until an old timer came over and laughed at us ... "da's are for shaping, guys ... you need to put those things down and start blocking the car out!"

(edited for spelling) (twice)

Last edited by oldsroller; 08/04/06 11:21 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25389
08/04/06 08:55 PM
08/04/06 08:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There is TONS of great info in this (and the other) thread. I have learned much and feel that I needed to contribute to the cause. So I was going to do a writeup on mixing greys from black and white Brightside.

What I learned so far:

A syringe will break when drawing Brightside into it.

50%/50% black/white mix is pretty dark and looks nice.

As soon as I figure out a good way to measure out small amounts, I'll post a color chart thing.

Last edited by plazmagog; 08/04/06 09:35 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25390
08/04/06 09:52 PM
08/04/06 09:52 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

There is TONS of great info in this (and the other) thread. I have learned much and feel that I needed to contribute to the cause. So I was going to do a writeup on mixing greys from black and white Brightside.

Brightside has four shades of gray pre-mixed and ready to serve from the can.

1 Seattle Gray = the lightest pre-mixed gray
2 Dusk Gray
3 Kingston Gray and
4 Steel Gray = the darkest pre-mixed gray

when you start cutting black with white... you can probably cover off the gray shades from Steel Gray up to just under a black.

Another way around your experiment is to buy cans of White Brightside and then pick up the black 'tint' that comes in toothpaste type tubes at Home Depot. The black tint in the tubes can be measured out in inches to get a repeatable formula for subsequent mixing. I think I paid about $3.00 for a tube. They are about the size of the hardening catalyst tubes that come with body filler.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25391
08/05/06 12:57 AM
08/05/06 12:57 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey guys this is my first post. Some1 on my local car forum tamparacing.com, posted a link to this original thread. That was at 9 and now its almost 1am!!! This thread is awesome! lots of information. but...

I was reading all the old replys all the way back to january and it was in trial stages. Now i started reading these newer ones and you are tlking about brightside?

Can some one please recap:
What exact type of enamel-(industrial?pro?anything oilbased?)
What brands work-(rustoleum,brightside?)

Are you guys still using the, 2 coats 400gt, 2 coats 800gt, 2 coats 1000gt, and 2 coats 1500gt then buffering?

Thanks for the help. Love the site.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25392
08/05/06 02:20 AM
08/05/06 02:20 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Hey guys this is my first post. Some1 on my local car forum tamparacing.com, posted a link to this original thread. That was at 9 and now its almost 1am!!! This thread is awesome! lots of information. but...

I was reading all the old replys all the way back to january and it was in trial stages. Now i started reading these newer ones and you are tlking about brightside?

Can some one please recap:
What exact type of enamel-(industrial?pro?anything oilbased?)
What brands work-(rustoleum,brightside?)

Are you guys still using the, 2 coats 400gt, 2 coats 800gt, 2 coats 1000gt, and 2 coats 1500gt then buffering?

Thanks for the help. Love the site.

Rustoleum Professional oil based or Interlux Brightside (a marine paint)

As far as the process goes, it really has had varied results, but it seems that 6 to 10+ coats is necessary (depending on underlaying color and thickness of layers) with wet sanding between every other coat.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25393
08/05/06 08:50 AM
08/05/06 08:50 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Brightside has four shades of gray pre-mixed and ready to serve from the can.

1 Seattle Gray = the lightest pre-mixed gray
2 Dusk Gray
3 Kingston Gray and
4 Steel Gray = the darkest pre-mixed gray

when you start cutting black with white... you can probably cover off the gray shades from Steel Gray up to just under a black.

Another way around your experiment is to buy cans of White Brightside and then pick up the black 'tint' that comes in toothpaste type tubes at Home Depot. The black tint in the tubes can be measured out in inches to get a repeatable formula for subsequent mixing. I think I paid about $3.00 for a tube. They are about the size of the hardening catalyst tubes that come with body filler.

Unfortunately, Interlux's shades of grey are far too light to match (or even come close) to the factory Medium Gray Metallic paint on my car. I'm hoping to be able to mix up a reasonably close match to that shade, sans metal flake.

On the Interlux website:

Quote:

Can I change the color of paint in the can?

The only way we recommend changing the color of our paints is to mix like paints, ie. Mixing Brightside with Brightside. We do not recommend addition of "universal" tints or pigments into our products. Yacht paint products are formulated to withstand harsh conditions and additions of universal tinters or any such products may affect water resistance, long term durability and may also slow down the drying time of the paint. We would also strongly discourage anyone from adding anything to antifouling paints that is not already mentioned on the label. Apart from affecting performance such additions may be illegal as antifouling paints are registered with a unique formula and addition of unauthorized materials, especially active ones to " improve " performance changes this unique formula.

I dunno if the whole tint statement is true or not, but I'd rather not risk it. The 50/50 mix is already very close to the correct color.

Guess todays project is cleaning out the garage and moving the Cutlass in there to start on it

On a side note:

Anyone know a good way to dye a plush cloth interior? The sun faded parts of the front interior from grey to blue.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25394
08/05/06 08:59 AM
08/05/06 08:59 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Has anyone (Marq?) wetsanded then polished the brightside yet?

I have not yet begun the final wetsand/polish on my car, but I know the paint still scratches (yep, with my fingernail) - not that it scratches all the way off, but it leaves a scratch.

Funny thing I've noticed is that when I've used rustoleum in spray cans, and even when I mixed some spray together in my refillable spray can, the paint has dried VERY hard in a matter of days or a week. I can't leave indentations in it with my fingernails like I can with the rolled on stuff.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25395
08/05/06 02:04 PM
08/05/06 02:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

On a side note:

Anyone know a good way to dye a plush cloth interior? The sun faded parts of the front interior from grey to blue.

They have many cloth dye's out there at like autozone... i've herd people say it rubs off but on my local forum people have been doing it and it has standed up to the hot florida weather for 3+years so far

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #25396
08/05/06 03:34 PM
08/05/06 03:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

...I know the paint still scratches (yep, with my fingernail) - not that it scratches all the way off, but it leaves a scratch...

Exit...get ready for a long wait! I've been in the process of preparing my car for a 'real' paint job. This roll-on stuff will not feather like other auto paint. When I try to sand, the Rustoleum peels!! My paint has been on for months - not dry yet...That sucks...

Another thing i've noticed...this thread has been going on forever...you'd think we'd have a bunch of success stories by now?!? Mine was a bomb...Chuck

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #25397
08/05/06 04:38 PM
08/05/06 04:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Has anyone (Marq?) wetsanded then polished the brightside yet?

I have not yet begun the final wetsand/polish on my car, but I know the paint still scratches (yep, with my fingernail) - not that it scratches all the way off, but it leaves a scratch.

Funny thing I've noticed is that when I've used rustoleum in spray cans, and even when I mixed some spray together in my refillable spray can, the paint has dried VERY hard in a matter of days or a week. I can't leave indentations in it with my fingernails like I can with the rolled on stuff.

That seems odd, I would of assumed it shouldn't scratch, me and you are pretty much in the same weather and my friends car was almost fully dry and scratch test proof after a few days. Maybe since we were putting it on a bit thicker, who knows.

Page 47 of 159 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 158 159