07/17/06 02:39 PM
07/17/06 02:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

the only thing stopping me fron using a rattle can, is the fact that my gallon color (safety yellow) and the spray bomb color (sunshine yellow) didnt have the same name. I think i'll get a can, and see if it matches.

Oh, and i'm a avid rattle can sprayer, only way i've painted for 3 yeras. (see attached pic)
Tha's my show car, rattle can painted in my garage, black primer.

2775146-air005.jpg (907 downloads)
Last edited by mullet; 07/17/06 02:43 PM.
Re: Well said, Marq! #25119
07/17/06 02:41 PM
07/17/06 02:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

and one more

2775152-air004.jpg (809 downloads)
Re: Well said, Marq! [Re: Marq] #25120
07/17/06 03:06 PM
07/17/06 03:06 PM
Alexandria,La.
B
BigTerry Offline
master
BigTerry  Offline
master
B

Alexandria,La.
Hey Thank for repling! great info! I have one more question.. how resistion is the paint when done to scratching??

thank for answering marq!!

Re: Well said, Marq! [Re: BigTerry] #25121
07/17/06 04:01 PM
07/17/06 04:01 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Hey Thank for repling! great info! I have one more question.. how resistion is the paint when done to scratching??

thank for answering marq!!

This is one of those questions for which there is no exact answer. From what I have seen with the Brightside paint and the Rustoleum/Tremclad paint your degree of hardness is directly related to the thickness/thiness of the layers you applied, how many layers you had to apply, the curing/evaporating time you permitted between adding layers, the temperature and humidity when you were applying the layers... and how long after you finish your project that you go an try an dig a finger nail into the paint

Another simple factor that might impact on the eventual hardness of your paint job ( or how soon it reaches that maximum level of hardness ) might be whether you do all your painting and curing in the garage.. or whether you put the car out in the sun to bake on alternative days between coatings.

I am pretty confident that either paint system will provide a paint job that is HARD ENOUGH to equal a professionally applied paint job.

You have to remember that even if you had taken your car to MAACO and gotten their top of the line polyeuathane paint job... they would tell you 'don't wax' or 'polish it' for at least a month... maybe up to three months. They might even go so far as to tell you to only bucket wash the car for the next six months and don't even think of taking the car through a car wash with brushes.

So everything is relevant when you consider the level of care you need to take with a professionally applied paint job and this roller job method. I believe the same rules probably apply to both paint jobs in order to let the paint fully cure to its maximum hardness. If treated similarly I believe both paint jobs will reach the same level of hardness and resist standard road threats equally.

The professionally applied paint job may reach its maximum level of hardness sooner... simply because there are less steps and intervening factors that can affect the curing time. But eventually both should reach the same level of hardness.

With the Rustoleum/Tremclad paint method... you are in theory laying on layers that are basically water thick. You are building thin layer after thin layer. And is only when you have layered on a sufficient number of these ultra-thin layers that you eventually have accumulated enough paint on the car body to give 100% coverage. Since each of those layers are so thin ( almost to the point of being translucent ) you can easily imagine that when a superhin layer is allowed to dry or cure befoe adding the next layer that it should be pretty [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] hard. Afterall, how much softness can exist in a layer of paint that might only be 1/5th of a mil in thickness. If you eventually reach 10 coats of Tremclad/Rustoleum ( as per the mineral spirit thinning method ) you will only have a skin about 2 mils in depth. The beauty of Charger's method is that by cutting the paint so thin and wet... it applies thin and it evaporates fairly quickly to reach its maximum hardness for each layer.

Now... with the Brightside paint... you are laying on layers that are about 3/10ths of a mil in thickness. And although the layer is somewhat thicker than the Rustoleum/Tremclad layers it is a polyeurathne and it use ketone as the solvent agent... hence it's 3/10th thick layer probably dries at the same rate as the 1/10 thick layer of Rustoleum/Tremclad.

Sorry for this lengthy essay... but hopefully I have covered enough of the 'factors' involving the eventual hardness of your paint job to put your mind at ease and answer your concerns.

Last edited by Marq; 07/17/06 04:05 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25122
07/17/06 04:07 PM
07/17/06 04:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cal96:

I'm also using the Wagner (Which is now $45 after rebate @ Home Depot, btw) and I have a couple of questions:

I'm finding that I can't spray properly when I hold it perpendicular to flat surfaces: How did you spray horizontal surfaces like the roof and the hood?

How many coats did you use total? I have about 1.7 coats (I put on a roller coat before I sprayed, but I took it down with some 800) and I'm getting pretty good coverage... I'm thinking 4 coats would be enough? I'm hoping to finish this before the weekend.

-Morwan

Last edited by Morwan; 07/17/06 04:08 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25123
07/17/06 05:31 PM
07/17/06 05:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Cal96:

I'm also using the Wagner (Which is now $45 after rebate @ Home Depot, btw) and I have a couple of questions:

I'm finding that I can't spray properly when I hold it perpendicular to flat surfaces: How did you spray horizontal surfaces like the roof and the hood?

How many coats did you use total? I have about 1.7 coats (I put on a roller coat before I sprayed, but I took it down with some 800) and I'm getting pretty good coverage... I'm thinking 4 coats would be enough? I'm hoping to finish this before the weekend.

-Morwan

$45 bucks? did anyone sign the paper or anything...maybe i can just grab a rebate paper and send it in...lol.

perpendicular spray: the gun has a "L" like shape nosal...when you angle the gun, more paint will lean to that side....th "L" can be moved to pointing back, if you are painting upward..cuz all the paint will be moving downward...you should have less problem if the container was full but we arent spraying that much. i think mines was at 40 not sure, ill check again later. but your car might be diff. mines, i just had it pointing forward , away from me. so when im painting down (perpendicular) most of my paint will be at the front of the container...also i spray the hard part first...i had nothing to hold my fenders, bumper to an higher ground where its easier to spray. so i spray those part first...on the roof, i was standing on a chair. spray one side then go around and spray the other. and make sure you hold the cable with your left hand and spray with your right (if right handed). them cables be touching everywhere! and water the ground so dust dont fly up when spraying. that should cover the hood too..
i used about 6-7 i guess, some day would be thicker then others. i had this problem only cause i was mixing still and wanted to see what color i liked (adding black, then thinner then more black...) so my car isnt one same color of layer...only last 3 where same. sanded it all with 800 grit. try to spray it smooth without orange peels as possible. omg, i cannot tell you if you dont youll be wetsanding the whole car everytime you finish your layer...thats pain in the butt. also do NOT use cheap tape when taping up your car. if you dont listen youll find out later.
yes, 4 coat could be enough. if you dont have sand marks showing or bondo area. just spray slightly thicker and let it bake in the sun. next day if i dont smell paint i know its dry. good luck!

Last edited by Cal96; 07/17/06 05:46 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25124
07/17/06 06:07 PM
07/17/06 06:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you bought the sprayer at home depot, all you need is the UPC and the receipt. Here's a link to the rebate form:

FIXED LINK (Thanks Jaco D)
http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS...oorProducts.pdf

Just send it in before the end of the month and you should be fine.

Thanks for the tips! Second/Third coat will be going on in an hour... Then wetsanding tomorrow. I'd like to put more coats on, but I've got to use the car on Saturday. :/

-Morwan

Last edited by Morwan; 07/18/06 03:47 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25125
07/17/06 08:34 PM
07/17/06 08:34 PM
St Andrews ,Manitoba ,Canada
C
C38coupe Offline
C38coupe  Offline
C

St Andrews ,Manitoba ,Canada
I asked this question earlier in the thread, but here goes again.
What product do I use to treat rust pits in my metal on my 48 Chrysler Coupe, after it's been sanded and before it's primered/painted.
I am bargain hunter so what out there is cheap in price, yet effective, in a perfect world I would have my entire exterior of my car soda blasted, before I got my $5000.00 paint job.
This car is made with 18 gauge high quality sheet metal, but after sanding out some panels, I am not able to get out all the pits left behind by surface rust and rust pits..........Fred PS any automotive primer thats compatible with enamels could anyone recommend, or should I just use Tremclad primer

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25126
07/17/06 08:35 PM
07/17/06 08:35 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!
78D150CLUB  Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!

Ontario, Canada
For those in Canada who might want an interesting color, my choice for the two tone with Hunter turned out a little bright for my taste, but I'll cut in some of the darker green so it's a bit less garish
Anyway, my actual point is that Tremclad #566 in the tintable is almost a match for Mopar's 1970 Limelight on the Charger/Challenger. Really would look good with the black body stripe like Mopar used

I want to die like my Grampa, peacefully, in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: C38coupe] #25127
07/17/06 09:04 PM
07/17/06 09:04 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

What product do I use to treat rust pits in my metal on my 48 Chrysler Coupe, after it's been sanded and before it's primered/painted.

I am bargain hunter so what out there is cheap in price, yet effective, in a perfect world I would have my entire exterior of my car soda blasted, before I got my $5000.00 paint job.
This car is made with 18 gauge high quality sheet metal, but after sanding out some panels, I am not able to get out all the pits left behind by surface rust and rust pits..........Fred PS any automotive primer thats compatible with enamels could anyone recommend, or should I just use Tremclad primer

I do not know what the specific product name is... but there is an interesting chemical that is used by windshield installers... that just might be what you are looking for...

On older cars... when the windshield installer removes the windshield, sometimes there is rust holes found under where the windshield was mounted on the window frame. Half the time there are similar rust throughs on the pillars.

Anyhow, to make a long story short ( as if I could ever do that )... the windshield installers usually grind out the rusted area and then coat the area with a liquid that they apply with a small paint brush. Sometimes the paint brush is build right into the bottle that this stuff comes in.

This 'brown liquid' does two jobs... it KILLS any future rust wherever it is applied AND it builds up a layer that has the appearance of a thick primer. You can sand this 'brown primer' when it dries and it provides a stable surface that you can work further on with additional sanding or priming etc.

If I am correct you could give a call around to a couple of your local windshield installers and ask them what chemical they use to kill rust pits that they find under windshields.

Some of the 'crappy' windshield installers will just put a tar type coating over rust pits... but that doesn't displace water or block oxygen getting through to the rust pits. But then again the crappy installers don't really care because they are going to slap new glass over the area and this defective repair won't be found out until the next time you replace the windshield glass.

There is a similar product in a small bottle ( with a brush built into the cap ) that is sold at Pep Boys ( in the States ) or through auto body and paint jobbers ( the guys that supply shop supplies to the body shops ) and possible even at Canadian Tire ( for the folks in Canada ). The stuff is fairly cheap ( costwise ). Less than $10 a bottle.

If you locate this wonderous rust killing liquid... you just dab it onto any of the rust pits that remain after you rough grind the area.

Since the stuff is fairly thick ( like a thick paint ) it goes on and gives pretty good coverage. You can then lay some bondo over it and they are quite compatible. Bondo sticks amazingly well to this stuff.

I had to use it on my McLaren about three years ago when I first started doing the bodywork on the car. The car then sat outside for two years in Pennsylvania and then in a garage in Ottawa for three years... and all the bodywork that was done on that area HELD TRUE for all that time... no re-occurence of rust and no expansion/contraction of the rust coating against the bondo layer that was placed over it.

I wish I could give you the product name... but hopefully a few quick phone calls to the more reputable windshield replacement companies will lead you in the right direction.

At the time it was a brown glass bottle - with a brush built into the cap.. and the goop inside is also brownish in appearance I believe..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: C38coupe] #25128
07/17/06 09:53 PM
07/17/06 09:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well guys, I finally got started on my cheap paint job. I found this thread a couple of weeks ago and stayed up all night reading the entire thread. Here is a picture of the 4th coat of Regal Red on the hood. I am amazed at how well the paint lays down. It would be better if I didn't have to paint in a dirt floor barn.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25129
07/17/06 09:56 PM
07/17/06 09:56 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Here is what I hope the truck will look like when it is finished. Ignore the lack of skill with photoshop. Colors are regal red, canvas white and almond.

2776305-1stchoice.jpg (954 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25130
07/18/06 12:18 AM
07/18/06 12:18 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I found this thread on coloradok5.com
All i can say is WOW this is very cool. Soon as i close on my house im doing it to my 79 3/4 4x4 Chevy truck! Ive attached a pic also of what the truck looks like as of now.
Can i get pretty much any color? I really like the color blue on the new Monte Carlos. Is that possible. If not im going orange. Also is a satin black available for doing the interior?

2776727-Picture002.jpg (787 downloads)
Last edited by Imacarguytoo; 07/18/06 12:23 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25131
07/18/06 01:13 AM
07/18/06 01:13 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Here is what I hope the truck will look like when it is finished. Ignore the lack of skill with photoshop. Colors are regal red, canvas white and almond.

Very nice tx4wheeler! Good to see another using canvas white .

The canvas white does seem like it would go well with a dark red.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25132
07/18/06 03:38 AM
07/18/06 03:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

If you bought the sprayer at home depot, all you need is the UPC and the receipt. Here's a link to the rebate form:

[url=http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/pc/common/pdfs/042706_072606_WagnerPaintProducts.pdf]

Just send it in before the end of the month and you should be fine.

Thanks for the tips! Second/Third coat will be going on in an hour... Then wetsanding tomorrow. I'd like to put more coats on, but I've got to use the car on Saturday. :/

-Morwan

Pardner, here's the right rebate form:

Bought the unit last week to waterproof my folks' deck. Was in the middle of trying this roller method on my daily driver when I thought of using the Wagner on the car. The only thing is it might take a while since I'm completely stripping the car to metal. It's a 92 japanese import, and from what I've heard, finishes on cars of that era weren't that great due to environmental concerns regarding the type of paint that can be applied (don't quote me on this - this is news passed on for the nth time). Anyway, the paint is in bad shape. On top of the car's original paint, sporadic layers of spray bomb paint and a lousy MAACO paint job have been applied so I decided to strip the thing to bare metal and start from there. It took me one and a half weeks of after office time (till the sun went down) just to strip the hood to bare metal using an 18-volt cordless drill and 80-grit 3M sanding pads. Haven't yet decided to strip the car in one shot then do the roller thing or do a "strip/roll/strip/roll,etc." (ok boys, don't let your imaginations run wild ) while doing one panel at a time. Of course, the Wagner is another option.

By the way, to those who bought the Wagner, it has a simple viscosity checker which comes with it to determine whether the paint is thin enought for the HVLP spayer. Anyway, have you tried "rolling" that mixture and what are the results? I'm thinking, if it's thin enough for the sprayer, then it might be thin enough to be rolled with the least amount of problems (orange peel, etc.).

Just trying to come up with a standard or benchmark for an acceptable paint thickness.

Here's what that contraption looks like:

http://www.gleempaint.com/viscosity-cup.html

Refer to page 4 of the Wagner manual on how to use it.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/gleempaint/control-spray.pdf

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25133
07/18/06 07:02 AM
07/18/06 07:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Very nice, 4-wheeler! Another truck brought back from the grave.

I swear, it's just about as much fun watching how other folks' projects come out than doing your own...of course ya don't have to clean up after other folks....

The hood looks great! Please keep us up to date. I'm back for my 1000 grit sanding this weekend, then the final exterior coats (weather permitting). Still got a few rough spots to work on.

2776936-P7090006.JPG (539 downloads)
Last edited by RevDodd; 07/18/06 07:03 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25134
07/18/06 03:36 PM
07/18/06 03:36 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Tee hee... I am such a pain in the butt Something struck me as wrong about the slanting backward of the graphic on the truck. So I fired up my photoshop and took a shot at what I think is more sexy on your truck style...

That is normally how they do it when they want to do up a vehicle to make it look like it is in motion ( even when parked ). It gives sort of the look of a highway crossing across your truck..

2778061-Image1.gif (344 downloads)
Last edited by Marq; 07/18/06 04:14 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25135
07/18/06 03:53 PM
07/18/06 03:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Pardner, here's the right rebate form:

Whoops, I pasted that link at first and I thought I had corrected it.. Didn't bother to check. Original post is fixed now.

Put on the second spray coat, the coverage is excellent (the car is one color now!) It drives me nuts seeing my car covered in white fuzz ten minutes after I lay down the coat, and I think a bird crapped on my car this morning.

If you need to get rid of rust, I'd recommend POR-15. It's pretty expensive (a can of it was $35 at my local body supply store), but it's an all-in one product that works: it converts, seals, and primes rust.. And I've never heard of it failing.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25136
07/18/06 04:31 PM
07/18/06 04:31 PM
Lubbock, TX
slantvaliant Offline
enthusiast
slantvaliant  Offline
enthusiast

Lubbock, TX
Quote:

What product do I use to treat rust pits in

I used a rust converter spray to kill the rust. There are several brands, usually somewhere in the paint aisle. Rustoleum even has one.
Then, you can use a sandable primer to fill them, or even a skim coat of filler.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: slantvaliant] #25137
07/18/06 04:34 PM
07/18/06 04:34 PM
Lubbock, TX
slantvaliant Offline
enthusiast
slantvaliant  Offline
enthusiast

Lubbock, TX
Watch out, Marq, you're getting close to the Striped Tomato - Starsky and Hutch Torino look there ...

Page 34 of 159 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 158 159