08/04/17 10:03 AM
08/04/17 10:03 AM
west palm beach, florida
modelmakerinc Offline
top fuel
modelmakerinc  Offline
top fuel

west palm beach, florida
I naturally assumed you were talking about the 66/67 Charger/Coronet because they share the same platform and many of the same parts.

So I will bow out of this confusion.

Good luck

Exceptional Architectural, Yacht and Automotive scale models. e-mail modelmakerinc@att.net for a portfolio review. www.modelmakerinc.com
Re: Coroner to charger [Re: bigblockbryan] #2348344
08/04/17 11:11 AM
08/04/17 11:11 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
I know my english is not the best, but at least is not my mother language!

Ok, lets see, all the unybody parts but the roof are the same.

Outer shell is completelly different

So anything from the unybody can be used but still will need to work on shell parts, patching or getting full panels.

Once again... is doable? Yes.

As far you can make the most posible by yourself will save a bunch of money and could worth the try.

If you have to pay for the job, maybe is better get a better car to work on unless the Charger gets a VIN that can make worth the job.

Got it?

Unless is a challenge for you trying to build a car from two cars... but maybe is better keep the Coronet as Coronet and forget about save a rusty bucket Charger?

O course mostly sure build the Charger using THAT parts car in just $600 will be cheaper than buy unybody reproduction parts!

Pics will be helpfull to post a better opinion

Last edited by NachoRT74; 08/04/17 11:22 AM.

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela
Re: Coroner to charger [Re: bigblockbryan] #2348347
08/04/17 11:20 AM
08/04/17 11:20 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
What is your fabrication and welding skill level at? If I had a 70 charger with a rotted out floor/trunk I would pull it apart and back-half it from the firewall back. However with the values of the 68-70 charger stuff it would be well worth it to buy repro sheet metal for it.

Re: Coroner to charger [Re: bigblockbryan] #2348358
08/04/17 11:42 AM
08/04/17 11:42 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By bigblockbryan
Kinda I really want a charger I just can't see spending 10 grand on a shell and still having rust to fix I was planning on ordering all the metal from amd but then this coroner came up I started thinking it maybe just as easy to do this instead I was just curious to see if anyone else had done this or thought about doing it

Rather than cutting up both cars to make one Frankenstein quilt and patch work creation, just de-skin the CORONET enough to hang any good used sheetmetal along with some AMD full qtrs and whatever associated body panels you need to convert the CORONET into a Charger, then swap the Charger VIN onto the new shell

Re: Coroner to charger [Re: bigblockbryan] #2348359
08/04/17 11:46 AM
08/04/17 11:46 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
That's what would be, more less.

But isn't that what you call "rebody" a car? Is that legal up there? I have known not!

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela
Re: Coroner to charger [Re: DAYCLONA] #2348361
08/04/17 11:47 AM
08/04/17 11:47 AM
Texas Hill Country
Centerline Offline
enthusiast
Centerline  Offline
enthusiast

Texas Hill Country
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Kinda I really want a charger I just can't see spending 10 grand on a shell and still having rust to fix I was planning on ordering all the metal from amd but then this coroner came up I started thinking it maybe just as easy to do this instead I was just curious to see if anyone else had done this or thought about doing it

Rather than cutting up both cars to make one Frankenstein quilt and patch work creation, just de-skin the CORONET enough to hang any good used sheetmetal along with some AMD full qtrs and whatever associated body panels you need to convert the CORONET into a Charger, then swap the Charger VIN onto the new shell

That's just a little bit illegal. Swapping VIN tags can get you serious jail time.

Centerline
64 Dodge Polara 426 Street Wedge - For when I want to go fast
99 Corvette Z-06 - For when I want to turn corners
Re: Coroner to charger [Re: Centerline] #2348446
08/04/17 02:19 PM
08/04/17 02:19 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By Centerline

That's just a little bit illegal. Swapping VIN tags can get you serious jail time.

Maybe if you were dealing in stolen cars, which the laws were intended for, not for some enthusiast restoring or creating a vehicle from a number of donors/parts that are legally owned

Re: Coroner to charger [Re: DAYCLONA] #2348462
08/04/17 02:41 PM
08/04/17 02:41 PM
between the coasts
4mayhemi Offline
enthusiast
4mayhemi  Offline
enthusiast

between the coasts

Maybe if you were dealing in stolen cars, which the laws were intended for, not for some enthusiast restoring or creating a vehicle from a number of donors/parts that are legally owned

That might be the best point you've had in the VIN saga, especially considering most of us are good people keeping cars til we die. I think it matters that at some point the car will be sold and passed off as real for big bucks, and that doesn't sit well with many of us. We're talking about 20 or 80 or 250 thousand dollars, not a $30 toaster.

In the OP's case, a 70 Charger is worth saving the extra $ for AMD and doing it right, rather than a hack job. So even if his welding handiwork is perfect, what, is he going to try and use house paint he can save $1100 on?

Re: Coroner to charger [Re: DAYCLONA] #2348489
08/04/17 03:25 PM
08/04/17 03:25 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA

Fraud, swapping VINs is fraud.

Using the VIN from one car one another & then insuring car 2 with the numbers from car one is also insurance fraud.

Re: Coroner to charger [Re: DAYCLONA] #2348582
08/04/17 06:51 PM
08/04/17 06:51 PM
Texas Hill Country
Centerline Offline
enthusiast
Centerline  Offline
enthusiast

Texas Hill Country

The law doesn't care. You can have all the good intentions in the world but VIN swapping is illegal no matter how (or why) you do it.

Centerline
Re: Coroner to charger [Re: Alaskan_TA] #2348583
08/04/17 06:55 PM
08/04/17 06:55 PM
jersey shore
F
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas
flypaper  Offline
I hate Texas
F

jersey shore
What if you took the dash frame, cowl, roof, trunk gutters And rad support off a car and used the parts of 16 other cars to make it whole again??

Re: Coroner to charger [Re: flypaper] #2348591
08/04/17 07:13 PM
08/04/17 07:13 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By flypaper
What if you took the dash frame, cowl, roof, trunk gutters And rad support off a car and used the parts of 16 other cars to make it whole again??

Well according to Mopar goody2shoers Law, that's OK, because when sheetmetal body/frame parts are separated from the donor(s), they magically become null and void of any identification ready for transplant,even if you've reconstructed 80% of the vehicle with multiple donor cars & parts, but yet when you remove the VINs from a clean rustfree/undamaged legally owned/purchased donor vehicle somehow their essence is still ingrained on the now rolling anonymous sheetmetal hulk and somehow assigning a donor VIN is taboo? it's just a machine, a collection of parts, a vehicle's identity is define legally by it's title,...paperwork, nothing more...

Re: Coroner to charger [Re: DAYCLONA] #2348595
08/04/17 07:19 PM
08/04/17 07:19 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
Well according to Mopar goody2shoers Law, that's OK, because when sheetmetal body/frame parts are separated from the donor(s), they magically become null and void of any identification ready for transplant,even if you've reconstructed 80% of the vehicle with multible donor parts, but yet when you remove the VINs from a clean rustfree/undamaged donor vehicle somehow their essence is still ingrained on the rolling anonymous sheetmetal hulk and somehow assigning a donor VIN is taboo?

Illegal / fraud / taboo.

Number swapping is for fakers & frauds - Not for the law abiding with scruples & morals.

Re: Coroner to charger [Re: Alaskan_TA] #2348609
08/04/17 07:42 PM
08/04/17 07:42 PM
jersey shore
F
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas
flypaper  Offline
I hate Texas
F

jersey shore
Originally Posted By Alaskan_TA
Well according to Mopar goody2shoers Law, that's OK, because when sheetmetal body/frame parts are separated from the donor(s), they magically become null and void of any identification ready for transplant,even if you've reconstructed 80% of the vehicle with multible donor parts, but yet when you remove the VINs from a clean rustfree/undamaged donor vehicle somehow their essence is still ingrained on the rolling anonymous sheetmetal hulk and somehow assigning a donor VIN is taboo?

Illegal / fraud / taboo.

Number swapping is for fakers & frauds - Not for the law abiding with scruples & morals.

How is what I described illegal?
No numbers were changed?

Parts were replaced one or 2 at a time
Not all at once.

Re: Coroner to charger [Re: bigblockbryan] #2348618
08/04/17 07:53 PM
08/04/17 07:53 PM
between the coasts
4mayhemi Offline
enthusiast
4mayhemi  Offline
enthusiast

between the coasts
Came across this, in your neck of the woods?
framerails
Front sets with both frame rails, radiator support and torsion bar mount
1966-70 B-Body $600
Rear sets both frame rails, shock brace, and brace above gas tank.
1966-70 B-body Dodge $500
These are all factory origial pieces already welded together at fraction of cost of reproductions that you have to weld together and square up with car. Saves time and money

00f0f_6NsoRnjSTqo_600x450.jpg
Re: Coroner to charger [Re: 4mayhemi] #2348635
08/04/17 08:23 PM
08/04/17 08:23 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By 4mayhemi
Came across this, in your neck of the woods?
framerails

Those appear to be 71-72 B body

Re: Coroner to charger [Re: bigblockbryan] #2348761
08/05/17 12:50 AM
08/05/17 12:50 AM
Pittsburgh,PA
RTSrunner Offline
top fuel
RTSrunner  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh,PA
Use both VIN's to get a special construction tag /state issued VIN.Just document your rebuild process with pics.

Re: Coroner to charger [Re: flypaper] #2348937
08/05/17 01:28 PM
08/05/17 01:28 PM
Texas Hill Country
Centerline Offline
enthusiast
Centerline  Offline
enthusiast

Texas Hill Country
Originally Posted By flypaper

Number swapping is for fakers & frauds - Not for the law abiding

How is what I described illegal?
No numbers were changed?

Parts were replaced one or 2 at a time
Not all at once.

What you suggested would not be fraud since you would not be swapping VIN numbers. Simply replacing sheet metal on an existing car is not a problem. Its when a VIN tag is removed from one car and used on another that it is illegal.... and for very good reasons. Not just for theft but also to keep people from passing off a fraudulently assembled car as an original. Like passing off a Superbird clone as a "real" Superbird by transplanting an actual Superbird VIN tag on a Roadrunner body and adding the other parts required to make it a clone.

Legally a car is born with one VIN number and the ONLY authority who can change that is the state DMV..... and only for specific reasons. Usually for a custom assembled vehicle or where the tag as been lost or there has been legitimate damage that destroyed the tag. Then the DMV will assign a new VIN for the car.

18 U.S. Code § 511 - Altering or removing motor vehicle identification numbers

(a) A person who—
(1) knowingly removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters an identification number for a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part; or
(2) with intent to further the theft of a motor vehicle, knowingly removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters a decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act,
shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

Last edited by Centerline; 08/05/17 01:34 PM.

Centerline
Page 2 of 2 1 2