05/22/06 05:01 PM
05/22/06 05:01 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

any tips on buffing? also, how do u apply the compound to the bonnet? lastly... which bonnet is best to use?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23111
05/22/06 05:16 PM
05/22/06 05:16 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

have anyone try mixing the paint and stuff and take a hood or trunk lid hanging it over a tub and pour the paint over it and letting it drain and pour it on for another coat??

Why on earth would anyone try that?

Yeah, really.

I had better luck putting the car and paint in a huge plastic bag and shaking it vigorously.

Just make sure you tape off the windows and stuff first.

LOL. Plus, if you're painting a car blood red like me, and you've got that stuff all over your tub.. its not going to look very good.

For the polishing, you can smear polish onto the applicator (foam pad was recommended here some ways back). On my little test areas I've also wet the surface with spray water, then smushed the polish randomly around the area, then use the polisher to work it all around. Not sure what method ill use on the car, but putting the polish on the car first made it easier on my test area. but they were small areas.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23112
05/22/06 07:43 PM
05/22/06 07:43 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Personally I plan on experimenting with Rustoleum's rusty metal primer and a roller. Jax2A

Hey Jax--you only want to use that rusty metal primer on metal that is actually rusted. It contains fish oil and will not be suitable on clean metal. If the oil isn't able to soak into the rusty metal it will wick back up into your finish coat. Use clean metal primer on non-heavily rusted metal. That's what I'm going to use, and I'll roll it on.

I'm planning to roll it on at full strength and add a bit of Penetrol hoping that will help it go on level. I will be sanding the primer anyway and doing at least a couple of coats to get a nice base, so roller marks should be an issue.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #23113
05/22/06 09:45 PM
05/22/06 09:45 PM
Alexandria,La.
B
BigTerry Offline
master
BigTerry  Offline
master
B

Alexandria,La.
hehehe was just wondering wouldn't that save time by taken the hood trunklid and door off and doing that??

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: BigTerry] #23114
05/23/06 03:13 AM
05/23/06 03:13 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hi guys, i was shopping at Lowe's and i realized that on their Rustoleum Professional, on the small cans of Safty Yellow, it says Gloss, but on the big can, it doesn't say Gloss, it only says Safty Yellow, so i was wondering if all the Rustoleum Professional paint are glossy, besides where it says FLAT black or flat white...

also, i tried some gloss black, i rolled it on some panels, wet sanded, and when i buff it, it doesn't bring out any gloss....pretty much flat black no matter how i buff/polish it by hand or by machine....any help? thanks!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23115
05/23/06 07:57 AM
05/23/06 07:57 AM
Cleveland
sunroofgtx Offline
I Live Here
sunroofgtx  Offline
I Live Here

Cleveland
So , if we are planning on using a black, it must be gloss black, and no flat or satin ?? Can flat be sanded , and stay flat, without buffing it ??

Join the quickest team in motorsports. Team FireCore. CustomWiresets.com
Re: paint job on a budget!? #23116
05/23/06 10:08 AM
05/23/06 10:08 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Hi guys, i was shopping at Lowe's and i realized that on their Rustoleum Professional, on the small cans of Safty Yellow, it says Gloss, but on the big can, it doesn't say Gloss, it only says Safty Yellow, so i was wondering if all the Rustoleum Professional paint are glossy, besides where it says FLAT black or flat white...

also, i tried some gloss black, i rolled it on some panels, wet sanded, and when i buff it, it doesn't bring out any gloss....pretty much flat black no matter how i buff/polish it by hand or by machine....any help? thanks!

Ive bought almond before that sometimes said gloss and sometimes didn't, but the number was the same and they were both gloss. however the gallons are VOC regulated which is why I bought quarts. I'm not sure if there's a difference because the VOC are from solvents and we are adding mineral spirits as solvent, but I figured what the heck..

For the black, on your final coat what grit(s) of paper did you use? Did you start rough then go finer, or did you start with 1500 or 2000?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23117
05/23/06 11:25 AM
05/23/06 11:25 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Maybe your grit was too coarse. I finished a part of my hood with 1500 grit, and then polished and it came out purty!
(those are clouds reflecting in it)

Notice the unsanded to the right. I think it came out awesome!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23118
05/23/06 05:12 PM
05/23/06 05:12 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
ok guys. i need to know if the rustoleum primer is rollable. or any suggestions are welcome.

it looks like i will have to end up selling my duster because we are moving and its not worth spending the $1,100 to ship it from here to florida. and its definately not cross country worthy to drive. So i would like to get it solid color...primer preferably. I don't want to spend the time and sweat outside doing all the coats and trying to polish a bright color up just to sell it. I'd like to do primer...can it be rolled flat like the other color paints?

What do you guys suggest? I really rather not spray bomb it or anything like that.

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #23119
05/23/06 05:32 PM
05/23/06 05:32 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

thanks for the reply!

the VOC(smaller can) and the Quart(bigger can) have different part #s...

on the black, i use the small can that i bought from home depot with says "Stop Rust", but at Lowe's the same can of gloss black, it says Professional on the logo...so i was wondering if i bought the wrong paint...

however on last coat, i was wetsanding from lower grit and ended with 1200grit...so i am guessing i should've gone even higher? 1500 or even 2000? coz the buff barely bring out any shine...a very crappy shine...

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #23120
05/23/06 06:37 PM
05/23/06 06:37 PM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Quote:

ok guys. i need to know if the rustoleum primer is rollable. or any suggestions are welcome.

it looks like i will have to end up selling my duster because we are moving and its not worth spending the $1,100 to ship it from here to florida. and its definately not cross country worthy to drive. So i would like to get it solid color...primer preferably. I don't want to spend the time and sweat outside doing all the coats and trying to polish a bright color up just to sell it. I'd like to do primer...can it be rolled flat like the other color paints?

What do you guys suggest? I really rather not spray bomb it or anything like that.

Hey GOODY, if you can, find a way to keep that car, you'll need a car thats pretty good on gas and has a/c when you get down here in this hot/muggy/humid florida weather. Besides, when you get down here, rustfree cars like yours cost more money. You guys out in the deserts got it good. Hold on to it if you can.

What part of Fla are you moving to. Im in college in Gainesville, but I keep my car at home in Orlando.

As far as the primer goes, I dont know. Theres been more than one discussed. One was said to be designed for rust, and didnt perform well on good metal. Then there was the spraycan rustoleum primer that a lot of guys have been using with good results. And other guys have said that you can get a primer that you can roller from the auto body stores.

Last edited by roe; 05/23/06 06:38 PM.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: paint job on a budget!? #23121
05/23/06 06:52 PM
05/23/06 06:52 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

thanks for the reply!

the VOC(smaller can) and the Quart(bigger can) have different part #s...

on the black, i use the small can that i bought from home depot with says "Stop Rust", but at Lowe's the same can of gloss black, it says Professional on the logo...so i was wondering if i bought the wrong paint...

however on last coat, i was wetsanding from lower grit and ended with 1200grit...so i am guessing i should've gone even higher? 1500 or even 2000? coz the buff barely bring out any shine...a very crappy shine...

Yes I think the last coat should end with 1500 minimum or 2000.

The professional line of paint is what Im using. Really, I do not know about the difference in the formulation except that the pro stuff is supposed to "dry faster" - although the rustoleum folks told me that about the spray. If the non-spray dries faster, it probably has to do with the solvents, and since we are adding mineral spirits as solvent, again i dont know what difference it makes.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #23122
05/23/06 09:40 PM
05/23/06 09:40 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Last edited by iknowyou; 05/23/06 09:41 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #23123
05/23/06 10:03 PM
05/23/06 10:03 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

A little tip, let it sit in the sun for about a hour or so until it feels like it is going to burn you. Then take it in is shade and let it cool off. The heating/cooling of the paint makes it stick better. I think it is because the expanding/shrinking of the paint. I also found that it is better to paint when it is cool and then let it dry when it is warm. (painting at night and then letting sit till the afternoon) This also helps with the drying..

That method also works when spraying too. I've been painting stuff for about 6 years now and that is just what I found. Good luck!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23124
05/23/06 10:47 PM
05/23/06 10:47 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Whew! I finally finshed this ginormous thread. I was curious why no one elsed tried the PENETROL... Seems to me the pics looked really good. Did I miss something?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23125
05/23/06 11:55 PM
05/23/06 11:55 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Well crap. I've been reading this thread for a while after seeing a link from hybridz.org. I really want to do this to my Z since I'm a poor college student...but...I can't find this paint anywhere in my area.

I want the Gloss Orange, but out of the two places I found that do have it in gallons, they don't have the color and don't know how to order it.

Anybody know where to get it online??

...and hey...thanks a lot in advanced Charger. Great posts.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23126
05/24/06 12:46 AM
05/24/06 12:46 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Whew! I finally finshed this ginormous thread. I was curious why no one elsed tried the PENETROL... Seems to me the pics looked really good. Did I miss something?

I may give penetrol a shot when I roll my engine bay and door jambs. The concern I would have is that since the paint goes on thicker when using penetrol, does that paint dry and level as well as the very thin coats that we get when thinning with mineral spirits?

If it does that would be a sweet deal. The guy who originally (claimed to have?) painted with penetrol with 3 coats, and using a foam brush over the entire surface after apparently misreading 69charger's very clear instructions, has not been heard from since then.

I'll definately post results when I get to the point of trying it on my car. I'm kind of wishing I did more testing with penetrol before, because I'm putting a lot more coats than I bargained for on my dart. Just finished the 7th coat and I'm not sure if 3 more coats will color it completely. But using mineral spirits I have enough experience, and others do, that it can come out well.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #23127
05/24/06 12:56 AM
05/24/06 12:56 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Exit,

Thanks for the advice. I decided to switch to Pro gloss black and do it your way. Worked very well. 2 coats so far. If I can keep it up, this will turn out quite nice.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23128
05/24/06 01:14 AM
05/24/06 01:14 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Exit,

Thanks for the advice. I decided to switch to Pro gloss black and do it your way. Worked very well. 2 coats so far. If I can keep it up, this will turn out quite nice.

Cool!

On my 7th coat tonight I was having the problem where the paint was going on too thick, and when I attempted to smooth it out, I would get these random drip/single bubble things that I had to keep going over and over then another one or two would pop up. It was from extra paint coming off the roller. It was very frustrating but I think I chased them all down. But all I had to do was push more paint out of the roller before i took it to the car, and that didn't happen any more. The coats are really thin but at least they dont take much time to sand..

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: BigTerry] #23129
05/24/06 07:10 AM
05/24/06 07:10 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

have anyone try mixing the paint and stuff and take a hood or trunk lid hanging it over a tub and pour the paint over it and letting it drain and pour it on for another coat??

Wow what a great thread, thanks Charger69.
As far as dipping parts, it has been reported in several Mopar magazines that this is how the Factory actually "painted" certain vehicle components B4 assembly. Apparently they had huge vats of gloss black enamel paint and simply dipped the component into the vat, pulled it out let it drip dry, then install it. Supposedly this process is used when restoring Big Dollar cars.
Would need a big bath tho, to dip a 69 Charger.

Page 82 of 85 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 85