05/13/06 08:01 PM
05/13/06 08:01 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

where did you guys buy your 100% minerial spirit at? couldnt find any at homedepo or wallmart. thx

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23011
05/13/06 08:31 PM
05/13/06 08:31 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

where did you guys buy your 100% minerial spirit at? couldnt find any at homedepo or wallmart. thx

try kelly moore, look for the paint thinner that says its made from 100% mineral spirits.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23012
05/13/06 11:51 PM
05/13/06 11:51 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Here are a couple pics of the first coat, which like everyone else, went on too thick, lesson learned (new moto, thinner the better).

yes you went way to thick. And those runs man!! you have to roll them out. You need to thin it down much more. then just do a litte spot about 12" square. that way if its still to thick you dont have to sand your hand off to get the orange peel out. And your going to have alot of orange peel there to flatten out. just do a little spot to test consistency. when you get it thin enough it will lay down flat like glass. you will know when you have it there.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23013
05/14/06 11:57 AM
05/14/06 11:57 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Yeah thats kinda what I did, and why I only prep'd a small area in the center, because I was only planning to test a small area, but then put to much on and had to spread it around which inturn covered the whole hood. I'm only going to work on the center. The hood as a whole is in pretty bad shape, and rusty spots were painted over to spread the paint around.

Can see everything here:
http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/outoftheblue9/

Last edited by Smite; 05/14/06 12:16 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #23014
05/14/06 12:01 PM
05/14/06 12:01 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Here is after painting the 3rd coat. BTW, this test piece wiill be used more to see how much shine I can get when finished, to see if its worth spending time on doing a full car.

So far, it hardens to sand in 8 hours.

2624824-IMG_9039-3.JPG (1011 downloads)
Last edited by Smite; 05/14/06 04:09 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #23015
05/14/06 05:37 PM
05/14/06 05:37 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

One thing about red and yellow paint is that in my experience they always require more coats than other paint. They are both very translucent. If I were doing either of those colours I would likely do one or two coats of white before the red or yellow coats as a base.

That seems to be the case with my car! I have just put on the 4th coat, and it's still partially see through where there is light/dark contrast color underneath. I will do the normal wetsanding every 2 coats till it's totally solid color, then do one more coat before final wetsand and polish.

It is getting redder and shinier though, it's nice to see.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #23016
05/14/06 10:13 PM
05/14/06 10:13 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

That seems to be the case with my car! I have just put on the 4th coat, and it's still partially see through where there is light/dark contrast color underneath. I will do the normal wetsanding every 2 coats till it's totally solid color, then do one more coat before final wetsand and polish.

It is getting redder and shinier though, it's nice to see.

Yep, mine's looking about the same after coat #4 (except yellow, obviously). A couple of places where I wetsanded pretty heavily have a little bit of a darker tone from the maroon original paint, but it's definitely getting there. We'll see if 6 coats do it; if not I'll go for 8.

Also learned today that the fender on my Merk is spot welded; so much for my plan to pull it off and pound out the shallow dent from the inside. Guess it's slide hammer time, unless somebody has a better idea.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23017
05/14/06 10:21 PM
05/14/06 10:21 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Same- but I was under the impression that I was putting on my coats too thin so the 4th coat I went thicker. I didn't count the first too coats I did.. but if I do count them then I did 9 coats all together.

-Serp

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23018
05/15/06 12:14 PM
05/15/06 12:14 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Another new poster here, but I've been lurking since this topic was only 8 pages long. Lurking, reading .. and waiting for the weather to cooperate.

I just rolled out the fourth coat on the trunklid of my '70 VW Fastback this morning and took some pics. I'm not going into this completely blind, I practiced on the license lite housing first. So far so good. The color I mixed myself. It's Dark Hunter Green mixed with gloss black, trying to match original color of the car. Took three tries but I got pretty darn close .. or at least close enough.

Conditions aren't ideal, I'm in the driveway, there's cats around, trees, bushes .. all kinds of crud to fall into the paint. I really, REALLY need to get the garage cleaned out.

Pic 1, overview
Pic 2, close-up
Pic 3, another close-up.

I can't get closer without pixellation .. my digicam sux.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23019
05/15/06 04:44 PM
05/15/06 04:44 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Yo guys,
I just put some of my car back together, 2 coats on the roof and 2 coats on the front fender and rear panels. My paint messed up on the doors and I had to strip it. I'm not sure what happend, the paint kept seperating from the mineral spirits. But the hood is finished, I just have to finish wetsanding and polish it. But I have a problem, when you get it into the sun it shows very small scrathes in it. Any clue how to get them out? Thanks

After wetsanding and before polish:

After polishing by hand: (those are the clouds that are reflecting)

Side shot just becuase:

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23020
05/15/06 05:09 PM
05/15/06 05:09 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

....the paint kept seperating from the mineral spirits....

Are you using 100% pure mineral spirits? Not painthinner - or low odour mineral spirits?
Did you use a solvent on the surface of the doors to remove silicon and wax?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23021
05/15/06 05:19 PM
05/15/06 05:19 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Knocked my paint down with wet 400grit. Took out a LOT of the peel, i need to go back and hit it again, then with 600...then paint. When its wet it looks 1000x better than it did before. NO peel, looks like i should be able to get the paint on a good base this time and get some results

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: paint job on a budget!? #23022
05/15/06 07:15 PM
05/15/06 07:15 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I think it is also possible to put too much mineral spirits in. That is what I did and it appeared that the paint was separating from the minerals spirits once applied. It is also possible it wasn't mixed vigorously enough before appling. So just double check that you are mixing it enough and its not being mixed way to thin. From one extreme to the other for me.

My test peice is on hold for 2 weeks until I can get back to my parents to finish it. I'm having problems with the paint not laying down flat. I get alot of bubbles when I apply it, and good huff and they are gone, but where the bubbles were it is peally. I've tried running the roller over it again lightly, but it just makes the peal smaller in texture.

Any ideas on how to get it to lay flat? is everyone getting a little peal and then just sanding it out? Also, I'm using 400 grit to get the peal out, but then there is pretty well no paint left once it is out and am back to square one. What am I doing wrong?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23023
05/15/06 07:29 PM
05/15/06 07:29 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

I think it is also possible to put too much mineral spirits in. That is what I did and it appeared that the paint was separating from the minerals spirits once applied. It is also possible it wasn't mixed vigorously enough before appling. So just double check that you are mixing it enough and its not being mixed way to thin. From one extreme to the other for me.

My test peice is on hold for 2 weeks until I can get back to my parents to finish it. I'm having problems with the paint not laying down flat. I get alot of bubbles when I apply it, and good huff and they are gone, but where the bubbles were it is peally. I've tried running the roller over it again lightly, but it just makes the peal smaller in texture.

Any ideas on how to get it to lay flat? is everyone getting a little peal and then just sanding it out? Also, I'm using 400 grit to get the peal out, but then there is pretty well no paint left once it is out and am back to square one. What am I doing wrong?

I think you're putting too much paint on. I have gotten smooth results by pushing all I can out of the roller on the roller tray, then pushing down firmly as I roll the paint on the car, which puts down very little paint. I can see in the reflection if I've wet the surface evenly.

If there's too much paint on the roller, there will be runs, bubbles, all kinds of bad things. It' s alot quicker to just unload most of the paint out of the roller, push firmly on it when applying the paint.

I got in the zone of doing it well my last coat, I would just dab the roller into the paint, push it out a few times, then use just that amount to paint a surface about 1.5" by 3" long. It goes on THIN but it will not run and it will not orange peel at that thickness.

If you are doing a test area that's laying flat, do whatever you can to put it sideways so that you get practice with the right technique. With the right technique (needed to do a car) you will care most about the surfaces on the side of the car where people can see- and if you try to put too much paint on the side, it will run and you will know you're not doing it right. Practicing on a surface where the paint can only "fall" directly towards the surface is not as beneficial because only a portion of the car is like that, and if you master the technique used to paint a door or something where the paint has to be the right thickness during application, you will be able to do flat (horizontal) surfaces easily as well.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #23024
05/15/06 08:56 PM
05/15/06 08:56 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

So you are ringing out the roller pretty well before using it, do you have to press pretty hard on the roller to get the paint to apply and come out of the roller? How about speed of rolling, does it really matter how fast? What is the purpose of sanding every 2 coats?

Sorry for all the questions; I would really like this to work.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23025
05/15/06 09:08 PM
05/15/06 09:08 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

...But I have a problem, when you get it into the sun it shows very small scrathes in it. Any clue how to get them out? Thanks

I'm afraid this is gonna be a problem that everyone is eventually gonna face...I had the same thing happen and when I asked my buddy that runs a body shop he said the problem is "there is no hardener in this enamel paint"...

Think about it...you're buffing paint that seems dry and hard but really in a microscopic level it is still a bit soft and when you buff it, you are scratching it. It's a no win situation...no final sand/buff leaves peel and trash, final sand/buff leaves micro-scratches galore...

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how to salvage my paint job since I completed the whole car before I figured out this problem!!

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #23026
05/15/06 09:18 PM
05/15/06 09:18 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

thx!Exit1965. but theres no Kelly close to la area... im going to try out Ace Hardware. also, is 100% mineral spirt necessary?

Last edited by Cal96; 05/15/06 09:25 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #23027
05/15/06 09:22 PM
05/15/06 09:22 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'm afraid this is gonna be a problem that everyone is eventually gonna face...I had the same thing happen and when I asked my buddy that runs a body shop he said the problem is "there is no hardener in this enamel paint"...

Think about it...you're buffing paint that seems dry and hard but really in a microscopic level it is still a bit soft and when you buff it, you are scratching it. It's a no win situation...no final sand/buff leaves peel and trash, final sand/buff leaves micro-scratches galore...

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how to salvage my paint job since I completed the whole car before I figured out this problem!!

^^^^^QUOTE^^^^

this isnt good news... maybe cause its black?

Last edited by Cal96; 05/15/06 09:24 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #23028
05/15/06 09:32 PM
05/15/06 09:32 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Chuck,

Do you have any pictures you can show us of the problem? It doesn't sound like others have had this problem. This is certainly an issue, and if it is the way my test will go, then it will not be acceptable for my car. Color sanding and buffing is an art, there are forums out there (I think there was a link posted a while back) dedicated alone to pollishing/special compounds and methods. I would really like to see the scratches.

Cal,
yes mineral spirits is necessary because the paint must be thinned to "self-level". If you were refering to the "100%" part then I'd say it hasn't been proven, but there is a theory that the low-odour doesn't work as well and might cause problems with hardening and weird texture issues while drying. I think Exit has run into problems? and a few others

Last edited by Smite; 05/15/06 09:41 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #23029
05/15/06 09:47 PM
05/15/06 09:47 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Chuck,

Do you have any pictures you can show us of the problem? It doesn't sound like others have had this problem. This is certainly an issue, and if it is the way my test will go, then it will not be acceptable for my car. Color sanding and buffing is an art, there are forums out there (I think there was a link posted a while back) dedicated alone to pollishing/special compounds and methods. I would really like to see the scratches...

Sorry, I don't have pictures. I've already sanded my hood all the way to the metal and the rest of the car hasn't been buffed. Black wasn't the problem 'cause mine is gloss white! It's just those typical spidery looking scratches you get on an older paint job that has been rubbed with towels, etc during it's lifetime...we've all seen it. The paint is soft, buffer puts swirl scratches in it. I think the reason we haven't heard this more is most people are just now getting to this point or they're just not that particular. I want a BC/CC type of shine...just me I guess. Chuck

Page 77 of 85 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 84 85