Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Graveyard carz, Prepaint technique. Paint explain, opinions [Re: Stanton] #2280928
04/02/17 03:11 PM
04/02/17 03:11 PM
jersey
S
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master
Spaceman Spiff  Offline
master
S

jersey
Originally Posted By Stanton
One thing GYC claim is "affordability". So if you want affordability you better have the common sense to knock your expectations of quality down a notch or two. If you look at the restoration business its pretty much saturated with shops that charge top dollar and crank out masterpieces that will seldom see the light of day. I think Mark has a niche ... he buys everything he can lay his hands on as cheap as possible so he has parts to scavenge without paying top dollar. He then cranks out "decent" restos at affordable prices. No high end trailer queens ... DRIVERS!

As I said previously, you can pick them apart all you want but ask the owner if they're happy. They're the only one's that matter!

Then why does he always claim, to be THE BEST IN THE WORLD?
Owner's see their cars with rose colored glasses. Their pre-resto cars are always in good shape, needing minor work.....
So when the owner gets their baby back, they don't see wavy panels, bad gaps, panel alignment issues, orange peel, sanding scratched etc.
But hey, their happy.

526 cubes of angry wedge, pushbutton shifted, 9 passenger killer!
Re: Graveyard carz, Prepaint technique. Paint explain, opinions [Re: Stanton] #2280930
04/02/17 03:12 PM
04/02/17 03:12 PM
jersey
S
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master
Spaceman Spiff  Offline
master
S

jersey
Originally Posted By Stanton
Quote:
I just don't get his "Attitude" where he thinks ONLY he can build these cars back to OE ?!?!?! What has everyone else in the hobby been doing ??? So sick of all these edited tv shows with made for tv "Drama" about getting things done on time, etc . . . the only thing GYC is good for, is showing Mopars (in my mind) . . .

You just don't get it do you ?!? After all these years of reality shows you still don't get that "attitude" and "drama" are what sells. No attitude or drama ... just go post your snoring "how-to" videos on YouTube. Seriously, if you want to learn how to do something, YouTube is your friend. If you want entertainment you watch reality shows, but you sure as hell won't learn anything.

Wheeler Dealers is a top rated automotive show. and their is ZERO attitude or drama.

526 cubes of angry wedge, pushbutton shifted, 9 passenger killer!
Re: Graveyard carz, Prepaint technique. Paint explain, opinions [Re: Spaceman Spiff] #2281072
04/02/17 07:18 PM
04/02/17 07:18 PM
C
cmansell Offline
mopar
cmansell  Offline
mopar
C

Maybe cheaper to use ss but when r6 concept is 1400 a gallon I didn't feel like I was being frugal.

Re: Graveyard carz, Prepaint technique. Paint explain, opinions [Re: modelmakerinc] #2281412
04/03/17 10:51 AM
04/03/17 10:51 AM
Michigan
C
crlush Offline
pro stock
crlush  Offline
pro stock
C

Michigan
The only reason they would use single stage is to cut down on time and prep work. I painted all of my car with base clear, basecoat and cleared the engine compartment first, basecoat and cleared the jambs and undersides of all panels, basecoated the outsides of panels and body, then assembled all panels on the car, back taped all the jams then basecoatef the outside of car from fender to the end of quarter panel rather than panel painting, then shot 5 coats of clear. I painted the car in my garage and the total process took me 4 days and that was working probably 16 hr days, one of the days I spent almost 8 hrs just back taping the jambs so the wouldnt be any tape lines, it was a ton of work to get it done (so much that I havent painted another car in more than 5 yrs) but the end result came out great, out of the few big shows I have taken it to be judged I have won at almost all of them but my most proud award was a best show for paint. I guess what im getting to is to make money doing restoration work affordably its cuts alot of time using single stage the way they do and im sure it looks fine, im not sure about the reputation of GYC but it looks like they do a pretty nice job to me.

Last edited by crlush; 04/03/17 11:04 AM.
Re: Graveyard carz, Prepaint technique. Paint explain, opinions [Re: crlush] #2281554
04/03/17 02:25 PM
04/03/17 02:25 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By crlush
The only reason they would use single stage is to cut down on time and prep work.

If your taking the time to "jamb" the vehicle before a full outer body shoot in BC/CC, it's just a few passes with CC after you've shot base on the jambs, again shooting SINGLE STAGE in the JAMBS, then BC/CC'ing the outer body falls back to an old practice of cheaping out on materials, it's been done for the last few decades since BC/CC made the scene that it's now taken as the norm in "restorations", I even had an individual tell me once "that's how the factory did it"...and I'm sure GYC thoughts on the matter share the same ignorance...

If GYC was truly "restoring" these cars to OEM, it would be SINGLE STAGE thru out the entire vehicle top to bottom, inside/out

FYI, If you were a painter "back in the day", when you bought a gallon of straight/single stage paint, you got a gallon, when BC/CC made the scene, a "gallon" was actually 1/2 a gallon of paint, you then bought a gallon of Base Maker to add a 1/2" gallon of it to make a true gallon of paint, plus now you had to buy a gallon of clear, the price comparison was double if not triple, so guys started jambing vehicles in single stage, and BC/CC'ing just the outer body to save a buck from buying more paint...now the frugal trend has been labeled "pre painting" to justify shoddy work and jewing the costs

Re: Graveyard carz, Prepaint technique. Paint explain, opinions [Re: DAYCLONA] #2281596
04/03/17 03:02 PM
04/03/17 03:02 PM
Eau Claire, WI
Charger727 Offline
super stock
Charger727  Offline
super stock

Eau Claire, WI

Here are some details from the painter on the show -

https://www.velocity.com/tv-shows/graveyard-carz/videos/pre-painting-the-gtx

Re: Graveyard carz, Prepaint technique. Paint explain, opinions [Re: modelmakerinc] #2281612
04/03/17 03:28 PM
04/03/17 03:28 PM
Detroit Michigan
stinger Offline
mopar
stinger  Offline
mopar

Detroit Michigan
I didn't hear anything about ss in that vid. Seems legit to me.

Re: Graveyard carz, Prepaint technique. Paint explain, opinions [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #2281687
04/03/17 03:59 PM
04/03/17 03:59 PM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
Seems like a lot of painters like to paint cars "thier way" (which of course is always the best way) LOL! Whats wrong with using the factory procedure? Seems that everyone wants to fight the tried and true factory method of painting with all of the panels gapped and adjusted before paint, etc.

I've thought that for years. laugh2

When the cars were built, the body was assembled then primered then painted.

These days everyone thinks that you paint every panel off the car to make sure that they're perfect from every direction then you bolt them on the car.

Does it make the car perfect/nicer?
Yes, absolutely.

But it wasn't that way when it was built new so is what you have done technically a restoration? laugh2

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: Graveyard carz, Prepaint technique. Paint explain, opinions [Re: modelmakerinc] #2281779
04/03/17 07:13 PM
04/03/17 07:13 PM
west palm beach, florida
modelmakerinc Offline OP
top fuel
modelmakerinc  Offline OP
top fuel

west palm beach, florida
CHARGER 727 thanks for that link, it explains their process of "prepaint" to me and seems unlike several people here it does not have anything with being cheap or cutting corners.

Seems that when it is a metallic, it gets BC CC, solid colors are SS. prepaint is painting the car in pieces then assemble, address any flaws and let the paint and primers shrink down, settle in., then a final block and paint the entire car to get the metallics to lay even and consistant.

Don't seem cheaper to me sounds like they use more paint. I would guess he uses a panel blender prior to the final color to bite into the clear sanded prepaint

Exceptional Architectural, Yacht and Automotive scale models. e-mail modelmakerinc@att.net for a portfolio review. www.modelmakerinc.com
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3