03/14/06 02:09 PM
03/14/06 02:09 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I don't think the body shops/detailers use high RPM polishers. I believe most are <4K RPM. The compound/pad/pressure are the main issues.

Like you said - the higher speed is just waiting to burn through something - usually when you think you are going along just fine! I have first hand knowledge of this phenomena.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22171
03/14/06 03:42 PM
03/14/06 03:42 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

I don't think the body shops/detailers use high RPM polishers. I believe most are <4K RPM. The compound/pad/pressure are the main issues.

Like you said - the higher speed is just waiting to burn through something - usually when you think you are going along just fine! I have first hand knowledge of this phenomena.

i agree, espically when polishing new paint. also random orbit polishers are much better at delivering a more uniform polish because they spin and orbit in a oval at the same time, basically giving you less swirl marks and a better finish. I've tried alot of compounds when polishing paint, and out of them all, the el-cheap-o turtle wax polishing compound worked the best, but it did take time. the down side is time, the upside is that it works, and there is virtually no chance of burning the paint. i would equate the rubbing compound to 600grit paper, and the polishing compound to 2000+ grit paper. some compounds are rated according to grit, or their equivelent, no matter how much you buff with rubbing compound it will still be dull, try polishing paint with 600 grit paper wet and let me know how it works out!! i'd bet it won't. if you think about it, you know how long it takes to wetsand with 2000grit paper when compared to 600, that is why the polishing compound takes time to see results. but it's easy work, basically just stand there and let the polisher do the work, for the sides i reccommend a chair/stool!!!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22172
03/14/06 09:59 PM
03/14/06 09:59 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Project Beer Fridge Part 5:

Stripes are on, a final sanding and buff are next on the list, but I thought I'd post a few pictures of the progress.

2475558-DCP_1865.jpg (2764 downloads)
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22173
03/14/06 10:01 PM
03/14/06 10:01 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Pre-sanding but I'm happy with the look - "Old School"

2475563-pre-sanding.jpg (2307 downloads)
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22174
03/14/06 10:02 PM
03/14/06 10:02 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

A side by side comparison; before and after.

2475568-compare.jpg (3060 downloads)
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22175
03/14/06 10:04 PM
03/14/06 10:04 PM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
it will cost as much as the paint, but I buff with 3M PerfectIT..stuff is magical...lol.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22176
03/14/06 10:21 PM
03/14/06 10:21 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

A side by side comparison; before and after.

Looks great for a fridge! Now do a car

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22177
03/14/06 11:08 PM
03/14/06 11:08 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Looks great for a fridge! Now do a car

gotta be honest with you, even though I managed to learn quite a bit with this technique, I'm not sure I'm convinvced... yet. Fortunately, I still have lots of other work to do on the car before I'm ready for paint. I did the beer fridge with the "consumer" grade Rustoleum, and haven't tried the "Professional" grade yet although I don't expect it to perform much differently. I'm real curious to see how the paint performs once it's had a chance to harden properly, a month or two perhaps. Right now, it feels quite soft and I have no doubt that if I tried I could dig up some paint with a fingernail. Having never painted a car before, I honestly don't know if that could be expected of a "traditional" spray job or not. In the mean time, I got eyes on my riding mower, which sits out in the Florida sun 24/7/365. It'll go a long way in convincing me to see if this paint can stand up on the mower after a few months of abuse.

EDIT: THE FINAL COAT IS NOW ONE WEEK OLD AND I GAVE IT THE "FINGERNAIL" TEST. PASSED WITH FLYING COLORS, COULDN'T EVEN MAKE A DENT IN IT.

Last edited by Ricklandia; 03/15/06 11:33 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22178
03/15/06 01:20 AM
03/15/06 01:20 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I'm doing some (more) experimenting with the professional now. So far I've only done one coat, but it's OK so far. Here is a picture of the surface wiped down with mineral spirits. It's not perfect, but I didn't want it to be perfect since my car isn't perfect either.

the surface was shaped with 80 grit on a long board (and a short block in some areas) followed by 180 on a long board or a block. There were visible sanding scratches so we'll also get to see how well this paint process hides them.

edited- changed picture to better shot of surface.

Last edited by Exit1965; 03/15/06 01:28 AM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22179
03/15/06 01:23 AM
03/15/06 01:23 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
And here it is after the first coat. There were a couple runs a few minutes later (I completely forgot to do the once-over a few minutes after finishing, and I probably laid it on too thick in some places). There were bubbles during application, but they all popped on their own or when I rolled over them lightly.

I think my policy will be to wetsand out any runs before doing any more coats. So tomorrow morning I'll sand the surface with 600 grit and water, then apply another coat tomorrow night.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22180
03/15/06 03:16 PM
03/15/06 03:16 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I am glad I'm painting my mini stock for practice. I can see how good this would be if you take time to play with the mix. Time stamp on pic is wrong. I took the pic this morning
Kevin

2477343-accord2.JPG (1663 downloads)
Last edited by kevmet500; 03/15/06 03:20 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22181
03/15/06 09:03 PM
03/15/06 09:03 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I've been reading this thread like many others and have been a reader of moparts for years (I have a '70 Challenger R/T). I tried doing this on my Datsun 240Z and so far have enjoyed the results. The paint goes on nice and easy and looks good (I have 6 coats of white so far).

I have noticed on some sections of the car that have 6 total coats and about 2 weeks of drying time that if I dig my nail in, it will scrape right off down to the primer below it. In reading this thread, it sounds like only one other person has that problem, and no solution

Asking the paint guys at Home Depot (whatever that is worth), they told me that Rustoleum isn't made to stick to a urethane based primer, which is what I believe was on my car prior to the painting...

Any insight on how to make this paint harder?

-Mike

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22182
03/15/06 11:45 PM
03/15/06 11:45 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I have noticed on some sections of the car that have 6 total coats and about 2 weeks of drying time that if I dig my nail in, it will scrape right off down to the primer below it. In reading this thread, it sounds like only one other person has that problem, and no solution

Asking the paint guys at Home Depot (whatever that is worth), they told me that Rustoleum isn't made to stick to a urethane based primer, which is what I believe was on my car prior to the painting...

-Mike

It might not be a question of making the paint harder, but of it's ability to adhere to the primer you had on the car. Can you give more details on how you prepped the primer coat before beginning the first coat of paint? Can you get some close-up photos of the scratch test? I gave the "Beer Fridge Project" the fingernail test tonight after one week dry and it's hard as nails (no pun intended). I cant tell you what type of paint the original coat was on the fridge, anyone want to venture a guess what kind of paint they typically use on appliances?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22183
03/16/06 12:08 AM
03/16/06 12:08 AM
Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
GTSDave Offline
master
GTSDave  Offline
master

Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
Just a note guys,

I have tried many different wipes and paint preps over the years. I have spent good money on some only to have very bad paint adhesion problems. You would be amazed at how just one little step can cause so many problems. I have seen regular old lacquer primer absorb water. So if you are washing down with soap and water before applying your paint, you are probably going to see some adhesion problems.

For me the cure was to wipe down my surfaces with lacquer thinner just before painting. It seems to get off all the nasty stuff that accumulates during the body work. You must let it evaporate before applying the paint, but for me it always made my paint and or primer stick better. I use the cheap stuff from AutoZone. Usually under $10 a gallon.

Be careful when you use it on cheap lacquer primer though because it will remove your primer. I usually use a lint free cloth (Like an old T-shirt) and WEAR GLOVES!! A fan blowing on the surface will help it evaporate quicker.

I have spent many dollars setting up my garage to spray my cars in, so I haven't used the roller method. But if you are having adhesion problems, chances are your surface prep needs to be addressed. I’ll bet the mineral spirits are also evaporating very slowly, causing your soft paint issues. I have used lacquer thinner to thin enamel before and it worked well. Using a roller though and thinning with lacquer thinner will probably eat your roller. If anyone experimenting would be willing to try it, I would be curious if using a little fast evaporating lacquer thinner would help with the soft paint issues.

-Dave

PLEASE Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way.

If you are the owner of a GTS us at the GTS Registry www.gtsregistry.com
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22184
03/16/06 01:45 AM
03/16/06 01:45 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

I've been reading this thread like many others and have been a reader of moparts for years (I have a '70 Challenger R/T). I tried doing this on my Datsun 240Z and so far have enjoyed the results. The paint goes on nice and easy and looks good (I have 6 coats of white so far).

-Mike

Sorry to hear you're having the same issue. I am not sure what causes it, probably a mix of surface and the paint hardness. Your nail had to bust through the paint enough to scrape at the surface; but maybe the layers above have a tendency to lift the layers below when the higher layers are scratched if the base layers aren't adhering right.

In any case, on the Professional rustoleum test area I did, I can not scratch it to the surface at this point (probably 3.5 weeks after last coat). I could for the first week or so, then not. The professional stuff is supposed to dry faster. So in your case, you might want to wait longer than 2 weeks before doing any more scratching.

It's a month+ after I finished up my standard rustoleum area, and I can still scratch the paint off, but my surface prep wasn't good. The paint sure is shiny though.

Anyways I'm doing another Professional rustoleum (at Lowes) test area now, on an area comparable to where I did the standard stuff. I should have results by Sunday, and I'm hoping for as nice of a shine as I got with the standard stuff but with a tougher (or at least, quicker drying) surface.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22185
03/16/06 09:59 AM
03/16/06 09:59 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I think GTSDAVE's advice on surface prep is sound, but I would be hesitant to thin with laquer thinner simply because it's not the recommended thinner from the manufacturer. Gotta defer to the Rustoleum chemists IMHO.
I'm convinced at this point that the troubles folks are having are not a "hardness" problem, rather an adherence problem. My dilution ratio was significantly higher than the average (~45%), so you would think that it would take significantly longer for my paint to dry, yet it's hard as stone after only one week - unscratchable. I might be wrong here, but I think those having trouble started with a primer base. Did the primer coat folks sand down the primer coat before starting, or just wipe down with cleaner before starting? Maybe a primer coat alone isn't rough enough for the paint grip/adhere? Bare/clean metal painters, are you having problems? I know with products like POR15, a metal prep/etcher is needed, something to "rough up" the metal enough to give the POR/paint something to grab onto. Hope this helps.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22186
03/16/06 10:14 AM
03/16/06 10:14 AM
Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
GTSDave Offline
master
GTSDave  Offline
master

Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
Ricklandia,

I was thinking if somone has a little paint left and some quick drying laquer thinner they could give it a test try. I haven't bought any of this paint so I dont have any laying around.

I know a good wipe down with the thinner will ensure a clean surface for the paint to stick too.

-Dave

PLEASE Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way.

If you are the owner of a GTS us at the GTS Registry www.gtsregistry.com
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22187
03/16/06 11:43 AM
03/16/06 11:43 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

I think GTSDAVE's advice on surface prep is sound, but I would be hesitant to thin with laquer thinner simply because it's not the recommended thinner from the manufacturer. Gotta defer to the Rustoleum chemists IMHO.
I'm convinced at this point that the troubles folks are having are not a "hardness" problem, rather an adherence problem. My dilution ratio was significantly higher than the average (~45%), so you would think that it would take significantly longer for my paint to dry, yet it's hard as stone after only one week - unscratchable. I might be wrong here, but I think those having trouble started with a primer base. Did the primer coat folks sand down the primer coat before starting, or just wipe down with cleaner before starting? Maybe a primer coat alone isn't rough enough for the paint grip/adhere? Bare/clean metal painters, are you having problems? I know with products like POR15, a metal prep/etcher is needed, something to "rough up" the metal enough to give the POR/paint something to grab onto. Hope this helps.

i totally agree. use mineral spirits, NOT laquir thinner with the rust paint, it is mineral spirits based and NEEDS to be thinned with mineral spirits. let's keep one thing in mind here, the mineral spirits mixed with the paint allows for a thinner layer of paint to be applied, that will actually dry faster then straight paint in a thick layer. the mineral spirits increase the pot life, and tack life of the paint and don't really effect the overall drying time. after 6-8 hours, even if you thinned with mineral spirits at 80%, the paint will "flash" and dry. the solvent (in this case being mineral spirits) evaporates from the paint in 6-8 hours, from then on it is the paint that dries, very little of the "flashing" occurs after that time, then it is the paint that actually dries, and that is a constant. remember your not comparing apples with apples here, how hard the paint dries in the end is soley based on the paint it self. on the other hand, when you paint using a enamel that uses a hardner, the hardner causes a chemical reaction with the paint that forces it to flash faster. it's like body filler, eventually straight filler will harden, but the hardner speeds this process. i think all the adhesion issues and scratch tests are related to surface prep, i allways sand with no more than 600grit when prepping a surface to get the paint to adhere. then you have to also clean the surface. even though you sand, you don't remove all surface contaminents, if there is wax for example on the paint, sanding will not totally remove it. i'm sure that if you prep properlly with the right paper, and don't go too fine with the prep, and you really clean the surface well with mineral spirits there should be no issues with adhesion. we can see some members have issues and others do not, the paint is the same, and the only varaible is surface prep, regardless of the ratio of mineral spirits. as a test, if you really feel it necessary, if you paint with straight paint, and paint thinned with mineral spirits at 50%, assuming you could get the same thickness in layers of paint, i'd bet they would dry roughly at the same rate after the first hour. if you soak a rag with mineral spirits, and whipe the car down, the mineral spirits will evoperate completely in about 10 mins. same happens in the paint. then mineral spirits slightly increases the initial drying time, allows you to work with thinner paint strictly due to the thinner viscosity of the paint, and allows the paint to "self-level" better then just straight paint. rant out

P.S. - EXIT1965- quit painting test areas and paint that damm car allready!!!!! next pic i want to see is a done car!!!! lol

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22188
03/16/06 12:33 PM
03/16/06 12:33 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

The car was primered with what I beleive is a urethane primer (typical grey, nice and smooth, not rattle can).

Prioer to painting, I did some bondo work on a few areas I wanted to smooth out and I tossed a little rattlecan primer on top of that. Once everything was dry, I first sanded it all with 150 and then followed it with 320 grit, I washed the entire car down with simple green and used a brush to scrub everything, then I let it dry and wiped it all down with a rag and mineral spirits. I waited a few hours to make sure everything was dry and I started rolling on the paint...

That was the extent of my surface prep. Maybe the paint made for California is different?

I do have some spots on my hood that I had to sand down to bare metal, so I'll check that out once I finish painting the hood to see if it sticks better there.

I'll take some pictures of the scratches but they look exactly like Exit1965's.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22189
03/16/06 12:55 PM
03/16/06 12:55 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
The more I read this strng the more I am coninced that although the results for some of you are good. It is starting to look to me that if your time is worth anything at all you would be ahead of the game by spraying a little more expensive paint and being done with it.

Page 35 of 85 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 84 85