near Harrisburg, Pa
440trk Offline
master
440trk  Offline
master

near Harrisburg, Pa
Quote:

Remedy:
Thin the product 10% with mineral spirits to aid application and slow down the dry time to promote good self-leveling, apply the product during cooler parts of the day such as early morning or late afternoon.

If I am reading this correctly...mineral spirits SLOW DOWN the dry time. Is it possible that Exit1965 (and others) may be using a little TOO much mineral spirit, and thereby causing the excessive dry time?

I've been following this thread since day one or two...and I'm looking forward to experimenting on my plow truck this spring!!

thanks to all involved!

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 440trk] #22031
03/02/06 11:32 PM
03/02/06 11:32 PM
New Kent, Virginia
M
matts69Dart Offline
enthusiast
matts69Dart  Offline
enthusiast
M

New Kent, Virginia
Hey all, I have been following this thread since day one and am anxious to try it out on my Dart. Just waiting for the weather to decide if it is going to be cold or hot. I think I may have found another paint to throw into the pot. While at Lowes, I found a marine-grade rustoleum paint for metal. The color assortment is not real great, but does have the color I am interested in. My question is do you think the marine-grade might be a bit heavier duty due to the elements of salt water and sunlight? I am going to try it when the weather breaks. Opinions? Matt

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22032
03/02/06 11:34 PM
03/02/06 11:34 PM
N
noisydart Offline
super gas
noisydart  Offline
super gas
N

69 Chargeryeehaw- another pat on the back! I actuallly was the one that
5 starred this post originally because I saw the potential. Haven't played with it yet as I'm busy getting a Dart mechanically ready for Vegas, but I will be trying it on a white 68 Barracuda.
I have sprayed before, but this is tuff to do now in the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: noisydart] #22033
03/03/06 12:51 AM
03/03/06 12:51 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Excellent post charger69, I registered due to the information within this post. I don't have a Mopar but, I do find this method of painting interesting and I am going to give it a try on my mini stock race car. I will be using a product called wash and wipe to clean the car and self etching primer. I know it says on the can not required but, I don't want any probs with adhearing to the metal. I will keep you guys posted on the progress. Oh almost forgot, I used tremclad spray bomb on the inside of the car with no issues, and I used wash and wipe on everything. It gets rid of any oils or other contaminants.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22034
03/03/06 12:52 AM
03/03/06 12:52 AM
Great Lakes State
O
ONEBADBIRD Offline
mopar
ONEBADBIRD  Offline
mopar
O

Great Lakes State

"i'm lost, i never discussed rattle can paintjobs."

Hey 69 charger I owe you an apology. I know that you never mentioned the use of a rattle can in your Beautiful paint jobs. I just got carried away from reading other fellas post. How they mentioned the possibilities of maybe using them for all the nooks and crannies on the car. I may try it and I may not who knows. I do know I'm sold on this whole idea of what this thread is about. I'm just excited and can't wait to start getting a feel for this painting technique and putting some color down. I think this post will be just crammed full of pictures when the weather turns to spring and we get some decent outside weather. Thats whats holding me back as I think others too. I know you have said you painted in the cold before but my garage is pack full for the winter and I would rather wetsand outide on the driveway rather than indoors. Anyways my hats off to you "O'Wise One" (69charger) did not mean to put words in your mouth I was just getting excited and carried away. Till next time Jay.

Fair winds, and following seas! Red sky at night sailor's delight, red sky in morning sailor take warning! Weather from the West is always best! Weather from the East is not fit for man nor beast!
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: ONEBADBIRD] #22035
03/03/06 04:45 PM
03/03/06 04:45 PM
Columbus
Q5RR Offline
Q5RR  Offline

Columbus
Great thread! I've been following since week two. This shows the true spirit of hot rodding which is often lost in the high dollar restorations. This method could put my car back on the street months ahead of time. Thank you and keep the updates coming!

I will try this on my 69RR within the next month or so - after some minor rust repair and prep - and post my progress. My concern is being able to get close to the Q5 Seafoam Turquoise color. It will never be a points car so it doesn't have to be perfect, but the closer the better.

As far as I can tell, the Rustoleum in the US can't tinted, but if I drive up to Windsor, I should be able to pick up some Tremclad which can be matched to my paint sample. Am I right ? Any suggestions?

1969 Road Runner, Q5 Seafoam Turquoise Metallic, M6S(pewter, GTX type) interior. Currently has a 440 with 727 transmission. Numbers matching 383 is now being stored. Looking for a 400 or another 383, located near Columbus, to build in its place.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Q5RR] #22036
03/03/06 06:54 PM
03/03/06 06:54 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Did this thread get censored or what there are some posts missing?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: MoparforLife] #22037
03/03/06 07:13 PM
03/03/06 07:13 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
What was missing?

As far as seafoam green, you can probably mix the color yourself with a can of green and a can of blue..

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22038
03/03/06 07:31 PM
03/03/06 07:31 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
There were several posts towards the end complementing 69chargeryeehaa for all the insight and time spent on this string.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: MoparforLife] #22039
03/03/06 08:50 PM
03/03/06 08:50 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Quote:

There were several posts towards the end complementing 69chargeryeehaa for all the insight and time spent on this string.

i don't want to and start another , but basically there was a that thought he was close to , anyways things got even more , one of the moderators what was happening while and he was all like , next thing i know the posts were , anyways there was lots of but we all and we all went out for a and had a fat , one big happy family again

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22040
03/03/06 09:02 PM
03/03/06 09:02 PM
Diego-Town, CA
Diego_Ted Offline
master
Diego_Ted  Offline
master

Diego-Town, CA

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Texican] #22041
03/03/06 09:52 PM
03/03/06 09:52 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey. I didn't forget to post pictures, just that I,my son needs to find the CD that lets us post the pics. If we can't find it here at home, I will send from work on Monday. By the way, I did try the fingernail test. No problem. I should say here how I prepared the Plymouth. It is a 39 that I stripped to bare steel and or original paint. I sanded, filled and sprayed with ACE bomb primer. The car has sat for over 8 months with this finish. I think that this length of time has let the laquer cure, so no outgassing is occuring. I also have found a great way to 'spray' this thinned down paint for door jambs etc. It is a product called Preval. It cost about $11.00 for the kit. It will spray 16 oz. with one cannister. Works great. Anyway, I am trying my best to get my pics. on the site. Thanks. P.S. I am using Granite for my color. It is a lite green/grey color. Thanks.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22042
03/03/06 09:58 PM
03/03/06 09:58 PM
Canada
Kam*Kuda Offline
master
Kam*Kuda  Offline
master

Canada
Quote:

i don't want to and start another , but basically there was a that thought he was close to , anyways things got even more , one of the moderators what was happening while and he was all like , next thing i know the posts were , anyways there was lots of but we all and we all went out for a and had a fat , one big happy family again

Funny ian

1970 Barracuda Convertible
1968 Satellite Street Strip car
1654.5 Mustang
1955 Land Rover
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22043
03/03/06 10:31 PM
03/03/06 10:31 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I meant those that were at the end of teh thread this morning complimenting you. Not the ones that were cut in the middle of teh thread. Or was something that we said treading thin ice on these also about thanking you for persevering and giving an low buck alternative to high dollar paint jobs. And that I also am glad for your post and am going to give it a shot when the weather permits. I don't know why this should PO anyone it is no different than all the threads on mechanical short cuts and money saving tips taking away from the mechanics and parts sellers.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Kam*Kuda] #22044
03/04/06 06:50 PM
03/04/06 06:50 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

A question for the paint guys: I happened to be near a Home Depot across town and thought I'd stop in and see what they had any of the Rustoleum Professional paints as the local Lowes and Home Depot only had a very limited color selection. My wife spotted 2 gallons of the tintable base professional hidden behind the rest on the bottom shelf (irony?) so I snapped em up. At this point, now that I have a choice of color, I'm not sure what color I want but at least I have the base paint so I figure I can tint it when I decide. The question I have is, does this need to be tinted with any special-Rustoleum tints, or can anyone tint it? I have a Benjamin Moore store right around the corner, or do I need to go back to the Home Depot to get a Rustoleum tint? Did any of the folks who taked to Rustoleum ask about the tinting?

While I was at it, I got a small quart size of the Sunrise Red to experiemnt with on the garage beer fridge, even got a smaller 1/2 pint size of gloss black for some beer fridge racing stripes I figure the fridge looks bad as it is, I can't make it look worse, or if I do who cares!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22045
03/04/06 09:39 PM
03/04/06 09:39 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

A question for the paint guys: I happened to be near a Home Depot across town and thought I'd stop in and see what they had any of the Rustoleum Professional paints as the local Lowes and Home Depot only had a very limited color selection. My wife spotted 2 gallons of the tintable base professional hidden behind the rest on the bottom shelf (irony?) so I snapped em up. At this point, now that I have a choice of color, I'm not sure what color I want but at least I have the base paint so I figure I can tint it when I decide. The question I have is, does this need to be tinted with any special-Rustoleum tints, or can anyone tint it? I have a Benjamin Moore store right around the corner, or do I need to go back to the Home Depot to get a Rustoleum tint? Did any of the folks who taked to Rustoleum ask about the tinting?

While I was at it, I got a small quart size of the Sunrise Red to experiemnt with on the garage beer fridge, even got a smaller 1/2 pint size of gloss black for some beer fridge racing stripes I figure the fridge looks bad as it is, I can't make it look worse, or if I do who cares!

off the rustoleum site:

Tips for enamels
These brilliantly colored enamels can give you a high-gloss look or a clean, matte color. You can blend colors to achieve a wide range of hues-and add up to eight ounces of universal colorants per gallon for even more color tints.

that should answer your question lol good luck, take some pics of the fridge, hope it does'nt look better then your ride or you'll be posting a new post titled "anyone put a hemi in a beer fridge???

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22046
03/05/06 12:04 AM
03/05/06 12:04 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

My wife spotted 2 gallons of the tintable base professional hidden behind the rest on the bottom shelf (irony?) so I snapped em up...

It's not often I need to quote myself, but in this case I do. Hopefully this might clear things up a bit as I was mistaken in my excitement of finding a base tint on the shelf. I did, in fact, find a basecoat: Rustoleum INDUSTRIAL (not Professional as I had thought) ENAMAL 7307 Masstone Tint Base, to be exact. I went searching on Rustleum's website but could not find it. What I did find was the 7400 series INDUSTRIAL ENAMAL, and as best I can tell, it's the same paint (or at least the latest version of same). As for tinting, the site does say this:

"Rust-Oleum Industrial Enamel Tint Base High Gloss Finishes are general purpose, modified alkyd tint bases designed for interior and exterior surfaces. They have excellent resistance to general weathering, mild chemical fumes and light abrasion.

These tint bases are designed to be used with Rust-Oleum Tint System 2020 Series Colorants only. The product is intended for application only after the addition of a colorant."

So... the good news is it appears to be an alkyd enamal (modified) paint, which if I have ready the thread right, is closest to what Tremclad is. The big unknown is whether or not the Home Depot has this "Rust-Oleum Tint System 2020 Series Colorants" on site. One would THINK they would, since they carry the paint. But I'm not holding my breath on that. Unfortunately my experience with these big home improvement chain stores is that thier personnel seem to range from excellent to oblivious. Guess I'll just have to hold onto my reciept on this one till I get someone who knows what they're talking about.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22047
03/05/06 01:09 AM
03/05/06 01:09 AM
Kansas
D
dalbers Offline
dalbers  Offline
D

Kansas
How long do you wait between coats? Just sanded an old hood and am getting ready for coat number 1.
Registered because I saw this on another forum and it looks really promising.
David

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22048
03/05/06 02:20 AM
03/05/06 02:20 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Rick - you might try to find a Kelly Moore in your area (if they are even in Florida, I don't know) but out here in Sacramento, there is one Kelly Moore which carries those industrial Rustoleum products. I am sure they would have the tint you need, so you might try to find a KM in your area (or check the rustoleum industrial site to find out where to buy in FL).

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22049
03/05/06 04:35 PM
03/05/06 04:35 PM
Michigan
G
GoDartGo Offline
pro stock
GoDartGo  Offline
pro stock
G

Michigan
Okay my turn.....
I've read this whole thread and I either missed or didn't see anything about a Viscosity Cup.
This would help with the mixing by timing how fast your mix goes threw the cup. Then you will be able to get it the same every time and that will help in the drying time too.

sounds as if getting the air out via vacuume makes for a better seal and stonger bond. I'm learning so much here LOL.

After the Mods save this thread and lock it, can they up date it with any result from members who
want to ad new findings that will help?
I want to try some different things I've read here
but it won't be until this summer.

BIG MOPARTS KUDOS to all you guys who are trying this and to
69Charger for letting us in on this.

Now if it works on my Dart Sport, I have my eye on the gold 71 Scamp survivor in my garage.........just kidding.

Shawn

Page 28 of 85 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 84 85