11/01/16 11:21 PM
11/01/16 11:21 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I drove the 96 Dakota into the garage. I replaced broken gas tank straps, and replaced the rear brake line. I've checked to be sure in didn't disconnect any wires or mess anything else up. Now the motor will not crank over by the key. I can jump the starter wires with the key on, and it cranks and runs. I'm getting power through the ignition switch to the yellow wire, but nothing at the starter relay.

I'm assuming there is a switch on the clutch pedal that is not working, and I'm not sure if there is a reverse shifter switch or not (its a 5 speed)

So, where is that clutch switch located, and how do I get access to it? There appears to be a switch of some kind riding on the clutch rod going from the pedal through the floor, it has 2 black wires attached that have been cut. That switch just floats up and down on the rod, it looks like there may have been an attaching point that is broken off flush with the top of the switch. Is that suppose to be the switch I'm looking for? If so, what colors would the harness wires be that someone may have already cobbled together?

Help me keep from just installing a starter button. Gene

Re: 96 Dakota-Where is the clutch pedal switch? [Re: poorboy] #2189042
11/03/16 10:17 PM
11/03/16 10:17 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
That's your clutch switch right there where you're looking. You said the wires are cut, and the switch is gone? Fix that and your clutch safety will work again.

Redneck, unsafe fix to get you running in a pinch, is to trust those 2 wires together

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: 96 Dakota-Where is the clutch pedal switch? [Re: poorboy] #2189780
11/04/16 11:45 PM
11/04/16 11:45 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA

OK, I got the thing going. I found the pigtail plug in for the switch in the wiring harness, and pulled it out a little so I could cut it and splice the wires together. To my surprise, the connector with 2 yellow wires was looped together! One wire, was attached to both terminals on the plug. The wires were twisted together, and were taped into the harness! The original clutch pedal switch may have been plugged into the terminal, but the terminal was looped back to itself and only attached to the wiring harness by electrical tape! That was fun....

So my issue was, someone added their own "safety device". The yellow wire in the harness was cut, and had a white wire connected to one end, and a purple wire connected to the other end. Both the white and the purple wires were attached to a connector screwed to the bottom of the dash. The problem was, nothing was connected to that connector. After I repaired the brake line and fuel tank straps, I did a major vacuum job inside the truck. That vacuuming effort must have dislodged a wire that was in that connector and I probably vacuumed it up with all the other junk that was on the floor. I cut the added wires off and reconnected the yellow wire back together, and the truck now starts like it should. Gene