master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
Quote:

Just couldn't resist could ya?

Thought you might like it.

Last edited by Dave Watt; 02/04/09 05:59 PM.
Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: Dave Watt] #213552
02/04/09 08:47 PM
02/04/09 08:47 PM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
The thing about this website is that it's like a big family. There will be personality conflicts, misunderstandings , tempers flaring and even some disciplining needs to occur once in a while ....and most every family has one kid who is "off" a little . It takes all kinds to make the world go around. If there were no opposite opinions to discuss, there would be no progress. In the end we are still part of the same family and it's not a bad family. Even the bad kids have good moments and can shine if given a chance. There's way more good stuff that goes on here. I don't see any reason not to post something because of being worried about nitpicking. The most knowledgeable people will also tell you that you can learn something new everyday . It's all good! You can always skip a post if it does not seem to be going in the direction you want it to. It's kind of like changing the channel if you don't like the song but you come back to the same channel because they mostly play the songs you like!

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: RoadRunnerJD] #213553
02/04/09 09:29 PM
02/04/09 09:29 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline OP
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline OP
super stock
P

INDIANA
Quote:

The thing about this website is that it's like a big family. There will be personality conflicts, misunderstandings , tempers flaring and even some disciplining needs to occur once in a while ....and most every family has one kid who is "off" a little . It takes all kinds to make the world go around. If there were no opposite opinions to discuss, there would be no progress. In the end we are still part of the same family and it's not a bad family. Even the bad kids have good moments and can shine if given a chance. There's way more good stuff that goes on here. I don't see any reason not to post something because of being worried about nitpicking. The most knowledgeable people will also tell you that you can learn something new everyday . It's all good! You can always skip a post if it does not seem to be going in the direction you want it to. It's kind of like changing the channel if you don't like the song but you come back to the same channel because they mostly play the songs you like!

YEP! Me and Jim (Rhinodart) have argued passionately over A body stuff (though I shouldnt argue with HIM on that subject), nonetheless at the end of the day we are still great friends!

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: Paul Jacobs] #213554
02/04/09 09:52 PM
02/04/09 09:52 PM
Myrtle Beach, SC formerly the ...
340wedge Offline
master
340wedge  Offline
master

Myrtle Beach, SC formerly the ...
You are so right...I mean how sad is it that a thread had to get locked over a fuel filter! ..

1971 Sassy Grass Green Duster 340
2006 Charger Daytona GoMango
Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: 340wedge] #213555
02/04/09 10:09 PM
02/04/09 10:09 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

You are so right...I mean how sad is it that a thread had to get locked over a fuel filter! ..

That thread was a Train Wreck from the first post....Probably more like a Bullet Train Wreck....

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: 340wedge] #213556
02/04/09 10:46 PM
02/04/09 10:46 PM
The Last Frontier
Alaska_A12 Offline
master
Alaska_A12  Offline
master

The Last Frontier
Quote:

Fuel filters? We don't need no stinking fuel filters!! Let's talk air cleaner wing nuts.

______________________________________________ http://regcars.homestead.com/car107.html
Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: Paul Jacobs] #213557
02/04/09 10:53 PM
02/04/09 10:53 PM
Ball Ground, Georgia
Dixie Offline
top fuel
Dixie  Offline
top fuel

Ball Ground, Georgia
Well said Paul.

Dixie Restoration Parts
Phone -(770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-5pm EST
email: mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price.
Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: Paul Jacobs] #213558
02/05/09 12:22 AM
02/05/09 12:22 AM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Hello Mr. Paul Jacobs! As always it is good to hear from you. I hope I do not ruin your thread and the input to follow. Lord knows I have been a lightning rod no matter which direction I come from.

I want to start off by telling everyone here who does not personally know me that I have always had the best intentions and attitude towards this hobby (and Members) as humanly possible. Admittedly I have had quite a few confrontations on this board and can guarantee that I have never intended to start the avalanches that usually follow. None the less I should probably keep a better posture and ignore the pokes when they occur. I apologize for the things that have gotten out of hand!

Concerning the topic, when I was a kid (just yesterday) I can vividly remember my older brother’s friends pulling up to our house, driving just about every brand of Muscle Car on the road. I loved every one of them….the Orange 1970 440 Cuda owned by Gary Wood, the Hugger Orange/white stripes 69 Z28 owned by Bob Zietler and the 1965 Shelby Mustangs (one black/one green) that were owned by the Brunsman Brothers. What great memories….what a great time…1971! I was 10 years old. I never imagined that I would have the privilege and honor of serving a market that had been such an influence to me while I was growing up. This has ALWAYS been a genuine obsession for me. It was never started with aspirations for monetary gains or public notoriety. I truly love being able to serve and contribute to a "cause" that has been my passion from when I was a kid to present day. Yes…I have a life! I just enjoy attempting to do my absolute best, to “restore” a part of history that is near and dear to me.

Many know that I don’t drive my cars. Its not that I can’t, my enjoyment is simply bringing back the cars that represent those nostalgic times I experienced as a young boy. Even though my brother’s buddies cars were not perfect by today’s standards, THAT is the way I remember them. I was just a kid standing in the driveway while my brother and his friends teased me about playing with Hot Wheels! Now I simply enjoy stepping out in the garage and imagining what it must have been like (as an adult) to stand next to one of these awesome vehicles, in a new car showroom, back in 1970!?! That may be weird to some but that is my true enjoyment. I drive and abuse the new “Muscle cars” that are current for today. I never want to change the “majestic” perception of the cars that was created when I was a kid! I prefer to envision them just the way I used to (30 some odd years ago) and cherish the memories that they provide from the past.

Oh the memories of being a kid in the early 1970s!

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: ECS] #213559
02/05/09 12:28 AM
02/05/09 12:28 AM
Wausau Wi
C
Convertcuda Offline
mopar
Convertcuda  Offline
mopar
C

Wausau Wi
Well said Dave.

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: Convertcuda] #213560
02/05/09 10:04 AM
02/05/09 10:04 AM
ILL
M
MLR426 Offline
master
MLR426  Offline
master
M

ILL
When I was 6 years old my dad drove into our drive way with a new 69 Road Runner and It was
love at first site. Also at that same time a friend of my Dad's drove up in a Red 69 Coronet
R/T with a black top and ramcharger hood, man did I get charged up seeing that. I knew from that
point what I was going to be owning in the future.
A few weeks after my dad had the roadrunner he took me to my first drag race event in it, on our
way to strip we stop to gas up in Fairfield,IL. While sitting at the station I looked toward the highway and saw another inspiring site a 65 Super Stock Dodge on a trailer headed toward the drags. That day at the strip inspired me for the rest of my life with a love for the cars.

As with many that have posted I also agree that the defensive posturing is not needed on this board nor do I like to read it. People want to defend theirselves and I understand that but enough is enough.
Many members set back and don't get involved, and want to ask questions but they don't because they fear they are going to be asking a stupid question. Their is no such thing as a stupid question, if you don't know something ask.
Members fear they are going to get BURNT at the stake for answering a question wrong, so some in
return don't want to get involved with answering or getting involved in a post at all. With as many members that are registered on moparts not many get involved with the board over all.
As with many members I sometimes get a kick out of seeing some of the cartoon or animated figures
added into post. I have also wondered many times why isn't their a animated (HANDSHAKE SYMBOL)
which is a gesture of good faith and show of respect. I can say that I'm a certified mopar
nut case since the age of 6 when my dad pulled into our driveway with a new 69 Road Runner, it
was all over with what brand I was going to own.

logan426

Last edited by Logan426; 02/05/09 10:27 AM.
Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: MLR426] #213561
02/05/09 11:48 AM
02/05/09 11:48 AM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
I don't drive my 7600 mile trailer queen to speak of but I was lucky enough to be able to talk my Mom into cosigning to let me buy a brand new 69 RoadRuner. I got it 4 days before my 20th birthday $80.69/month for three years with a $300 down payment! I couldn't afford the gas but that did not stop me. It was a Y3, coupe/A87 package, 3.23 open rear. I will never, never forget the day I pulled it out of the lot! I have owned a 69 RR ever since that day although most with more than one carb since my first one. I never bought it for the value but am glad they have appreciated. Anyone that talks to me knows that I am an enthusiast who just likes to share my experience whether they have a beater 6 cylinder Duster or a Hemi convertible. In 40 years, I have gone through the gears flat out more than most guys could dream of! It's not for the money, it's a passion for the cars and whatever is said in the forum can't sway that so it never bothers me. It's just entertaining no matter what and part of the passion to hear/know more about the cars through others. I restore them because I like owning them and, as an amateur, am proud to be able to do it to the level I can so that I can show them. Now the question is why do I show them? It's because I'm proud of my experience and want to share it with those who appreciate it! This is a great hobby!

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: Paul Jacobs] #213562
02/05/09 01:05 PM
02/05/09 01:05 PM
Houston, Tx
hemi68charger Offline
master
hemi68charger  Offline
master

Houston, Tx
I love the resurrection of something old to something new, the knowledge developed during research and the friendships that develop. I love the looks of these Mopars. Tinkering with Mopars have been in my blood since I was 15 years old and I've owned at least one Charger at any given time ever since, and I'm 45 now.

Personally, I'm into the OEM look, albeit I'll take liberties here and there for my own personal tastes. The term trailer-queen is often over used and misplaced for it's a reflection on the individual, not the car. A car can only do what the owner wants it to do (or at the very least, hopes to have something done).

I'm not one of these guys that'll over restore a car and then be afraid to drive it. There's a balance between practicality and fun sometimes. Like now at this stage in my life, I have a toddler. I'm not going to drive a classic ride for 100 + miles and worry about something going wrong. So, I do load the car on the trailer and off I and the family go. I realize the nature of these beasts...

It amazes me when someone says they are selling their car because it's too nice...........

Troy
Houston Mopar Connection Club
'69 Charger Daytona 440 - auto - 4.10 Dana (now with 426 hemi)
'69 Charger 500 440 - 4speed - 3.54 Dana
'70 Road Runner 383 - 4speed - a/c (now with 440)
Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: ECS] #213563
02/05/09 02:20 PM
02/05/09 02:20 PM
St. Louis, Mo
318 Stroker Offline
master
318 Stroker  Offline
master

St. Louis, Mo
Quote:

I loved every one of them….the Orange 1970 440 Cuda owned by Gary Wood

I knew Gary from the Webster Groves Steak N' Shake days in the early 70's. Didn't that 6-pak Cuda have a bench seat, column automatic?

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: ECS] #213564
02/05/09 03:38 PM
02/05/09 03:38 PM
Dallas, TX
70challrtse Offline
super gas
70challrtse  Offline
super gas

Dallas, TX
Personally, I wouldn't dream of critizing another person for the way they enjoy their property. Although I must admit, I have to bite my tongue when my friend parks his Ferrari in between two beaters in a parking lot.

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: 70challrtse] #213565
02/05/09 03:45 PM
02/05/09 03:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This has been something I have thought about quite a bit. how far to "restore" versus "improve" considering my intentions of driving the car everyday, for the rest of my life....
Currently thinking, power windows would be nice, an ECM with flatpanel readout for timing, temp, ratio, tach, etc. Onstar on a Dart Swinger!!!!

Re: Why some people restore cars #213566
02/05/09 05:45 PM
02/05/09 05:45 PM
Houston, Tx
hemi68charger Offline
master
hemi68charger  Offline
master

Houston, Tx
Quote:

This has been something I have thought about quite a bit. how far to "restore" versus "improve" considering my intentions of driving the car everyday, for the rest of my life....
Currently thinking, power windows would be nice, an ECM with flatpanel readout for timing, temp, ratio, tach, etc. Onstar on a Dart Swinger!!!!

Being that I live in Houston as well, I would love to see your Swinger when done........

Troy
Houston Mopar Connection Club
'69 Charger Daytona 440 - auto - 4.10 Dana (now with 426 hemi)
'69 Charger 500 440 - 4speed - 3.54 Dana
'70 Road Runner 383 - 4speed - a/c (now with 440)
Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: 318 Stroker] #213567
02/05/09 11:45 PM
02/05/09 11:45 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

Quote:

I knew Gary from the Webster Groves Steak N' Shake days in the early 70's. Didn't that 6-pak Cuda have a bench seat, column automatic?

Hello Allen! What a small World. I don’t remember the options as well as you probably do but I remember standing in his garage when he started it and blew the mufflers off. Seriously! He forgot to tighten them and they blew right off. He also had (one of three in Missouri at the time) a maroon 69 Boss 429 Mustang. His Mom cosigned for the car when he was 15 years old. Can you imagine having a Boss 9 and being 15 years old? Do you remember his Kawasaki triple motorcycles? How many other guys do you recall from that group? How about Greg Fiezer or Mike Stecher’s 69 Z28 Camaros? What about Marty Faith’s Super duty Trans Am? I made an effort to go back and collect every car (or similar style) that used to pull in my driveway in those days. My corral consists of a 5462 original mile 69 Z28 (I shouldn‘t have sold that one), a 1969 Ram Air III Firebird, a 1970 Grabber blue Boss 302, a 70 Cuda and Challenger and last but not least, a bad to the bone 1970 four door, slant six Valiant! The new cars out weigh the old ones but I would be asking for a beating if I listed those makes and models.

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: ECS] #213568
02/06/09 05:48 PM
02/06/09 05:48 PM
St. Louis, Mo
318 Stroker Offline
master
318 Stroker  Offline
master

St. Louis, Mo
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hello Allen! What a small World. I don’t remember the options as well as you probably do but I remember standing in his garage when he started it and blew the mufflers off. Seriously! He forgot to tighten them and they blew right off. He also had (one of three in Missouri at the time) a maroon 69 Boss 429 Mustang. His Mom cosigned for the car when he was 15 years old. Can you imagine having a Boss 9 and being 15 years old? Do you remember his Kawasaki triple motorcycles? How many other guys do you recall from that group? How about Greg Fiezer or Mike Stecher’s 69 Z28 Camaros? What about Marty Faith’s Super duty Trans Am? I made an effort to go back and collect every car (or similar style) that used to pull in my driveway in those days. My corral consists of a 5462 original mile 69 Z28 (I shouldn‘t have sold that one), a 1969 Ram Air III Firebird, a 1970 Grabber blue Boss 302, a 70 Cuda and Challenger and last but not least, a bad to the bone 1970 four door, slant six Valiant! The new cars out weigh the old ones but I would be asking for a beating if I listed those makes and models.

Dave, I didn't know Gary real well, but i do know he married one of my sister's friends. The name Greg Fiezer does also sound very familiar.

I had just bought my 73 Challenger back then, but it was a 318. After too many prior moving violations, that's all my insurance company would "let" me buy... I was relegated to a spectating role rather than a participatory role in the street racing that went on I-44 between Elm & Berry. Course since I have still have the car, and the horsepower is doubled, I might be able to keep up with them now... Wonder if any else from that old crowd still has their cars...

I do remember one guy had a silver/black stripe, 70 Chevelle, SS-454. Don't remember his name. He showed up one day with brand new Dickie Harrell emblems on the front fender. Says he had Harrell "tune" the car. We always suspected that he did nothing more than get his hands on a new set of emblems...

As far as my memories and recollections of the 70's, let's just suffice it to say that most of them are very "hazy"...

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: 318 Stroker] #213569
02/06/09 07:01 PM
02/06/09 07:01 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
There has been more than a few business owners over the years that strangly mix it up with potential customers. I have never figured that out.

Members differ on what a restoration is and that tends to lead to some conflict.

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: SomeCarGuy] #213570
02/06/09 07:54 PM
02/06/09 07:54 PM
Canuckville
68Cbarge Offline
master
68Cbarge  Offline
master

Canuckville
The first time I plugged in my pooter I signed up here.
I still lurch more than post here.
I will answer a question if I know the answer and have facts to back it up--NO FLUFF.

Like the days of CB radio's you will get people on here who just love shooting off their mouths just to hear themselves talk,IMHO.
Fluff-a-holics.

I respect other people's opinions-but I care little about those thrusting themselves upon other just becuase they can on a web forum.

Prove your stuff-do not throw fluff.

I do not have a trailer queen,nor a race car.
I do have 3 Mopars that I enjoy.
A crusier,a beater,and a project.
"C" what I'm sayin'?
I am building a 1:1 scale car that will get driven.It will look stock but have modern upgrades for reliabilty and power.
If you don't like it,that's fine.I know that not all of us are into C body cars.
Maybe a drive-- with me riding shotgun-- can change your opinion.
I am realizing a dream and I am building it for me.

'68 Newport Custom Barge on a Budget!! BOAB
1973 Satellite WAGON! 318- 3 on the tree!!
2008 Chrysler 300c HEMI!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3