Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
"Of course the firing event happens in the same place as far as the reluctor and pickup are concerned. The rotor will be ahead of where it was with no advance. It does not have to be spot on under the terminal to have the transfer of the spark."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! the rotor will not be advanced compared to the pickup, reluctor, or cap. It will be in the same position at all engine speeds.
The only change in rotor phase will happen with vacuum advance or external timing controls.

"use it 'till it breaks, replace as needed"
Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: TRENDZ] #2034803
03/20/16 12:42 AM
03/20/16 12:42 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Trendz I love you brother, if we were closer I'd treat you to a steak!

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: mickm] #2034806
03/20/16 12:48 AM
03/20/16 12:48 AM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
Can I be a Jerk!
I was so convinced you were wrong. Now I'm battling everyone that has my original thoughts on the subject!
Sorry guys! I'm just funnin.. up

Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: TRENDZ] #2034821
03/20/16 01:24 AM
03/20/16 01:24 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Just do the test come Monday.. please and thank you
wave

Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: TRENDZ] #2034844
03/20/16 02:25 AM
03/20/16 02:25 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted By TRENDZ
"Of course the firing event happens in the same place as far as the reluctor and pickup are concerned. The rotor will be ahead of where it was with no advance. It does not have to be spot on under the terminal to have the transfer of the spark."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! the rotor will not be advanced compared to the pickup, reluctor, or cap. It will be in the same position at all engine speeds.
The only change in rotor phase will happen with vacuum advance or external timing controls.

This is beyond stupid at this point, send me 10000 dollars. I'll take a personal check. Read the following until your eyes bleed. Then just stick a sharp object into them if you still think you are correct.

"With most typical mechanical advance distributors, the weights and springs are located on a plate that also mounts the rotor. As rpm increases, centrifugal force pulls the weights against spring tension and moves the plate, which advances the rotor in relation to the spark plug wire terminals in the distributor cap. The plate that mounts the rotor is connected to the distributor shaft that also spins what is sometimes called a paddle wheel, or reluctor, with 8 lugs on it (for a V8 engine)."

"Mechanical advance moves not only the position of the reluctor in relation to the pickup but also the rotor in relation to the distributor cap spark plug wire terminal."

If you STILL think the rotor doesnt move, if you can possibly map a way in your mind that can happen, go look at the pictures in the article. We dont need to wait for a video. Jeff Smith took care of the whole thing right there. Thank you Jeff, even if you are a Chebby guy.

I want my fair share
Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: mickm] #2034846
03/20/16 02:28 AM
03/20/16 02:28 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Btw I first saw this thing called mechanical advance on a Sun distributor machine decades ago. If anybody reading this does not understand the concept at this point, I suggest a new hobby.

And that you send me money for the free education. Lots of it. Money. Send it.

I want my fair share
Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: SomeCarGuy] #2034849
03/20/16 02:33 AM
03/20/16 02:33 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:
Are you in for ten?

Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: SomeCarGuy] #2034850
03/20/16 02:36 AM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Originally Posted By SomeCarGuy
Btw I first saw this thing called mechanical advance on a Sun distributor machine decades ago. If anybody reading this does not understand the concept at this point, I suggest a new hobby.

Your going to get a free education, you just don't know it yet. up

Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: RapidRobert] #2034851
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted By RapidRobert
Quote:
Are you in for ten?

That the rotor will move in relation to the cap when advanced by the mechanical advance?

I want my fair share
Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: TRENDZ] #2034865
03/20/16 03:19 AM
03/20/16 03:19 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Gambling over state lines? Well, technically it's not gambling if its a sure thing... more like paying your tuition. grin
Seriously though, put a little thought into it. You don't have to bet on a losing hand.
For those that can accept it, here is a neat video on the purposes of needing rotor phasing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWMlNwGW0tM

I still go back to this video... RR says it had a retard
on it.. big deal... so it doesnt move as far.. but the
rotor clearly moves... and the title is Rotor Phasing
EDIT
And this dist is just a mech advance dist .. no vac pot
wave

Last edited by MR_P_BODY; 03/20/16 03:21 AM.
Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: mickm] #2034871
03/20/16 03:33 AM
03/20/16 03:33 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
I dunno what he is trying to say. Maybe that a mopar ecu box will hold the charge until the rotor is dead center under the cap terminal?

I mean, that video displays exactly what we have been saying, that the rotor will in fact change place during the advance, yet he still thinks another video needs to be made.

I want my fair share
Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: SomeCarGuy] #2034911
03/20/16 10:10 AM
03/20/16 10:10 AM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI

So what is your new hobby going to be?

Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: SomeCarGuy] #2034952
03/20/16 11:39 AM
03/20/16 11:39 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:
Are you in for ten?

That the rotor will move in relation to the cap when advanced by the mechanical advance?

Yes. My position is: a regular dist with vac adv and mech adv with no weird add ons such as nitrous retard etc, that the mech adv does not change rotor phasing so if you cap the can the RP will not change at any amount of mech advance and RP will be checked by tossing on a cap with the hole drilled in the top then using a timing light to in effect freeze it (which is how RP is checked), that the rotor will NOT shift/move... (I feel like I am drawing up a legal document!). One Moparter to another, you would be betting that the rotor phasing will move with mech adv only and I will cover the bet for ten. (I have PP and I can send a ten dollar bill in an envelope to take care of my end as needed). I just checked the dist in my truck 3 days ago & reconfirmed my position, the rotor did not budge when I revved it high with the can unplugged/hose capped and I was definitely up high enough to be into the springs/advancing. Are you in brother!

Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: TRENDZ] #2035019
03/20/16 01:25 PM
03/20/16 01:25 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't

Spending your money.

I want my fair share
Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: RapidRobert] #2035028
03/20/16 01:34 PM
03/20/16 01:34 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:
Are you in for ten?

Yes. My position is: a regular dist with vac adv and mech adv with no weird add ons such as nitrous retard etc, that the mech adv does not change rotor phasing so if you cap the can the RP will not change at any amount of mech advance and RP will be checked by tossing on a cap with the hole drilled in the top then using a timing light to in effect freeze it (which is how RP is checked), that the rotor will NOT shift/move... (I feel like I am drawing up a legal document!). One Moparter to another, you would be betting that the rotor phasing will move with mech adv only and I will cover the bet for ten. (I have PP and I can send a ten dollar bill in an envelope to take care of my end as needed). I just checked the dist in my truck 3 days ago & reconfirmed my position, the rotor did not budge when I revved it high with the can unplugged/hose capped and I was definitely up high enough to be into the springs/advancing. Are you in brother!

This one is already over. Send me my money. You have yet again failed to provide evidence of the entire rest of the world being wrong. The video, pics, and text posted in this thread proves beyond a shadow of doubt the rotor moves. If yours does not, your mech advance is frozen up. I have asked repeatedly for you to explain what advances the timing. You have failed to say anything beyond "magic." I'll ask one final time before taking your money-

WHAT CHANGES THE TIMING IF NOT THE MECHANICAL ADVANCE IN THE DISTRIBUTOR MOVING THE ROTOR/RELUCTOR?

P body long ago explained the light will fire when the event occurs. Watching the video you can see the rotor move in real time.

I want my fair share
Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: SomeCarGuy] #2035038
03/20/16 01:48 PM
03/20/16 01:48 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

This one is already over. Send me my money. You have yet again failed to provide evidence of the entire rest of the world being wrong. The video, pics, and text posted in this thread proves beyond a shadow of doubt the rotor moves. If yours does not, your mech advance is frozen up. I have asked repeatedly for you to explain what advances the timing. You have failed to say anything beyond "magic." I'll ask one final time before taking your money-

WHAT CHANGES THE TIMING IF NOT THE MECHANICAL ADVANCE IN THE DISTRIBUTOR MOVING THE ROTOR/RELUCTOR?

P body long ago explained the light will fire when the event occurs. Watching the video you can see the rotor move in real time.
It ain't over! we're still in the middle of it. YES the mech adv in the dist changes the timing. that is absolutely correct but that ain't what I am saying, My position is "that mech adv will NOT alter the rotor position in relation to the cap when it fires (the rotor phasing)". If you are saying that it will change are you in for ten? With the light freezing the rotor (how RP is checked) the rotor will not budge from mech adv. Forget the other videos as trendz is (I believe) going to provide us with a video & Mr P Body is going to abide by the results as will I (will you?). PS my mech adv is NOT locked up/stuck & I've seen the same on multiple dists (same procedure)

Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: SomeCarGuy] #2035050
03/20/16 02:11 PM
03/20/16 02:11 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
To me that vid proves it very simple..and its
from a known company that is trying to help
people out to show them how to correct things
if they are bad.. as to retarded timing.. that
in the ECU.. its done electronically and the
rotor has still moved
wave

Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: SomeCarGuy] #2035068
03/20/16 02:29 PM
03/20/16 02:29 PM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI

Spending your money.

That was good. I'll give you that beer

Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: mickm] #2035123
03/20/16 03:59 PM
03/20/16 03:59 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Just give my winnings money you owe to a local nonprofit or church. If you cant or wont review the materials posted then i cant compel you otherwise to pay off. This was never about money, rather i have an active distaste for misinformation being spread.

I asked for source material for even a shred of proof the rotor does not move in an unlocked mechanical advance distributor and none was posted. Instead i keep getting some subterfuge about a video to be made. We already have one produced by the industry sales leader in ignition parts. Im sure they would be amused by the notion a couple of hobbiests think they will school them on the topic.

I want my fair share
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15