03/08/16 12:26 AM
Aurora, CO
jbeintherockies Offline OP
enthusiast
jbeintherockies  Offline OP
enthusiast

Aurora, CO
Hello,

I want to buy a tow rig and an enclosed trailer.

Tow Rig:
The tow rig will only make long hauls (500+ miles or more) maybe once a year. The remainder will be closer hauls (>100 miles). I would like to also put a camper in the bed of it. This means it would need to be able to handle both a camper in its bed and a 20 ft (or 24 ft) enclosed car trailer at the same time. I also live in Colorado, so mountain driving will be needed at times. The new diesels are so much money (45k and up) that I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on one them. My ultimate truck would be a diesel dually with the ASIN trans (maybe even auto-leveling). But that is big bucks. Will a 1500 do the job? Diesel or gas? What years? I am a Mopar guy, but would consider GMC/Chevy/Ford. Friends have told me to go for the 2006-early 2007 Ram diesel models. Whatever I decide to do, I don't want to end up with a worn out truck that isn't reliable and needs a bunch of repairs.

Enclosed Trailer:
Next, I want to buy an enclosed trailer to haul my car in. I am currently looking for used trailers in the 20 to 24 foot lengths. Which length is best? What options are worth considering? I am not a racer and just want the enclosed trailer to protect the car during hauls.

Any suggestions and guidance on either/both will be very helpful. I am trying to gather as much info as I can at this point to make a good decision.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by jbeintherockies; 03/08/16 12:29 AM.
Re: Newbie looking for truck and trailer suggestions/tips [Re: jbeintherockies] #2026991
03/08/16 02:20 AM
03/08/16 02:20 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
As far as the truck, some folks pull an enclosed trailer under gentle conditions with a 1500 or 1/2 ton but it is marginal. With enclosed trailer + camper, I'd say 3/4 ton minimum and preferably 1 ton. A weight distributing hitch spec'ed for 10,000 lb would be important to help the truck handle the tongue weight especially with camper.

Either gas or diesel can do it. Diesel would handle the hills better. A 5.7 or better 6.1 l truck HEMI would get the job done with correct specs... a rear end ratio around 4.10 being high on the list.

Re: Newbie looking for truck and trailer suggestions/tips [Re: ahy] #2027124
03/08/16 11:48 AM
03/08/16 11:48 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
I have a 2015 Dodge 2500 4x4 regular cab longbox with the 5.7 Hemi and 3.73 gears and it tows my 24' enclosed just fine and even my 32' LQ trailer with ease. The truck is rated to tow 11,500 lbs and the LQ trailer is 11,200 lbs with my 69 D200 in it. I do use a weight distributing hitch when towing that heavy, but not with the 24' trailer. You can get the 6.4 Hemi in it also rated at 400 HP and 429 torque but I opted for the smaller Hemi with 383 HP and 400 torque as I drive it daily. wave Diesels get about the same mileage as my Hemi with at least an $8K upcharge... eek

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Newbie looking for truck and trailer suggestions/tips [Re: jbeintherockies] #2027127
03/08/16 11:54 AM
03/08/16 11:54 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
You want to do a camper and a 20-24' enclosed trailer simultaneously? Then you need to be be looking at 1 tons. That's a lot of weight for the back of a pickup and no half ton is going to cut it. A lot of 3/4 tons will even be pushed beyond their max.

Re: Newbie looking for truck and trailer suggestions/tips [Re: jbeintherockies] #2027210
03/08/16 02:27 PM
03/08/16 02:27 PM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you will need a diesel dually.

The 6.4 and the V10's are wonderful but you are talking in the neighborhood of probably 18,000 plus pounds combined weight, a high center of gravity with the camper and the miserable aero drag it will add.

You almost need a mini-Freightliner.

Here's an alternative that many people do:

A Class A or Class C motorhome in the 30' range and a 20' Enclosed. They have been doing V10 Fords in these for a number of years now and they stand up.

......and buy a cool D-100 for $500 if you still need a truck.

hauler.jpgd100.jpg

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: Newbie looking for truck and trailer suggestions/tips [Re: jbeintherockies] #2027257
03/08/16 03:57 PM
03/08/16 03:57 PM
Canada
WO23Coronet Offline
master
WO23Coronet  Offline
master

Canada
If it's one or the other (pulling a trailer or having a slide in camper) than a 3/4 ton will do it. If you want new than get a 6.4 gas if you don't want a diesel. Both at the same time then it's 1 ton time. As much as I think that guys go diesel right away when they don't have to, this is one situation where I'd recommend a diesel over a gas. If you don't want the extra troubles of a new diesel, then take your time and hold out for an older pre emissions one in good shape.

Re: Newbie looking for truck and trailer suggestions/tips [Re: WO23Coronet] #2027578
03/08/16 11:39 PM
03/08/16 11:39 PM
Aurora, CO
enthusiast
enthusiast

Aurora, CO
Thank you for all of the suggestions.

The diesel dually would provide stability and the pulling power that will be needed to climb the various mountain passes.

It doesn't sound like there is a consensus of which year dually ram diesels are the best. How would I know if it was taken care of? At what mileage point do things start to need rebuilding/replacing?

Re: Newbie looking for truck and trailer suggestions/tips [Re: jbeintherockies] #2027608
03/09/16 12:14 AM
03/09/16 12:14 AM
Canada
WO23Coronet Offline
master
WO23Coronet  Offline
master

Canada
Anything with a 5.9 is pre emissions and better on fuel and doesn't have DPF or EGR.

Re: Newbie looking for truck and trailer suggestions/tips [Re: jbeintherockies] #2027878
03/09/16 03:17 PM
03/09/16 03:17 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By jbeintherockies
Thank you for all of the suggestions.

The diesel dually would provide stability and the pulling power that will be needed to climb the various mountain passes.

It doesn't sound like there is a consensus of which year dually ram diesels are the best. How would I know if it was taken care of? At what mileage point do things start to need rebuilding/replacing?

My preference is the 12v 5.9's. They are the simplest ones and the least costly to keep on the road. However they don't have the power of the later models, and the trucks they were installed into don't have the refinements of the later models. I owned a 24v 5.9 and while the throttle response and power was great, for an occasional use vehicle, I'm happier with the mechanically injected 12v 5.9. That being said, finding an older one in good shape is tough. The 12v truck I have now has 340k miles on it, the 24v one I used have had 240k miles. On the automatics, the transmissions tend to go out around 200k miles. On the 24v 5.9's the lift pumps tend to go out around there too and tend to take the injector pump out with them.

Another thing to consider, shortly after I sold my 24v 5.9, my buddy bought an identical truck with the v10/5sp. It was a great driving truck, lots of power without the costly parts of a diesel. However I did have a 5-8mpg lead over him.

Re: Newbie looking for truck and trailer suggestions/tips [Re: jbeintherockies] #2028528
03/10/16 02:11 PM
03/10/16 02:11 PM
Cruising!
Q
QuickDodge Offline
super stock
QuickDodge  Offline
super stock
Q

Cruising!
It would be wise to go camper shopping first. The weight of truck campers varies considerably. You should also add in the weight of all the stuff you will carry inside the camper.

Second, I'd shop for a trailer. You need to know how much the trailer will weigh when fully loaded.

The reason for camper shopping first is that some of the heaviest truck campers fully loaded with personal gear could be close to the maximum load (or GVW) you can legally carry on a one ton. If you want a real heavy camper and want to tow a heavy trailer, a one ton truck may not be up to the job. The reason for this is that you also must add the tongue weight of the trailer to the load on the truck. A combination of a heavy camper and a heavy trailer could require a Ram 5500 or a similar truck.

The length of the camper is also a factor. Some of the campers hang off the rear of the truck bed. With these campers, a hitch extension is required. I have no experience towing with such a hitch, but would suggest looking into this before selecting a camper and truck.

Re: Newbie looking for truck and trailer suggestions/tips [Re: jbeintherockies] #2028690
03/10/16 06:58 PM
03/10/16 06:58 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Very good points. I would also suggest going with a long box truck. The 8' box trucks have a higher GVW, and most truck campers are designed for the 8' box so hopefully no hitch extension required.

Re: Newbie looking for truck and trailer suggestions/tips [Re: QuickDodge] #2036126
03/21/16 11:52 PM
03/21/16 11:52 PM
Aurora, CO
enthusiast
enthusiast

Aurora, CO
Originally Posted By QuickDodge
It would be wise to go camper shopping first. The weight of truck campers varies considerably. You should also add in the weight of all the stuff you will carry inside the camper.

Second, I'd shop for a trailer. You need to know how much the trailer will weigh when fully loaded.

The reason for camper shopping first is that some of the heaviest truck campers fully loaded with personal gear could be close to the maximum load (or GVW) you can legally carry on a one ton. If you want a real heavy camper and want to tow a heavy trailer, a one ton truck may not be up to the job. The reason for this is that you also must add the tongue weight of the trailer to the load on the truck. A combination of a heavy camper and a heavy trailer could require a Ram 5500 or a similar truck.

The length of the camper is also a factor. Some of the campers hang off the rear of the truck bed. With these campers, a hitch extension is required. I have no experience towing with such a hitch, but would suggest looking into this before selecting a camper and truck.

I was talking to a friend about what I am looking to do.

He suggested the trailer toad to help out with tongue weight. He said Ford makes the F450 with a pickup bed; but Dodge does not. If they did, then going the 4500 route would be the logical choice.

http://www.trailertoad.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=TRAILER+...600&bih=763

Anyone have experience with the trailer toad or know someone who uses it?

Re: Newbie looking for truck and trailer suggestions/tips [Re: jbeintherockies] #2036154
03/22/16 12:30 AM
03/22/16 12:30 AM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Originally Posted By jbeintherockies
Originally Posted By QuickDodge

I was talking to a friend about what I am looking to do.

He suggested the trailer toad to help out with tongue weight. He said Ford makes the F450 with a pickup bed; but Dodge does not. If they did, then going the 4500 route would be the logical choice.

http://www.trailertoad.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=TRAILER+...600&bih=763

Anyone have experience with the trailer toad or know someone who uses it?

Tall order....The toads are expensive, but will allow a light duty truck to do what you want I think if it clears the camper overhang. You may need a hitch extension...Campers with a bathroom have long overhangs...Check the length.

http://www.torklift.com/index.php/products/towing/superhitch-supertruss

Somthing else not mentioned by you, what size car goes in the trailer. A 20ft is limited and a 68 Charger is not going to fit too well in it, if at all. I recommend a 24ft for almost anything car related and its what I tow. I fit either one of my cars in my 24' trailer plus all my gear and a 4 wheeler. It all just fits, although I do not own a B-body. Get a trailer with a drivers side escape door so you can drive the car in...Saves lots of time.

Your in the same boat as me really.....We want to do one or two longer distance trips/yr and stay in the truck and camp.

I already have a capable 3/4 ton 03 Dodge and its turned up a bit. Makes some of the newer ones seem a little slow really. Just test drove a 2014 for $38k the other day with the six speed 68re.....aaanh I will keep mine.

The 1/2 tons with the 8-speeds will pull the weight and the only gas setup I would even consider, but the rear suspension will not handle it. Weight distribution is really needed with an enclosed, and with a camper....I would not.

Last edited by Dragula; 03/22/16 12:43 AM.

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: Newbie looking for truck and trailer suggestions/tips [Re: Dragula] #2036485
03/22/16 02:47 PM
03/22/16 02:47 PM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
I have an 07 CTD and pull a 24' trailer. I pull about twice a year. I hauled a 71 RR which was effortless . I'm at 206K on the truck and it doesn't miss a beat. Given where you live a diesel would be my choice. Of course you'll have to decide if you want 4wd. There are a couple CTDs in the for sale section that look pretty good and are reasonably priced. As far as a trailer buy a new one. Some dealers have some previous year models left on the lot and I'm sure you could get a good deal.

“So if it’s on the internet it must be true”

Abe Lincoln