11/28/05 11:49 AM
11/28/05 11:49 AM
T
tommyg Offline
mopar
tommyg  Offline
mopar
T

So when they say "it is coming", do they mean the concept and production or just concept? According to the design chief, no plans for production...

from autoblog.com:

Chrysler released a small podcast for us journalists in which Kevin Verduyn, the Design Chief at Chrysler’s Advance Product Design Studio in Pacifica, CA, speaks out on the Challenger Concept that will debut at the Detroit show in January. Verduyn claims that the design originally took inspiration from muscle cars in general of the era, although as these pictures illustrate it turned out to be all Charger. The concept does have a full back seat and if produced Verduyn says he’d vote to keep it two-door.

Speaking of production, Verduyn states there are no plans to produce the Challenger Concept, although a positive reaction at the Detroit show will bolster its business case. Quite frankly, we can’t imagine the Chrysler Group, of all automakers, would pass on this concept. The company pressed the Prowler into service with a much weaker business case and as we all know, the modern muscle car segment is begging for players.

Re: new Challenger? [Re: tommyg] #19054
11/28/05 12:02 PM
11/28/05 12:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't understand the whole process, but from what I understand the Challenger is not so important in regards to the actual car, but what it represents. There is a fundimental shift in the way that the LX platform is being built on the factory line. Much smarter people than me on Allpar.com have tried to explain it, but I can't repeat how exactly they put it, so here is my explanation:

The new technology they are TRYING OUT is a way that multiple models of the same platform (LX) can be made on the same line in a manner that can be described as "Just in Time." Rather than put out a concurrant run of 5k Challengers in a row, they can make 1k, and put them out into dealers hands, and see how they do. If the Challenger (or any other LX) has high demand, they can put them through the line in the corresponding mix. So, in my understanding, they are being coy about when and how many Challengers will be produced because it really doesn't matter how many they SAY they will produce, since the overall goal is to keep that one factory running as close to %100 capacity all the time, and to sell each and every car it produces WITHOUT incentives.

The whole technique that DCX is trying out is MUCH more important to the company than the Challenger itself. However, getting the Challenger out is a proof of concept, and if it works, it means very very good things for DCX and the possibility of new and exciting models in the future (and even possibly mid year models and improvements).

Re: new Challenger? #19055
11/28/05 01:19 PM
11/28/05 01:19 PM
The Naughty Spot
BirdinPieces Offline
master
BirdinPieces  Offline
master

The Naughty Spot
I had a thought this weekend and want to run it past you guys:

Do you think they will make the electronics in the car "tuner" friendly?

If I want to add headers, a different cam, etc. to up the output of the motor, I dont want to have to fight with a closed system that wont allow the changes. I also dont want a "one size fits all" chip that is preprogrammed. Those systems SUCK.

Any thoughts/opinions?

The Bird Some are wise, and some are otherwise... Say what you want, but in the end, it is what it is...
Re: new Challenger? [Re: BirdinPieces] #19056
11/28/05 02:01 PM
11/28/05 02:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

good question, but I think this car will be a lot like the LX cars. Is the Charger/300/Magnum tuner friendly? DCX might make you pay for an SRT-8 if you want any real performance.

Re: new Challenger? #19057
11/28/05 02:12 PM
11/28/05 02:12 PM
Here
DirectSubjection Offline
Tacohead. The First and Only
DirectSubjection  Offline
Tacohead. The First and Only

Here
Quote:

I think this car will be a lot like the LX cars.\

They aren't trying to break any new mechanical design ground with it, just new styling venture. I would think it would be similar to them.

Ride eternal, shiny and chrome
Re: new Challenger? [Re: DirectSubjection] #19058
11/28/05 04:39 PM
11/28/05 04:39 PM
Pilot Mound, Iowa
N
Nobody Offline
super gas
Nobody  Offline
super gas
N

Pilot Mound, Iowa
Many refer to the 2006 Charger as the "Magnum Sedan", so as to keep things clear and consistant perhaps the Challenger should be refered to as the "Magnum Coupe"?

Nobody knows better.
Re: new Challenger? [Re: dezduster] #19059
11/28/05 05:40 PM
11/28/05 05:40 PM
Polson, MT
IronYuppie Offline
super gas
IronYuppie  Offline
super gas

Polson, MT
Quote:

A 4 door will never be an exceptional handling or performing vehichle.

The best all-around performing cars for less than $40,000 are the Evo and STi, and both of them have 4 doors. In the One Lap of America top 10, three of them had four doors (300C SRT8, SRT-4, and Evo).

Re: new Challenger? [Re: IronYuppie] #19060
11/28/05 06:05 PM
11/28/05 06:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I beg to differ.....see attachment

Chrysler's new exec sounds promising #19061
11/28/05 09:24 PM
11/28/05 09:24 PM
Richmond, TX
Sinister68 Offline
enthusiast
Sinister68  Offline
enthusiast

Richmond, TX
Just found this article on Chrysler's new exec .

Not really sure but perhaps this is promising for the new Challenger.

-James 2013 Challenger SRT 1968 Charger R/T
Re: new Challenger? #19062
11/28/05 10:48 PM
11/28/05 10:48 PM
SHELBY TWP,,MICHIGAN
72N96RR Offline
I LOVE WEDGIES
72N96RR  Offline
I LOVE WEDGIES

SHELBY TWP,,MICHIGAN
Quote:

Quote:
A 4 door will never be an exceptional handling or performing vehichle...

Check out Cadillacs 4 door rallye cars.. :thumb
They are sweet...

Last edited by 72N96RR; 11/28/05 10:50 PM.
Re: new Challenger? [Re: 72N96RR] #19063
11/28/05 11:30 PM
11/28/05 11:30 PM
NW/Indiana - Chi town
ricomondo Offline
top fuel
ricomondo  Offline
top fuel

NW/Indiana - Chi town
After recently looking at Saleen S281 Mustangs, I had no idea about how the concept car looked until when I saw this thread today. I've seen the great work Doug Schram had done on his site and thats what I thought it was when I saw it. All I can say is, if they (DCX) builds anything even remotely close to what I've seen, I'm all over that car like green on grass!!

GY3 71 Demon 340
Re: Chrysler's new exec sounds promising [Re: Sinister68] #19064
11/28/05 11:32 PM
11/28/05 11:32 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
xs29j8 Offline
master
xs29j8  Offline
master

Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:

Just found this article on Chrysler's new exec .

Not really sure but perhaps this is promising for the new Challenger.

Quote:

from autoblog.com:
Speaking of production, Verduyn states there are no plans to produce the Challenger Concept, although a positive reaction at the Detroit show will bolster its business case.

Quote:

from MSNBC article:
To climb that mountain, LaSorda intends to boost Chrysler's sales by 1 million cars by 2010. Phase 1: next year's new-model onslaught, which will see Jeep double its offerings and Dodge return fire on the Mustang with its own retro-cool Challenger muscle car.

Interesting differences in what the two articles say... I could be wrong, but still believe the car has been approved for production... but it could still be canceled at the last minute if it is not well received by the public (not just the motorheads here... )

Here is a quote from a former Chrysler employee on Allpar...
Quote:

from Allpar.Com thread on the Challenger concept car:
(the guys at DCX are going to shoot me for the following...but here goes....)

An S1 is production intent. What this means is that the architecture of the vehicle (the way parts fit together and are assembled) is finished, the platform is finished (how the car will be assembled from a human production standpoint), and the feasability is finished (the "how the heck do we do this? portion). The only major hurdle to overcome is the production tooling (the "hard tooling") and installation in the real production plant, not the advanced manufacturing plant at Auburn Hills. The destign is also finished-what you see is what you get. The only way the car can be changed now into a 4 door is if there has been one developed concurrently with the 2 door. The only possible thing top go "wrong" is the potential (and it IS real) that final funding is not approved for production. In terms of cost-they are at the breakover point with S1. It is now "do it or don't do it" decision time. There are no other options.

To explain all the details that scream "S1" to me would take pages and I am sure that I would miss some. In general, it is the "theme" of the car-meaning how well the various legal requirements are integrated into the vehicle, how well the ergonomics are integrated (vision sight lines, etc) the completeness of the design. For example- rarely do you see working windows on a concept car (like the 1999 Charger), in these pictures, altho there COULD be removable windows, I doubt it beacuse that assumption (fixed windows) do not fit in with the other details that are present.

I am sorry I don't have more time to go into more detail...I'll try to later...

Best regards.....

--------------------

RW (Bob) Sheaves

At the moment I expect the Challenger to be unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show (NAIAS) as a concept, with another unveiling later in the year as a production version. The car may have a few things to work out yet, like a front impact bumper, reverse light, Etc...

Just my opinions... I wish DCX would come out soon and formally announce that the Challenger will reach production!

XS

Re: Chrysler's new exec sounds promising [Re: xs29j8] #19065
11/28/05 11:51 PM
11/28/05 11:51 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
xs29j8 Offline
master
xs29j8  Offline
master

Fort Worth, Texas
Yet another sign from a post on Allpar... the board member "sleeper" is apparently a current DCX employee and has a good record of providing insight into upcoming vehicles... still, no proof of course!

Note: bold print and underlined print added for emphasis...

Quote:

Today, 07:10 PM Post #670
sleeper
Unusually Active
Group: Members
Member No.: 144

QUOTE(hemidakota @ Nov 28 2005, 10:54 AM)

I do agree with Bob. This car is beyond the concept level.

yes it is

Re: Chrysler's new exec sounds promising [Re: Sinister68] #19066
11/29/05 01:01 AM
11/29/05 01:01 AM
Mopar Country, Mi
ccdave Offline
The Ultimate
ccdave  Offline
The Ultimate

Mopar Country, Mi
What a great answer to the new Mustang!!

Re: Chrysler's new exec sounds promising [Re: xs29j8] #19067
11/30/05 12:03 AM
11/30/05 12:03 AM
Melbourne.....Oz-land
Moparmal Offline
master
Moparmal  Offline
master

Melbourne.....Oz-land
Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best all-around performing cars for less than $40,000 are the Evo and STi, and both of them have 4 doors. In the One Lap of America top 10, three of them had four doors (300C SRT8, SRT-4, and Evo).

Having just taken a Mustang from LA to Vegas and then to Frisco....and then had the opportunity to beat on a Charger SRT8 for 30 mins...I can tell you there is NO comparison.....absolutely NONE....the SRT drives like a gen Hi $$$$ European sports car..the Mustang drives like a sago pudding.....

and I'll say once again...DCX execs don't go winking at Joe Blow and getting all pumped over one off concepts...the new Chally WILL be a reality.

l8r.

Re: new Challenger? [Re: Burt] #19068
11/30/05 12:38 AM
11/30/05 12:38 AM
the left coast
Hank Offline
master
Hank  Offline
master

the left coast
I'm not an E-body guy but I want one.

Re: new Challenger? [Re: IronYuppie] #19069
11/30/05 01:02 AM
11/30/05 01:02 AM
Nevada
D
dezduster Offline
pro stock
dezduster  Offline
pro stock
D

Nevada
Quote:

Quote:

Ok NEVER should never be said. I couldnt tell you what kind of car that is but judging by its movements it isnt a stellar performer it just sat there.
If I were here to debate every car obviously you would be correct to say a Four door can be an exceptional handling or performance vehichle. But my intended point is still acurate, If it was a 2 door it would be that much better.And likley look way better which = more desirable to me.
I am sure that the 300C SRT8 ,SRT-4,AND EVO were bone stock.
I am absolutly positive they were taken down to the local TUNER shop for the works which was paid for by DODGE other than the EVO. A two door version would out perfom each of these cars for no other reason than mass.Its not how much power you have its how little mass you must move or turn. More doors more mass! Speaking of MASS the massive amount of people who like two doors muscle/pony/sports cars are partly the reason for two doors being faster "read MUSTANG/CAMARO". Its not GM or FORD or even DODGE who make these cars stellar performers its the entrepreneur enthusiast who makes our cars such exceptional performers by supplying superior parts than OEM.

Last edited by dezduster; 11/30/05 01:07 AM.
Re: new Challenger? [Re: dezduster] #19070
11/30/05 01:23 AM
11/30/05 01:23 AM
Nevada
D
dezduster Offline
pro stock
dezduster  Offline
pro stock
D

Nevada

Courtesy of DaimlerChrysler
Nice Ride: The Challenger concept car

Where LaSorda ultimately wants to steer Chrysler, though, is out of the Big Three. He'd rather move with the fast crowd: Honda, Nissan and Toyota. "They're the force to be reckoned with," he says. For now, Chrysler is not in their league, making just $500 per car while Toyota banks $2,000 on each model it sells. "Chrysler is on the edge of a cliff," says analyst Sean McAlinden. "They can look down on the rocks and see GM and Ford and look up on the mountain and see Toyota." To climb that mountain, LaSorda intends to boost Chrysler's sales by 1 million cars by 2010.

Phase 1: next year's new-model onslaught, which will see Jeep double its offerings and Dodge return fire on the Mustang with its own retro-cool Challenger muscle car.

LaSorda runs his product-development machine as lean as his factories: Chrysler now spits out 50 percent more new models on a budget that's been cut from $8.5 billion to $6 billion since 2000. "More with less," he says, smiling. "That's the secret of our success."

Re: new Challenger? [Re: dezduster] #19071
11/30/05 08:02 AM
11/30/05 08:02 AM
Fort DODGE, Ioway
O
origcharger Offline
master
origcharger  Offline
master
O

Fort DODGE, Ioway
Quote:

A two door version would out perfom each of these cars for no other reason than mass. More doors more mass!

Becuase of mandated automotive construction safety standards this claim is inaccurate. Comparing cars with usable back seats, there is little differance in mass between a 2 door and 4 door.

Your only point that is not argueable is that you prefer a 2 door over a 4 door.

MOPARTS ALERT!: Chris Pugh aka gabodyman of Dalton, Georgia, cashed my $140 money order on 4-16-02 never sent parts. On 3-19-07 he agreed to return my money; "april 9, it will be in the mail by that date""will do as promised. chris" Still no parts and no money!
Re: new Challenger? [Re: origcharger] #19072
11/30/05 09:05 AM
11/30/05 09:05 AM
Horsham, Pa.
Finoke Offline
master
Finoke  Offline
master

Horsham, Pa.
If Dodge puts out a real muscle Challenger, will it bring the prices of our E body Challengers up, down or steady.

The prices on E bodys have gone nuts over the last 5 years, will it get any crazier!

Does anybody got a feel for what the classic mustang fastbacks have done since the new mustang has been out?

The concept seems to look very similar to my car that is attached

2179722-7.jpg (142 downloads)
Page 19 of 25 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 24 25