07/17/15 01:47 PM
07/17/15 01:47 PM
Allen, TX
R
rutro Offline OP
rutro  Offline OP
R

Allen, TX
OK, first I've been a long time reader, not a big poster. But you guys rock on knowledge.
I’ve had my 70 Challenger R/T SE since 1992. I don't remember having a problem on my front end alignment in the past. My recent alignment couple years ago required the technician to cut the passenger side tie rod sleeve a little over ½” to get enough adjustment. Not sure why. He was recommended. I did redo the whole front end and replaced poly stuff with rubber. I did the previous replace with the poly stuff and didn’t have issues. I might have had a brain fart somewhere along the way. I centered the steering wheel. I have 1-3/4 turns in both directions, give or take a few degrees. The two new tie rod sleeves I just bought and put in is ¼ longer than the originals (which were 8-1/4”), at 8-1/2”. I have adjusted turned them all the way onto the threads. On the driver’s side the wheel “looks” straight and the passenger side is toed in noticeably. Probably why technician had to cut my original sleeve. There is no ability to adjust at all.
I have read about centering the steering box, not sure if that is something I need to look at.
Anyone have initial comments. I don’t want to make this too long. Thanks for any and all help, Mark

Re: Questions on front end alignment and why I'm having issues [Re: rutro] #1872306
07/17/15 02:01 PM
07/17/15 02:01 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
yes with the st wheel halfway between lock to lock (eng idling if power st) you'd want the wheels to be straight ahead or a skosh toed in. So did he align it & it ain't right (you said the one wheel is off). You can trim a sleeve as there are plenty of threads to work with but what was different that he needed to do so in your case. Sounds like an above average alignment guy/with some fab skills. Here's a BTT for ya

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Questions on front end alignment and why I'm having issues [Re: rutro] #1872319
07/17/15 02:34 PM
07/17/15 02:34 PM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
Similar issue on my 70 Challenger RT after replacing steering box with another. Long tale of woe posted elsewhere on this forum. Could not get proper toe even with one tie rod end adjusted 3/4 inch longer than opposite side. Even this would not allow steering gear to position on top center.

Finally shimmed steering box mounting to K member. All is well now.

Does your steering shaft appear to go perfectly straight from firewall on engine side of it into steering box? If not, a shim to straighten it out could be your ticket.

The question then remains is why ok before, and not now. What changed, or was alignment always off a bit.

Re: Questions on front end alignment and why I'm having issues [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1872386
07/17/15 04:49 PM
07/17/15 04:49 PM
Allen, TX
R
rutro Offline OP
rutro  Offline OP
R

Allen, TX
Robert, never paid attention to the alignment before. Drove fine. Ha I g to trim the sleeve concerned me that something was fundamentally wrong. The odd thing after this last alignment, when I gave it gas the car wants to pull to the left, but only when you give it gas. I have put new tires on since then, not sure if that was causing issues, they were from the early 90's.
Sxrxrnr, I will check the steering box and shaft position. Both have been in and out.

The car is currently on jack stands with everything hanging down. That shouldn't contribute to the issues I'm seeing correct?

Re: Questions on front end alignment and why I'm having issues [Re: rutro] #1872421
07/17/15 05:56 PM
07/17/15 05:56 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

The car is currently on jack stands with everything hanging down. That shouldn't contribute to the issues I'm seeing correct?

The front end is not aligned with the front suspension hanging so you can't use what you see a a gauge as to if there is a problem.

The tie rods sleeves being to long to get adjustment is why he had to cut them , but he probably should have cut both sides instead of just one.

When you drive straight down the road and let go of the wheel does the car go straight or does it pull to one direction? If it pulls to one direction that is telling you the box is not on center because it will naturally center itself.

Re: Questions on front end alignment and why I'm having issues [Re: JohnRR] #1872567
07/17/15 09:58 PM
07/17/15 09:58 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Have you ever serviced the pot coupler? If it is disassembled and re-assembled 180 degrees out it can throw off the centering. I did this and took a while to figure it out.