St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
D
David_in_St_Croi Offline OP
top fuel
David_in_St_Croi  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Trying to sneak the RR through inspection. One item on the list is the horn. The horn was not working, a direct connection to the battery did nothing. Disassembled it, drilled out the rivets, had nothing to lose. Plenty of rust. Imagine that in the tropics.

At one point this horn worked, so it is not a case of never working at all, it is a part that was functional but now is not.

Removed the points housing inside the horn. The way it is wired I can not figure out how the elecromagnet completes the circuit. It seemed that everything came back to the same post without going to ground. I realize the body of the horn goes to ground via the mounting bracket and bolt, that is what completes the circuit at some point. I am thinking I reassembled it incorrectly, at least I want to eliminate that option. I believe the issue is on the elecromagnet side, where the two wires are on the same post, with what seems to be an insulator or two between them. One has to have current coming in, so to speak, and the other needs to have a path to ground, but that is not how they seemed to be connected the way I thought it came apart. Hence the confusion, so any guidance on how to hook up the electromagnet side internally is welcome. I don't care about whether or not I rivet the body back together or use bolts, this is not a show car (I used the bonnet as a plug to make a mold for a carbon fibre bonnet to lift off due to the tunnel ram).

If need be I will rob the horn off of Michelle's Land Rover to get through inspection. Think about that, using Lucas electrics as they actually work....

Best, Dave

https://www.facebook.com/THENEWCDRA

Proud member of the liberal scientific elite
Re: Anyone ever repaired a RR horn internally? [Re: David_in_St_Croi] #1832707
05/23/15 10:02 AM
05/23/15 10:02 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Anyone ever repaired a RR horn internally? [Re: 6PakBee] #1832814
05/23/15 01:59 PM
05/23/15 01:59 PM
D
top fuel
top fuel
D

Thanks, I will check it out. I did not think of checking You Tube. Google for once did not come up with anything.

Re: Anyone ever repaired a RR horn internally? [Re: David_in_St_Croi] #1832854
05/23/15 04:12 PM
05/23/15 04:12 PM
WA
T
tman Offline
mopar
tman  Offline
mopar
T

WA
Let us know if it works.

Re: Anyone ever repaired a RR horn internally? [Re: tman] #1833044
05/24/15 12:21 AM
05/24/15 12:21 AM
D
top fuel
top fuel
D

Actually made progress today. Of course, it sounds like a hungover Road Runner with a bad case of constipation but that is still better than before, which was an expired Road Runner similar to the parrot in the Monty Python sketch.

Checked out the You Tube video. Useful but that horn is a different design internally, however the basic principle is the same.

After drilling out the rivets, cleaned up the rusty mess inside. Started checking continuity everywhere. Got the innards basically sorted but the spade connector was not communicating with the inner bits. Took that out, it is held on by a steel stud through a plastic insulator. Sanded everything until shiny. Finally had continuity in the correct order through from the spade connector, through the points, through the electromagnet then to ground. Put the diaphragm and grille back in, installed the two screws that hold it to the bracket to assemble it enough to test. No continuity. Take it apart. Continuity. Make rum drink and contemplate this. Recall that the diaphragm works by being pulled down by the electromagnet until the ring on the diaphragm shaft opens the points as a result of the diaphragm being pulled down by the electromagnet. There is this gasket that is made in a spiral between the diaphragm and the body of the horn that holds all the bits. This gasket kind of fell apart upon dis-assembly. Realized that it would space the diaphragm up, so wondered if it was opening the points too soon. Found the truant bits of gasket and installed them. Continuity! Hook stupid thing up directly to battery. The sound of one hand clapping. Pry at diaphragm. Suddenly hung over Road Runner. Discover that , not surprisingly, when gripping the perimeter of the housing pieces that the pitch changes. Find some small bolts left over from some steel shelves. Just the right size. Put them in. Dead Road Runner time. Loosen up so slightly, continuity is back. Sound slightly better, hangover improving. Seems that a dedicated ground wire from the body will be a good choice. Will set that up tomorrow. Michelle called dinner was ready. That and empty rum drink decided to call it a day. Have to figure out why the horn circuit itself is not working. Relay is new, old one was full of water and a rusty lump (the tropics mon). Have not checked the fuse, suspect that will be the problem, either blown or needs the contacts cleaned.

New master cylinder fixed the no brakes so good there. Reverse lamps work, at least the port one. Suspect a bad ground for the starboard bulb. Had to replace the reverse light switch in the 833 as the lights were on all the time no matter where was the gear shift. Must put in the rebuilt wiper motor. Kim at passion4mopars did a beautiful job, now the rest of the car looks even worse than before. Need to cut hole in old steel bonnet as making new carbon fibre one is a few weeks out, at least July. When pulled mould off steel bonnet most of the paint came with it. Discovered full of even more bondo than suspected so will make it even easier to cut hole.

Last is to cobble together enough of an exhaust to lie my way through inspection. Wish could get Michelle to drive the beast as cute blondes seem to do better at inspection here.

Good Memorial Day to all.