Trying to sneak the RR through inspection. One item on the list is the horn. The horn was not working, a direct connection to the battery did nothing. Disassembled it, drilled out the rivets, had nothing to lose. Plenty of rust. Imagine that in the tropics.

At one point this horn worked, so it is not a case of never working at all, it is a part that was functional but now is not.

Removed the points housing inside the horn. The way it is wired I can not figure out how the elecromagnet completes the circuit. It seemed that everything came back to the same post without going to ground. I realize the body of the horn goes to ground via the mounting bracket and bolt, that is what completes the circuit at some point. I am thinking I reassembled it incorrectly, at least I want to eliminate that option. I believe the issue is on the elecromagnet side, where the two wires are on the same post, with what seems to be an insulator or two between them. One has to have current coming in, so to speak, and the other needs to have a path to ground, but that is not how they seemed to be connected the way I thought it came apart. Hence the confusion, so any guidance on how to hook up the electromagnet side internally is welcome. I don't care about whether or not I rivet the body back together or use bolts, this is not a show car (I used the bonnet as a plug to make a mold for a carbon fibre bonnet to lift off due to the tunnel ram).

If need be I will rob the horn off of Michelle's Land Rover to get through inspection. Think about that, using Lucas electrics as they actually work....

Best, Dave

https://www.facebook.com/THENEWCDRA

Proud member of the liberal scientific elite