Yes
S
sixpakdodge Offline
master
sixpakdodge  Offline
master
S

Yes
The pic Frito posted is the Roger Denney/Rod Shop car.

While it was long believed that the Gold Colt became the stretched Colt, Mark Panos recently cleared this up on another site.

Quote:

After running the AWB Colt for a couple of races with the Gold Colt chassis in it, Donnie and Clyde built a new chassis for it, and the Gold Body was reunited with the Gold frame and went to Kenny Hahn. An easy way to tell the early AWB Colt with the adapted chassis from the later AWB Colt with the purpose built chassis is the location of the rear wheels. The purpose built car had the wheels in a fairly stock location, the adapted chassis had the wheel way to the back. Also, look at the a-pillar roll cage bars between the two cars. You can see the adapter bars to mate the Gold Colt chassis to the AWB body, while the purpose built chassis had the bars tucked up to the a-pillars.

Re: When Chrysler Boycoted NHRA Pro Stock [Re: sixpakdodge] #1305643
09/19/12 01:49 PM
09/19/12 01:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Talked to my chassis guy who did the work on the Challenger. He was sure it was a rebody also.

I have the spread done in June of 78 on the car in Popular Hotrodding. I can't believe some of what is in the article as it says the car had McPherson struts and wighed over 2200 lbs.

Here is the titanuim front split axles from the car.

This is a picture of the car that was in the PHR article. You can see the axles on both sides of the car, just below the fan blade and just above the bottom of the picture as it goes back towards the coilover shock that is attached to the bracket on the axle. Clearly it does not have struts on it.

Re: When Chrysler Boycoted NHRA Pro Stock [Re: sixpakdodge] #1305644
09/19/12 05:27 PM
09/19/12 05:27 PM
Florida
Locomotion Offline
master
Locomotion  Offline
master

Florida
Quote:

The pic Frito posted is the Roger Denney/Rod Shop car.

While it was long believed that the Gold Colt became the stretched Colt, Mark Panos recently cleared this up on another site.

Quote:

After running the AWB Colt for a couple of races with the Gold Colt chassis in it, Donnie and Clyde built a new chassis for it, and the Gold Body was reunited with the Gold frame and went to Kenny Hahn. An easy way to tell the early AWB Colt with the adapted chassis from the later AWB Colt with the purpose built chassis is the location of the rear wheels. The purpose built car had the wheels in a fairly stock location, the adapted chassis had the wheel way to the back. Also, look at the a-pillar roll cage bars between the two cars. You can see the adapter bars to mate the Gold Colt chassis to the AWB body, while the purpose built chassis had the bars tucked up to the a-pillars.

Interesting! Thanks.

Re: When Chrysler Boycoted NHRA Pro Stock [Re: ] #1805819
04/17/15 08:11 PM
04/17/15 08:11 PM
SLC, Utah
M
mgpanos Offline
mgpanos  Offline
M

SLC, Utah
Those titanium suspension pieces were a thing of beauty! As you said, this Allard-type suspension was pretty common with all of the Carlton/Hodges-built chassis. It is very lightweight yet rugged. After Carlton died, Clyde built a couple more cars with this type suspension (I remember seeing an all-fiberglass body Colt on his chassis jig with this suspension in 1980, think I even have a photo), then went to Lamb struts when he built Roy Johnson's Omni/Charger for econo-altered.

Google Allard Suspension and look at images of the Allard cars and you will see how under acceleration the front wheels/tires will remind you of Carlton's B/A Dart.

Re: When Chrysler Boycoted NHRA Pro Stock [Re: mgpanos] #1806108
04/18/15 09:37 AM
04/18/15 09:37 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
That was a tuff time for us diehard Mopar lovers who grew up watching Ronnie Sox dominate in Superstock from 1967 to 1970. NHRA really shafted Mopar by added weight to the Hemi because Mopar dominated the first two years of Pro Stock. 1969 was a cool year as NHRA ran a Superstock class called X/SS which was basically heads up Superstock and they ran it because Sox , Landy Jenkins and Dyno Don were sick of running on the breaks in SS and wanted to race in a heads up class so the X/SS class in 1969 was a trail run to Pro Stock to see how the fans liked it and they loved it. I remembr in mid to late 1969 Ronnie Sox ran a 9.92 in his 68 Cuda at an AHRA SS race with the crossram on the Hemi that they had been using since 1964. But when Pro Stock started the Mopar guys realized the crosram intake was hurting them in power compared to the power they could make running a tunnel ram so some Pro Stock races made there own tunnel rams. Thats one reason as soon as Sox & Martin put a tunnel ram type intake on their 70 Cuda they instantly were running a good tenth or two faster the the fastest Chevy in the country (Jenkins) and even more ahead of the Fords who were running the Boss 429 and the 427 Cammer. Which Dyno Don did get this Cammer Maverick to run right with the Hemi's when he had it running good and staying together. 1970 to 1972 was one of the best times ever to be a Mopar fan next to the 1962 to 1966 era of Max Wedges and Hemi's. Don Grother did run a 1971 Road Runner in either A/MP or SS for a few years as I remember Butch Leal drove the Road Runner some for Don. And Butch Leal ran a 1965 Hemi SS car after he boycotted Pro Stock with the other Mopar drivers . And I remember Don Carlton and Sox running IHRA Pro Stock for some time after boycotting NHRA. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 04/18/15 09:38 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2